PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil for a painting medium

D.W. Flint
10-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I just mixed half olive oil and half mineral spirits to use as a medium for my oil paints. Anybody have any ideas as to what I might end up with here?

halthepainter
10-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I have no idea but I'll suscribe to this thread to see if anyone else does. At least the odor should be more pleasant.

1100ww
10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Bad idea; olive oil is not a hardening oil. Stick with the established drying oils, like linseed, walnut, or poppyseed, safflower...

coyote
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I just mixed half olive oil and half mineral spirits to use as a medium for my oil paints. Anybody have any ideas as to what I might end up with here?

A really bad salad dressing.

Cormhag
10-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice reply:lol:

Yes, I wouldn't use that. There's a reason that we don't use olive or sunflower oil. They're cheap but the results won't last. They'll also yellow really quickly.

gunzorro
10-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Neither Mineral Oil or Olive Oil are drying oils -- don't use them -- your paints won't dry, or will dry somewhat leaving an under-bound paint film. Stay with proven artist's oils, resins and mediums.

Orph
10-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Yes an Italian ghost......

matthewstiles
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
A medium that never really dries is what you'll get.

If you dead set on getting oils from the grocery store make sure they're drying oils (walnut, safflower, flax/linseed) and do not have added antioxidants (such as vitamin E)

AlbertSc
10-16-2008, 11:13 AM

A mess. Alas, olive is not a drying oil.

donn_granros
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
"""Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W. Flint
I just mixed half olive oil and half mineral spirits to use as a medium for my oil paints. Anybody have any ideas as to what I might end up with here? """"

A really bad salad dressing.<----------------------------------!!!!

that was wonderful!!!

Use Her Name
10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I would be surprised if it 1) never dries, and 2) rots your canvas, or 3) attracts bugs and vermin. I use some "vegetable oil" of the cheap variety to clean my brushes -- provided that I also clean them with soap and rinse them well before further use. When it comes to painting, I would stick with "known" formulas because I buy fairly expensive paint (for me), and do not want to ruin a painting. My time is too valuable (my opinion).

WFMartin
10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
D W,

Gosh, I just looked at your website, and discovered that you do absolutely BEAUTIFUL work! That's why I'd like to understand why someone with your obvious artistic prowess would be considering something as clandestine as olive oil as a painting medium.

I've noticed that sometimes artists of great talent will strike out in the most self-destructive directions, as if they are driven by some hidden, inner motive to do so. Being less interested in taking risks, I've always marveled at that penchant in other artists.

As others have said, olive oil is a non-drying oil--the very worst material that an oil painter could use as an ingredient in a medium, very akin to the use of motor oil or baby oil. I know of some good artists who use it to clean their brushes, but I'm even a bit paranoid about doing that, simply because I'm afraid of having it contaminate my paint, or even the solvent in which I wash my brushes.

Please do yourself a favor, and avoid olive oil as anything to be associated with oil paint. You do great work, so don't knock success.:D

Bill

rgb
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Darrell, think first. There must be a reason that something as common for centuries as olive oil is not used in oil paintings.

Don't sniff your paint while you watch it dry.

Do you have any logical ideas? New ideas are fun and sometimes possible.

D.W. Flint
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
O.K., O.K. Already!! I'll throw the stuff out. My wife too said I was being too cheap. I'll have to admit I never thought of the drying time, just thought I would try it out. It does smell pretty good though....

Thanks everybody.:smug:

WFMartin
10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
O.K., O.K. Already!! I'll throw the stuff out. My wife too said I was being too cheap. I'll have to admit I never thought of the drying time, just thought I would try it out. It does smell pretty good though....

Thanks everybody.:smug:

Well, if it's "smell good" that you're after, try Walnut Oil for a drying oil, and Oil Of Spike as the solvent. It just don't get any better'n that!!

But, it does COST a bit. :D ;)

Bill