PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring Art Movies??

Roo
07-29-2002, 08:31 PM
I was watching HBO the other night and saw a movie about the life of Degas. I can't remember the name of the movie, but it got me wondering. Does anyone here know of any good art movies? Pollack is the only I can think of. Maybe when I get "painters block", I can just pick up some inspiring art movie to get me motivated and back on track again. Just wondering. Roo

big john gronning
07-30-2002, 04:01 PM
I love art movies, I'll give you my top 5: Surviving Picaso, Changing Habits, Basquiate, Bound by Honor, and She's all That. There are alot more that I like but I can not remember there names. There is one in particular with Jeff Goldbloom, where he is an art theif and makes a copy of a painting then steals the real one, but I have not been able to find out what it is called. I know that it is an old one. Any help on this tittle would be nice it is driving me insaine.:D

ArtWench
08-04-2002, 02:37 PM
My favorite art movie isn't about a real artist; but, is a fictional love story: Still Breathing . It is about an artist who has basically lost her way and has turned into a con artist to survive life in L.A. She's disillussioned and unhappy, feeling like she no longer deserves to be loved for herself. At the same time, in TX, there is a man who is the exact opposite... creative for the joy of the art, musical, and eccentric.... Oh and he has had a vision about this girl in LA. Believing in the magic of his vision, he tracks her down..... It is an awesome movie! And of course, the quote in my sig comes from the male character in the movie....

campsart
08-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by big john gronning
I love art movies, I'll give you my top 5: Surviving Picaso, Changing Habits, Basquiate, Bound by Honor, and She's all That. There are alot more that I like but I can not remember there names. There is one in particular with Jeff Goldbloom, where he is an art theif and makes a copy of a painting then steals the real one, but I have not been able to find out what it is called. I know that it is an old one. Any help on this tittle would be nice it is driving me insaine.:D

I may be wrong but the movie you are talking about is called " In Cognito". I believe he was a forgerer (sp) of other works of art. He created a supposed lost Rembrandt. He took it back from some crooked dealers who were looking to rip him off. He was on the run because the dealers said that he stole the piece and was falsely accused of murdering someone in the process.

Great movie...

nancymae
08-09-2002, 01:25 PM
I love the two classics by Irving Stone....Lust for Life...Kirk Douglas as Vincent Van Gogh....and The Agony and the Esctasy with Charleton Heston. Great if your like the oldies.

Also Pollock was a great movie.

If you are into documentaries....there was a great one on "The Impressionists" done by A & E. I bought the tapes from the website....it is like 4 or 5 tapes...and is awesome!!!

Nancy

Amal
08-13-2002, 01:24 AM
I really enjoyed the movie "Artemisia" based on the life of Artemisia Gentileschi, It has however, been critisized for its historical inaccuracies..But still an enthralling and beautiful movie! I also enjoyed Pollock! I think there is also a question within your question.. Besides movies based on Artists or that have an overriding theme of Art throughout, How about movies that have inspired you artistically? in that case a few come to mind, What Dreams May Come, An Angel at my Table, Lord of the Rings, Stealing Beauty, Jude, Heavenly Creatures.. Ohmegosh I could go on :) I've seen some movies that were so visually inspiring that i've been impatient for them to end so that I could go start a painting!

BTW Roo, Was the Degas movie you saw part of the HBO series on various artists lives?

Amal
08-13-2002, 02:32 AM
I've returned! :cool:

I'm also impatiently awating the release of "Frida" based on the life of Frida Khalo! ahhh! just 3 more months! It should be very interesting!! :D

Alyson Stanfield
08-29-2002, 03:53 PM
How about "Wolf at the Door" (Donald Sutherland as Gauguin)? Camille Claudel (about sculptress Camille Claudel--great shots of Rodin's studio!)
"Impromptu" (Judy Davis as George Sand, Hugh Grant as Chopin, someone else as Liszt) great country scene with Delacroix painting amidst the writers and composers. I love the way it shows interaction between the creative disciplines.
"Agony & the Ecstasy" (Michelangelo)
"Vincent" (van Gogh--haven't seen it)
"Maze" (Rob Morrow as a contemporary painter with turets sp? syndrome)
"The Moderns" (David or Keith ?? Carradine. Saw it in the 1980s, but great scenes of Gertrude Stein just as she is in Picasso's portrait of her. I think Carradine is a forgerer, but I can't remember. GREAT soundtrack!)

There are tons of great videos (30-60 minutes) about artists' lives. You can usually find them in libraries or places with educational resources. I used to use them to teach my docents in the art museum. They good ones are very, very well done and use the artists' words, original work, and place it in context.

I say visit a museum alone if you are stuck!

Alyson

kck
09-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Dittos on LUST FOR LIFE, and THE MODERNS (Keith Carradine). No one mentioned the middle vignette in NEW YORK STORIES -- which is just plain cool !

phuzman
09-06-2002, 08:43 PM
I just saw "Vincent and Theo" on the Sundance Channel. It's about the relationship between the Van Gogh brothers. Tim Roth is a very convincing Vincent. The self-portrait scenes are eerie.

MikeN
09-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Although its a different medium, AMADEUS is my all time favorite art movie.

There are soo many wonderful ideas in the movie. Such divine music and such an obnoxious laugh. LOL

MIke

dots
09-14-2002, 03:25 AM
there is a new movie about bacon that is really depressing,ive tryed to watch it a few times because i love the guys work.unfortunately they deal with his boozing and sex trip in a heavy handed way.they show it on starz late at night.there are alot of old movies{20s+30s} that are great most of them arent about artists but the comosition in shots is amazing Flesh and the Devil 1927.dali did a really wacky film,the old stand by The Cabinet of Dr. caligari surreal there are hundreds of them that are really art.what i do is go to a hip movie rental place not a shlockbuster .they have cult sections and sometimes the people working in the ma and pa places will turn you on to super duper stuff. check out Metropolis Rembrant with charles laughton etc....dots. oh yeah a danish movie 1943 called Day of Wrath.. lots of the shots are set up like old old dutch paintings ......this stuff is ral inspirering....most of them are black and white,if you wanna see a great movie check out Black Orpheous [spelling?] dots again dont forget pop corn.

zeegallerie
10-01-2002, 12:42 AM
In Cognito and still breathing are two of my favorites, also The Thomas Crown Affair is good

ArtWench
10-01-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by zeegallerie
In Cognito and still breathing are two of my favorites

:D

ArtistEnigma
10-06-2002, 06:28 PM
I watched Pollock in the theater and bought it once it came out on DVD. Although, I really don't like Pollock's work, I liked the movie.

The movie that I really want to see again is one that I seen a couple of years ago. I wish I knew what it was called, maybe you guys can help. This movie was about this very talented artist who would counterfeit old masters works and try and sell them as the original. He then was arrested for stealing one of the old masters works when really he wanted his own counterfeit back. It was such a good counterfeit that the court wouldn't believe that it was his own work and eventually ordered him to do a painting live for the court and jury to prove that he was actually this good. It was a very good movie.

If any of you know the title of this movie I would love to know so I can try and buy it.

zeegallerie
10-06-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ArtistEnigma
I watched Pollock in the theater and bought it once it came out on DVD. Although, I really don't like Pollock's work, I liked the movie.

The movie that I really want to see again is one that I seen a couple of years ago. I wish I knew what it was called, maybe you guys can help. This movie was about this very talented artist who would counterfeit old masters works and try and sell them as the original. He then was arrested for stealing one of the old masters works when really he wanted his own counterfeit back. It was such a good counterfeit that the court wouldn't believe that it was his own work and eventually ordered him to do a painting live for the court and jury to prove that he was actually this good. It was a very good movie.

If any of you know the title of this movie I would love to know so I can try and buy it.

zeegallerie
10-06-2002, 07:37 PM
In Cognito It's also one of my favorites

ArtistEnigma
10-06-2002, 08:35 PM
In Cognito It's also one of my favorites

Incognito (http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?VIEW=MNU&ean=85391453826). That's the movie. I've been wanting to know the name of that movie for some time. Thanks! Now I must buy it.

zeegallerie
10-06-2002, 08:56 PM
I already own it. you might want to try Still Breathing it's a good movie

DanaT
10-07-2002, 08:21 PM
I saw the Agony and the Ecstasy…it was OK, but not nearly as good as the book. I guess I don't see Charlton Heston as the tormented artist.

The most beautiful artist's movie I've seen is Caravaggio. There are breathtaking shots of his canvases and his studio set up looks like that REM video 'Losing My Religion' (in fact I think the video director got the idea from the movie). It's a pretty disturbing movie though; Caravaggio was a pretty disturbing character-but the movie was visually stunning.

As far as non artistic arty movies go, my favorites hands down have to be Nigel Boorman's Excalibur and Chariots of Fire. Excalibur had beautiful sets but Chariots of Fire had camera angles to die for - the shot of the racetrack at the start of an Olympic race from the eye view of the athlete is one of the most enduring images on film. The scene in the 1920s restaurant where Abraham first dates the opera singer is also a classic.

Keith Russell
10-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Film as Art:

Blade Runner

The Last Emperor

Stand By Me

Dead Poet's Society

Gladiator

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dead Ringers

Memento

L A Confidential

The Usual Suspects

The Godfather Trilogy

The Last Temptation of Christ

Brazil

(just to name a few)

Rose Queen
10-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey, Keith, who let you out of the Debates forum? :D

I'd add Princess Mononoke to your list, along with Onegin and The Man Who Wasn't There.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

ArtMarkie
10-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

I have made it a point to see as many art-related movies
as possible. That is the only way that art will be kept
before the public that has not been to galleries (they think
about 'lamps 'n pitchurs' some places).

I like "Suspicion" with the Dali scenes, "Goya", "Pollock",
"Lust for Life", "Moulin Rouge" (the first one), "Degas".

debi-d
10-11-2002, 09:21 PM
hands down my favorite for the art work. I also watched pollack, I thought that Ed Harris did a wonderful job of playing the egocentic alchoholic artist.
Disney the Kid the older Kid has a nice piece of art on the wall of his apartment.
I love the la law reruns I look art used in the offices for inspiration

zeegallerie
10-11-2002, 09:45 PM
great movies, isn't it wonderful that we notice the art in buildings magazines and movies. can't get enough of it

ArtistEnigma
10-13-2002, 05:23 PM
I just ordered Incognito. I can't wait to watch it, I've been wanting to see it again for some time now.

N2ART
10-13-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by big john gronning

The film starring Jeff Goldblum as an art forger was

Framed 1990

writes4me
10-14-2002, 02:03 AM
I often put in a video that I enjoy and which fits the mood of whatever piece I'm working on. I have a small list of favs that include (my odd tastes):
Jaws
Scense and Scensibility
Waking Ned Devine
Saving Grace
Rear Window
Harry Potter
Throw Momma from the Train
and My Cousin Vinny

Throw Momma from the train, is about the most artistically grounded of the above list as it deals with a writer who has lost his will to write when his divorced wife steals his book as her own and he has to learn to deal with that disappointment all the while having his life turned upside down by a comic character that is determined to be rid of overbearing mother and write the great American novel at the same time. It's funny and I always found it inspirational when I was a blocked writer.

ArtMarkie
10-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Hi there,

I got the movie title wrong. The one with the Dali
scenes was "Spellbound".

impressionist2
10-25-2002, 07:03 PM
Keith is in this forum!! I tangled with him once in Debates and won't do it again!:D Hi Keith.

"I may be wrong but the movie you are talking about is called " In Cognito". I believe he was a forgerer (sp) of other works of art. He created a supposed lost Rembrandt. He took it back from some crooked dealers who were looking to rip him off. He was on the run because the dealers said that he stole the piece and was falsely accused of murdering someone in the process.

Great movie..."

Boy, is this Ever a great!! Movie. Now, I have to go see if I can rent it, and watch it again.

Plus, I just never liked Pollack till I saw the movie. I remember one of the last scenes in the movie when the camera turned the corner in the gallery. I just gasped at the beauty of the paintings. Saw them really for the first time with new eyes.

Renee

hummingbird
10-26-2002, 05:04 AM
I'm gonna have to try and find the Pollock movie you are all talking about. What is the title of it? A couple weeks ago, I got a book about Pollock out of the library and just poured over it. Then a couple days ago, I took out "Love Affair" by Ruth Kligman about her relationship with Pollock. She was the only one that survived that car crash which killed him. So I'd really like to see this movie you are talking about next.

Pat

Grendel
10-26-2002, 01:27 PM
The Ed Harris Movie is simply called "Pollock", at least thats how it was released here in Canada. It is quite good with Ed Harris giving his usual top notch performance..gave me a real appreciation of Pollock's influence on the art scene even though I had never considered myself a fan before seeing the movie ;)
Gren
P.S..."Immortal Beloved" was another wonderful "arty" type movie which I think could be included in this category...enjoy!

cobalt fingers
10-26-2002, 08:45 PM
"Wolf at the Door" gets my vote too. I found "Sirens" to be the most accurate depiction of a working artists' life and practice-really. I thought the whole manner of the artist in that movie to be very credible.

impressionist2
10-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Dana, There is something so compelling about Michael Stipes. I always wanted to paint him. Aside from which I love R.E.M.

If you can stand the verbosity, there is an interesting article on Caravaggio, Sting and Stipes.

http://www.naughtyprofessor.com/stingrempaper.html

I saw Sting when he was still with the Police in 1979, and even then he appeared onstage in a priests surplus.

Writes4me, "Waking Ned Devine" is such a brilliant movie. My husband and I have watched that so many times, we can quote it now. "Annie, me darlin', bring me me apple tart"

Renee

arourapope
10-27-2002, 03:19 PM
What Dreams May Come (excellent even with the sound turned off.)

minov
10-28-2002, 08:55 AM
We watched a great movie about Calder (made sometime inthe 1960's?) at a friends house recently. I think it's called Calder's circus and it really inspired my kids! They ended up taking home the wine corks and bits of cardboard and sticks all the way back across the country and made their own circus! It's amazing to watch kids process and work through visual information.

sgtaylor
10-28-2002, 09:20 AM
I really haven't liked any movies about artists with the exception of The Horses Mouth (fiction) with Alec Guinness. I like the book The Agony and the Ecstasy but didn't much care for the movie. I also thought that Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh in Lust for Life was the one of the worst casting decisions ever. I've seen a number of good documentaries, but alas, I can't recall any of their names.

I get a lot of inspiration from movies - mostly from old Film Noir. Now that movies are all in color, and the characters are subordinate to the special effects, they don't really inspire me much.

Thorzdad
10-29-2002, 10:36 AM
I loved Pollack, too, if only for the amazing scene where he goes to work on the piece for Peggy Guggenheim's apartment. I think Harris got it right...that total emmersion and the explosion of creation. After we saw that scene, I turned to my wife and told her "That's what it's like."

Oh..and "Hi." I'm new here. Nice place!

crateoforanges
11-07-2002, 03:30 PM
How about 'The Mystery of Picasso'. It was sanctioned a national treasure in France. It is literally Picasso in a film studio. Picasso is painting on I believe either frosted glass or an oil paper and the camera is filming from the other side. It also shows a time lapse segment where Picasso paints on canvas. You don't have to be a fan of Picasso to like this film. But its hard to walk away without admiration for his sheer tenacity!

hummingbird
11-15-2002, 08:37 AM
Has anyone seen the new Frida Kahlo movie yet? It just opened a few days ago. I'm thinking thats gonna be a great artist date one afternoon. Would love to hear if someone's seen it and if its any good.

Pat

Grendel
11-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Humingbird..saw Frida, and found it quite good. Kahlo was an unknown to me, and although I had seen a few of her works online they didnt really do much for me. After seeing the movie however I have a deeper appreciation to the works I've seen, so in that respect alone I'd say the movie was a success. On top of that it was a well acted (imo)...so I'd have to give it a thumbs up ;)
Gren

hummingbird
11-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi Gren, thank you!! Glad to hear its a thumbs up :) Hopefully I can get to it this week. Now I'm really looking forward to it.

Pat

KatyaKarthik
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
"Modigliani", ''Seraphine", "Local Color", "Caravaggio" (with Alessio Boni)

Clive Green
03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Charles Laughton as Rembrandt - can't remember the title and it's an oldie. I first saw this when I was about 10 as part of a Laughton series. The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Henry the Eighth were two of his other films. He acted with Elsa Lancaster in a few movies and the scene with her as Anne of Cleves is drop dead hilarious.

Modigliani (always liked his work and was quite impressed by the acting, especially the actor playing Picasso, and the setting)
Seraphine (only just seen this, brilliant acting by the lead)
Frida (good acting here too, highpoint with me was Rivera vs David :lol: )
Pollock (another artist whose work I like, well set and acted)

I'm a sucker for most movies about artists - even the worse biopics. I spend most of time at first viewing looking at the art.

When it comes to movies as art I'm seldom impressed by anything - nowadays it's mostly what my grandmother would call all fur coat and no knickers. I do enjoy the anime from studio ghibli (well painted backgrounds and actual stories). Up had some great artwork as well as Ed Asner.

artyczar
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
It's late 80s, but the story of Camille Claudel is a great movie about Rodin's mistress who was a great sculptor in her own right, but unfortunately went mad probably because of his womanizing and having to live in a time where it was impossible to live outside of his shadow. She was creating work that was a bit more risky than he was. It's a pretty good film called just her name: Camille Claudel."

Some other "Art" movies that I love are:

Trust Me with Adam Ant
Robert Motherwell & the New York School: Storming the Citadel
ArtCity1, ArtCity2
Frida
Art21 series
Art School Confidential
Beautiful Losers
The Cool School
How to Draw a Bunny
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Radiant Child
Boogie Woogie

Clive Green
03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I take Art School Confidential out of the DVD rental every couple of months. It's nothing like my own education but it is hilarious. It also hits all the marks as a story. John Malkovitch phones it in but even so he's damn good

Use Her Name
03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Has anyone mentioned "The Cradle Will Rock"? Diego Rivera (Frida's lover) is featured in a battle against the state of New York trying to stop a leftist play and I think Orson Wells is a character in it too. This is an interesting film about Art during the Communist Witch Hunts. I also watched the film Basquiat (I think that is the right spelling) How about "Factory Girl"? How many films has Andrew Warhol appeared in as a character?

sherina
03-06-2011, 07:51 AM
:grouphug: Interesteing thread and oddly enough the timing is freaking me out too, as I just watched this movie a couple of days ago. It's Great Expectations (1998) with Gweneth, Paltrow & Ethan Hawk, & Robert Dinero.
It's always inspires me.

Tattau
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
How about "The Girl with the Pearl Earing"? I believe it to be about her Vermeer.

ArtSavesLives
03-07-2011, 04:09 AM
The Impressionists
Goya's Ghosts
Local Color
Catfish -- not so much inspiring, as eye opening about art on the internet
Everlasting Moments -- photography
Gods and Monsters
An Englishman In New York
As It Is In Heaven -- music
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams -- stunning movie!
The Pillow Book -- sex/nudity warning, some violence, but stunning
The Agony and the Ecstasy
My Left Foot
Serafine
The Soloist -- music
Vicky Christina Barcelona
Miss Potter
The Cool School
Gonzo

Evelien1
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi there,

my alltime favorite: Rubljev, by Andrej Tarkovsky

It's about the icon painter Andrej Rubljev, but actually this film is a depiction of human artistic development (the road to making great paintings) Only in the end, it's in color.
The first time I saw it, I almost went out of my mind, because the imagery is totally direct. Ideas are communicated by scenery, images etc. in a way that can be perceived before it's even understood. Magic. To me, this movie is a masterpiece itself.
I liked his other movies as well, especially Nostalgia
It's an old movie, made in the USSR (cold war times), but I know it's available on DVD.

lawilliams5o
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Just adding my two cents!! Camille Claudel!!!:thumbsup:

Ray Berry
03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I am amazed that no-one has mentioned the great film 'El Greco' made in 2007.

I know that I live in Crete where Domenico Theotokopoulos was born - I have even visited his village - Fodele - which has an excellent museum of his work, but this movie is world famous and El Greco is truly a great artist.

I have seen his work in originals, particularly in that excellent art museum in Indianapolis and they struck me as very poignant. A great movie about a great man.

Ray

KatyaKarthik
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
When browsing, I found this recommended list of movies on art or in some way art-related, it's worth a look!
http://daphne.palomar.edu/mhudelson/ArtHistoryMovies.html

kate252
03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Seraphine is a really good art film- because you see plenty of her art- in my view theres no point in seeing the artists life in film if you dont get to see their art too- and plenty of films are like it- I dont think Van gogh is interesting on his own- not without his art being an integral part of his story- the fact he went mad and choped off his ear- its ineresting but not enough for a whole film- but plenty makers think it is

anyway -lease watch this film its lovely!!!

heres a link about info
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1048171/
if the address doesnt work type in seraphine and etails will come up in google-

i too thoght the frida film was good- but this film in my opinion is something unique

ArtSavesLives
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
While Artemisia played around with chronology and facts a little, and completely stopped short of telling her later story when her art really took off . . . I enjoyed the movie tremendously. It may have been highly fictionalized, but inspiring non-the-less . . .

Keith Russell
03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Crumb (documentary about "underground" cartoonist Robert Crumb); In the Realms of the Unreal (documentary about "outsider" artist Henry Darger, "discovered" posthumously--caution, mature subject matter); and (of course), Matthew Barney's Cremaster cycle...

Tattau
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

Horsa
03-22-2011, 02:46 PM
J'Accuse is a documentary about Rembrants famous "Night Watch" it puts forth the claim that the entire painting is an indictment for murder. Definitely does the "DaVinci Code" one better in my book. For starters it has a more believable premise.

Also if you have the stomach for horror movies, the first two of Clive Barker's "Hellraiser" movies have some very inspiring imagery, as long as you look past what the image is of...