PDA

View Full Version : Kingshouse Hotel Glencoe

ripvanblair
07-30-2002, 02:44 PM
Kingshouse Hotel is situated at the head of Glencoe(Glen of weeping) .The large mountain to the left is Buchaille Etive Mor(great shepherd of Etive), the peak is also known as Stob Dearg(dark point). The hotel lounge has a large panoramic window facing the shepherd, and there is no finer sight than to watch a sunset on the Buchaille, with a large glass of single malt(Macallans or Glenlivet), from that window it is difficult to believe the horrors that occurred down in the glen or the harshness of the surrounding land.
It's a 10"x 7" watercolour on 90 lb sample paper I don't know the manufacturer

Southern Style
07-30-2002, 03:50 PM
I don't know the history about the area of your painting.. but the majestic mountains and beautiful valley are outstanding.

pampe
07-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Alan, this is a lovely painting...reminiscent of our Grand Tetons here in the US.

Pam

taghera
07-30-2002, 04:08 PM
Very nice Alan....looks great to me, well done.:)

Starsprite
07-30-2002, 04:27 PM
Fantastic!!! I especially like the orange color in the mountains...great scene!!

Javier
07-30-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi Alan,

Well you know all about your painting's good 'points', but your mountains are to 'pointy' -- they are like arrows pointing one right out the top of the composition.

The Very Best,

mel-o
07-30-2002, 05:15 PM
I love the oranges and the majestic, sweeping curve of the mountain.

mel

Yorky
07-30-2002, 05:56 PM
A knockout view, Alan.

Must visit the hotel next time I'm in the Highlands.

Doug

Lise
07-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Lovely colors. It looks so peaceful now. Well done.

Rich Williams
07-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by taghera
Very nice Alan....looks great to me, well done.:)

I will be right over so set them up.

Rich

al22
07-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Alan, always enjoy a tour in your part of the world through your paintings.....
Thanks.....al

ripvanblair
07-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for commenting

There was a terrible massacre down in the glen , the Campbells all turned on their hosts the Macdonalds and nearly every man woman and child was killed that night. Marcia thanks for your comments.

Pam thank you very much I imagine it will remind you of the Grand Tetons

Thank you for your time Hugh, you seem to be very busy with your poetry just now:rolleyes:

Thank you Starsprite you can get some lovely colours in these mountains

Thank you Javier we don't see enough of you these days, are you still painting? I think we'll need to agree to disagree on these mountains, but I appreciate you taking the time

Thank you Mel these glens make you feel as if the last ice was not too long ago

Thanks Doug you'll need to go a wee bit further north on your next visit,it's well worth a look, over the shoulder of the mountains on the right are the Mammores, and then the Nevis range so you are right at the highest mountains in the UK

Thank you Lise it can be very peaceful at times but at others the wind can rattle through that glen making a sound like a train

Good one Rich I'll set them up, what a night we'll have, glad your feeling better

Thank you Al means a lot to me---------

----once again thank you all very much---------Alan

Fagan
07-30-2002, 09:16 PM
Alan...this is lovely! You have captured a starkness and beauty of the landscape. Coming from the Graham clan I have heard a few things about the glen.

ripvanblair
07-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Well Well the Blairs are part of the Grahams, it's not called the glen of weeping for nothing but it can be incredibley beautiful, thank you for your comments Fagan----------------Alan

Little Old Lady
07-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Wonderful painting!
JoAnn

jaytee
07-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Allan. ........... I once ............ in my youth..........spent a sleepless and very dark night in a garage forecourt at the head of Glencoe...... too frightened to continue through the pass :eek:

I love this picture......but still get the cold creeps when i think of the place :(

Rich
07-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Beautifully painted scene. Great reflections!

Crystal Owl
07-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Alan,

I'm jealous that's one place I've always wanted to go I hear there's a Vortex there. That people camp there and miraculous things happen. Shame I was born in Scotland and moved to the states when I was a wee yin :( I'll have to make a trip there soon. Beautifully done.

Irene

artijan
07-31-2002, 04:24 AM
I would have thought this was a bigger painting until I read the size. The mountains are surely majestic and I like the sweeping feeling of the view.

Also enjoy the bit of history. Thanks very much.
Jan:)

ripvanblair
07-31-2002, 05:10 AM
Thank you all once again f0r your support

JoAnn Thank you very much

Jaytee there is a sense of foreboding that permeates round the glen, also a shock at the sheer majesty of the place

Thanks Rich glad you enjoyed the painting

Irene I don't know of the vortex of which you speak , but I was up Am Bodach one of the mountains in Glencoe and the wind came up through the gullies like a subway train, you had to shout to make yourself heard, that is a shame you left when you were a wee yin, but I hope you come back and see this place, thank you for your comments

Thank you Jan I was thinking of doing a couple of Scottish mountain pictures and they would be a bit bigger-------Alan

I've added a couple of photos of the Buchailles The photos were taken from the Scotland the movies web site, a site which looks at the film locations which have been used, for example inthe film "Braveheart"
http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/etive.html

the one on the left is Buchaille Etive Beag which means small shepherd of Etive, these are the two sentinels of Glen Etive and they all meet at the head of Glencoe, I don't think the mountains are too pointy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2002/beag15s.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2002/etive8s.jpg
below is the classis view of Buchaille Etive Mor

Javier
07-31-2002, 08:03 AM
Yes, Alan I see your 'pointy' mountain -- and I can take you to Australia and show you one that looks like a loaf of bread -- So?

Alan as an artist you have a license to play god -- to improve what is there -- if I wanted a gd photo I would just use a camera. Look at your colours -- are those mountains really made up of those colours -- I bet not, YOU made them better! With that brush you are a god -- throw away the rubbish, improve the beauty -- force 'mother nature' to your will. And keep the viewer inside the painting. One of the dumbest things I have heard in this forum is, "I painted it that way because that is the way it is!" My response is, "NO, paint it the way you want it to look".

Just Do It,

T-Rex
07-31-2002, 09:47 AM
How nice Alan, your mountains have a sense of grandeur.......and what a story!!

Enjoyed viewing the photos too. Youi sure can whip 'em out and (I'm even more impressed w/ how quickly you get them framed and ready to go.........you miracle worker you:D )

I know you know its ok to agree to disagree w/ St. Javier, he is a brainiac, I value his opinion and I consider him one of my best critics. He's a straight shooter and has something of value to consider! I should say usually, that is, wouldn't want him to get a big head w/ even more brains.

I'm anxiously waiting for the loaf of bread myself:D :D :D :D :D

Javier
07-31-2002, 11:44 AM
Someone get the jam and butter!:D :D :D

"Ayer's Rock, or Uluru, as it is called by the Aboriginal people."

The Best To All,

pampe
07-31-2002, 12:13 PM
what a strange interpretation

definitely rock

no yeast there at all:rolleyes:

ripvanblair
07-31-2002, 02:33 PM
Thank you Javier I can understand the paint it the way you want school that is I think what I've tried to do, the day I climbed the Buchaille was one of the happiest in my life what an achievement standing on top of that great pyramid there is not a lot you can say, you would expect a lot of shouting and yelling but no it was very quiet that day, there was not a cloud in the sky ,you could see for miles, it was a very spiritual moment, something to cherish. It has become one of my favourite places, there is mystery and magic at work here, I'm not a deeply religious man but if there is a God you can get close to him in places like this, if anybody is still reading this, perhaps you will realise what I feel when I look at the Buchaille, and yes I have painted the shepherd the way I wanted.

Thanks Karen I appreciate your comments very much, you are always very kind

Good one Pam:cat:

pampe
07-31-2002, 02:39 PM
alan

I know that moment

*grace*

:)

ripvanblair
07-31-2002, 02:45 PM
Thanks Pam it's a nice feeling when it happens--------------Alan

wilkinsonart
07-31-2002, 10:29 PM
The mountains look grand and glow - even more than the glow obtained by the amber single malt. Nice job.

Hartskees
08-01-2002, 01:32 AM
Wonderful scene. My favorite parts to this piece is the valley where the mountains diminish and the water is very peaceful. Or it seems peaceful...I'm sure it isn't under the surface.

DanaT
08-01-2002, 03:50 AM
What a wonderful picture, Alan. I had heard about the Macdonald massacre but didn't know it was here. My grandmother's family comes from the Macintosh clan and from what I heard, they were no angels. Probably why they got kicked out of Scotland.

ripvanblair
08-01-2002, 05:48 AM
Terry thank you I tried to put some of the colours of autumn in this one

Hartskees thank you for your comments, I appreciate it, these small lochs are called lochans some of them get quite deep, and as for getting under the surface it's too cold

The massacre took place about 7 miles from here down in the glen there is an excellent Glencoe exhibition centre near the spot, well worth a visit if you ever travel round these parts, thanks for your comments--------thank you all once again---------Alan

etive
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
dont want to burst yer bubble mate but when did the lochan appear in front o the kingshoose,

ripvanblair
07-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Where did this come from? I used a bit of artistic license, you can do that when perusing over a single malt-----------Alan

etive
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Where did this come from? I used a bit of artistic license, you can do that when perusing over a single malt-----------Alanhi alan ,the thing is if you are going to put the subject the kingshouse hotel in glencoe it would be a good idea if the painting had a resemblance to the heading ,dont want to sound to harsh but it actually came as a bit of a shock when i first seen it,i have stayed in the hotel on several occasions and climbed the great herdsman, your "kingshouse" could be anywhere,but as you say anything goes over a malt or two,anyway aw the best mate:)

y.vlerick
07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Whow ! Beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yvette

etive
07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
not mine btw

Europa
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Love it Alan - you really captured the majesty of the place. :clap: :clap: - you are so lucky to have such beautiful scenery to paint.

Javier - we used to have our own Ayres Rock here in Wigan - it was a coal slag heap that was likened to the rock in Aussie.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2007/29499-SlagHeap.jpg

Sorry Alan for hijacking your thread :(

Pat

murugesan
07-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Very atmospheric landscape!:clap: