PDA

View Full Version : Need advice pls

WC Lee
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I finally dipped into the mount vision soft pastels I purchased a while ago and started sorting them out. I have included images of the sorting, one color and one gray-scale. I have them sorted in the following setup: red/orange, yellow/yellow-greens, greens, and blue/violets then two sections of earth colors.

Now the advice I need is: How can I make the setup better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/122017-pastelbox.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/122017-pastelbox_grayscale.jpg

Tressa
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
WC your values looks pretty good, and if this is a pleasing arrangement to you, it is fine and will work. Plenty of artists put their palette together by color and then value. I put all my darks together, regardless of color, and same with mids, lights and lightest. IF this is what you are asking, it looks fine. I see a bit of value dif in the bottom of the lights on the far right, but not a huge dif.
Of course, if you are asking for more sticks, that will definitely make it better:evil:

Donna T
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Looks good to me too, WC. Is this a set of the MV's and if so, which one? I would say to just try using the setup the way you have it. If it feels comfortable this way you'll know it's the right way for you. Your foam looks a little too clean, IMHO. :lol:

Donna

WC Lee
10-20-2008, 07:41 PM
thanks Tressa :) I guess this will do for a while for me to test it out. yah that last section is a bit out of order .. but it will do since I probably won't be using those that much.

thanks Donna :) it's a combination of the 50 workshop, 25 supplemental, 25 portrait add-on, 25 landscape and 25 landscape greens with the dups removed. The MVs are so big, everything I put next to it looks sooooo tiny, with the exception of the sennelier half sticks. The foam is too clean? I say it got dirty too fast just from me moving the pastels around while sorting .. I just built the box :D and the foam is new ... think I need to build a bigger box so I can fit everything I got into it.

helenh
10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
You'll probably change your arrangement at least a dozen times before you're completely satisfied. But only you will know what works. Have fun! (Don't you just love those MV's?)

Helen

WC Lee
10-21-2008, 07:42 PM
thanks Helen :) I normally sort by color though not nearly as neat and not by values either :D though I try it this way to see if it will help me make better color and value selections. And since no one pointed any major flaws, guess this is how it is going to remain for a while :)

robertsloan2
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
It looks like good organization to me. If I did that I'd find everything pretty easily. The one dark one over in the lights is pretty obvious where it is, so if it was a color I used a lot of that'd actually be a good trick to be able to find it easily.

I just thought of that -- in doing something like that if I had absolute favorite must-find-fast sticks, putting it into the wrong end of the value section like the spot in the middle of a yin and yang would make it so easy to find every time. Not by hue, just by value. It'd have to be the most-used one in its hue and value range for it to be a useful trick.

Looking at yours, it just looks like that is the lightest tint of that specific hue and you have the stack going "lightest at the bottom" whatever it is. Which does make sense.

Donna T
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
WC, when you take a break from making pochade and pastel boxes, organizing your pastels and painting with your pastels and oils :D could you please tell me the numbers of the dark greens in your box- the three that are in the top of your green section? I'm still drooling over these colors and those dark greens are at the top of my wish list. Gosh, that's a nice collection!

Donna

WC Lee
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
thanks Robert :) that is a good idea, but over time, there will be more and more favorite ones out of place. I would rather just put them together in one location somewhere in the box.

Donna, the dark greens are numbers 390-393, there are 4 in the range, 392 is the bluest and 393 is the lightest (close to viridian) according to the Mount Vision color chart. Here is the link for the dark greens:

http://www.mountvisionpastels.com/colorchart/p390_393.htm

Donna T
10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks WC! Your photo shows the greens much better than the Mount Vision color chart -at least on my monitor. They all look so black on their website that I was afraid to order them.

Donna

WC Lee
10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
you're welcome :) the colors on the MV color chart shows up fine on my monitor though I wish they make those thumbnails a bit bigger so we can see the colors a little better... it's hard enough trying to locate the number series on their chart since their color numbering sequence isn't in order.

jemgold
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM
WC - looks good to me. I love the MV's.

Donna,
I have the MV's too and the dark green is the best. I use it a lot.

robertsloan2
10-22-2008, 12:06 AM
WC, thanks for linking to the Mount Vision color chart. I just bookmarked it. I'm thinking of getting some Mount Visions sometime (especially if I do some larger paintings), and having the color chart online helps a lot.

WC Lee
10-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Companies usually have a color chart available on their website but depending on the monitors, it may or may not look correct.

Scottyarthur
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey WC looks great to me as well, by the way love the landscapes.

WC Lee
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks Scott :) yah the landscapes are slowly getting there ...