PDA

View Full Version : Varnish Acrylic?

wanderfast
02-16-2000, 03:15 PM
Hey, what is the best varnish or protective gloss coating for applying over acrylic?

CarlyHardy
02-16-2000, 05:24 PM
I use Delta Ceramcoat Varnish over my acrylics...easy to apply...dries completely clear without any cloudiness or streaking if you don't put your brush back into it as it dries...and it comes in matte, satin and gloss finish. A lot of the companies offer varnish in their product line for acrylics..you might like to purchase the small size and give them a try. I also use Soluvar which can be used over oils or acrylics..this goes on so smoothly!
chclements

UpStateMike
02-21-2000, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by wanderfast:
Hey, what is the best varnish or protective gloss coating for applying over acrylic?

Acrylics should be sealed with an isolation coat (usually a mix of Soft Gel Gloss and water 2:1). After that layer has been allowed to cure (~24 hours), apply either a polymer varnish or a mineral spirit-based acrylic varnish. True varnishes are meant to be removable, not just give the painting an even glossy or matte finish. They should also contain u.v. inhibitors to slow down the fading of the pigments.

smirky
04-13-2000, 10:12 AM
I positively LOVE using cryla's acrylic varnish. It dries positively clearly with no clouding and great gloss. The BIG down side to this stuff is that it contains mineral spirits and is stinky as all git-out. Additionally, you really do need to thin it with white mineral spirits a little to get the best results. But hey, I LOVE the results, even though the smell makes me a bit nauseated.

msue
04-13-2000, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Sandi:
Has any body else experienced the judges new? decisions concerning Acrylics? I just learned:
1. Acrylics behind glass will be considered a WaterColour painting.
2. Acrylics with varinsh will be considered an oil painting.

Whodathunkit

This looks like a good debate topic.
What is the reasoning?