PDA

View Full Version : Muted Colors?

MoodyBlue
07-30-2002, 11:11 AM
I have been working with oils for around 10 years. I have always done mostly landscapes however they are always bright and vibrant and I have tried doing softer and more muted colors but it just never comes out right.:( Though mostof my customers like the bright tones I'm ready for a change. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Add more white to each color or just use a lighter color to begin with?
Thanks in advance~ MBlue

TPS
07-30-2002, 07:07 PM
Try replacing your bright hues with earth pigment colors on your palette. They are naturals for landscapes. You'll be surprised at the range of hue and intensity still available with these hues.

Add a little of a complementary hue to your color to knock down its intensity. It doesn't always need to be a true complement, but merely the approximate.

When adjusting a color, mix it with a duller variety of the same color family. For example: mix some yellow ochre or raw sienna into your cad yellow.

cobalt fingers
07-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Limit your palette...

no thalos etc--that is an easy way.

what's your palette now?

Einion
07-31-2002, 01:17 AM
Barb, one word: complements ;)

Einion

MoodyBlue
08-01-2002, 01:00 PM
My pallette is mostly standard. Phallo Blue, Prussian Blue,Sap Green, Burnt and Raw Sienna, A.Crimson, Yellow Ochre,Cad and Cad Light Yellow, Mars Black, Raw Unber and Titanium White. These are pretty much my standards with a few variations.
I have seen so many watercolor landscapes with the sof muted look and that's what I would like to do if only one time. :)