MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2002/10512_Fruit4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fruit...opnions please
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
none

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
still working out the close details, (skin on the oranges, highlighting, etc...)
does it look to be heading in the right direction? I usually seem to lean towards darker pigments, I don't know why, just turns out that way....so am trying to bring out a little more light and color....how am I doing so far?
all help appreciated

giniaad
07-30-2002, 09:37 AM
I like the composition...in general
fruits are nicely placed
not sure if so much top and bottom background
is needed, but, it is ok as is too...

do have a problem with the
multi-colored upper background
it detracts too much with the fruit.

darks aren't bad...contrast is good...
(lights are good too)
just choosing the colors
you use for contrast/ highlights
(and how/ where they are placed)
is important to the overall composition
keep their overall relations

as you are working
stand back
and see how your eye is led around the canvas

except for the multi-colored part
it is looking good

Corrie Scott
07-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Looking good.
Would like to see more depth on the fruit.
You also need to decide where the light is coming from, so that the highlights can set off the work as well.
Look forward to the finished piece

jerryW
07-30-2002, 11:17 AM
the fruit has nice cezanne like flatness, the other areas are not considered the same way.

JustjoGA
07-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Shadows & hightlights needed on the fruit... black lines on the cloth need to be softened down to show folds and draping better.
I love the background...

bertie291
07-30-2002, 05:42 PM
OK, so how did I do guys? In general does it have the appeal to sell? If so, (I hope it is proper to ask this...if not, please forgive me) what do I ask for it? I am never very good at setting prices on my work.

giniaad,
thanks for the comments, didn't change the background colors but will keep in mind for future work to use more suttle colors for background so as not to take away from subject.

corrie Scott,
tried to add a bit more depth to the fruit so it would not look so flat, darkened the back pieces of fruit and highlighted the front ones to show depth and light....

jerryW,
cezanne.......wow! thanks!

JustjoGa,
added shadow, highlights and more detail... smoothed out the cloth a bit, hubby loves the background to, didn't want me to change it on this piece :)

Everyone...
thanks so much for all the help I am recieving here on this site! you all are appreciated so much!

artinoils
07-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Like the fruit and drapery a lot. Good job. The background seems to bright and calls attention to itself.

Pam B.
07-31-2002, 05:28 AM
the shadows on the cloth worry me. have you used black here as they seem very sharp? Personally I would ease them back a little.