PDA

View Full Version : Equine Challenge for Jan 2009

Pages : [1] 2

winecountry
10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello, I have a co-rider, thank you Dawn, for the 100 horses I'm challenging myself to do by Jan 15 2009 . We will post here for the day to day work, and we will put our best or most instructive results on the All Horses: an Equine Resource thread.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7244612&posted=1#post7244612 You can join this challenge too, with any number you like one a month or a week for instance. You don't need permission , you can just start to post, and introduce yourself

The main goal here is to make consistant ongoing work within time frame, as a motivator for improving and producing more work.

winecountry
10-18-2008, 02:37 AM
here are 5, this little dun horse lives in the pasture next to me and gets pretty frisky, so I got a series of shots as he was running, these are approx 4x5 inches ea, anyone is welcome to use the photo ref. I was trying just for motion so consider these quick gesture sketches in oil. I'm not really sure what kind of horse he is, maybe you can tell
ref
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2008/103030-sonny_seq-1.jpg
oil on panel I can see I need more study of the gait, on the All Horses Thread, I saw someone post a link to a site with that, so i'll go look it over.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2008/103030-IMG_20081017_0927.jpg
next I'm going to do some copies of some masters, I plan on Poortvlient, a Munnings, and a sketch from DaVinci

Dawn Melka
10-18-2008, 10:16 AM
I’m ready, I bought myself a new sketch book just for this and will start today.

I am going to mix it up doing some work from life, some from my own photos and some from other references . I have a lot to do to catch up so here I go................

And your first listing on this thread is awesome

winecountry
10-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Great Dawn, I'm doing the same mix, my other ref is going to be copying some old masterworks, the last time I did this was in the 90's when I sat in front of a wonderful Renoir in the Museum of Fine Arts in San Francisco, wont have that now, and will have to go by reproductions which is not near a useful as the live art.

I have some wonderful notes on drawing from Fred Fixler( a great teacher of realism last century) to inspire you

"Drawing is describing form. The importance is not in the finish, but in its veracity (its truth, and accuracy of construction)

On Edges
The edge of a shadow begins where plane of form turn decisively away from the light. SQUINT!

Edges are nearly as important as values. The edge of a shadow begins where planes of the form turn decisively away from the light. Ask yourself before you begin to draw
What is the hardest edge inside the figure
What is the hardest edge on the silohouette
What is the softest edge on the silhouette
What is the softest edge inside the figure
Hard edges attract attention and make the form move forward. The best place to use them is within the light areas

A studied treatment of edges yields the illusion of space. You cannot reduce these principals to a formula. If you look only for shapes and delineation, that's all you'll see. You should also look for softness, merging tones etc. These are the qualities we revere in really good artists."

That last paragraph is also encapuslated in this statement, the eye can only see what it's trained to see! something I found to be a real Eureka! moment this year

Can't wait to see the first ones,
I count each horse I paint or draw as one horse, so if there are 5 on the page I drew 5. In this way 100 is not so much, but there is psychological barrier is around that number, like it's a lot, so setting that and breaking that barrier has benefits. Maybe it stems from when we are very young and counting up to 100 seems a big task. You'll notice many people think they can't do that many, it's too much "time" or effort.

But let's say you do 10 sketches a day at 2min each for 10 days. Twenty min a day, (or 3.5 hours) for 10 days yields the 100, and we have nearly 3 months! So in doing this you will be surprised what happens inside your head and heart, aside from all the practice you'll have:wave:

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-18-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2008/50520-DSCF3003.JPG

Hope I am not putting this in the wrong place. I did this today (without seeing the challenge) I have about 1 hour into this.
My main thing is I wanted to work loose and on valueswith a limited palette. I liked the crest of the neck and the shadows on this big draft.

winecountry
10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
You could put it either place, this is fine, Here is the main goal of this thread
The main goal here is to make consistant ongoing work within time frame, as a motivator for improving and producing more work.

So it's open really, It fits under the goal of improving and producing more I think:)
Although I'm always open to C and C myself, most of what I'll post will be a study of some sort. I don't plan on giving any C and C here, just into encouraging people to do more work and recognizining the growth they make.

winecountry
10-19-2008, 03:15 AM
#36 copy in oil of Poortvlient

this is so botched from his sketch:mad: ,but was such a good way to learn to observe very subtle changes of edge and line. I really learned to look at the edge and how I make it more crude, leaving out subtle changes and angles that give grace to the form, I oversimply areas that I don't know well, and I have no idea yet where the feet should go unless they are already there..
the drawing is bad, but the lesson was good. I'll try another. I'll post his sketch in full on the All Horses Thread
Here I'll just but the line of the back, and you can see how clunky I made it:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/103030-backline_RP_sketch.jpg
copy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/103030-copy_after_R_Poortvlient_sketch.jpg

KerryOriginals
10-19-2008, 03:27 AM
OK, I'm ready to get started, too! This is my challenge, just copied from the other thread;

-------------------------------------------------
I jumped in on doing the 100 horses challenge, but, I really think I will modify my challenge to less volume and more quality. Instead of trying to achieve a high volume of work (done that with my own 30 horses in 30 days challenges!) I want to work up full projects involving horses in fully planned out scenes that go way beyond the ebay stuff I've been doing! I have been paintings to sell on ebay since '04 now, and, mostly the work has been ACEOs and other very small, quickly done paintings that are little more than color studies for parts of more complex paintings. I'm not knocking what I've done for ebay because I've seen my skills improve immensely through the sheer volume of work done, but, I have seen what I consider my more serious, larger works that I did prior to ebay take a backseat and atrophy! When I painted larger works, I took the time (usually) to research and plan out my ideas and took whatever time required to make it the best I could. In comparison, the work I have churned out to sell on ebay has allowed me to experiment with subjects, color, media, styles, ect. but, in a quicker, less formal or tecnically correct way. The problem with this is that I am now in a bit of a rut, and, with sales soooo slow right now on ebay, I feel I'm just spinning my wheels, going nowhere! I seldom if ever use reference materials for the quick, non-commissioned stuff I've been doing; I'm just painting imaginary horses. This has resulted in a very stereotypical, formula look that I have become very disatisfied with, so, part of my own challenge to myself is to break out of this formula look and force myself to work with more planning and and technical accuracy, using more reference materials either directly, or indirectly to get the form right. So, I guess this is my plan to challenge myself, create a series of planned painting projects involving detailed preliminary research, sketches, color comps, full drawing cartoon, and final painting. I will attempt to paint a larger painting weekly (or slightly longer for bigger work) plus whatever smaller work I can fit in!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for my first project, I decided to do something for myself, a full body portrait of my childhood horse, a mustang mare from the wild herds of the Tularosa Basin area of south-central New Mexico. I want to show her standing against a backdrop of the basin with the San Andreas mountains in the back and small butte peak called Tule Peak that was a popular riding destination. This will involve a bit of jigsaw puzzling together of parts of various photos to get a complete portrait and background from the few poor photos I have left of Dusty and the basin terrain, but, this is a fantasy portrait anyway, so, I'll just fluff the rest based on memory and imagination! (I think I can get away with that because I think I have a real good understanding of what my client likes!) :D

These are my references;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/76169-dusty_montage.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/76169-art__272.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/76169-art__274-2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/76169-art__274_-_2.jpg

And these are my first thumbnail sketches (2x3 inches) to get the basic composition. I think the last one will work for me, so, I will next work up a full sized drawing. 'Til next time!:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/76169-thumbs.jpg

Dawn Melka
10-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Ok I have the first two drawings only 98 more!! The first one I copied from an old drawing book that I have. At first I found it boring but after it was done I really looked at it and thought wow look at all those bones in the knee. I really do need to get an anatomy book.

The second one is from one of my photos, its Joe’s eye, I have a thing for eye’s. I may actually paint this one at some point. At this rate I will never get to the 100 I really need to loosen up and learn to stop. I need to not worry about how it looks as much as what did I learn. Old habits are hard to brake.

Hi kerry I’ve seen your work you are awesome and I cant wait to see what you do for this. I don’t want to get to off subject but I also saw the painting you did for the mosaic and wow, congratulations on that.

Colleen thanks for the quotes I am going to copy and print them out, great to have by the easel!

Hi ColorsoftheRainbow this is going to be fun!

ajb
10-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi ya'll. Can't wait to see what you come up with for your horses. If the baby ever lets me have a moment's peace I might even pick up a pencil again.. :rolleyes:

Horses are my oldest's favorite, she has her own, rides em, shows em, all that jazz.. so I get lots of horse pictures.

I thought I'd share a few if anyone wanted to play with them.

The first is a picture of Freight Shaker, a stud for Musgrave's Apple Ridge Farms. Don't worry about copyrights, it's my in-laws and they don't care in the least. :thumbsup:

The second is from their farm as well, I love this picture just because of the foal's little highlights. Makes her look wrinkled, she was only a few hours old at the time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/157084-freightshaker1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/157084-Baby1.jpg

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I finished this today. My goal with this was to work loose and fast and concentrate on values. I did the drawing on the canvas with the oil paint, going from large shapes to smaller details-- but not wanting to be detailed or tight. I've got a couple more spots I want to lighten up but need to wait for the paint to dry. The computer also resized it to look slightly more squat than it is IRL so imagine him more elongated. I guess the old adage the camera adds 10 lbs maybe can be adjusted in this case to add a couple hundred! :)

My next one will likely be of my horses grazing in the pasture. I took a great photo with lots of contrast a couple weeks ago and have been wanting to do a loose painting of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/50520-text.JPG

winecountry
10-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Just want to share how excited I am to see all the different projects! To have each one explain their goals helps me understand the direction they are taking. It feels like I'm right there in the studio with you

Just in case you are not WC savvy I thought I'd bring this up as it took me a year to discover it on my own. For long threads( which it looks like this will become) you can switch the order of display, in other words, instead of the pages showing in the order they were made you can have page 1 always be the newest posting, to do this
Click on "My WC" in the bar near the top of the page
Click on "Edit Options" on the left side of that page
Scroll down to "Thread Display Mode"
Here you can choose the display mode for threads. (For a full explanation of the modes, please view the help page underlined in blue.)
Thread Display Mode menu shows and select Linear-newest first
Now all the newest stuff will be on page one everytime you open.
There are other options there too you may want to check out.

Can't wait to see the new work, and know that I'm following everyone, but won't comment much unless I have a question, so the thread stays more compact. But if you really want comments, just say so,

Colleen

winecountry
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
#37 copy of Poortvliet draft horse from Horses book 8x10 oil

I have to go to cheaper surfaces with doing so many pieces. This is done on Canvass tex by Morilla, which is for oil and acrylic painting about the weight of heavy paper. I coated it with Liquitex clear gesso toned with Golden Titanium white, and Iridesent Bronze fine. This surprising combination put on with a soft brush , the china bristle type from the hardware store, brushing as it sets up, leaves a texture and color very close to belgium linen.

I used an oil pencil for drawing on, then brushed over that with spike of lavendar, and finally added some oil very diluted with spike.
This gave me something close to a charchol drawing which is what he used...

drawing first, then melted with added oil

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM
For someone who said they had no time I am finding time to paint these fast, loose ones. They are actually a nice break from some of the stuff I am working on now. Again, my goals are to do the drawing/sketching with the oil paint right on the canvas, keep it fast and loose and concentrate on values.

I picked this reference because 1. It is some of my own horses and 2. I loved the deep contrast in it.

Here's my start with about 15 minutes into it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/50520-grazing_WIP.JPG

winecountry
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
wow Sue,
One thing I'm finding on this thead is Freedom!, it's all about learning exploring and no worry about the final outcome, and without comments, I'm finding that freeing too, just following my own muse, without self-judgement, or worry about how it looks to others...

Poortvlient draft horse, his drawing is so strong and unfussy, my copy isn't that great but I'm getting a feel for how solid his work is. a very different temperment than me. Yet he's never crude, and every line is graceful, trying to get my brush to do that, but :( Will try 2 more of his then work on a Munnings
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/103030-Poortvlient_copy_ddraft.jpg

winecountry
10-20-2008, 02:19 AM
#39 Poortvlient copy of Arab
Well I did a nice drawing and went to put watercolor over it the way Rein did,but the canvas tec which says it takes watercolor didn't it just beaded up. so I had to finish with acrylic....will try again on the next one on wc paper
This is getting pretty embarassing, it's so clunky compared to his, he could literally draw anything....but the saving grace is everytime I learn something, this time I noticed he puts very strong descriptive marks at crucial joining areas, check out the stifle on his and on mine or look at that face far edge and you'll see

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
love the draft Colleen with all those pinks, blacks and greys!

This is what I did this morning. Again, I am working on fast sketches, concentrating on values, keeping it loose with minimal detail at this point.

about 30-40 minutes with big chunky pastels on black paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/50520-valuesketch2.JPG

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I put in another 10-15 minutes cleaning up some of the lines and also can see where my hind end is too wide. Such a common problem! :) If I were to do this over I would bring the left front more under the body and narrow the hind end but since this is just a rough sketch I will move on. I like this pose and think I will do this as a large painting at some point because I like the lines of the neck and the backlit mane and rump but will wait for now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/50520-DSCF3064.JPG

winecountry
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I like this too Sue, and the chance to work in rich shadow color.

There is something this one has I'd like to discuss and explore a bit, if you feel so inclined. especially since you do murals and this has to be part of the idea, anyone else who wants to, can chime in

It has to do with POV ie point of view, which is not thought about much, but has a great deal to do with a coherent painting.

In this one our POV is up and to the left I'd say, otherwise how could we see the back, or else this is a small horse, so if landscape were added we'd think about that too. Can you mix POV, yes if you're careful, esp with horses we look up at the head and down at the feet, I'm about to begin some Munnings copies, some of his have very unusual POV...I think the issue is important to consider in the planning stages, as it has everything to do with how the light is working and the viewer will experience the work.
At ground level or up on a mountainside? the experience will be different.
What do you think?

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
~~In this one our POV is up and to the left I'd say, otherwise how could we see the back, or else this is a small horse, so if landscape were added we'd think about that too. Can you mix POV, yes if you're careful, esp with horses we look up at the head and down at the feet, I'm about to begin some Munnings copies, some of his have very unusual POV...I think the issue is important to consider in the planning stages, as it has everything to do with how the light is working and the viewer will experience the work.
At ground level or up on a mountainside? the experience will be different.
What do you think?~~

I am glad you brought up POV. This sketch is of a foal so you are right the POV is from the left, up above. I think my sketch doesn't read as a 'colt' because some of the proportions are off but when I was sketching I wasn't after that as much as getting deep value changes.

What drew my attention to the reference photo for this sketch in the first place is the fact that the light was reflecting off of his rump and his mane was backlit. I will post the reference.

I do plan on using this for a large (not mural though) painting and I was trying to work out in my mind what to do for the background. The colt in the reference has the dark mare behind him but if I were to take her out than I have to consider where to put the horizon line and not lose the dark background. If I removed the mare the horizon line would be higher and I would end up with a bright green background. Or should I just do a non descript type of background ? It would have to be dark so I could get those great contrast on the mane and rump. So POV was sort of already on my mind! :)

I have a painitng I did a few years ago-- one of my very first ones that happens to have two POV's. It was accidental of course because I didn't know anything about anything but it ended up giving an interesting twist to the painting. It is of a man on a mountain. The man is painted as if he is being viewed from up above and the mountains in the background are being viewed as if seen from down below. If you are interested I can find it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/50520-reference_photo_ricco.JPG

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I have gotten nothing done today but this stuff. :) Its been fun though.

here is the grazing horse painting with another hour into it. I think I have maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours total. Goal: work on values and looseness-- resisting details as much as I can. I am doing my drawing on the canvas in wet paint with my brush.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/50520-grazing.JPG

winecountry
10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
#40 copy 9x12 Poortvlient sketch of a lippizan
In this beautiful sketch (original was about 12x6) you can see a technique he uses often, in art school we called it "negative drawing" and he is a master of it, it means you draw the space around the object not the object itself. It can be a great aid to understanding form, and makes you see using a different part of you brain.

Notice too how he suggest the form of the neck by how the mane falls suggesting the huge bulge of the neck muscle with a dip in the flow of the mane....I love his work, and will do more studies later, but now the next 10 I'm going to study Munnings the premier equine artist of the last century, ignored and dismissed for a long time his work now brings 2-4 million at auction.

KerryOriginals
10-20-2008, 09:25 PM
2nd installment :)

I worked out a full sized drawing so I could get the anatomy and stance worked out, then, traced it to clean it up for transfer to my canvas. This is a painting of my horse, but, it is also a study of a spanish-barb mustang from the Tularosa Basin area of New Mexico...at least that is the plan!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/76169-dusty__09-08_001.jpg
In this case, I'm working with a small canvas, 12x16 linen, so, I am just using tracing paper to tranfer the drawing to the canvas. If it were larger, I would grid the drawing off and transfer by the grid method.

Drawing on the linen. Note the skeletal structure of the hind end. Sometimes it really helps to visualize your subject correctly if you do lightly block in the bones or muscles to help with a difficult part. I'm more used to painting arabs, QH, and TB - all which have higher-set tails. The Barb ancestry of the mustang give it the low-set tail and a rump that turns more down ward than in other modern American breedshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/76169-dusty__09-08_004.jpg

Once I had the drawing where I wanted it, I started in with an underpainting using white, dioxizine violet, yellow ochre, and burnt sienna. This is more to establish a warm golden undertone, and rough values. I had to stop before I could get to the horse, so, that is for next time!:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/76169-dusty__09-08_005.jpg

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I am enjoying this pose of my colt and playing with different ways to portray him I have wanted to draw or paint him all summer but didn't have time so I drew him again with a little more care.

I am pretty certain I will go from here to do a large painting of him. I love the lines in this pose and he's got this wonderful athletic body that allows you to see all those muscles. Hope I am doing him a little more justice in this sketch. I don't think I have the colt look still but at least its getting closer.

Colleen, enjoying what you are doing also! Hopefully soon more will jump in!

I gotta go feed the little bugger now! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2008/50520-riccopencilsketch.JPG

FaeLynn
10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Holy Horses! Wow ladies! These are fabulous. I can't take the time right now, to comment on each one but Colleen, I thought the first pic in post #22 was Rien's sketch, turns out to be yours..wow you fooled me! You're really getting those styles down! Go girl!
Kerry, yours is coming along so nicely too!! I love those scrub brushes and colors!

winecountry
10-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks Fae, but really it's a long way off when your really study the little details of his work, I really learned to appreiciate it by copying
Sue more is fine but as Fae and I proved even two is enough to catch the support and energy.

#41 and 42 copy of Munnings Exmoor Ponyfoals
As I learned with Rien, it takes a while to get in the mindset of another artist. Not that I can be them, but to understand how they see things. So hopefully this gets better. Of course the best would be to be in front of a real painting instead of a poor online who knows what happened to the color copy. but that's all I have right now.:D

I was facinated to learn about Exmoor Ponieshttp://epicrus.supanet.com/exmoor.htm
Although there is a certain amount of controversy about its origins, there seems to be little doubt that the Exmoor pony may be considered as an indigenous breed to Britain. All of the sub-species of Equus migrated to the British Isles, none originated in these isles. The Exmoor is believed to be the descendant of the Plateau/Celtic, otherwise called North Atlantic pony, which was subsequently used by the Celts as pack horses, and for pulling their war chariots. Others believe that this pony crossed overland into Cornwall from Europe when Great Britain was still attached to continental Europe. There exist Roman carvings in the West Country of chariots pulled by ponies which resemble today's Exmoor.

After Roman invasions, the South West area of England was left mostly uninhabited except for the ponies. Outwardly these ponies seem unchanged from the first British wild ponies. Color and markings resemble those of primitive horses as the Wild Ass and Przewalski's Wild Horse. Significant features in the bones reveal further clues as to these ponies being the surviving relic of the original native pony.

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I want to thank you Colleen for completely distracting me from everything else as I paint and draw these horses!! :) I guess its actually a nice diversion.

I become so engrossed in this one today. I think all your previous posts ahve been inspiration.

I will probably go back and add a touch or two of the background color in the mane and body but this is basically what I have today.

Again, I am drawing on the canvas in wet paint, working on values, and in this one negative spaces and hopefully, carefully placed fine lines. Ricco, my colt, is still looking more like a yearling than a weanling in this pianting-- think its because I keep getting his neck longer but I am still pleased-- maybe this is what he is 'going to' look like! This was a fun exercise.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2008/50520-10.21.08.JPG

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
I added just a couple more touches-- wanted to balance out the background. I want to stop sooner rather than later on these because my goal is still to keep them loose and fresh but I may do just a little tweaking to the face. The profile is not quite where I want it yet but we'll see. I am letting him sit now.

Here's a couple steps along the way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2008/50520-step1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2008/50520-step2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2008/50520-10.21.08finalcompressedtext.JPG

winecountry
10-22-2008, 02:14 AM
no horses today, worked on some things for a comming commission, and read "Stubbs:the Horse" the monograph on him from the big show put on at the Natl Gallery in London.

Sue did want to share this with you since you are painting direct, it's a Munnings study of jockeys, and show how he started, ie warm ground, then lights and darks modeled in wet loose brushwork. The paint would have to be quite fluid for this...he used oilshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2008/103030-thm_alfredmunning_jockeys_detail.jpg

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Thank you for that study of Munnings.

This is a fast sketch I did this morning-- I wanted to choose a more challenging position because what I would like to do is to get away from 'posed', safer kind of positions and again, do the drawing on the canvas when it comes time to paint. In my previous painting sketching out Ricco before hand was helpful so when I was working on the canvas I was familar with the body positioning-- although there's lots of room for improvement I enjoyed the freedom of not working so tight, allowing some imagination in and letting it to develop on the canvas. I hope this will eventually translate into less stiff looking horses- give more nergy and life to them. Thats my hope anyways! :) I am not happy with the lower legs in todays sketch (the photo reference had protective gear on) and the head should be more arched but here it is.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2008/50520-oneilsketch.JPG

Dawn Melka
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi all I’ve been busy and tired so hard for me to get much art done. But I did manage three more sketches.

The first is another eye but from a different angle. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off. Its ok.

The second is from an anatomy book ( I went to a used book store and scored with two books) I can really see the advantage to learning this, I can look at this drawing and see the whole leg. I am really excited about learning some anatomy I know it will help with my paintings

I was going to draw the leg in action, copied from this same book but instead last night I just did a head study. That’s the third one and I was only concerned about the light and dark, the head against a dark background.

Dawn Melka
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Whoops the images are in the wrong order but you get it. Also sorry about the size I will try and remember to make them smaller next time

I am going on vacation Friday so I wont be able to get on line and see anyone’s work or post mine but will get caught up when I get back. I know this will sound weird but I am off to visit my hubby, he took a job out of state and I cant join him until this house sells. With everything going on I think this is going to be a long haul.

The work I am seeing here is well just wonderful, I have a lot to learn and just wanted to say thanks to all of you and Colleen this is awesome !

winecountry
10-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Dawn, your anatomy studies are just beautiful, I know they are just bones, but there is something so graceful in your line. I'm going to print out and make a little studio guide of them. Also keep doing the eyes, this is very useful, and when you've done here, I wonder if you would make a post for the All Horses Thread, with all the eyes collected as a reference...

And I think the size is just right, so we can see the detail, don't change it:thumbsup:

have a good trip, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder:wave:

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I just had very little time today so I gave myself an hour and then stopped. My surface was cruddy to work on with no glide so the brush strokes were crude but I kept going with it since my personal goal is to work on values and looseness.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2008/50520-onielstep1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2008/50520-oneilstep2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2008/50520-oneilstep3.JPG

winecountry
10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Great action Sue, and you have freedom and accruacy in it.

#43 oil 8x10 sorry about glare on left corner from wet paint.
the other 2 foals on the Munnings study of Exmoor Ponyfoals.
I have no idea how he got such light lights and what brush he used to get that line, I think it is a round as my brights don't do that. Still trying find my way into his work...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2008/103030-copy_munnings_foalssma.jpg

oneilltje79
10-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I finally understand why I find lots of horses at this forum suddenly!
I love them!

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I finally understand why I find lots of horses at this forum suddenly!
I love them!

did you see your O'neil?? :) I am going to draw him again in charcoal because he still looks to stiff to me. Thanx for all the great references of your horse!

oneilltje79
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I saw him, but I didn`t remember putting a photo with that position in the RIL. Great painting!:thumbsup:
Here are some more suggestions:

O`Neill:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn191/oneilltje79/oneill/

Some other horses at my stable:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn191/oneilltje79/hengsten/

winecountry
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
copy of Munnings, the Duke of Westminister's Chestnut Mare 8x10 oil

Well this is a mess, I did it on the new cheap surface which worked fine when I used only turps with the oil sort of like a watercolor. But using oil alla prima is not good, sort of like trying to push snot on a sheet of ice, :lol: so I'm calling this done. I'll post some more Munnings here, some close ups so you can see, his paint handling, he's such a master.

Lesson today is how he uses negative space around the horse to shape really elegant line and form...see his horse neck and mine compared if you want a great example

copy of Munnings
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2008/103030-copy_of_munnings_chestnut_mare.jpg

QueenBArt
10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Colleen: Another artists you may be interested in is Mark King who is still with us today. I was introduced to his work in Sept. after I stopped into a gallery in VA. Wrong type of gallery for me, very up and up collectors with antiques and vintage paintings, lithographs etc. Plus the owner was too pompus to help himself:rolleyes: To hear him talk he pretty much 'owns' Mr. King. Anyways... he had several original pieces of King's work, if I had the money I would of brought home a piece but $3500 was out of my range. He had a book in his shop to of King's work, and it was autographed but it was like $200. I forgot to check it out on amazon, but I did find some links to his work. Not the best examples but you might try seeing what you can find, here are some examples http://www.gallerydirectart.com/chal-218.html

He did some stunning work in oil, but especially his impressionistic equine pieces.

winecountry
10-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Kristen, he's led a facinating life.

nearing the halfway mark and so deeply immersed I'm starting to dream about this challenge. It's not unusual for me to dream when I'm very focused on a subject and trying so hard to understand. These dreams are more vivid than the usual and they mostly end with some statement shouted at me just before waking , impossible to forget, a consdensed version of the dream. This morning it was ( this is exact hearing like someone is talking in an emphatic raised voice) Custom makes it so, but doesn't make it right, slavery was custom, but it didn't make it right

So let me unpack this as it pertains to the work I'm doing. We all have customary ways of working, certain lines and forms we use, these get to be habitual. In studying other masters, I have to give these up. In a way I'm trying to find how their customary way was. There are new lines and forms I've not used or considered. In the two masters I've copied so far, Poortvlient and Munnings I've found my usual way of making a horse top back line, for instance, is not right, its a generalized line describing form and could be fine for abstract work, but it has too little nuance to give life, and by the copies I'm making I'm getting a vocabulary that has more descriptive power.

So we all have these "ways" of making forms in our various media, these customary, habitual ways of working, but they may not be right, we could be repeating the same errors over and over because we are not working from life, from fresh inspiration, from fresh observations of particulars, even if we think we already know it, we could be working from custom and it may not be all that we could understand to set ourself free as artists.

winecountry
10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
something different today, and please equine experts speak up on this.
I still don't quite "get" how the hoof and lower leg join, so I decided to scupt one( no I'm not a sculptor but Aaron Bros had clay and armature wire on sale 75% off:lol: )
I built an armature, then made the bones, then added tendons( sorry forgot the pic of that) and then put on the rest..side view and front view.
Seems to me the pastern is still too short. I sure know what's under there better and my body has "muscle memory" of building it, havent painted that area yet to know if this helped or not. we'll see

LarrySeiler
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Great thread everyone!!! :thumbsup:

I stuck the thread so it will stay at the top for awhile.

How long it will stay stuck I don't know...but long enough to enjoy for awhile, study...but know this, I put the link to this thread also at the top of the list in the A&W Hall of Fame sticky thread...where it can easily be found from here on.

:)

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Great thread everyone!!! :thumbsup:

I stuck the thread so it will stay at the top for awhile.

How long it will stay stuck I don't know...but long enough to enjoy for awhile, study...but know this, I put the link to this thread also at the top of the list in the A&W Hall of Fame sticky thread...where it can easily be found from here on.

:)

Oh great! LOL! here I am jumping in with both feet, baring my mishaps and weaknesses for all to see to be stuck in a Hall of Fame sticky!

I realized today, as I wrote in my blog about these paintings a day is that a barrier to progressing in art, in my opinion, is a fear of making mistakes. I am consuling myself that by getting out of my comfort zone I will grow. And be humbled.

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I painted this today-- about 1 or 1 1/2 hours I think.

I drew on the canvas with my brush and oil paint thinned with turp. I enjoyed the loose brush strokes and I liked the lines in the hocks. I didn't intend to have the background like it is here but decided I liked it and left it alone.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2008/50520-draft.JPG

KerryOriginals
10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Here is my latest update on this painting. I didn't get to spend much time painting on this the past couple days as I needed new reference photos and spent the past two days driving around taking photos of anything and everything of interest, lol! I do feel I have a good start going on this, now, although I do not consider any part of this 'finished' yet. I do like the blue sky and the green plain behind the horse and probably will not change them. The mountains, the horse and foreground, and, probably the clouds will need more work. I had to really study the position of the horses head as in my drawing it looked wrong -twisted, large, and attached to the neck wrong- but, I was having trouble seeing it right. Anyhoo, after playing with it a couple hours this is what I'm going with. This first photo is of the finished under-painting and the second is where I am now. :wave:

Iaartist
10-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Since I am working on some horse commissions right now this is great. I have several to do. Here is what I started yesterday. Just trying to work on my layout of it. My reference photo's were awful blury. Here are my refs and some work I have done.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-Top-1.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-Top-2.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

Iaartist
10-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Since I am working on some horse commissions right now this is great. I have several to do. Here is what I started yesterday. Just trying to work on my layout of it. My reference photo's were awful blury. Here are my refs and some work I have done.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-Top-1.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-Top-2.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

Iaartist
10-25-2008, 01:39 PM
How that happened I dont know! Sorry.

Iaartist
10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-smalllayout.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

My adobe work, not very good at that. I am sure I like my layout at the momment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-bailey3.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/75586-carolineplace6.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

winecountry
10-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Kerry looking good for a mustang place
Sue, my favorite so far, just wonderful

#46 study in oil from Stubbs anatomy plates
I was following the wip of another artist, who was having trouble with the eye of the horse, I knew it was off but didnt know how to correct it, which let me know there was something I didn't understand, so I did these eye studies, this really helped on my next one, so something went into my internal horse computer.:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/103030-stubbs_for_wc.jpg

winecountry
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/103030-shorse_wc.jpg
I chose this to copy because you can barely see underneath the top coat, how he struggled to get this one, esp the legs, you can see( I enhanced contrast) that he had the legs all over the place and even drew one to the left margin trying to get the form. Just to let us know even the masters didn't have it easy with this animal. Again my copy lack nuances his has, but I'm beginning to get a feel of how he works and sees. I had a really bad image with not much to see. I hope soon to get a book on his horse work from the library, but what I really should be able to do is see a real one. Even so I can learn from what I have.

I noticed my sculpture of the hoof has paid off, that area is much better on this one, more sure and solid, if a bit off
#47 copy of Munnings study of a bay horse oil on panel 8x10

oneilltje79
10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Again very interesting works!

winecountry
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Welcome on the ride Iaartist,
looking interesting, thanks for posting the wip....if you get a double post again( we all do this from time to time) you have a window of time say 10 min or so when you can go back and edit, the button will be at the bottom of your post, click this and you can delete at least the info in the post, I usually put a sentence like "sorry double post"

One of the things we've kind of got going here is to let people know what you are trying to accomplish with a work, its one of the things that is making the thread strong and useful.

So if you can, let us know what goals you are looking to address on this work, what are you learning, what can you share that may help another artist understand your work and methods, where are you falling short of what you want to do etc. You can do that for the individual work as well as over all for the time frame we have. The thread has evolved this way sort of naturally and I think is one of the reasons Larry made it a sticky. It's here for us right now, but will remain we hope something to help equine artists over time.
Thanks for joining us:wave:

winecountry
10-25-2008, 04:02 PM
As we go along on this ride, and hit the bumps I thought this might give us some comfort
a quote from the book "The Horse in Art" by Baskett, which I like more than the 30,000 Years of the Horse in Art, but both are worth reading
pg 18
The problems of painting the horse in perspective when the artist is a less competent performer than Uccello have resulted in odd-looking pictures right down to our own day. Horses with long noses, wide-set eyes, narrow-set eyes, no necks, heads disconnected from bodies, enormous hindquarters, and so on frequently appear on the canvases of painters who are highly accomplished at figure painting and landscape....The fact is many artists have only regarded horses as 'staffage' in their paintings, whereas to paint them accuractely requires special study"

winecountry
10-26-2008, 02:26 AM
#48 copy of Bay Mare by Munnings 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2008/103030-copy_munnings_bay_mare_sm.jpg

He painted this in 1912 ( he lived 1878-1959) so he's in the mid of his carreer, confident, sought after. The original was 20x24, mine is 8x10 so I didn't get as nice a head, the areas were too small, I love his paintings but for myself am beginning to see I like things a bit more blended. However laying the paint on in broad patches like he does and waiting to the end to brush them a bit together, makes a nice fresh color possible.
ref

Iaartist
10-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks winecountry!
What I am doing while I do these commissions is to try and expand myself. I usually paint pretty much just what they send me for references. I will be learning to change things.

What I did was drew boxes around the horse to get the general length and width of the horse. I drew her in the box. I divided the box into a few sections. This really helped me I thought.

The picture of jumper was cropped and I took the rider out. I am having to develop the muscles and body and details with knowledge I have about horses.

The trotting horse has a rider. I had to take the rider out and figure how to get her anatomy correct without a rider. That's my challenge on this one for sure.

I would love your thoughts on how I did?

I will also be working on composition and doing backgrounds that compliment the painting.

Iaartist
10-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Winecountry your painting is very pretty and I love how you did the earth tones. It has a pleasant feeling to it. A calming one. You lighting on the horse is great as far as I am concerned and the whole painting has the same technique. I like this I may have to try something like this to loosen my style up a bit.

winecountry
10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I can highly recommend a study of Munnings, it will yeild more than what you see as a technique, tho that is there too. His commissioned portrait work( what he made money with) is generally less fresh and interesting to me at least, than the work he did for himself. The commissioned work tends to be tight and stiff.

As for your questions, I think I'll wait until you get further along, but I encourage you to look at this thread where I've done studies of Munnings and notice how he works horse and background around the horse together, so he can refine the line and form of the horse with "negative space" Poortvliet does this too. I'll be watching

winecountry
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
At last, :clap: finally got some insight into Munnings, the big takeaway today was; he didn't paint horses, he painted color, and he really, really observed color changes on form, or you could say he painted colored light. By placing all these bits of color accurately, he ended up constructing a horse, and what a horse, alive, lush, sensuous, expressive, you would never get tired of looking at one of these

I stopped before finishing this, I can finish some other time maybe, as my goal is not to become an expert Munnings copiest, but to learn from him and add to my own ability to express. :D
copy of Munnings Mare and Foal oil on panel, 11x14

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2008/103030-copy_Munnings_Mare_and_Foal_wc.jpg

reference Munnings Mare and Foal 1912 20 x24

I'm going to put in a couple of details so you can see what I mean..notice how the mare's legs have a bit of light defining them, just a stroke of color,
Take a look how he made the mare and foal legs by using the background color and edge to separate and define them.

winecountry
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
For #50 decided to try some painting from life.

I took my small pochade box 6x8 , my folding stool, a 8x10 panel and some 5x7 canvas, and marched out to the pasture beside my cottage. Dreaming of sitting there quietly painting while the horses contentedly grazed next to me...

This pasture is close to 10 acres, so first I had to find them, they were in the far corner where a small working pen is put up, which they are never in, esp to do any work:lol: So I walked over and set up in the shade, of course they came over, I expected that, Bart the older one quickly lost interest, and went back to grazing with one eye on his much younger herd mate Sonny. Sonny however thought this was the most facinating thing he'd seen in ages, and stuck his nose on the canvas, in the art bag, on my head, and eyed the brushes like he might give this painting thing a go himself...Finally in exasperation I put myself in the pen with them out, and sat up just out of reach of Sonny, who was trying to get in, or reach over or just pawed the earth next to me, naturally I was downwind and the dust rose over me in a cloud.

Now both horses came and stood as close to me as they could get, so all I could see is feet, and big round bars...so I did some hoof studies, bobbing up and down to see over and around the bars. There was a tractor sitting nearby, so my next idea was to get up on that away from Sonny and paint from the tractor seat, Sonny followed me over there and went round and round looking for a way up, besides that, the tractor seat was in a wire cage and I couldn't see anything even if the horses would stand still, which they didn't. They got bored and walked away...so I climbed down, picked up my dropped papers and walked after them, now they got very frisky and spooked off to the far end, I decided to go back to the cottage and get some apples and get them over to the fence by my cottage yard.
For about 2 seconds I got a chance at Bart, so that is the second sketch.

I will try again tomorrow with the idea that if I keep doing it they will not see it as such a novelty, and go back to being horses:lol:

While I did get a lot from observing and trying to capture quickly what I saw, I'd never be able to do a detailed work that way. Munnings used to sit in front of the horse for 3-4 hours, with a nice groom holding the horse in the positions he wanted. Makes one appreciate the western guys, Remington and Russell working before cameras were around , and making such incredible paintings
Studies from life, oil on paper

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
I tried my hand at using Munnings Bay Mare painting as a reference. I have never painted from anotehr painting before so it was an interesting experiment. I was not 'feelin the love' on my version but I think it was a good exercise. I just could not get those legs back like he did but I decided to just keep moving on because one of the things I did like was painting the horse within an enviroment, rather than painting of a horse. My yellows kept melting away and I could not get good warm highlights but here it is. I had about 1 - 1 1/2 hours into this. The surface was not as fluid and nice as when I did the shire a couple days ago. I was using a recycled canvas on this but may bite the bullet and use good surfaces to see where that takes me. Munnings also painted a sleek TB type horse and mine looks more like a retired QH with serious conformation issues! Oh, well. Must keep painting..... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2008/50520-10.27.08.JPG

Iaartist
10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2008/75586-ideabaileychairlienewmoved1_copy.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

I have moved the horses to a new position here. Working on composition

winecountry
10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
nice color Sue, is this oil and what size?
I find, in doing the copies, it takes at least 3 to really get the hang of it. The first one is usually the worst, as you haven't learned to see yet, the second you are still fighting your customary way of painting, by the third you really begin to appreciate how they work, adapt your own work and get to what I call the "amazing insights". Those are the moments that reveal how you are subconciously working, what you are missing that the artist you are copying knows, and a deep appreciation for how good they are sinks in. By the 3rd time, at least for me, my own style has let go a bit and opened up to the new information.

Doing even one study, lets a lot be revealed tho
If you are using oil, I've recently found that Art Spectrum makes a double weight Titanium White, that is really opaque, and doesn't sink in like a lot of whites, if you mix it with yellow you get a nice bright light that stays bright. They call it Titanium White #2 Thick

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will get some of that paint.

I suppose I could wait to post so my efforts are more refined on this thread but I don't think you are saying wait until we've tried each exercise 3 times before posting. When time permits I would like to try each one 3 x but as it is now I will do what I can as I let what I am trying to do sink in. I am thinking of this as one long work in progress that will carry over into my other work which I will refine.

I am finding freedom in just moving on and not letting a perfectionsitic attitude get in my way of trying new things or revealing my efforts here. I think that is similar to what you are saying as far a letting your subconscious take over a bit. By posting the efforts it breaks the spell of perfectionism. I don't have to fear mistakes because that is how I (and everyone) learns. I know you agree because you have not been shy about posting more rough work either. I think that is freeing when it comes to art.

So to clarify: The goal of this thread is to allow us to work on a common goal of studying different painters and their styles and also to show our own personal progress as we work on individual goals.

My goals fit in nicely with the examples you've posted because I want to do my drawing directly on the canvas (in oils) and experiment with a looser style of painitng. I also want to concentrate on values. I am not interested at this point in painting details. My exercises are quick because I'd like to become more efficient with brushstrokes and kind of let what wants to come out come out. The comments you've made re: negative space have been useful too. I've incorporated that into a couple of my previous posts.

here is Munnings try #2.

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
as a side note... i did try to protect my lights here more than the previous post.

For the most part my posts are from 9 x 12 oil paintings which is small for me! I need to get smaller brushes if I continue painting this size. :)

FaeLynn
10-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Wow, I have been busy and haven't had the time to look at this thread for a few days! NICE WORK! I love all the takes on the Munnings works! When I get time (soon) I would love to try this style. What a great thread!

winecountry
10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I suppose I could wait to post so my efforts are more refined on this thread but I don't think you are saying wait until we've tried each exercise 3 times before posting.

absolutely correct, you make your own "rules":) I'm looking at progress, moving beyond perfectionism, and concern over how it looks, into what can I learn and expose so I can grow. Is the work itself worth doing, not just getting pleasant results.

I am finding freedom in just moving on and not letting a perfectionsitic attitude get in my way of trying new things or revealing my efforts here. I think that is similar to what you are saying as far a letting your subconscious take over a bit. By posting the efforts it breaks the spell of perfectionism. I don't have to fear mistakes because that is how I (and everyone) learns. I know you agree because you have not been shy about posting more rough work either. I think that is freeing when it comes to art.

in total agreement here!

So to clarify: The goal of this thread is to allow us to work on a common goal of studying different painters and their styles and also to show our own personal progress as we work on individual goals.

Well just to clairfy, this was the original goal of the challenge,

By following my mantra for the year "follow where your art leads" , meaning instead of deciding from just the mind what to do, follow where your inner feelings say to go. As I set myself the 100, along about 30, came an urge to look at other horse art, from that I discovered Poortvlient, Munnings and Stubbs, by discover I mean I got really interested, not just browsing. From that, along about #40 came another urge to see what I could learn by copying, something I don't usually do, and that took me into what you see here. I had no idea of setting up an "exercise" for anyone except me:lol: but it seems your art led you to try it for yourself to see if what I said was true:thumbsup: .
So mentioning the 3 times, was just to say this is what I found from my own experience, and since you wanted to try it too, to encourage you even if the first one seemed unruly. Everyone here is making up their own path and then sharing that, we will all have the benefit of individual discoveries, and growth by posting not just pretty paintings, but by showing the inner workings.

Learning to trust that inner urging for the next steps in my growth as an artist, is something I'm getting to trust more and more. For instance I really wanted to start Birds next, and learn them, that was the mental idea, but instead the "inner artist" went running off after horses, so you see who gets listened to :lol:
I learned this the hard way when I was showing in galleries and had to produce specific work to sell, it wasn't long, a couple of years, before inspiration just went dead, although I was perfectly capable of making pretty paintings that sold, without true passion what's the point? The inner artist is never dried up, or out of enthusiam, so I follow her, The artist in my head is frequently tied up in knots, full of judgement, wants to please others, is afraid to try the unknown etc. so I don't follow her much. That artist is very useful for commissions, and to hold factual knowlege, say about the parts of a horse or something. I still want to do a long term bird study and know just where I'm going to start, so the inner artist is willing, but has a different priority than my mind.:D

My goals fit in nicely with the examples you've posted because I want to do my drawing directly on the canvas (in oils) and experiment with a looser style of painitng. I also want to concentrate on values. I am not interested at this point in painting details. My exercises are quick because I'd like to become more efficient with brushstrokes and kind of let what wants to come out come out. The comments you've made re: negative space have been useful too. I've incorporated that into a couple of my previous posts.

yes I have similar goals, so that is one of the reasons I picked him.
BTW, went checking online for art auctions. and found a 5x7 study of the exmoor ponies, at a bid of $50,000 -80,000, just little dabs here and there, also tried to find an old catalog of his work, Sothebys did one in 2000, used just the catalog is $250 :eek: all the used books are over the top too, but I'm not giving up yet...

Here is a couple of more I found online, Going out at Epsom is one of his more well known works.

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you Colleen. I appreciate you going deeper with this and elaborating on the purpose of this thread. I also am inclined to want to follow my inner artist. :)

winecountry
10-27-2008, 06:11 PM
You're welcome Sue,
Remember earlier when we were checking out POV (point of view)?

I just noticed on the last two Munnings posted that one(the sketch) is like we are on a little hill just above eye level and the other of the races like we are sitting on the ground looking up somewhat, that view makes the horse more majestic, bigger more important...

I'm still questing for the POV thing, I notice most of my own work is rather static at one kind of POV but there are others available. If I can understand how to do things in perspective, I will have more freedom of expression but so far its too nebulous for me to even think through. As I look over other work here on WC I see a more static view too, and like mine the same picture to picture...almost as if I relate to my subject the same way I relate to the picture plane on my easel, perpendicular....next one I'm going to see if I can vary that some. I've only just become aware of it at all.

winecountry
10-28-2008, 12:58 AM
#51 Sonny Sliding to a Stop oil 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2008/103030-sonny_sliding_to_a_stop_oil_8x10_wc.jpg
this young quarterhorse lives in the pasture next to me, I can't quite figure out his color, it may be chestnut or sort of dun he has a darker stripe down his back, I'm not too good on horse colors yet. The other thing is, it changes so much, looking golden one time almost light sorrel the next. As you can see from the ref I had to make up the head so I did that part from life, but it's so small to paint I didn't have a way to really make a portrait.

My Munnings work has made a difference, I like some areas unblended and stronger brush stroke, but over all much smoother than his. Right now its not a happy marriage, but it will need time to integrate a new way of painting, that's something to rememeber, don't go study with another artist if you are in the midst of needing to produce for an event, it will be a mess for a while.:lol:

reference

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2008/103030-sonny_0144.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2008/103030-sonny_0144.jpg

winecountry
10-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Just FYI, a few posts ago I mentioned a little 5x7 Munnings study of Exmoor ponies, at auction appraised at $60,000-90,000 Here it is,
even this small see how naturally he caught the horses, still individuals, and you know they were moving around, he is simply amazing,,,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2008/103030-1238.0.jpg

FaeLynn
10-28-2008, 06:36 AM
:clap: :heart: :clap:
Outstanding, I LOVE this one! See, doing lots of horses, you already know where the facial stuff and bone structure goes. Really beautiful. I'm thinking that's a dun. Guess we will learn more as our studies progress!!

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-28-2008, 08:11 AM
I'd say the photo is of a red dun.

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-28-2008, 09:26 AM
this is quite addicting. I've got a busy day today but made sure I at least got 30 min. to put something down today. I probalby will get back to it later. I'd like to do a grouping of 3 horses.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2008/50520-pinkgrazingcompresses.JPG

FaeLynn
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice quick study Sue!

winecountry
10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Question, what do you do to keep the horses feet aligned on th ground in the proper postitions and esp even. I get them on right with the intial drawing, but later things always seem to go astray:confused:

ColorsoftheRainbow
10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I added more to my study from the other day.

Colleen, as far as feet-- I make a suggestions of feet at the beginning and then when I am finalizing details I work on ending them in the right place. I don't know if I am a good one to ask though -- you can see in the back horse here I leave hooves until the end, didn't get to his yet but if you could see more closely you'd see marks I made to indicate where I think they should go -- although these guys are in grass so there is not much hoof showing....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2008/50520-pinkand_greencompressed.JPG

darkangels
10-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Ive just started today a new drawing. Its invert style, and is going to be an extra close close up of an arabians face.
I have never drawn this style before, so its a first for me :)
I have along way to go on this as ive only just started, and this is where im up too after about 1&1/2 hour.. It doesn`t look like much at the moment. (Is there an ugly stage for graphite?..lol.)
Will post updates as i go along.. :D

winecountry
10-30-2008, 01:11 PM
This is really interesting, thanks so much for joining the ride here, could you explain "invert" drawing a bit more?

darkangels
10-31-2008, 03:36 AM
An update !!

Is "invert" the same as "reverse"??? :) I trully am a beginner when it comes to drawing and terms used i think..Dohhh.. Im not sure what you guys call it where you dont draw an outline then shade, but shade toward an outline..am i making any sence?? If not please forgive me.. :D

darkangels
10-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Another update...

Still have lots to do..Will try finish it tomorrow :)

Lisa M
10-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Wow this is really cool. I love the close drama. What type of paper and pencils are you using? Is it a toothy paper or a smooth one?

darkangels
10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow this is really cool. I love the close drama. What type of paper and pencils are you using? Is it a toothy paper or a smooth one?
Im only drawing it in my sketch book, like all my drawings..lol. It is a smoother type paper but does have a little tooth..
I use a HB and 2B for nearly all my sketches.. Im glad you like this so far, hopefully it will all come together during the final stages, it looks a little odd at the moment.. :D

winecountry
11-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Lusitano Stallion
8x10 oil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2008/103030-verso_walking_wip_3_wc.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2008/103030-verso_walking_wip_3_wc.jpg
I've worked on this for hours and hours, and it's just not coming out right, so I'm stopping, I may put a glaze on it when dry to see if I can get the color better, this horse lives nearby, but the color is very unusual, a pale dappled buckskin that changes a lot depending on the light that day. This was too challenging for me right now, it was very late sunset, so the light was low and to the left and tinting everything gold and orange... Also took the shot with a very extended telephoto from very far away and there was alot of distortion in the photo.

Sorry don't have permission to post the photo.

I'm going to try more of him,

darkangels
11-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Im not sure i like it but am going to be leaving it how it is for now.

winecountry
11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
It's a striking image, reminds me of Gericault's work, a French Romantic painter in the 18th Century, who is known for one painting "Raft of the Medusa" but I've discovered recently was a superb equine artist
here are a couple, there are more at AllPosters.com

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2008/50520-grazing_WIP.JPG

Hope to get back to this challenge with more work the beginning of the week. I am adding the 3rd horse to one of my previous day's work in this photo.
Love the inverted drawing. It reminds me of a pixellated digital photo.

winecountry
11-02-2008, 03:42 PM
#54 oil on panel Verso Grazing 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2008/103030-verso_grazing_8x10_sm.jpg
still trying to get this Lusitano, this is closer but no cigar:lol: It may improve when its dry and and I can glaze a few places. Finding it very hard to get the mane to move and not be so stiff. Did find a technical innovation, I glued good bristol paper on the board and shellacked it,lovely smooth flawless without 4 coats of sanded gesso. It's a very slick surface so only using sable brushes works, anything else digs it up....there are shellaced paper oil paintings nearly 300 years old, so I'm not that concerned about the archival part..On to the next one, will keep painting him until I feel like I know him well enough

KerryOriginals
11-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Love everyones work on this thread! Such an inspiration! :clap: :clap:

I finally have another update on my painting. It is not finished yet, but, I think the horse is mostly done. I do want to go in and finish the mane and tail, and, I also see that I made the near foreleg hoof a bit too ... something! Bit too deep in the hoof maybe. Looks clunky anyhow, so needs something! The foreground needs finishing, and, I'm thinking the sky might need a bit more...warming up perhaps, but, might not mess with it at this point. Here are a couple progress pics. :wave:

FaeLynn
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
omg everyone's paintings are sooo beautiful! Kerry, this is the loveliest horse painting I have seen in a long time! I love the background and, well everything!! Colleen, yours are looking great too!

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-03-2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2008/50520-mini_donkey.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2008/50520-IMG_1383.JPG

The donkey is from yesterday. It is truly a 'mini' donkey since its on a 4 x 5 canvas.

My goals have been to paint allprima, drawing directly on the canvas with the wet paint and keeping the images loose.

Shari Erickson
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Colleen,
Regarding your Lusitano painting. How come you can't post the photo? It sounds like you are the one who took the photo. I'm confused!
You've got a good start on the painting. I really adore the Iberian breeds so am interested in how this one turns out. Consider moving the mountain peak from over his head to over his back.

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I am posting a WIP, this is 9 x 12 oil, drawing on the canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2008/50520-WIP1compressed.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2008/50520-WIP3compressed.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2008/50520-WIP6compressed.JPG

winecountry
11-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Looking good Sue,
Shari, I don't have permission from the owner yet, and don't feel comfortable posting until I do:)

winecountry
11-05-2008, 04:59 PM
#56 Verso walking 2 8x10 oil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2008/103030-verso_walking_2_oil_8x10_sm.jpg
Getting much closer, almost made it this time. Learning to observe much more closely, and have a better handle on the mane and tail with some studies. next one a head study, then maybe something more active...and bigger, this 8x10 is very small when I'm trying for portrait finish, brushstrokes of 1/16" can change things too much. However it is good dicipline, and makes me really look close. Sorry can't get the color quite, and there is a bit of glare on the wet part.

KerryOriginals
11-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Well, I was thinking this was done, but, I see a few spots that need fixing, and, I need to get better photos, so, this is another update! I think I may try one or two more mustangs from this area before I go onto another breed. I want to do a similar painting of a mustang stallion, perhaps a matched set, lol! A full herd scene would be a real challenge, too. But, no more canvas/linen! I hate the way the texture of the linen dominates the painting, and, makes it very hard to get a good photograph of. Next ones I may do on hardboard panels. :wave:

See what I wrote about this painting HERE! (http://www.ebsqart.com/Artists/cmd_7100_profile_portfolio__1_1_G.htm)

winecountry
11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Beautiful Kerry, the background is so well done, it reminds me of a place called Washoe Lake in NV, a spot I know looks just like this. It may be the photo, but there is one thing that catches my eye, and thats the large reflections on top of the eyes, they look so big that the eyes look clouded and bulging, and since one side is in shadow, and one in light it seems the reflections would be different in each one, just for my info I'm going to mess with it in Photoshop and see, you could do the same if you think the comment has any merit...She turned out a real beauty and tribute:thumbsup:

wischris
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi all! Just a quick note to say I am going to join you guys here. I am going to start real small since I have been in an art stupor since February. I need a kick in the pants to get moving again. Glad to see some folks here I know (Dawn from HAHA and Kerry from WHOA). The art is so inspiring and as usual Kerry you make me ILL. I have your little pinto mustang ACEO sized painting (the one you have prints of in your etsy store) and still to this day am totally amazed by it.

Anyway, just wanted to say HI!! as I have to get moving to attend an art group meeting I am planning rejoining.

C'ya later!

darkangels
11-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Wow Kerry, i love your painting, it`s beautiful..

Here is my next sketch, its of an arab filly called "Be My Flame" and i got the photo from our very own artist/photographer here at WC, Ainslie.

I have a long way to go on it yet and im not sure on putting in a background, im not much good at those..lol.

KerryOriginals
11-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi, Christine! Glad you are jumping in the frey! :wave: (sorry if I make you ill, though!:eek: )

Colleen, I do agree about the eyes, that is one of the things I wanted to go back into. I spent another 4+ hours on it today...only thought it would take maybe 1. Here it is one more time! It is better I think, but, after all this, I think that dratted right eye is still off! Anyway, in addition to the eye, I also worked more on the ears, muzzle, chest, forelegs, mane/tail, hocks, and hairy fetlocks, lol! OK, it would have been easier to just say what I didn't work on! In addition to the above problems, I now realize I have made the entire head too big! Hmmm. It stays for now. Maybe I will try fixing it later. On with the new!

KerryOriginals
11-07-2008, 06:07 AM
DarkAngel,
Thanks! I love your sketches, too! This one is already gorgeous!

wischris
11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Oh Kerry, you make me sick in a good way. I want to come to your house and paint with you.

BTW, I love the Luistano also, esp. that headshot in the 30 days thread! Awesome. I would love to see more of him.

Chris

winecountry
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Kerry,
I hope you don't mind this post, if so let me know and I'll refrain in the future, I usually do this by PM, but since this is a teaching, sharing thread I'm posting here this time. Please know I'm focused on the same things you are and did this for my own learning as well as any help it will give.

So here is the revision I made, what you added helped, below the pic I will explain my changes and why I made them
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2008/103030-attachment-1.php.jpg

This is the unrevised
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2008/103030-attachment.php.jpg

The biggest issue is edges. What I did is to blend values close to the edge of his head and the immediate background,notice you have a heavy dark line defining the edge, but in nature there are no edges, and there will always be some light curving around the form to slightly lighten the extreme edge, putting the darkest core of shadow slightly inside the edge of a curved form. So transitions are the whole ball of wax for realism. Any time there is a dark even edge or line the form will be flattened.

Next is the eyes, as you note the (our) right eye is incorrect, the structure there would have to change, I could not correct it completely with value change, so I'll go back to the highlights. Because the head is turned, the shadow side highlight should be different than the highlight side. I also changed the values there and I took off the eyelashes which would not be so easily distinguished from the distance we are viewing, and IMO lend a bit too much cartoonish feel, I have a bias in my work to make things conform to how the eye sees, more than detailing everything to the max, so since the eye can only sharp focus( due to it's physical construction of the fovea) on one small thing at a time the rest is not seen in that detail.
Check this out by standing about 6' away from a bookshelf, look with a fixed stare at the books in front of you, you will see the title, now without moving your head or eyes, notice how the books going out from the center begin to blur, until at the periphery things are very unclear, and mostly soft
focus

Not everyone works this way, as we have the influence of our powerful digital cameras to capture detail in ways the eye does not. But I feel you have a more naturalistic style, that comes closer to the classical style of painting.

Its a beautiful work and a wonderful tribute, even if you make no changes, it stands as a strong and masterful painting.

Thanks for providing me a chance to understand this more.
Colleen

darkangels
11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow, thanks for your post Colleen, i can honestly say i learnt so much just by reading it, everything you`ve stated makes perfect sence and like you said, regardless if any changes or not are made to Kerry`s painting, it`s still very beautiful and im extreemly jealous coz i can`t paint anywhere near as good..lol.

This thread is great, i really have learnt so much just watching you guys :)

winecountry
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks darkangels, I would love you to share more of your process, like the materials, how you get the beautiful rich darks, and just anything about how you work, your drawings are so beautiful and dramatic, I'd love to know more.

#57 Verso, Lusitano head study 9x12 oil on panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2008/103030-verso_oil_head_studysm.jpg

Well Finally! this actually has some of the feel of this particular stallion, the Lusitano head is so different, it took me a few days to do this, being so careful to make an acutual portrait. This is mostly just taking a lot of time and being very careful to make each value change just so, working from general to specific areas smaller and smaller I actually got the color right too tho the photo may not show well, the mane is not quite done, but will only get minor tweaks and a glaze to finish...I actually carefully measured each little thing to make sure the eye placement etc was correct, and I used the background edges to keep correcting the profile so even if you think its off it's not:lol: this view is surprisingly not exact profile but has the tiniest little turn so you can just barley see past the mid line, check the eye, so his big chin does not show like it did on the previous study. This level of observation was really hard for me, to see the slight turn, the head ducked down a bit, the mane shape moving from the walk in a little wind...etc. but if anyone ever wants to pay me a lot of money for a portrait, I'd need to do the same level I did here, providing it didn't push me over the edge of my patience level :eek: sorry still don't have permission to post these photos

I'm going to do a few more action images of him before I go on to something else....but nothing this tight again, I'm not really this tight naturally, but I feel the discipline of this kind of realism is excellent training for the eye, and strenghtens my technique..I like to know that I can if I want to:D

FaeLynn
11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Beautiful work, everyone! I am still watching... Gonna do some Art Cards.

KerryOriginals
11-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Colleen,
I appreciate your wonderful, consise critique! That is the kind of information I really need to improve, so, yes, I welcome comments and critiques of my work! I know line quality and edges are a weakness in my painting...I tend to get caught up in trying to execute these perfect outlines and shapes and forget to paint, lol! I'm not sure I want to go back into this one at this time, but, you have given me some very good pointers. If I do rework it, I'm afraid Imay be tempted to make a major structural change that could ruin the whole thing, :eek: but it is looking more and more grotesque to me, so it is fix it or hide it!;)

I Love Verso #57! What a gorgeous portrait! I'm really enjoying your series on him!

Chris, that would be fun! :)

FaeLynn
11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I did 2 art trading cards...both horse themed. Never tried em before.. but they promise to be fun. I am in NO way used to drawing this tiny.
Anyway here they are, hope this is okay to post them here.

First one is called "The Missing Wreath". Colored pencil and the other one's graphite.

darkangels
11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Colleen, im with Kerry, i love #57 Verso as well, his eye is gorgeous, it`s my fav of yours so far..lol. :D

I draw my art with simple re-placeable HB lead pencils and a 2B mainly. Ainslie sent me some sketch pads that im using at the moment which i love.
Im drawing "Be My Flame" on some smooth surface cartridge paper and i love the different effect its giving me compared to my usual sketch paper.
Im not much good at explaining the technique i use to draw as i never have a set plan. Sometimes ill start from the eye, other times maybe the ears or muzzle, it just depends on what first catches my eye on a subject as i dont see real good, it can take me a little while to get focused. Most of the time im using alot of guess work in my drawing as to structure and shading etc.. I do try and draw from black and white as compared to colour most of the time because its easier for me to see, and i get horrible migrains.. (((ouch)))

Oh, and as you can see here with this update post of "Be My Flame" i can change the whole look of the picture, in regards to effects, many many times before im happy with it..

See how different she looks now compared to my first post?? I haven`t added to much more in the way of shading, i have done more subtracting (if that makes sence) and blending. Will probably look totally different again by the time im done and happy with it..lol.

I get dark areas as dark as i can (when needed) by doing heaps of layers of just slow, small, circular motions of the 2B pencil, it can take along time to get things really dark as you cant rush it. Or i cant..lol. if i do i end up being able to see my pencil strokes or i dent the paper and i hate that..

This is about the stage in a drawing (picture posted) where i start layering in finer details and muscle tone etc and im about half way done :)

winecountry
11-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Fae love the freedom of the lower drawing, I went near over the edge doing a challenge awhile back all small, I really hated it, but have to say it helped me paint small areas ever after so the pain was worth it
Darkangels...just perfect description, you see different so your art has a very unique look and it's really wonderful to know what it takes to make those amazing darks.
OK Kerry, thanks for leaving things open.
Glad Verso #57 was a hit, it was a LOT of work:eek:

So I've been thinking over Kerry's work, and those eyes, I've stayed away from that angle because I've seen so many works where it just doesn't look right, maybe just an awkward pose to mostly be avoided tho I sure have a lot of photos like that See if anyone can find a finished equine work of this angle that looks good and maybe we can figure it out.

To help I went back to the Stubbs anatomy drawings, and captured just that part of the head, there are the bones, the muscles and the set of the eyeball in the socket.
THE PARAGRAPH BELOW IS GROSS SO IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH, DONT READ IT, JUST SKIP TO THE PICTURES.
George Stubbs(1724-1806) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stubbs
was the first to really dissect and then make immensensly detailed drawings from which he later did the engraving of plates of horse anatomy which to this day is still unequalled. To make them in 1754 he rented a farmhouse in the village of Horkstow,Lincolnshire, and spent 18 months dissecting horses. His method was to dispach the horse by the jugular vein, pump the veins and arteries full of wax and hang the corpse up on hooks with a floor under it like it was standing, and beginning at the skin peeling down layer by layer through the muscle and eventually to the bone, and with the most amazing accuracy drawing each stage for hours and hours each day. He might spend up to 6 weeks with one horse, imagine the smell the flies and how much effort this was.:eek: So I try to remember his sacrifice and the horse, when I use his results to try and be a better painter

Here are the three , skull, eye socket and eyeball, and the outer muscles.
this is how I discovered in the painting of the mustang that the right eye would have to be completely redone to read right.

bTW Kerry, I mostly plunge right in and scrape off or repaint if dry the whole area when I get the feeling I might ruin something that's off. I find mostly this is a good idea, as I learn more by repainting than by trying to "fix" a mistake because everything is connected and when I move one thing the rest goes off. This is the reason Verso 57 took so long, I had to keep repainting the eye, and the nose over and over. until it all finally worked, although I think there is a bit more tweak on the nostril to go. Sometimes I do stop before I "ruin" it but that's mainly on commissions where time is money. When its for me I just go ahead, if it's runined I still learn a lot and the next try is better, as you can see by the Verso group I am getting better each time at least a little, by the 10th one I should be much better.:lol:

darkangels
11-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Those illustrations are just amazing, thanks for posting them Colleen :D

Just thought i would show you all the next stage of my drawing, still not quite finished it though..

FaeLynn
11-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Colleen, and those are such neat Stubbs works.
Karen, your horses are so awesome. I spent an hour this morning (yes, already!) looking at your posts, wow wow wow. I love your work!

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-08-2008, 08:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2008/50520-DSCF2908compressed.JPG

I couldn't remember if I posted this here or not. Its a commission I've been working on and just finished. I am shipping it today.

I had a heck of a time with the paint's eye because the reference was in deep shadow. I did what I could and then decided it was best to leave it. This was my first oil. Nothing like learning on a commission!

winecountry
11-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Sue that's a tricky composition, the paint horse is esp nice

Verso #58 at trot 10x7 oil on canvas paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2008/103030-verso_58_trotsm.jpg
back to looser studies, I may tweak the neck shadow a bit, this only took about an hour, and I have a handle now on the whole business:lol: , there are only 2 things, right values and right edges. :lol: Everything is just the right values in the right place, with careful attention to the shadow shapes and cast shadow within an area( just more values), then using softer brushes, blending some edges here a little, there a lot, and in just a very few places, some sharp edges.

FaeLynn
11-08-2008, 08:44 PM
OOh Colleen That is a beautiful horse! One thing bugs me though (it's not on MY wall! lol) is his front feet. They're a bit confusing as to which foot goes with which leg.. If you look at it too long it looks like an optical illusion!
I know you said he's trotting so I know which goes where.. but look what I said and see if you agree.
I'll be watching for more!

winecountry
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
yes, I have to wait for paint to dry, to get the separation, then I can go back in and lay on thicker highlights and put in some edges.

Next one is a better angle and bigger, the last one was so small that only little tiny bits are possible, the foot is less than 1/4 inch.

alija1001
11-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Winecountry could you tell me why the horse has a cover over his eyes????? Great pictures from everyone

winecountry
11-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Because he has a very long forelock, when he moves in order to see, he will shake his head, making the forelock split and fall to each side, and the wind and moving in a trot plasters it down and back. at least I think this is what you mean:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2008/103030-verso_forelock.jpg

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Gill may have been referring to an earlier photo of a horse with a fly mask. Fly masks just velcro over the halter to keep the flies away from a horse's eyes. They can see fine thru it.

winecountry
11-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Gill may have been referring to an earlier photo of a horse with a fly mask. Fly masks just velcro over the halter to keep the flies away from a horse's eyes. They can see fine thru it.
Oh Sue, I think you're right, that one was so far back I'd forgotten about it:lol:

alija1001
11-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes that was what I meant it looked like a blindfold. Thanks for letting me know.

shantel
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
hi guys...these wont upload into the library ??? so if anyone wants to use some please feel free...sorry about some of the blurry ones:o
I've got lots they just wont upload:confused:

winecountry
11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow what action, and the middle one answers a question I've had about how streched out a horse could get....In a few days, we hope to have a workaround for the broken RIL which it does not seem they are going to fix anytime soon. We are starting a Photo Library on our forum, when it's up I'll post a link to it here on this thread.
Thanks for the photos:clap:

KerryOriginals
11-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Colleen, love the Stubbs reference! I have a book on animal anatomy with his work in it...just don't open it enough!

Shantel, love the photos, especially the first. It has great emotion and action! :)

Well, I decided to give my painting a new head....:eek: :p and this is where it stands now. LOL! It's never done 'til it's been sold and out of my sight! :evil:

wischris
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I haven't painted on canvas in like a year if not longer and this one has had so many sketches put on it that I was beginning to think it would be better to burn it than have it staring at me. But I thought I'd try the fancy Arab above and if I don't like it would be no loss.

Thanks for providing the fun picture.

Sure wish this site loaded up faster.

shantel
11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
oohh wishcris Im gald youre having a go at him...he's my baby and when I get ...got my camera he he would go MAD!!!! but I recently swapped him ...very sad...heres a couple more

shantel
11-11-2008, 08:41 PM
just one more...........not sure if I put this one on before

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone sorry I have not been around, ever since I got back from vacation I have had internet trouble and have been really busy. The rain has started and if there is any wind my internet is sporadic, I also had started a couple of commissions for Christmas and she called and asked if I could get them done for thanksgiving !! They are mosaics and very time consuming, thank goodness I had started them. Almost done.

I did not get any drawing done when I was away ,all the down time I thought I was going to have did not happen. Without getting into everything I will just explain one thing, my husband was very proud of this, he needed a curtain on the bathroom window but was not about to go get one so he took a towel and duck taped it in place, need I say more, Lol. I was very busy getting his apartment in some kind of living condition. Do me a favor and send the sell my house vibes this way!!!!!!

Ok now I am going to try and list the few drawings I have done to date. I have been busy and tired but have done a drawing almost every night, I am determined to make this challenge work for me and even though some of the drawings are not very good I am learning and having fun. I wish I could get more done during the day but this is the best I can do for now

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
#7 leg running

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
# 8 & 9 bones in movement

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
#10 leg showing bones

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
The next 5 are what I call doodles. I copied 4 of them from the anatomy book, they show the horse in action. I drew them very fast not caring about detail . I loved that I was able to get the action and it really helps to see the placement of the bones. I will do a lot more of these and hope someday that I can draw or paint from my own reference and be able to know where to place the skeleton # 11- 14

Dawn Melka
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
# 16 This one I copied from a magazine, just shows the legs in action.

I am hoping to do some sketches with paint maybe I will have a chance tomorrow

I cant wait to go back and read all the posts. I will try and list every day but if you don’t hear from me its just the internet.

FaeLynn
11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Okay Dawn! lol I was starting to think you're all talk and no action!!
These are nice! Shantel, those are beautiful photos!

KerryOriginals
11-12-2008, 09:28 PM
:clap: lol, Welcome aboard, Dawn! Loved all the sketches!:clap:

I think I may be done with this mustang now (not really, I see something, again!) So, maybe finished! I'm already planning the next which will be a running mustang stallion. :D

FaeLynn
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Kerry that is beautiful. Now I can't decide whch version I liked better! You are brave to change it! And I think it's awesome that you can't even tell. Boy if I did that with pastels I'd have to trash it.

KerryOriginals
11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
LOL! Thanks! I like this one better, although the first one was a more natural stance, I think. It's always a gamble to make such a major correction, for sure! I only had one spot that is still visible from the underpainting, the white line of ridged paint across the horses brow. That is the old line of the mountains. Everything else covered up well without any obvious texture to give it away!

AnnGarlough
11-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Ah, Kerry, you never cease to amaze me. Just when the entire equine world thinks it's perfect, you go and do things few of us would have the courage to do!

I love both versions and if you are happier with this one then that is the way it is supposed to be!

Dawn Melka
11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
LOL

I cant wait to get some painting time in but for now the sketches will do. I would even love some more sketch time so I could take one of them further. O-well it will happen.

Kerry I still cant believe you made that change, I wont call it a correction because it was major. If I was not happy with the painting at that point I would have thrown it in the trash and started over. Good for you and the painting is awesome

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2008/50520-onamishtime.JPG

I got to kill two birds with one stone on this 'work in progress' painting. Its part of my daily paintings I am doing on my blog and also equine themed so I can post it here. I am just blocking in values. My goal is for it to be loose in the end. I am probably just half way thru so far. This is my neighbor with his team. I loved how the horses are nuzzling each other. They do that often when they are waiting while harnessed. The paint is wet so excuse the glares. 6 x 6 oil.

winecountry
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I really like this Sue, and 6x6 is really tiny for you, did you buy new brushes?
Kerr y this is an improvment and a fine work, hope you don't mind me butting in some, but still don't think you quite captured her, something about her aliveness, I can't quite put my finger on. Since I'm on #11:eek: of Verso, and am just beginning to catch him, I'd encourage you to try another, if I remember this is a favorite mare of yours from your past, not a client horse, it'd be fine for a client, but maybe you want more? it gets easier the next time:lol: only my opinion

#62 and #63
Verso study 8x10 oil( leaving that foot for later:lol:)
Verso Salute to the Sunset, 11x14 oil WIP has to dry for next layers.
Still don't quite have him but the sunset work is very close if I can pull it off, I'm not stopping until I feel like I really have him. Good thing this is for me and not a client or I'd have to just tell them sorry, maybe next year,
I'm really learning a lot doing the same horse over and over, see new details every time, and some of the standard anatomy I can almost do from memory now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2008/103030-verso_study_trot.jpg

WIP
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2008/103030-Verso_salute_oil_wip_1.jpg

darkangels
11-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Kerry, can you change it back, i think i like the first one better..HaaaHaaa JOKING...what can i say but beautiful..lol. I mean i was in awe with the first painting but i love the changes as well. Like somebody has already said, if your happy with it now then it was meant to be.. Great job, and thank you for sharing your talent with us :)

Dawn Melka
11-14-2008, 10:36 AM
# 17 Lil’s eye

I had a hard time stopping with this one. I really need to remember that these are not finished drawings and I don’t need each and every detail. I may do this one again as a painting just to see if I can get it better.

Colleen I love # 42

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes Colleen, I got new smaller brushed AND bifocals! LOL!

This was my daily painting from yesterday. I wrote a little about amish culture on my blog to go along with this scene. If I were to do this again as a larger, more complete paintng I would work on the front end of the horses but I left it since this is more of a study than anything else. I will go back and put in some warm highlights after it dries a bit. I kept losing my warm lights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2008/50520-onamishtimefinalcompressed.JPG

winecountry
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I got a note from Larry re the RIL, they are still thinking over the proposal to have a Photo Library thread for just our forum. New owners of F and W and a new admin person so I'm not holding my breath. Eventually they will fix it I suppose, but in the meantime they have a sticky for a temp RIL here
[URL="http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115"]http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115[/URL
but if you post there it's mixed up with everything, landscape, still life etc.

So I'd say use this thread to post horse pics or use the All Horses Thread in the hall of fame, so we can keep these beauties handy...here are some I took today, I'm starting to collect group shots these are mine, and you can use them.

KerryOriginals
11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone!
Sue, I love the hitch painting!
Dawn, I need to do some eye studies, too! Working small, I have really started doing such generic eyes that I forget how to do them on the larger pictures!
Colleen, I have to agree about losing the spark on the painting. I am going to wait a bit and then go back into it and see if I can't do a better job on it. It can just sit and stew awhile! In the meantime, I'm going to get started on something new! I am still on a New Mexico mustang theme, and, will do my next one using a background from the same general area, but, this time it will be of the old Mal Pais lava flows just to the west of Carrizozo, NM. This area is just north of the background I used on the last painting. It is a very harsh and trecherous area but several herds of mustangs used to call it home. I've been playing with some ideas on paper, and may go in and do two paintings of this, the vertical and the horizontal with the lava ridge behind them. Here are some thumbnail sketches on this theme, and, I also did a 4x6 sketch of my mustang, Dusty...now if I can just repeat this sketch in the paintings again!

KerryOriginals
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
...and the Dusty sketch....

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
lovely sketches Kerry!

FaeLynn
11-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Kerry those sketches are fabulous!!! And I love the photos Colleen. I wanna come to YOUR house! :-) You got nice "NEIGH" bors! lol.

winecountry
11-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Kerry, just love the sketch of Dusty, it is so alive and the light is just so beautiful in it, there is a lot I can learn just by studying how you've treated the edges of light against dark all through the work. and love seeing you share your working process on the the next painting.

I'm also glad to see how you reacted to my comment on the painting, I know most people would be very happy with it, and there are some nice passages in it, and one of the things here is to be free of having to please or get strokes, so we can all take chances, keep moving, and reaching beyond what we thought we could do.

No effort is wasted, as any result brings learning and growth. The most important part of that painting to me is that you simply moved the head without trying to keep what you had. In other words you were willing to let go of an adequate result and move to a better solution, and you got that too. But that Dusty drawing shows me you are capable of much more and I'm here to support that. Move on, move on, there is so much more to carry on to new work where you are going now, and I have a feeling as you hit the new levels you will be able to go back if you like and with a few strokes bring her to where you want, so much more a profitable use of time than nit picking a finished work.

KerryOriginals
11-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Colleen, I'm movin on! I'm moving on! LOL! Seriously, I haven't really pushed myself in years so yes, this has been very instructional. I just have to finish preparing my board for the next one (keep putting it off). I will work on a hardboard panel so I don't have to fight the canvas texture like I did the last one. I don't like texture on my paintings unless I put it there. :)

Mette Rörström
11-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi! I saw this yesterday... is ok to jump in?
So mutch wonderful work here.:thumbsup: to you all!
This is one I am working on...
Oil on canvas. 19 x 24 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2008/130835-DSCN0553.JPG

winecountry
11-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Mette,
you are welcome to join us, we do have a specific focus here, just in case you didn't go back to the first page here it is

what this means is setting specific goals for yourself that you work on consistantly, most of us are doing this everyday, or close to it, and that you produce more work than you usually do, pushing past what you think you can do. The goals should be stated clearly so we all know what you are trying to achieve and can support you in that. Of course the horse is the only subject for this thread:thumbsup:

Kerry I too am swearing off canvas, I don't like the texture either, I'm experimenting with several things, when I'm done I'll make a post, was hoping you might post on how you prepare a surface as part of our learning here, love your enthusiam for the challenge:thumbsup:

Mette Rörström
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
winecontry....
My goals are as you said to paint even more than I usualy do and to get the hang of painting horses.I think it is difficult to get the fur/hair on the horse rigth.It´s so gorgerous animale, I want to do them as prowd and majestetic as I think they looks...:) I know can learn a lot of you all here...

Dawn Melka
11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
#18 lils eye

I decided to sketch the eye in paint, the same one I did yesterday and limiting myself to one hour. I blocked everything in as quick as I could then tried to not worry about fine detail. For me this is good because I did not have time to pick at it. Now that’s not to say I wont work on it later but setting a time limit was really good.

I may paint a value study, limit it to one color and white, just thinking out loud

KerryOriginals
11-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the challenge Mette! I look forward to watching your work progress!

Colleen, I'll do a write up on preparing hardboard panels. I've been spending too much time online lately and not painting...better get off and do something! Ha!

Dawn, I love the quick eye painting! It really doesn't need any more detailing:clap: , although I think a few carefully placed eyelashes would be just enough!

winecountry
11-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Kerry thanks I'll look forward to comparing notes as we seem to have the same feelings about canvas.

Dawn, great study, the time thing does get you a new place(she says as she stares at a painting that's taken four days so far, and this is only a study:mad: )and you are really meeting the challenge to push into new areas

Mette, good thanks for the post on your goals, you may want to read some of the posts for others here on what they are going for. Now that you have a goal of more, try thinking and writing about how you plan to meet that by Jan 15 when this challenge closes. How many, or what kind, or what techniques do you want to improve, etc, to get more detailed about what you want to accomplish. You don't have to do this, but we can help support you better if you do, and you will find it easier to focus if you think this over more.

Mette Rörström
11-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Winecontry...I am not so good with words...but I know I want to improwe my way of using the brush.I always fidle alot,when I want something where I want the brushstrokes to come out I always end up with a "smoth"painting.If I can get this right ,my paintings will come out more alive. looser brushstrokes, not fideling,that must be my goal for now.and painting faster,more than usual.

I have done some work on my horse...It was a bit dificult to get a good pic. of it as I had to use inndoors light.Here it is dark and rainy all day :( .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/130835-DSCN0561.JPG

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/50520-wirehorse.JPG

I did this last night just to play around. I am thinking of mounting this on a canvas with an abstract metallic background. If I do I'll post it here.

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-16-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/50520-slate_horse.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/50520-slatehorse2.JPG

I am still play! I had a couple pieces of slate with a painting I wasn't happy with so I got some metallic paint and wanted to go more abstract with it -- unfortunately this surface isn't photographing very well since it is reflective. What I like about it which doesn't show well is the texture in the slate showing thru the thin paint.

Mette Rörström
11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
When I looked at my horse painting nr.1,I think I say it´s done. The pose of this horse made it difficult.
As I want to improwe my brushwork and learn better how to paint horses,I found another....not so difficult and I´l get the hole body. Here I wil try to use the brush more free/loose...(I do not know what you call it in english).The horse have a lot of hair hanging infront of the face and on his/hers leggs. So I got to praktice brushstrokes. I will try to do the hole painting at one go.
here is a quick sketch/underpainting of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/130835-DSCN0562.JPG

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Mette, i like your loose brush strokes.

I mounted the wire horse I did on a canvas. Due to glare I ahd to take the photo at an angle so it distorted the proportions just a bit in this photo but it gives you the general idea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/50520-wire_horse3.JPG

Dawn Melka
11-16-2008, 09:15 PM
# 19 lils eye 3 colors

This is the same eye as before but with three colors. I was only going to use one color plus white but I had been given a sample pack from the art store, goldens open. So this is the same eye, it went much faster because I was not worried about color. I did have to stop after 20 minutes because I was lifting color, I let it dry and then worked about 10 more.

I also painted on an art panel , this was the first time I had used one, I think I really liked it and will try it in the future. The only thing these have a notch for hanging and I did not pay any attention to that so this poor eye can’t even hang right, good thing its just a sketch.

Kerry I took your advise and added lashes, made all the difference, thanks ! I also softened around the eye a bit I did not like the dark against the light, looked like a bulls eye. It is a lot softer than the scan shows but you guys will most likely see what I mean.

Colleen, Lol This has really been good for me and yes a time limit is exactly what I need.

Colors of the Rainbow I just love that, how cool.

Mette I just love your start cant wait to see more

winecountry
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Great study Dawn, how do you like the golden open? I tried them but I like my oils better, would use the golden for field studies tho

Mette, yes that's it! now we know where you want to go, and I can see that happening in the paintings you are posting, you and Sue have some of the same goals. don't worry, your words are just fine to get your ideas across:thumbsup:

Sue every interesting...how little is needed and the form becomes a horse

Mette Rörström
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Sue...Dawn Melka...Thank you! I need thoose words. I feel a litle lost.I have not painted so many horses,so it´s good to hear that you like what you see.

Mette Rörström
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Sue...Dawn Melka...Thank you! I need thoose words. I feel a litle lost.I have not painted so many horses,so it´s good to hear that you like what you see.

Sue, your`s is different but wonderful!
Dawn Melka...the eye looks great!Love the colors!

oops!something happend here???:confused: suddently there is two of same post...Sorry!

winecountry
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
#64 Verso Moving, wip2 11x14 oil on panel
I still have a lot to do on the head and mane and tweaking here and there. Let me know if you see something.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2008/103030-verso_moving_wip2.jpg
I wanted to try something really hard,(for me anyway) and boy did I ever, this is 4 days work, and I've decided one more day then I stop and put it away. The problems were many, the strange movement, having to translate the photo taken at sunset to get his color, the light and shade and on and on. Re the color, he is a sort of pale gleaming buckskin, but something is really diffferent about him, I've been several times to look and look, his coat reflects light in a way I can't explain, and seems to absorb whatever is around it, so the photo taken at sunset is no where near what he really is.
I loved the curve of the head and neck, and the play of the legs. I think this is really beyond my skill level at this point, but I will try one more day anyway, I did get close.:D

atelier_m
11-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Hello all! I would like to cheer all of you on ... and let you know that I (and probably many others) are enjoying this thread. I check in on it everyday. It is a pleasure to see what you are achieving. :thumbsup: :clap:

I am sure that you have already seen this book, but just in case ... I have found "The Artist's Guide to Animal Anatomy" by Gottfried Bammes to be helpful. It covers more animals than the horse, but it is mostly about the horse. It approaches what is happening with the joint action in the legs in a way that I haven't seen anywhere else.

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Guide-Animal-Anatomy/dp/0486436403/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226904630&sr=8-1

Thanks to all of you!

Mary :)

winecountry
11-17-2008, 03:38 AM
thank you. I went and looked and ordered....a review says it's super, and with Hulgren( which I already have) one has the best for artists....

steph G
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Colleen thats fantastic!!!! Dont underestimate it, I thinks it was a brave project but, wow, you are pulling it off.! Great work everyone I am quite inspired. :)

Mette Rörström
11-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi! I have worked on this....got a bit more to do ,But I post 2 pic. so you can see whats happening here..

I had to adjust a bit... , the horse came out to big or fat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2008/130835-DSCN0563.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2008/130835-DSCN0564.JPG

well back to work....:)

FaeLynn
11-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, I know I am not keeping up with the rest of you rustlers!
But since I did see someone painted on a rock, I wanted to add mine!
I was at Lake Erie this past summer, and picked up a rock from the water, went to work with colored pencils on it, and here's what I came up with. No reference, this was out of my head (and it shows lol) but anyway...something to do while sitting around the campfire!!

FaeLynn
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
P.S. Colleen, you were not out of your zone with that last painting, it's fabulous. Just a weird pose is all, but you got it!!
Mette, your last one is nice too! I like how loose your strokes are. If you just get rid of the round part to the left of the horse, he'll look great I think!!

atelier_m
11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
thank you. I went and looked and ordered....a review says it's super, and with Hulgren( which I already have) one has the best for artists....

Don't miss page 127 on the eye. It is tucked in way at the end and for some reason, I didn't see it for ages. :rolleyes:

Mary ;)

Mette Rörström
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Done!:) (I Think...).

Oil on canvas.
33 x 35 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2008/130835-hest_nr.2.JPG

shantel
11-17-2008, 07:38 PM
hi mette, love the lighting in the painting....just one question and I'm sure its because I have a very old monitor :)...I cant seem to make out what each leg is doing or what is each leg....what gait is the horse doing?

winecountry
11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
I took a day off of Verso and went to see my first Icelandic horses, which are called horses but are pony size.

What was almost surreal is I asked a woman training her dressage horse if she knew where I could find some. Here she was on the HUGE magnificent showy horse an Andulsian towering above me, and the next horse I see is this scruffy little, what the woman called, "tolt pony" who's back was just above my waistline. A bigger contrast of horses you could not find anywhere!

The tolt is a special gait of the Icelandic Horse( oldest purest breed of horse) that is very comfortable for the horse and the rider, a ground covering fast walk they can keep up for a long time...what's more they are strong enough to carry a full grown adult, see the size in the photo with Judy who kindly gave me access to her sweet little wonderful horses...they are in winter coat now and quite fuzzy....you can use these photos to create original art if you like. I'm hoping this will be one of the breeds for the breed challenge in Jan. I was completely captivated, and had a thought at least if one fell off the ground was closer:lol:

Mette Rörström
11-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi,shantel!
The horse is going forewards.:lol: :lol: I have not painted so many horses before so the result can be a bit odd.I wil try to fix it so the wewer can se whats going on. It was a bit difficult to se the legs,so mutch hair ewerywhere.thanks for telling.:lol: I hope I will be better at this, thats one of my goals...Il post it again when I´m done.:)

KerryOriginals
11-18-2008, 05:01 AM
I've been prepping panels all day so I will have something to paint on, lol! Here is a link to a "How To" page on making hardboard panels for anyone interested.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7340239#post7340239

I also worked on this little sketch between coats of gesso. It is about 4x4 and not quite finished in this pic. I worked from a photo I took at Trinity Meadows when it was open. I'll get a better pic when it is done. :wave:

winecountry
11-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the panel prep thread Kerry, 4x4 is so small, you got a lot on it

OK this is the final post for Verso, I will do a tiny bit more, but nothing the camera will pick up when this is completly dry. Then I will scumble more tones in the mane and soften some shadows. And I feel I finally "got" what I was seeking, some forms and movement that are specifically him. so I'm finally moving on...Icelandic Horses are next
Verso Moving oil on panel, 11x14
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2008/103030-Verso_moving_final1586_copy.jpg

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
very nice Colleen. wish I could see it in person-- the colors I bet are wonderful!

This is an update on the arab mare I started a few days ago. I will likely need to hold back from participating for a bit until I get some commissions out of the way but this time to 'play' has been very good for me! I do think I will make a point of doing these fun quick studies as a warm up not matter what I am working on because they are relaxing and helps to get in the 'zone'.

I am thinking of doing the background in this painting as a desert/dunes kind of thing since I like the warm, stark ground and cool background. Since this is an arab maybe she can be in her native land! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2008/50520-arab_in_the_dunes.JPG

KerryOriginals
11-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Beautiful, Colleen! I feel I got to know Verso just a bit through your paintings of him! :clap:

Sue, Can't wait to see this one unfold! You could put an oasis scene as the background! :D

I'm starting my next! This is just the block-in. It has a long ways to go, and, yes, it will get lots of corrections along the way. This background is a lava flow. The mustangs are grazing the grassy verges along its edges. Size is 14x18 (getting bigger! lol!)

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I like how the foal is framed by the larger horses. I almost missed him! Very nice start Kerry. I also have to laugh because as you go larger I am going smaller. 8 x 10 was tiny to me before I started doing these daily paintings! LOL!

FaeLynn
11-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I am going a whole LOT smaller! This one's an art trading card, 2.5 by 3.5"
Just thought I'd share.. hey it's a horse after all.

Lisa M
11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll jump in here with a short note. . . . I've been following along closely with everyone's progress. Absolutely stunning work!

Mette--I was waiting for one of the experts to offer more specifics, but I do believe the front right leg on your large horse (as we look) is "bent" the wrong way. . . . The knee joint should be forward, not backward. That might help with the gait representation.

Good luck and I continue looking forward to more!

Mette Rörström
11-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Lisa...thank you! I do not know for shore what you meen,but I have done some changes....tell me what you think...(it´s not so good photo, but I hope you can see.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2008/130835-xxx.JPG

Lisa M
11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Mette,

I apologize for not being more clear. (And by the way, I commend all of you who use English as a second--or third or fifth--language!)

Regarding the leg shape, if you scroll up to Kerry's or the others' recent horse images, you'll see that many of them are walking or trotting, and the front leg (either one) is bent at the knee, with the knee forward instead of backward. The images are not all the same angle or pose as yours, but the anatomy is the same in that the knee joint is forward, like a humans, not backward, like a dog or cat.

The mane and the rest of your horse is great; you just need to reverse the leg shape. You can also look through the rest of this thread to see plenty of skeleton studies which will show precisely how the joints connect and bend.

I would show in Photoshop, but I admit I don't use it and am not going to learn today. Maybe tomorrow;) .

Good luck to you! Maybe the experts can further advise if this still doesn't make sense.

Mette Rörström
11-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Lisa M...I am sorry I did not understand what you meent. But I just looked at my painting:o ...now I have done the studie of the other post as you said...Of course you have right...wrong bend at the knee.I can see it now..:) This is one of the reasons I jumt in here, to learn how to paint horses...I hope I can do bether when I have painted more horses.Thank you for your help!:)

TABCgal
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I am really enjoying this thread and loving all the beautiful equine works! Hope you don't mind if I barge in and post one of mine. :o I am a mural artist, but have always loved drawing horses since I was a little girl. Anyway the title of this one is Curious Foal, done in Prismas on Bristol paper.. C&C welcome, of course!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/157653-100_2457.jpg

TABCgal
11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Here's a photograph of my Arab gelding, Caper, that is almost exactly like your painting! Did you use a reference photo or was this just off the top of your head? I know I've never posted this picture here, so you couldn't have used it, and I am sitting here totally amazed at the similarities. :eek: I will be following your WIP just to see how it comes out. Oh, and you may use this picture for a reference if you'd like.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/157653-100_1283.jpg very nice Colleen. wish I could see it in person-- the colors I bet are wonderful!

This is an update on the arab mare I started a few days ago. I will likely need to hold back from participating for a bit until I get some commissions out of the way but this time to 'play' has been very good for me! I do think I will make a point of doing these fun quick studies as a warm up not matter what I am working on because they are relaxing and helps to get in the 'zone'.

I am thinking of doing the background in this painting as a desert/dunes kind of thing since I like the warm, stark ground and cool background. Since this is an arab maybe she can be in her native land! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2008/50520-arab_in_the_dunes.JPG

winecountry
11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Here is the finish of a previous Verso, I will still be working a bit more on th mane catching the last rays of the sun..but essentially done, tighter than some of the others, probably tighter than I really enjoy working but had a heck of a time with the light, the composition, and esp that amazing head.
His handler had just "swished" him to get this pose, my first of that stallion neck. And one more thing, about the color, some horseperson told me this so you horsey ones know it I'm sure but it was a revelation to me. She said stalllions have hormones that change the coat and give it the peculiar "glow" I kept trying to capture, I knew something was different about the color, but until this one I never really got it right, and even the subtle dapple that shows in some lights. I know the composition is strange, but I thought to try it anyway, and it might be a good poster for Dressage in the Winecountry, that happens here.

There is no way you can get the full effect of the color here, I painted it on a very smooth white suface, so there is quite a glow in the sky as the transparent layers let the light go thur and bounce back.

Verso Salute to the Sun 9x12 oil on panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/103030-verso_wip_5_sm.jpg

winecountry
11-23-2008, 06:58 PM
#70 Ayer head study
the first of the Icelandic Horse group, Ayer is the Icelandic word for eagle. and he is here in winter coat, and very heavy shaggy mane which I was uncertain how to create the crinkly texture as the hair is not at all straight.
What a change from the highly refined shapes of Verso:lol:
paint is a bit wet still, and included a detail shot, I'm trying to get the texture of the hair just by the brush stroke.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/103030-ayer_head_study_oil.jpg
detailhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/103030-ayer_head_study_detail.jpg

winecountry
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
#71 Ayer again, he has dark patches of hair in the bay coat, I'll add a bit more detail when dry and fix the tail on that back leg...

underpaint
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/103030-study_of_Ayer_oil_9x12wc.jpg
finish
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/103030-study_of_Ayer_oil_9x12wc.jpg

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Here's a photograph of my Arab gelding, Caper, that is almost exactly like your painting! Did you use a reference photo or was this just off the top of your head? I know I've never posted this picture here, so you couldn't have used it, and I am sitting here totally amazed at the similarities. :eek: I will be following your WIP just to see how it comes out. Oh, and you may use this picture for a reference if you'd like.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/157653-100_1283.jpg

I did use your horse as a reference! :) I found it in the reference library here- It is a beautiful horse and a great photo. I should of given you credit as the photographer! I always forget to write down who posted the photos in the RL.

I loved the light and shadows in that photo. The horse also looks alot like a horse I used to have. she was so photogenic. I posted the finished painting in the main forum but here it is again... I am waiting for the paint to dry before making a few minor adjustments. This painting will be in an exhibit in January with my art group and it has a story to go along with it if you want to e-mail me I will tell it to you. Thanhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/50520-IMG_1474.JPG ks for sharing! :)

winecountry
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Oops, I got the wrong one, here is the underpainting and the ref photo

TABCgal
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I did use your horse as a reference! :) I found it in the reference library here- It is a beautiful horse and a great photo. I should of given you credit as the photographer! I always forget to write down who posted the photos in the RL.

I loved the light and shadows in that photo. The horse also looks alot like a horse I used to have. she was so photogenic. I posted the finished painting in the main forum but here it is again... I am waiting for the paint to dry before making a few minor adjustments. This painting will be in an exhibit in January with my art group and it has a story to go along with it if you want to e-mail me I will tell it to you. Thanhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2008/50520-IMG_1474.JPG ks for sharing! :)

I must be getting old, because I don't remember posting that picture! :lol: I must say...you've captured him very well and I love what you've done with the background! An email is on it's way to you as we speak, and in it, I have shared a little of Caper's story.....I bought him at a "killer" auction 11 years ago, and he is still standing in my pasture today. He is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime horse and we have had many happy trails together. He will be 20 years old in March and still has the get up and go of a much younger horse with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Thanks again for painting my baby!
Jules

TABCgal
11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Just wanted to add a little background to the above picture of Caper. I had just gotten through giving him a few carrots as a treat, and when I showed him the empty bag, he got pissed off, tossed his head and walked away from me....:lol: :lol: I sometimes call him "Mr. Personality". :)

winecountry
11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
#76 Icelandic Horse mare...this little beauty had a Icelandic name that means fire...and she is the sweetest thing, who stood by me for the longest time, just loves attention..finally a canvas surface has some use, all that rough texture is great for her heavy winter coat. Due to that surface this is simplifed and loosely painted.

a few more Icelandics then on to the last phase, where I'm going to concentrate on groups and some landscape, my real weakness....also have some plans for a few white horses to play with color...I don't have any ref for these so will have to go find some, although now they are all winter coated, so may have to use photos, that are not mine. If you have some nice ones you want to share, would you mind posting here?

9x12 oil on canvas on panel

ColorsoftheRainbow
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Just wanted to add a little background to the above picture of Caper. I had just gotten through giving him a few carrots as a treat, and when I showed him the empty bag, he got pissed off, tossed his head and walked away from me....:lol: :lol: I sometimes call him "Mr. Personality". :)

LOL!!! That is too funny! My arabs are full of personality too- very opinionated and don't mind letting me know about it! :)

ArtsyLynda
11-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Cool! Unfortunately, I simply can't work fast enough to do 100 horses by January. It takes me 3 months to do one! (I'm a sculptor and simply can't draw or paint worth beans).

I hope it's okay to post this here - I've just posted info on an equine art show - you can see the prospectus here: http://www.thesculptedhorse.com/prospectus.html It's open to both amateur and professional artists in several divisions, and Best in Show wins $100! Check it out!

Here are some of the pieces I'm currently working on. The one with two horses rearing is called "Horseplay" and is of my Quarter Horse, Jack (the bigger one) and my husband's Appendix QH, Pepper, who are best buddies and old retired guys, but still play hard like this. The photo I used for this was a shot of a lifetime. The horse that's jumping is part of a commissioned piece - there's another horse involved too, and I need to include the jumps. They will be liberty horses, no riders. The one with wings was inspired by the second book in my fantasy novel series, the first book of which is titled "Star Sons - Dawn of the Two" (www.whimsyhill.com or Amazon.com). The second novel is nearly finished and will be published next spring. I've changed the armature for the wings (AGAIN! - 3rd or 4th incarnation, actually) and will have them welded on after the horse is cast in bronze. The piece just won't ship safely to the foundry with them attached.

Eep, I need to take new pictures! All of these are a lot farther along than this now! I'll post new pics soon!

KerryOriginals
11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi, Linda! I love seeing your progress shots! This challenge is whatever you set for yourself...doesn't have to be any set number of works, just decide what you want to acheive in your own work and post it here, then we all expect regular updates with lots of eyecandy! :)

KerryOriginals
11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Just a quick update on my own personal challenge, it is on hold temporarily while I get a couple other things done.

I have a sketchbook project with my ebay horse artist group WHOA that I am currently working on. We are sending one sketchbook to each member in turn, who has 5 pages to sketch, draw, or paint horses in, then we will donate the book to a chosen charity as a fundraiser (to auction off, and, sell printed copies of). We are hoping to have this done by the middle or end of Jan. The sketchbook has already been to England for two of our members and has zigzagged across America from the east coast to me in Texas. I believe we have 6 more members in line to get the book before it is finished. I'll post a sneak-peek of what I'm putting in as soon as I finish and scan my work. The work that is already in the book is truly awesome! Being at the end of the list has been a real treat because I get to see the work of everyone that went before me in person...and it is wonderful! check it out here:
http://whoasketchbook.blogspot.com/

My other project is an 8x10 portrait commission which I'll start after I finish my 5 sketches and get the sketchbook mailed off to the next WHOA member in line for it. Then, it's back to the project paintings! :wave:

winecountry
11-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Lynda How wonderful to have a sculptor here! welcome to the stables' and what exciting work, thanks for the progress shots. Could you share what material you use and why you like it. and anything else about the technical aspects, for instance you do the bones and muscles and build out or just start, it's obvious you know your stuff.
Kerry nice to hear from you was beginning to wonder it's getting quiet around here, but what a wonderful and inventive project thanks for sharing it

I have a couple more Icelandic Horses in progress, a job and holidays are slowing me down a bit, but I'm still on track almost to 80 now.

winecountry
11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
One of the Icelandic Horse mini-series. the same mare as before. I love these awkward poses,:D they are a challenge to make right yet something abstract attracts me. She was standing on a big steep hill,
I'm posting the painting , a detail , and last one where a bee landed, just right like she was after it, it's the real thing not faux:lol:

I'm getting closer to the style I like, more direct painting less glazing, the rough winter coats work really well for this. What I'd like is...looks tight at first and loose close up...I do love the paint itself as well as the subject, so this is a try to have it all.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2008/103030-Icelandic_Mare_on_the_Hill_wc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2008/103030-_Icelandic_Mare_detailwc.jpg

FaeLynn
11-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow Kerry, that is the absolute coolest project! If I had known about it, I would have signed up!! Very neat, I visited their web site.
Colleen, IMO this is your best yet as well, I love it!! I think that would make an awesome note card. Love the bee too, lol!
Keep em coming, I am enjoying this thread immensely.

KerryOriginals
11-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Colleen, I love this one! It is very appealing and charming without going 'cutsie'! :)

I finished my sketchbook entries and they are listed on the blog. :)

http://whoasketchbook.blogspot.com/

winecountry
11-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Kerry sketches are really interesting, and a nice mix.

Here is #80 and 81, Two Icelandic mares, they are called black, but as you can see from the ref the sun and the heavy coats bleach out red and gold.
this is the last of the Icelandics for now and a start of the next mini series which will be mutiple horses in one work, starting with two and working up. Have a chance to go see a herd soon so final works will be as many as I can handle. I really feel like I am getting somewhere now, but only time and more work will make that for sure.
Will glaze down the mane when dry, and probably rework the front legs a bit more on the right horse, they look a bit stiff, it's hard as the coat is very thick and most of the structure is not visible, but I think they need something, will see when the paint is dry.
Icelandic Mares study, 11x14 oil on panel ref attached

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2008/103030-Icelandic_mares_studywc_.jpg

ArtsyLynda
11-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Lynda How wonderful to have a sculptor here! welcome to the stables' and what exciting work, thanks for the progress shots. Could you share what material you use and why you like it. and anything else about the technical aspects, for instance you do the bones and muscles and build out or just start, it's obvious you know your stuff.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I use an oil-based clay called plastilene - this particular brand is Classic Clay. Plastilene doesn't harden or dry out for literally YEARS, so it's easy for me to set a piece aside (as I've done with "Horseplay" and "Feather") when I have a commission (the jumper piece, which is one of two horses, actually, and the other one's finished! Told you I needed to take more pictures! :lol: ) Water-based clay is fussy, can blow up and be destroyed in a kiln, and you have a limited amount of time to work on it. It also dries out your hands. Plastilene never dries out my hands (it's oil-based, after all) and I don't have to cover or wrap a work in progress unless I want to keep dust off of it. I carry these works with me when I have a booth at shows (I do trade fairs, not art shows - I find I sell more at equine trade fairs than at art shows) so I can work while I man my booth. I do Equine Affaire in Columbus Ohio every April, and did the Equine Affaire in Massachusetts every November until this year, when fuel costs made me give up my booth. (We drive a Ford F-450 diesel dually pulling my 24 foot gooseneck art trailer which doubles as a walk-through gallery at horse shows).

I'm rambling, sorry. What else did you ask? (checking the quote). Ah, got it.

I don't do bones - no need. The armature wire stands in for the bones in the legs and tail. The piece starts as plumbing pipe and wire, then I start bulking it up and when I get near the size I want, I start laying the clay on in rough muscles. Then I carve down to the horse I want it to be.

Rats, I have pictures of armatures and just-started pieces on my other computer. I'll have to add to this post later today. In the meantime, here's the other horse from the jumper pair - he'd finished except for a little detailing on the inside of his front legs and adding the jump.

I have a couple more Icelandic Horses in progress, a job and holidays are slowing me down a bit, but I'm still on track almost to 80 now.

Almost 80! Wow. I have a friend (Elin Pendleton, http://www.elinart.com) who paints amazingly fast - you must paint that way. I've seen her do a small painting start to finish in just a few minutes (the joy of acrylics, right?). I've attempted painting and am not horrible at it, but am not patient enough to keep at it, unfortunately. I love color, but I want to get my hands in things and I "see" things in 3-D - getting them to look right when they're 2-D is possible for me, but difficult, and as busy as I am, I just don't take the time I should to improve my painting skills.

KerryOriginals
11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I've attempted painting and am not horrible at it, but am not patient enough to keep at it, unfortunately. I love color, but I want to get my hands in things and I "see" things in 3-D - getting them to look right when they're 2-D is possible for me, but difficult, and as busy as I am, I just don't take the time I should to improve my painting skills.11-30-2008 02:27 AM
Lynda, when you are as accomplished at one disipline as you are with your sculptures, there is no need to apologise for lack in other areas! :clap: :clap: :lol:

I look forward to seeing the pics of the armatures and prelime build ups! :wave:

winecountry
11-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Lynda, I've been to her site before, she is so fantastic, really knows her stuff. I've got her cards on my wish list, she has really systematized the light and time of day thing...she must be a great teacher.

Unfortunately, I'm not up to that level yet. Although the first 30 I set a time limit of 3 hours, the rest have taken 1-3 days to do. I did this challenge to learn how to paint horses well, so I'm just a beginner in equine things. Each one is still pretty much of a struggle, but it is getting a little easier.

Thanks for sharing your work, look forward to the wip that shows some more steps...I think I could easily paint from one of your horses, it's so accurate!

ArtsyLynda
11-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Okay, now I'm on my desktop computer where the other pictures are. (This is a new computer and not on our network yet or I could've nabbed those pics from the laptop. Oh well!)

Okay these pics got uploaded all out of order, sorry! The first is if the finished horse and carriage piece, "Friesian Elegance." The last picture shows the armature for the carriage - just to show that everything needs an armature in scupting. The other pics show bare armatures for the two jumpers and then the jumper in progress.

The carriage piece was commissioned to be the world championship trophy for the Friesian Concours D'Elegance. It now resides at the Friesian association (FHANA) headquarters at the KY Horse Park and will be awarded for the next 49 years (each year's winner will have their name engraved on a brass plate on the trophy base). The carriage is a reproduction (built by the driver) of a 17th century traditional Dutch sjees (pronounced "chaise"). I had some suggestions from another sculptor on how to make a carriage, but I wound up going a completely different direction than her suggestions. It was a trial and error thing, but it all worked out in the end and that's what matters!

ArtsyLynda
11-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Lynda, when you are as accomplished at one disipline as you are with your sculptures, there is no need to apologise for lack in other areas! :clap: :clap: :lol:

I look forward to seeing the pics of the armatures and prelime build ups! :wave:

Aww, that's so sweet! Thanks!

If you want to see more "step by step" pictures, you can find them on my site, http://www.TheSculptedHorse.com/sculpture101.html.

ArtsyLynda
11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Lynda, I've been to her site before, she is so fantastic, really knows her stuff. I've got her cards on my wish list, she has really systematized the light and time of day thing...she must be a great teacher.

Unfortunately, I'm not up to that level yet. Although the first 30 I set a time limit of 3 hours, the rest have taken 1-3 days to do. I did this challenge to learn how to paint horses well, so I'm just a beginner in equine things. Each one is still pretty much of a struggle, but it is getting a little easier.

Thanks for sharing your work, look forward to the wip that shows some more steps...I think I could easily paint from one of your horses, it's so accurate!

Elin really is a great teacher and a lot of fun. I took her painting workshop just to figure out what I was doing. Her Color System is remarkable - even I couldn't make mud with it and I'm a PRO at making mud! :lol: I'll probably order her Color System cards too - whenever I DO paint, I follow her color system. She also has instructional DVDs, which is how I got started painting - she swapped me a DVD set on acrylics for my book on sculpting, "Sculpting 101: A Primer for the Self-taught Artist," the second edition of which has just been published. Elin's a consummate professional and loves teaching - if you have a chance to take one of her classes, grab it! In the meantime, you can learn a lot from her daily paintings Google mail list. There should be sign-up info for that on her site (and it's free): www.elinart.com

Thanks for your kind words about the accuracy of my sculptures! I try to capture the horse I'm portraying (even the imaginary ones) and to capture their personalities as well, but structure is the most important thing - if the horse doesn't look as if he can trot right off his stand, I don't feel it's a good piece. Fortunately, most of my pieces meet that criteria in my mind, so I'm happy with the majority of them. (Well, the busts can't look like they'll trot off their stands . . . you get the idea, I think! LOL!)

KerryOriginals
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
This is the commission piece I'm working on. I am doing a seperate WIP thread on it here;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7377902#post7377902

:heart:

hsoliver
12-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Just a pic of my son and his horse

winecountry
12-04-2008, 02:34 AM
love the photo, if I ever get to doing horse and rider, I'd love to use it.

It sort of looks like the holidays have done in most of the group here, I see Kelly is still going. But I am committed no matter what to completing this, esp since I want to be ready for the breed challenge...so onward:lol:

These are two of a group of rather poorly kept arabs near me. I don't look at them much, because I makes me sad to see their condition. I didn't finish this completely but did solve all the major problems it presented enough to say I learned what I needed to know. If I ever have to do a paint horse, I'm charging more, they do make things more complicated to keep form straight and then the added difficulty of the light on the dark and then the dark on the light.
#82 and 83 Two arabs, oil on panel 11x14
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2008/103030-Two_Arabs_wc.jpg

FaeLynn
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Well done, Colleen!
I look at this thread every time there's something new going on in it, Your paint horse is superbly done, love those colors! Now THAT looks like a challenge!! His neck/shoulder area where the colors change is really nice.

KerryOriginals
12-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Beautiful Colleen! Pintos are so challenging, but, so much fun to paint, too!

ColorsoftheRainbow
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a commission of a pair of drafts so I will join in again soon. I had to stop my 'daily' paintings to do some other commissions but the work I did here with the small 'dailys' was very helpful when i needed to go for more detail. I just say that to encourage those who might be reading that this exercise is helpful on many different levels.

winecountry
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
good to hear you have commissions Sue, thanks for the note, Thanks Kerry, can't say I'm satisfied with it, but there will be more in the future to work things out, so it was a good first try.

An now (drumroll) a terrific find! I saw this mentioned on the Equine Resource thread, and ordered it from Amazon for $14.http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Guide-Animal-Anatomy/dp/0486436403/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228503430&sr=1-1

This is THE book, IMO, for the equine artist who knows the basic anatomy, can draw the basic bones from memory, and is ready to go to the next step, freely drawing and being able to draw or paint in a way that lets one step away from exact copy of a photo. There are several animals in the book, cow, dog, lion, primate, man, but I will focus on the horse here.

Following his first exercise was an eye opener. If you have this book you are on your way to real freedom and space for the imagination to come into your work. What is different is he really shows how structure evolves from what the animal does, covers locomotion, center of gravity and a lot of other points, but does not have a certain formula or template, he teaches you to think things through, so that lets the artist imagine beyond the photo ref,

Here is the exercise I did, the main point here is NOT to sketch but let red chalk(I used conte)make the whole form by how you use it mostly on edge or side not point.
Here is how he puts it
The Eloquence of Red Chalk
Red chalk or sanguine has simular qualities to graphite. It can be appled on its side or as an edge, delicately touched on or weilded powerfully and decisively. Used with the right paper it can produce very wispy, fluffy effects. .....shapes are produced in these different ways without any preliminary sketching The purpose of the execise is to use a broad medium to convey porportions quickly on paper in concise simple forms....A and B--Conveying the mass of the trunk with a piece of red chalk applied full length on it's side and adding the rear limbs in the same way
C, D The shapes making up the hind and forelegs produced by simply swiveling the chalk E, the complete animal form–the way in which the material was handled to give virtually geometric shapes is still discernible in th overlapping areas.

here is his examplehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2008/103030-bammes_exercise_red_chalk.jpg

You can see I did not follow the geometric thing, this is just my first go, I will repeat it again and try harder:lol: What was the Eureka moment is each of my sketches is from memory or imagination, and took less than 15 seconds What this equates to is I now have a perfect way to sketch from life in action with some kind of accuracy. It also makes one "construct" the horse instead of thinking in terms of an outline, the masses are sculpted which is an entirely different process inside the head.

There is way more than this simple exercise inside the book, and a lot of it makes my brain feel like soggy pasta, but I will take my time and read reread and try all the exercises, eventually the deep understanding he's trying to convey will arise. Remember this is not a pattern or formula approach, it is to give you the essence of the form, why it is as it is from within. It was originally published in German in 1989, so maybe this accounts for some of the difficulty in understanding it. There are many words in German that have no English equivalent.

The method of graphic study set out in this book promotes the development of man and varied capabilities and skills: observation, visual memory, powers of visualizing capacity, combinational ablility, imaginative power and sensitivity....the idea that life studies are an end in themselves would discourage creativity......However even a life study from nature should not be thought of as a straightforward reproduction of nature;it should make a convincing satement about the subject and it predominant characteristics.

atelier_m
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
This is THE book, IMO, for the equine artist who knows the basic anatomy, can draw the basic bones from memory, and is ready to go to the next step, freely drawing and being able to draw or paint in a way that lets one step away from exact copy of a photo.

I am so glad the book is what you were looking for! I mentioned it on this thread, so maybe it should be added to the Resource thread.

That was my reaction, too. It allows you to see how the horse "works" ... which will free you to work without a model and to understand a pose that is confusing. The author approaches the subject in many different ways that take you beyond the standard, static anatomy plates.

I agree the author is not very facile in English and has a scientific bent. Digest it slowly. I keep going back and finding something new. For me, the text has become less important than the illustrations. Or maybe I mean that I work with the illustrations first and then use them to understand the text.

Don't you love the "eye" page at the end of the book with all of the planes of the eye's structure? :) The oddest things will make an artist happy. :lol:

Mary :thumbsup:

Foxyheart2002
12-05-2008, 09:56 PM
hsoliver, is that a paso your son is on? Gorgeous horse (and son too!)

winecountry
12-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Mary it was you....thanks SO much, it's just exactly what I needed at this point, I'll post it on the Equine Resource thread...I'm remembering an old saying when the student is ready the teacher will appear....I don't think I could have made as much use of it earlier...

moodymand
12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
argh... this may be what I need to restart things!!

I haven't been on WC for ages, I come here and find this. Really love all this stuff... I've been meaning to get some speedwork going again. I was doing great up until a month or 2 ago, life stuff has brought art to a standstill recently...

I think I've been inspired to use my day off tomorrow productively ;) thanks very much all! (Winecountry I love the various Verso's)

my main goal is to constantly improve my knowledge of equine anatomy. I rely far too much on reference sometimes. Even though with horses, reference is a necessity most often.
Also I found my art had become stale within the last year or so. So I had started working at speed in media that I would normally shy away from (charcoal, acrylics). I think I will try to continue with that.

A question: Can we post digital artwork here too? I try to use the real thing when I can but I find when I'm pushed for time it is easier for me to open up Corel Painter and use digital gouache or something. Lol.

moodymand
12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
also since I think I might snatch a couple of photos from this thread to ref from, here are a few of my own in return, feel free to use ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2008/120645-IMG_4638_copy.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2008/120645-IMG_4648_copy.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2008/120645-IMG_4649_copy.jpg

(hope these aren't too large or slow to load!!)

winecountry
12-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Hello Amanda, thanks for the photos, what breed and kind of horse is this? Looking forward to seeing your work here. This is the only guideline for this thread, it's designed so you set your own agenda within the guideline

the end of the time frame is Jan 15 2009. Other than that you decide what will help you most, and what you want to achieve. Your goals are stated clearly, so you look good to go.

I committed to doing 100 horses and am currently on 97, so I will finish early.
There will be a breed challenge starting in Jan, one breed each week, so I wanted to be ready for that and not have 2 going at once.

KerryOriginals
12-08-2008, 02:37 AM
I went back into this one today to do some final, final (really!) touches. Since I changed the position of the head, I felt the little peak in the background was causing a conflict by being right on the horses nose, so, I removed it. I also reworked the mares face especially the shape of the head and muzzle. I think it looks a lot more like my photo subject now. Over all, I am quite pleased with this painting, however, it still has its problems. I think the pose is still un-natural looking, but, any further attempts are unlikely to be successful. I'd really have to redo the whole horse, so, it is done. Any issues I have with it, I will just chalk up to a lesson learned and try not to make the same errors in my next work. I'm only showing the head area in this photo as I could not get a decent full image due to wet shiney paint. The rest is the same as the last photos anyhow. :wave:

winecountry
12-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Thanks Kerry for posting this, I love seeing the close up...It's a beautiful work, you are probably too close to it to see it right now. :thumbsup:

This is #97 (can't believe it:eek: ) I'm still working on #96. I started this cause I loved the photo so much, I hardly ever use someone else's photo
I started this as an underpainting, but liked it's simplicity, so I'm leaving it, except to fix the front foot and a bit of the shadow when dry. So sorry cannot get the very particular unusual shade of purple blue of the original...don't even think I could mix it again...Doak Tran Blue Oxide, aliz crimson, tit white, Ivory white, touch of Bt Umber.
Think I'll call it "Moonlight Stroll" 9x12 oil on panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2008/103030-100_horses_97wc.jpg

KerryOriginals
12-08-2008, 04:23 AM
I like the simplicity too! It seems very desolate and cold to me, however! LOL! I think if you put a smudge of white vapor under the nose, it would read 'icy'! ;)

Pippa
12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, I'm very late to this thread, but I've been watching it for the past few weeks and today I have something to contribute!

I used to paint only horses (being a horse cazy teenager), but since growing up I have only painted a few. Here's one I did yesterday, of my horse and I during a lesson. Cross posted in watercolour gallery, it's 8 x 10 on arches block. Limited pallete of sepia, french ultramarine blue, black, raw umber, and quindacrinone gold.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2008/88887-Prussia4.JPG

winecountry
12-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Pippa, nice work, welcome to the ride, it's never too late!
Kerry, I like that idea and added it on, thanks

equineartist21
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
This is a great thread.. lots of wonderful pieces here. Here are a couple I did in a few hours each. I am trying to whip out a few pieces a week so that I can sell some on ebay.

winecountry
12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
welcome equineartist21 I really love that second one, a Gyspy Vanner right?

Kerry I think I know you a little now, and tho the painting is fine and I just love the eye now...I did some tweaking. Here is my take on that muzzle

I've run into this myself, making a profile of a head that is really just a bit of 3/4 view. A photo makes this happen even more so you sort of have to really look and fill in. So on the revised, I added arrows, if the eye is in that view the nostril on that side has the same relationship, and the lip instead of going straight down, will show just a tad of the turn in and around in dimension. Sorry this is hard to explain, hopefully you can see what I mean. I also got rid of the hard line down the far cheek to the nose, as it's not profile it would be rounding a bit there and the line would not be hard as you have it. Remember earlier when we talked of lines, a hard line flattens form, you are a realist in this painting so you need, hard edges, soft edges and lost edges to create forms in space.

Think of the head bones under the skin...to look the way it does, that bone would be going almost to the end, and I know you know it stops short at a point and all the muzzle is soft tissue, softening edges, and most of all creating the space between the nostrils to catch that slight 3/4 view, which I did with grey, will fix most of what I think you don't feel quite right about

I also gave more chin, lengthened the mouth line a bit, toned the light and shade there too. I couldn't find the ref, so didnt work to get a likeness, you can appy all I said even if you have to adjust for likeness a bit.

These are just my observations, and you can certainly leave it as is with no problem, I just did this for my own learning.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2008/103030-attachment.php.jpg

equineartist21
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes it is a young Gypsy Vanner stallion a trainer friend of mine had at their barn.

KerryOriginals
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Colleen, I appreciate the critique as it really does helps to have someone who can get down to the nitty gritty like this! As you can see from my two ref pics, I changed the angles and pose to suit my painting, so, these are not the same positions or same lighting. Gotta make it hard for myself, lol! I see what you are saying and agree! Problem is now I see that the neck and chest are wrong. :evil: I think I will leave this alone for now, though. I think I have beat this dead horse enough and will just go on to the next. :rolleyes:

TABCgal
12-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks Kerry for posting this, I love seeing the close up...It's a beautiful work, you are probably too close to it to see it right now. :thumbsup:

This is #97 (can't believe it:eek: ) I'm still working on #96. I started this cause I loved the photo so much, I hardly ever use someone else's photo
I started this as an underpainting, but liked it's simplicity, so I'm leaving it, except to fix the front foot and a bit of the shadow when dry. So sorry cannot get the very particular unusual shade of purple blue of the original...don't even think I could mix it again...Doak Tran Blue Oxide, aliz crimson, tit white, Ivory white, touch of Bt Umber.
Think I'll call it "Moonlight Stroll" 9x12 oil on panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2008/103030-100_horses_97wc.jpg

Wow! I am flattered that you and colorsoftherainbow have both chosen to use my photo of my beloved horse, Caper for your paintings! You've both captured him very well! I love the simplicity of this painting and the colors are awesome!
Thanks again!

winecountry
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Sorry about the mistaken name should have been Caper, but my subconscious reached back to my favorite comic as a kid Caspar the Friendly Ghost, who most of you probably don't remember:lol:

Kerry totally understand, and agree a new start is better...did want to share one thing I got from the critique I did, ie the mouth. I went outside to check out my little buddies in the pasture, then looked at your ref and have a little gem I can check now in my own work, I've not noticed this relationship before.

the top of the nostril and the top of the mouth are aligned. This of course would change with a bit, or open mouth, but it's something I can check out when I'm working that I was unaware of. The line of the mouth turns out to have a big influence on expression as I've been painting.

moodymand
12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
winecountry, the photos were taken at a point-to-point meet... these were hunters, probably TBxID or similar! I have many more, I might add them to the reference library when I have a moment.

I considered 100 horses before Jan, with the deadline being the 15th that might be possible... I have 6 so far, taking me longer than I thought, I am in a real rut at the moment, finding it hard to get going with anything.

Oh there is a breed challenge, awesome! I must do that too :D

love all the recent additions. Kerry your panting turned out lovely, I really like the warm golden palette, I'd never have the patience for all those revisions!

winecountry
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Well counting your 6 I figured out that would be about 2.7 pieces per day every day.:thumbsup: it's doable esp if you don't get involved compositions , and a lot of detail.

#96 8x10 oil on panel. My first try with a dressed horse ie rider and tack. I can see I need to do some tack studies at one point.
I used the lovely photo of the son and his horse posted earlier as I really liked the communication there with the turn of the head of the horse reflecting the turn of his rider. A rider, saddle and bridle complicates an already complicated subject:p

I made a sort of mess of it, it's so small there's little room to paint, and the front legs are hard to tell apart but I loved how straight they were so tried it anyway...at least I got the rider sitting pretty well, so it's ok for a first go. Otherwise have to say there's a lot wrong, but trying to fix it when things are so small is not on my agenda for now. Also I drew this on with a oil pencil, a purple magenta that is bleeding through all the paint ( you can see the sort of glowy pink around the edges) so don't think it's worth the fuss. Next time bigger so I'm not working with brushes with 3 hairs in them:lol:

For the nice lady that posted the photo thanks, I've been back through the thread for 7 pages and cant find the post, and sorry I made such a beautiful horse sort of off, esp the head:o
next I'm going to try a copy of Stubbs famous painting Whistlejacket, then maybe try something romantic from Varva, and a surprise for the last one

moodymand
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
if you hadn't mentioned the 'glowy pink' I'd have thought it was intentional, I think it looks good like that! Adds a bit of pop. I can't do quick stuff like this in oils.

here's my first 6, done yesterday. First time I have done any art in ages, as I said I'm in a rut and I'm not really happy with what I'm turning out, I've lost my mojo a bit! lol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/120645-wcblog001.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/120645-wcblog002.jpg
started with sketches just to try and get myself going. I don't know what's going on with the legs in that 2nd one, it was a small ref photo and the legs all merged into each other lol. I tried to work it out from a side-on view next to it, I count that as 1 horse rather than 2 though ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/120645-wcblog003_+_4.jpg
Oils and acrylic, the top one is the only thing I'm happy with so far! I envy those who can convey believable motion and form with a few fast brushstrokes, I'm not so able to do that but I think I got it with that one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/120645-wcblog005.jpg
acrylic, I'm trying to improve my speedwork and not get so hung up on detail.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/120645-wcblog006.jpg
last one! Charcoal, and it's A2 which is much larger than I'm used to drawing. I'm not overly happy with it, but I'm trying to shift my perspective on things... lots of pratices and studies, as opposed to big detailed pieces that I get a kick out of when they're done. These are not as satisfying but I have to try and remember they're helping me ;)

sorry for the massive post!

winecountry
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Amanda, I'd be over the moon if I'd done these!
its obvious you are quite at home with this animal, and at home with different media too. Thanks so much for posting, and you count as you wish, but to me 100 horses is just that, not 100 pieces of work. I too love that black one. Ride on girl( sorry for the pun:lol: )

hsoliver
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
No she is a Missouri Foxtrotter.

winecountry
12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
On the way to the full Whistlejacket by Stubbs, I'm doing studies, good thing, as it took lots of tries to get the color. I don't have a good ref just a los res pic from the internet, so I can't see the detail well and I'm going to use the color I can see. He was a famous stallion of deep chestnut, which I read as a deep palomino color...Finally got the color with Mars Yellow, Cad. Brown and Ivory White. This will take some underpainting and some glazing to pull off so probably won't post the final one here, but on the main list when I get it done.
The studies really helped me figure out some things, he sure painted big eyes.

If anyone knows of a better pic please let me know this is what I have
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2008/103030-stubbs_whistlejacket_wc.jpg

#98 11x14 oil on panel Studies for Whistlejacket after Stubbs

FaeLynn
12-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Oh BOY! This is lovely, even the study! I can't wait to see what you do with it, Colleen! WooHOO!

moodymand
12-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Maybe I should include that extra one then, I'll see how fed up I am by the time I get to 99 lol!
looking forward to seeing the Whistlejacket. he does have huge buggy eyes!

here's numbers 7-10, in sanguine oil pencil (which I think is really just a glorified colour pencil)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2008/120645-7-10_sanguineoil.JPG
I feel better already so this is working!
There are some anatomy issues but I'm happy anyway, since I was just drawing straight onto the paper with a non-eraseable tool, which not so long ago would have seemed very daunting to me! Drawing larger definitely helps (this is A2 size)
I just need to work out which lines to emphasise.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2008/120645-11marinkadutchdraft1.jpg
Number 11, which is a sketch for a digital commission of a Dutch draft foal. Seeing as it's a horse, and I drew it, I figured it would number in this challenge :)

LunaMoth
12-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey everybody :wave:... I can't believe I missed this thread... Just went through page by page and have to say that the work here is impressive!

Hope you all don't mind me joining the party a little late... Here are two I just recently finished up :) Both are 8x10 watercolor on 140lb cold press Strathmore paper.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/BittersweetWC.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/OrinocoWC.jpg

winecountry
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm going to do this as a WIP as it will be complex, and not a directly painted work. I'm going to try something I saw a portrait artist do, that is a very detailed underpainting in grisalle( a painting in values only) then a layer of white over that, and finally color glazed in. The white allows for more glow in the color.

Step 1 I painted a graded base color from dark at the top to about 3 steps lighter at the bottom, it's a bit yellow so I will try to tone that down with glazes, I let it dry completely

Step 2
I drew with pencil the outline and began a detailed value painting using Doak Cad Brown, Transparent Sepia and Ivory White(Holbein). Having the background completely dry was helpful when I had to change the drawing as I could easily wipe off what I did, and repaint. When this sets up a bit, I will refine the lights and darks further, blending and adding more value steps.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2008/103030-whistlejacket_wipp_1wc.jpg

Now I will let this dry, and then paint the white layer.
In the meantime I'm starting #100 (FANFAIR:clap: )

Here is Whistlejacket's story, (can you believe a 4 mile+ race, our TB today go less than 2.)BTW a whistlejacket was some kind of drink a the pub. The postcard of this painting is the best selling postcard at the Natl. Gallery

Whistlejacket was painted about 1762 and is life size, imagine coming around the corner of your villa drawing room and seeing this! Stubbs, was very daring and as far as I know the first to completely leave the background plain.

STUBBS, George
1724 - 1806

NG6569. Bought with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, 1997(wow what a great use for a lottery!)

Whistlejacket was foaled in 1749, and his most famous victory was in a race over four miles for 2000 guineas at York in August 1759. Stubbs's huge picture was painted in about 1762 for the 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, Whistlejacket's owner and a great patron of Stubbs. According to some writers of the period the original intention was to commission an equestrian portrait of George III, but it is more likely that Stubbs always intended to show the horse alone rearing up against a neutral background.

winecountry
12-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome LunaMoth lovey watercolors....
Amada, what exciting work...really loving your posts...