PDA

View Full Version : What Colors to Start With and Tools

tom041652
10-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I am brand new at oil pastels. My background is in Oil and Acrylic painting but I find when I am working on a new piece for painting I want some color in my draft to get a better idea of the composition and colors and after using some cheap student grade Oil Pastels my granddaughter had (way too waxy) but I got a general idea.

I have picked up some pointers here and I believe I am going with a set of the Sennelier Oil Pastels the set of 24 for lanscape and 24 for still life to start with. (http://www.dickblick.com/zz200/38/)

Now my question what paper should I use and other tools for manipulation and blending. I have a set of STABILO 24 CHALK PASTEL PENCILS FOR DETAILS, AND DERWENT STUDIO SET OF 12 COLORED PENCILS. I have plenty of blending stumps, 2nd hand paint brushes. So what else do I need

And yes, like a lot of begginers I over buy when starting out and I don't mind spending money for good paper if it is worth it.

Not sure if I am going to take each piece to a complete finish, I want to get a good idea on color and composition on each piece before I put a brush to the canvas. Will continue reading this thread.

:wave:

Mulberry
11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Just wondered if you'd gone with your color choices and if you were happy with them? I just bought the Still Life Set, but see that I need to supplement that with another set of 24 (all I can afford). Did those sets together give you a nice mix? Thanks!

tom041652
11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I opted for the 50 color wooden box. Pretty much all that I need, now I need to figure out how to use them. Need a few tools for blending and maybe some solvent.

Pat Isaac
11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Tom and welcome to the OP forum. I'm glad you have made some choices, but you would really get a lot more info if you posted in the oil pastel talk forum. Maybe you could copy your original post over there and start a new thread.
Solvent is not a necessity, but a matter of choice. Experiment and see what works for you. I could move it for you if you want, but then you wouldn't know about it so it would be better if you started a thread over there. Here is a link to it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=432
Good luck and feel free ask more questions.

Pat

tom041652
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Pat for the offer, I have already made my purchase the Senniler 50 assorted in the wood box. As to this thread, well I don't see any reason to move it, being the moderator you can close or delete it if you want. Will check out more of the other listings in OP

Pat Isaac
11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
No, I won't delete it. I just wanted to make sure you received all the info you needed and wanted. Peruse around as there is lots of info. Senns are my favorite.
Pat

Scarefishcrow
11-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome to both Tom and Mulberry to the Oil Pastel Channel. We are glad you joined us in trying your hand at OP.

Pat has givent you some suggestions and a link. For members new to the OP Channel we ask that you read through the thread accessed by clicking on "Newbie" in my signature line. (There are other helpful links in my siggie line as well). Doing so will take you to a thread that provides answers to the most common questions about how the Channel is organized into various forums, what each forum is for and guidlines on where to post what and giving and getting critiques.

It also contains links to ALL the OP forums and subforums, links to threads giving basics on tools and brands of OP and other general questions.

We want to be as much help as possible and provide you with information you need; posting questions in the OP Talk forum will most likely get you more responses. If you browse the OP Talk forum for the past month there have been a number of threads that have extensive discussion of the topics you are interested in.

If you have trouble finding the info, please don't hesitate to start a thread in OP Talk and ask your questions. This is a GREAT bunch of people and just about everyone acts as a Guide whether they are called that or not. Everyone wants to help and support your goals.

Thanks again for coming in and hope to see you around the forum.

Bill:thumbsup: