PDA

View Full Version : Question About Oil Pastels. Help!

Corrie Scott
07-30-2002, 04:43 PM
Is there a fixative or drying agent that works for oil pastels so that they do not have to be put behind glass?

Probably
07-31-2002, 02:09 AM
mine always sort of dry themselves out and stay looking fine, but that might just be because they are extra cheap, i dont think ive ever heard of or seen a fixative especially for oil pastels, cant really imagine there would be since oil pastels themselves are terribly popular, but maybe

mmdm
07-31-2002, 03:57 PM
I read recently in one of my pastel books that oil pastels never really completely dry like oil paint does and therefore have to be protected with glass. Sorry.

becky2
07-31-2002, 04:08 PM
I was told by one of the wcers here to also use fixative sparingly

KarenU
07-31-2002, 08:27 PM
Corrie....I was looking at Sennelier Oil Pastels out on the Dick Blick site and found these tidbits of info that may help you:

According to Sennelier:

Oil Pastels never dry.

To protect an oil pastel surface from dirt and dust, apply a fixative 8 to 10 days after the work is completed. The fixative will not dry the work. If desired, a final varnish spray can be applied to seal the surface permanently, but this may adversely affect future restoration possibilities.

And of course they have their own fixative:

Sennelier Oil Pastel Fixative

This totally transparent fixative leaves a clear and glossy film to protect oil pastels against dust and smearing. Sennelier Oil Pastel Fixative is made from a vinyl resin and an alcohol base.

Of course there are many other brands out on that site...you might want to check it out:

www.dickblick.com

sundiver
08-02-2002, 09:54 PM
I've brushed acrylic matte medium over some of my oil pastels and liked the results. I haven't framed any but they wouldn't need glass any more than an acrylic painting would.

Corrie Scott
08-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Thank you for taking the time to respond, specially Karen U, who did some research. Much appreciated. looks like I will have to experiment.

Corrie Scott
08-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Thanks Sundiver,
Tried this idea as I could not get the fixative here. Can it be cleaned/wiped? We live in a very open plan area, so the dust builds up.