PDA

View Full Version : untitled, reflections, and mirage

jolie
07-29-2002, 07:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2002/7623_red_yellow-small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2002/7623_reflections_for_wetcanvas.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2002/7623_mirage-for_wc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: untitled, reflections, and mirage
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 30x50 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
i have been playing with textures lately. i started with crimson acrylic, randomly covered bits of it with gesso, then alternated between many layers of liquid acrylic, gesso, and ink in various reds, burnt umber, and a touch of violet on the bottom. i used the same technique on the top, but laid a stamp in the wet gesso and highlighted it with a layer of gold paint, then glass paint. i used a touch of white oil pastel to highlight some of the texture at the top.

i'll attach a few more too, that i previously posted in the abstract forum, but didn't get a lot of feedback on. they are both playing with the same techniques as above thanks! please ignore the digital copyright watermark on reflections, as it had already been added for my website.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
just looking for general comments. also wouldn't mind hearing if this makes you think of anything in particular while looking at it, as i am struggling for a title (on the first).

pracht
07-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Iím particularly fond of the last pattern. The colors are very inviting and the patterns are incredible. The second piece is too harsh, both in pattern and colors. The first is just, well, boring.

jolie
07-30-2002, 06:08 AM
pracht,

thanks for taking the time to reply...and i have to say i'm surprised, but happy that someone finally likes "mirage". (although i'd be happier if you liked all 3. lol...but this is the critique forum and i asked for it. *grins*) to be fair, i only had 2 previous responses on that one...one positive and one negative, so there hasn't been enough feedback to make an accurate assessment on how most people react to it.

most of the people who have seen them seem to like the style of
the first two, so i was feeling fairly confident about how those are working. i'm thinking maybe i need to play with a series related to "mirage" and see what happens...thanks for the encouragement!

jolie

ronaldb
07-30-2002, 06:30 AM
i like your paintings :)
i agree with pracht - i love the 3rd one

aspybey
07-30-2002, 09:25 PM
I actually prefer the first one, i particularly enjoy the rich golden tones. Makes me think of Mars?...

jolie
07-31-2002, 04:55 AM
oh! aspybey!...you're a genious! i was really struggling for a title on this one, probably because all the pieces i've done recently have been related to earth and her tendencies. i didn't quite feel that way about this one (untitled) the one i finished last night had more to do with beyond earth and i've called it "one small step" (it's posted in the abstract forum)...anyway, it wasn't until you mentioned mars that i realized my mind had changed direction ever so slightly with THIS piece, rather than on the new one. perhaps i'll call it "brave new world". thanks!

jolie