PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Oct 13- Oct 19

Dougwas
10-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Hello Artists

The weekly pastel sketch thread is for pastelists of all levels who use soft pastels, hard pastels or pastel pencils.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything whether it be from life or photos.

Our theme for this week will be clouds and/or trees. Remember, this is just a suggestion. You can to paint something else if you want to.

It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flys when you are creating! So get your pastels out, set your timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us.

For inspiration, please visit the reference library.

http://wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

Doug

helenh
10-13-2008, 06:25 PM
OK. I'll jump in. I can't resist clouds. Here is my cloud sketch - a sunset. Done on 8x10 dark grey suede matboard. About 45 minutes.

Helen

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow. Helen that is so powerful. I love the colors. I love the drama and the values. That stands on its own as a painting, without anything on the horizon or any horizon. It's way too cool!

Suede board and velour paper are so cool, I love using them.

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Helen, your sunset on suede suggested to me that I might try a dawn on velour board. I checked and I did have some 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" velour boards in either black or sand handy. So I chose the Sand one, and did Clouds and Pines in mostly Mont Marte pastels (still breaking sticks as I use them) witha couple of details in the trees in pastel pencil when I dug out a green one to sign it with.

I thought I'd just get it in fast in twenty minutes, instead I took the full hour and really had to work at layering those clouds. I'd get one part too dark and then too light and then too yellowed, so I kept going around with colors, resulting in what I think are some pretty lively neutrals here and there too. Wish the scan were a bit clearer on color. This is close but oversimplified for color.

Pines were built up from two in the photo to the other larger ones built up loosely from those and memory, could not find a reference that looked like what I wanted so just used what was there. I changed them and made them a little irregular like the lopsided Christmas trees I had as a kid, to make them more real.

bchlvr
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Both of these are very nice...I may try mine on suede!

Beautiful colors Helen!

You have beautiful colors in yours also Robert!

bchlvr
10-13-2008, 09:20 PM
The suede made this fun! Sunset and Trees

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2008/74106-Sunset-and-Trees.jpg

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Linn, yours is so bold, and I love how you did the trees. Those painterly strokes resemble the pine needle clumps. I'm going to have to work a little larger and try doing that stroke now, it's gorgeous. I love the way you did the clouds too, very bold and fluffy. Your colors remind me of the Colorado sunsets!

Dougwas
10-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Helen- Wow! Nice sunset. I love your colours and how you used tints for whites.

Robert- The blue in your sky just pops through your fluffy clouds. I like the colours you used for your trees. Very interesting perspective.

Linn- I really like your mottled look in the sky. Another interesting perspective. Do I see another suede painting in your future?

Well, I don't have much sky in my sketch, but there are plenty of trees. This is done with Derwent pastel pencils on 9 x 6 Belgian Mist Wallis and took an hour. I did a sketch from my reference photo a couple of weeks ago with my sticks but thought I would try it with the pastel pencils.

Thanks for looking.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Doug, the little bit of sky you have works so well to help the golden-orange leaves pop. Your texture with the pastel pencils is wonderful. I love this, it's so bright and warm -- one of those autumn days when the world glows.

Judibelle
10-14-2008, 09:53 AM
WOW...such vibrant and beautiful sketches...
Linn and Helen....your clouds just blow me away!
Robert and Doug...really love the colors in yours...
Mine is a bit less vibrant....was trying to make the contrast between the sunlit areas and the shadows on the cottage.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2008/103700-scan0012.jpg_cottage_shadowa.jpg
C&C always welcomed and appreciated...
JB

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
JB, I love that tree on the left where the light hits it. That jumps out at me as the focal point. The fence is good too and I like the colors you've got, but it's that left side tree that jumps out as so beautiful to me. That is just one glorious tree, love the bare branches coming out in the middle of the foliage, the brush under it, the warm trunk -- it's so lively and powerful it doesn't need super bright colors to be that dramatic. Great light in this.

Dougwas
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
JB- I agree with Robert. The light/dark contrast is good. That dark green makes the light greens pop.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Not a tree, though there is some foliage behind the cat. I did this in under an hour, it's an Egyptian Mau from this reference in the RIL: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=70569. I guess it's an intimate look at blurry tree bases, the cat's just laying there in the sunpatch with some shadowy and highlighted foliage behind her.

More clouds and trees as a whole next time... just could not resist a cat so this is on the "anything" side of the week's theme. Colors in the scan still aren't true, the background is more green than turquoise.

Dougwas
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Wow Robert! This is a great "anything!":D Very good rendering and you caught the light very well. What size is it?

Doug

Dougwas
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Here's my attempt at a sunset. It is from a photo my son took a few years ago from our back deck. He flew out the door with our camera in hand while my wife and I were getting dinner ready. He is a graphic designer and loves colour. Hmmm... maybe it runs in the family.:D

I am cloud challenged, but I figured I would take a stab at it. This started out as a pastel pencil painting, but I ended up using my sticks over top. It's on 6 x 9 white Wallis and it took about an hour.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_14_08_Sunset_Sketch.jpg

Doug

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Oops, should have mentioned size and which pastels. That's 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" for my Mau on gray Hahnemuhle velour board with Mont Marte pastels and a few touches of white charcoal pencil (whiskers). When I forget to mention size, it's almost always that size. I do more artworks in art card size than anything else.

Your sunset is so colorful, Doug! It reminds me of Colorado -- sometimes the colorful purple and orange-to-red-pink clouds would be all over but the sky would still be blue at the horizon, it was almost spooky when that happened. Every day there'd be unbelievable skies out there. Really brings back some memories. Like the low horizon, the sky's the show in your cloud study.

bchlvr
10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Doug...you are doing great with those pencils...I like the trees and the textures and colors. Also you clouds are good colors and give the feeling of being overhead.

JB...great colors in this one...I like the fence alot and I like the light shining on the tree.

Robert...Love the cat and it's colors. I need to try more animals as I love animals so much.

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Linn. Try that reference, it was a great one for light and detail. I love the RIL for anything like this.

I think I want to try another tree or cloud study now that I've done my cat. Of course my actual cat is happy that I painted a cat, he likes cat pictures and cat video best.

Paula Ford
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Everybody! What nice sketches everyone has been doing!

Here's a sketch I did tonight. It fits in with the trees theme. 8x10 on dark brown ASCF.

Paula :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2008/1978-autumn1-sm.JPG

bchlvr
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Gorgeous Paula!

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Paula, the colors draw me in... it's such a red warm autumn overcast day! Reminds me of when I lived on the East Coast and got much more fall colors than in Kansas, when they'd truly blaze. The sky was murky and it didn't matter because the colors seemed to reflect even off the clouds. The marshy meadows are so great too, the reflections adding so much to the balance and pools helping the perspective.

Wow. You even have those patchy areas in the meadow where one part will be redder or browner or yellower naturally depending on what weed grows more there. I like the weedy details in the front. I stared at scenes like this for years every time I went out, just following them whenever I passed in a car, trying to remember everything. You just brought it back with a rush. This one's a masterpiece.

scall0way
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow, these pictures are all so fabulous. What incredible sketches. I have not been around here lately. My picture does not fit in with the theme at all, but in art class tonight my teacher gave us little 3x6 pieces of some sort of very expensive pastel board to try (whose name I forget) and told us to just try it out with something. If I'd know the theme here I would have tried a cloud or a tree, :lol:. But I was working with no ref and I'm not very good at that.

So this is just a 10-15-minute noodle from my head to try out the board, which was nice but I still like Colourfix better. It's an orange if you can't tell, tee hee. and oranges *grow* on trees at any rate. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2008/62165-Small_Orange.JPG

robertsloan2
10-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Nice orange. I like the texture and love the way you contrasted it with the cool colors in the background. Beautiful shading and detail in it. Great cast shadows too.

Dougwas
10-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks for your comments Robert. We get some really nice sunsets here and I have always wanted to try painting one.

Thanks Linn. I am having fun with my little set of pencils .:rolleyes: Mixing all the different types of pastel is a great learning experience.

Paula- Welcome back! This is another beautiful painting. I have missed looking at your landscapes and I am glad you are back. Is this from a photo from your vacation?

Debbie- Very nice orange. I like all the different colours in the background. They make your orange stand out. It's always neat to try out different surfaces, isn't it?

Doug

WC Lee
10-15-2008, 02:46 AM
great sketches everyone :)

here is a small one I did pretty quickly and roughly, 3 x 4.5 using the six color palette again

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2008/122017-sketch01414.jpg

robertsloan2
10-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Oooh that is pretty and lively, WC. So autumn warm and inviting. Looks like you did it plein air whether you did or not, it has that feeling about it. I love the light and the looseness and the contrast of that sky-slice with all the warm colors of everything else.

terri66
10-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi all, I love all the colour everyone is incorporating. When I have a bigger block of time, I will respond to everyone's sketches. This is an 8 x 10 inch sketch on a burnt sienna tinted homemade surface of gesso & volcanic ash on stonehedge paper. This is about a 45-50 minute sketch, it was getting too easy to make more marks and pass the time limit. Must step away from the easel.

terri66
10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Helen - The intensity of your colour choices are wonderfully luscious.
Robert - I like the warmth in your clouds. Your cat is well done.
Linn - Nice colour intensity.
Doug - I like your mark making and your colour choices
JB - Robert is right, the light on the left tree rocks.
Paula - Nice atmospheric perspective. Subtle colour choices.
Debbie - great playfulness in your sketch with yummy colour.
WC - The idea of light streaming into the forest is very strong. Well done.

Dougwas
10-15-2008, 02:25 PM
WC- Nice quick sketh. I really like the orange and yellow you used this time.

Terri- Welcome to WC and the Sketch Thread. We need another northern Canuck.:D Your trees really stand out against the sky. I like the perspective. I look forward to seeing more.

This was left over from last week. I did an under painting with Rembrandts and water and tried going over with Polychromos, but you couldn't see the Polys very well. So I decided to just go over it with my sticks and this is what I came up with. It's on 6 x 9 Wallis and it probably took about a total of 45 minutes.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_15_08_Pear_Remb_UP.jpg

Doug

robertsloan2
10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Great fall colors, Terri! A little more darks in the trunks of the trees might be cool, maybe some violets to give them more depth in the forest. It's so bright and light and cheery though, gives me a great sense of distance.

Doug, that pear is awesome. I love the bold colors and powerful abstract design. I had to look twice to see how you tied it all together with the red-violet in the shadows, and that worked so well.

Dougwas
10-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Robert. The different temperatures of red really helped with the b/g. I'll have to give that method another try.

Well, here is a cloud painting. I think things are getting better but I' not quite there. That's alright, because it's fun trying. I started this with pastel pencils and then finished it off with the sticks. It is on 6 x 9 grey toned white Wallis and took about an hour.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_15_08_Clouds.jpg

Doug

bchlvr
10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow a lot of sketches since just last night!

Debbie...your orange has great textures!

WC...nice landscape!

Terri...great colors!

Doug...terrific pear and like your clouds also!

robertsloan2
10-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Interesting shapes in your clouds, and I like the way you shadowed them, Linn. Neat study.

terri66
10-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Good point Robert, I think I might work up the sketch to a more finished work, taking that into account.

robertsloan2
10-16-2008, 02:45 AM
I don't actually have clouds in this one, but there are trees. I was intrigued by whether I would be able to get that rays of light effect in a pastel ... so I tried it with this reference from the RIL: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=84624, Morning Sun Rays by Fainsbert.

I attacked a defenseless piece of white Colourfix 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" with Cretacolor pastel pencils to get it, and I think it came out interesting. I wasn't able to adjust the colors in Gimp well enough to get them true -- there are blues and violets between the rays and the blue-green in the foliage is a hair greener -- it seems like if I get a bluish green true it'll yellow out any blues I have. But this is close anyway.

I think the colors are a bit richer in the original but this at least shows the values fairly well and is colorful. The greens don't look monochrome turquoise in the art and there are some yellow greens here and there in foreground and mid greens in the upper foliage.

Dougwas
10-16-2008, 03:10 AM
This looks great Robert! I love the rays of light. On my monitor, I can see blues and violets in the light rays. Good job.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Thank you. So glad you can see the blues and violets. I was disappointed that I couldn't get the nice range of greens and blues in this to show up all at the same time in mine, it came out with very rich subtle colors in person.

WC Lee
10-16-2008, 05:53 PM
a small quickie on wallis, 2.5 x 3 :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2008/122017-sketch01415.jpg

Judibelle
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
so many beautiful pieces coming in!
doug...your brilliant sunset is wonderfully colorful, and almost abstract. Your pear turned out truly luscious-looking. Am loving the textures you're getting, and your last cloud is 'what Robert said'...awesome!
Paula....glad to see you back....your painting is gorgeous...I feel like I'm right there in it...
DebbieC...great orange..love the colors, especially the background. Nice. WC...beautiful small sketches...love your palette.
Terri...love the colors in your trees...
Robert...I commented on yours in another thread...nice job.
Had a little time late this afternoon....looked out the window at the stormcloud and sunlight coming through at the tree-line. Couldnt resist. Took about 1/2 hour. Dont know whether I should have put the red sumac tree in or not. What do you-all think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2008/103700-scan0014.jpg_clouds__sumac.jpg
any C&C would be welcomed and appreciated...
JB

robertsloan2
10-17-2008, 02:09 AM
JB, I like the red sumac tree in there. Red sumac has some pleasant memories for me, it's always startling and dramatic. I love all your plein air ones. You live in such a beautiful area! The clouds are wonderful on this, so dark and heavy, and you caught what the shadow of those clouds do to everything.

WC, I commented before on your quickie, love it. That size can be so fascinating sometimes, and you handled the scene with so much detail. I'm going to have to start sketching larger sometimes just to balance out!

claydesigner2156
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi All,

Been "out of it" with a new gallery...will post pics later...and trying to paint and frame for our local 2008 show in Sanford NC. WHEW!!!

Anyway how nice that "skies" are a theme this week. I just happened to do one this week ...but I apologize for the flash glare on the pic. It's already framed !!!
I was just playing with lots of color ...and I think it turned out ok. Criticisms welcomed...really!

Busy busy busy. Who was it that said something about "idle hands..." Don't I wish!:evil:

Yvonne
WHAT A Doofus...forgot the pic!!!
The happiest people don't always have everything. They just make the most of everything they have.
Every creation may not be a masterpiece...just a piece of "life's puzzle"
(YG)

terri66
10-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I just finished this version of the trees this morning. I incorporated some of Robert's suggestions. Here are the before and after versions. Still 8 x 10", same surface but tinted yellow ochre.

Doug, we've only been here in Cold Lake for a year. We were in Comox for the last five, still miss the place. Fingers crossed that we get back there sooner rather than later.

claydesigner2156
10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Terri,
Wow...what great color! Missed Roberts comments on it but i like the one on the right a little more. The ground looks more natural. Nice.
Yvonne
Every creation may not be a masterpiece...just a piece of life's puzzle.

robertsloan2
10-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Terri, I'm so happy my suggestions helped. I love what you did between the trees and on the ground, it's beautiful. That scene is so warm and inviting. It makes me feel like tromping through the grass and having a fall picnic.

Yvonne, your sky is lovely. The color really shines even with the glare on the glass and the shadows of the clouds are striking. Beautiful painting.

Dougwas
10-17-2008, 09:22 PM
WC- Nice palette change. I really like the colours you used this time.

JB- Your sky looks very dramatic. I like the red splash in the painting.

Yvonne- Welcome back. Nice colours in your sky. Your framed painting looks fantastic.

Terri- Your painting looks great. I love the fall colours. The trunks of the trees really stand out. Vancouver Island is nice. Our son lives in Nanaimo and I wouldn't mind one bit moving somewhere over there. I still can't quite get used to the winters here.

Well, here's my latest attempt at some clouds. I went the dramatic route this time.:D It is on 9 x 12 AS Aubergine Colourfix.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_17_08_Clouds.jpg

Doug

claydesigner2156
10-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Doug....I expect the lightening bolt to pop right out of that scary cloud! Well done.
What is the bottom of the picture...the lighter color...fields? Pretty either way.

Thanks for the nice comments on my framed picture. Had fun with it.
Yvonne
Everything created is not a masterpiece...but only a piece of the "life Puzzle"

bchlvr
10-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Love the light shining through Robert!

Great grasses WC!

I like the red tree JB...it gives it interest.

Very nice Yvonne especially the sky!

The 2nd one is fantastic Terri!

Great clouds Doug!

bchlvr
10-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Tried to do trees and grasses on Canson smooth side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2008/74106-Tree-Study.jpg

robertsloan2
10-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks, Linn!

Doug, your storm clouds are great. I love that lowering sense of menace you captured about them, all they need is a wild strike of lightning and maybe a fire starting below them. Drama!

Linn, yours came out great too. I love how you got the trees, and I like the texture contrast between the trees and the sky. You've reminded me it's possible to get good effects on mi-Tientes. I use it under colored pencils often, but have been spoiled by all the Colourfix paintings I'm doing.

bchlvr
10-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks Robert! This morning I added some reddish purple to the tree trunks and added shading under the trees and it greatly improved it. I am wondering if I am wasting my time using cheap pastel paper because then you have to kind of learn all over again how to handle sanded paper. My next one will be on sanded paper I believe...either colorfix or wallis.

Dougwas
10-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the comments on my clouds everyone. I tried using Deborah's method for painting clouds but found out I am lacking some lighter colours. I guess I know what wil be on my next on line order.:D

Linn- Your tree scene looks great. I just want to take a walk down that path. I know what you are saying about different papers. I only have a few pieces of Canson left. I stick mainly to Wallis ans AS Colourfix, but I think I am going to try a few other sanded surfaces.

Doug

Judibelle
10-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Doug...your clouds just keep getting better nad better! Your textures and colors are really great.
Linn...Love you sketch...the trees and grasses give the feeling of light. very nice.

asking for advice here....I need one more piece to enter in a show in a couple of weeks. My husband isnt much help...so I'm asking you-all...is this one a possiblity? It's one I did a while ago, and I like it....but would like your honest opinion...there may be others that would work better...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2008/103700-scan0015.jpg__abstract_scene.jpg
thanks for your help...
JB

robertsloan2
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
This is very warm and bright, but it's also on the "wove" side of Canson mi-Tientes, I think. That shows through on it.

It's got a somewhat unfinished look to it. I think it could be a show piece but that it would take some more work to bring it to that level. You had a specific question about it -- if the show is for "sketches" then yeah, as it is could rock. But it does have a bit of an unfinished look especially around the sky and the distant hills.

You could mute the colors of the distant hills so that they push the far ground back and bring the foreground into prominence. The foreground is very neat. I like the brush on the left side bank a lot. On the right, the texture of the tree is good, the hill on the right looks a bit too blended and might benefit from some unblended marks to rough it up and create a brush texture like on the left. Some orange foliage on the foreground tree would be good, especially if you mute that orange treeline/hills in background so they're there but farther away -- blued more, into orangy browns and golds more than the bright oranges of the foreground.

It has a lot of distance from how you laid it out, that's what makes me think of that as a line of orangy hills with a treeline in front of it that's very bright orange. A bit more detail in the foreground, and some aerial/atmospheric perspective to support the dramatic perspective of the composition would make this a show piece.

I hope this helps. I hesitate to do heavy critique, but you did ask whether to choose this as is for a show. I would, but I would work on it more before entering it. It has such a good inherent composition I'd love to see you push it to its full potential.

Judibelle
10-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Robert...thanks for your help...I see what you mean. The paper texture shows up more on the scan than it does on the original, but the whole thing does need more work.
The only way I will learn is from the heavy critiques....so in order to improve it is good to hear them....I will work on it tomorrow...
JB

robertsloan2
10-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Glad I could help. That painting is so gorgeous that I can't wait to see what you do at the next stages. It's wonderful. I was afraid I'd gone too negative but I'm glad it turned out to be useful. Whew!

claydesigner2156
10-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Judibelle,

i agree with Robert too. Love to see the distance soo much lighter to make it recede and more branches on the tree. Looks a little skimpy. Like your ground color. I wouldn't change that too much. Post the picture again after you "play" with it a little. Good luck. It's never easy!

bchlvr
10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
JB...beautiful colors...make the background recede more and maybe just smaller twigs added to the tree here and there...will make a beautiful fall time painting! Hope you post it when you tweak it up a little bit.

Judibelle
10-19-2008, 01:56 PM
thanks, Robert, Linn, and Claydesigner for your comments. Here is the first 'tweaking'.... what more does it need in any area?
The scan seems to have come out brighter than the original.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/103700-scan0016.jpg__3rd_try_lone_tree.jpg
Fortunately this show is not juried...it's an annual show sponsored by the art league I belong to. So all entries will be hung....
Further comments appreciated....
JB

claydesigner2156
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
JB,
The tree does look so much better. Do you have any pale greens or ochres, grey greens, lavenders, or more muted colors? By adding the softer muted colors to the background area your background will be "pushed back".

Do you have one of those bright pastel sets? If so, it's time to start adding new colors.

Also...pick a side that the sun is coming from...right or left...and then put a darker line down the opposite side to give the tree dimension. A thin line will do it...no need to make the tree too much darker except for the shadow side of the trunk and branches.

Have fun!
Yvonne

claydesigner2156
10-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Ooops...i see you do have a shadow line...just not very pronounced. I would darken the shadows some...similar to the darks in the stream. Can'y wait to see what you accomplish.
Yvonne

claydesigner2156
10-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Ooops...i see you do have a shadow line...just not very pronounced. I would darken the shadows some...similar to the darks in the stream. Can'y wait to see what you accomplish.
Yvonne

robertsloan2
10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Yvonne said it. I understand the scan may be a lot brighter than the original, I get scan distortion all the time. But relative to the rest of the picture, your far hills are still brighter and redder. The bright reds in the distant treeline could be muted with browns or red-browns, and that would help, also adding some olives and muted grays into the hills beyond them would help.

Read the Snow Classroom because there is a lot in there about aerial perspective and how colors change as you go farther back in a scene. I've learned a lot from Deborah Secor on this. In general, things get bluer and more muted in the distance with less contrast. In specific, on snow where you can see what light is doing, yellows appear in the foreground because sunlight is yellow, then vanish in the middle ground, pinks and reds appear in the middle ground and vanish when it hits the far ground. Reds in middle ground are less intense than reds in the foreground.

In autumn there's a wonderful sense of bold orangy color everywhere, but if you look close at any autumn foliage reference you can see that the oranges in the middle distance are closer to burnt orange and reddish ochre colors than the pure bright oranges of foreground foliage, and that in the far distance they go to grayish brown -- without losing that sense of blazing color. Just by being farther away.

It helped me to understand more of the theory in depth and there are great posts about it in the Snow Classroom thread.

Judibelle
10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Yvonne....and Robert...just caught your post...yes,the scan is much brighter than the real thing....however, I worked, unworked, reworked, unworked etc....that background. Just cant seem to get it the colors that I want. But, I wont give up....yet! I wanted to keep the first line of trees fairly dark, but muted. Cant quite seem to get there.
So back I go to the 'drawing board'....
Deborah's snow thread is wonderful. It makes sense when I read it, but translating it to the paper is another thing I have a hard time doing.
But I do persevere....eventually I'll 'get it'.
JB

Judibelle
10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, here is my 4th attempt....I still didnt get the affect I wanted...I'm ready to scrap the whole thing and use something else...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/103700-scan0017.jpg___lone_tree4.jpg

claydesigner2156
10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
JB...
OK You now have the muted background. YEA! Next pop in a few of those brights into the immediate foreground at the bottom of the paper and up to the tree and only 1/2 inch behind the tree. That's it!
Take an off-white or cream color...or light beige and run a line on the right side of the trunk and a few branches for highlight. Then take a dark blue or brown...or both and run a line down the left side of the tree. This will give the tree a rounded shape. Keep these lines thin. You don't want them to overpower the tree.
Almost there! Oh don't start a new picture. Just add pastel over these colors. You don't need much now. Are you spraying WORKABLE Fixative on the paper? Though it will darken the colors some, you can add more pastel that way.

Yvonne

Judibelle
10-19-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks, Yvonne....you have given me hope. I will go at it again tomorrow with your suggestions. I really appreciate your taking the time to 'walk me through' this...
JB

Dougwas
10-20-2008, 01:01 AM
It seems like you are getting some great advice JB, so I'll leave it to the more experienced people here to help you out.

Are there any ideas for the theme for next week? How about flowers? Could be cut flowers in a vase, flowers in a garden, flowers on wallpaper:D or a close-up of a flower.

Sorry this is such a late post, but I couldn't get on WC earlier.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Almost done, JB! Don't give up! The background's just right now. Yvonne made all the suggestions I would have -- so you are nearly finished! These are accents.

You can take the same deep color you use for the thin accent shadowline on the tree, and run it into the shadow on the water at the foreground. Then along what looks like the shadow of the tree. Then a shade between the dark-dark and what's there and some lines to fade it in the ways I showed.

I drew ugly strokes with Gimp by picking a dark from your painting, darkening it to about the value I think Yvonne means by a sharp dark, and scribbling, then lightened it but not as far as what's there for the middle-dark tone.

These strokes are suggestions. It may or may not make sense and would look better after doing what Yvonne suggested to the tree with shadowing and highlighting. It might be way too much without what Yvonne suggested in contrasts and brighter colors in the foreground.

This painting is awesome and I can't wait to see the final version, whether you like my suggestion or not. I might have overdone it, so if you think it's too much then something like this but not as extreme might work better. Judge after doing Yvonne's suggestions for the tree or this would look very stupid.

Scottyarthur
10-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Some very nice pastels here, Sorry I missed this some how.

claydesigner2156
10-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Robert,

OK It's like waiting for the "baby to be born". Can't wait to see the finished painting. Once JB see the changes, she will understand what we have been talking about. All I know is not every one of mine is a winner. I want someone to help me at that time too.
Good collaboration, Robert

Yvonne
The happiest people don't always have everything. They just make the most of everything they have.!

claydesigner2156
10-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Doug,

Since I am not a flower person (no pun intended) but a people person, I would love to see both so i might have an interest. Selfish but true. However, I could use some time off so go for the flowers! I will check to see your choice.
Yvonne

robertsloan2
10-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, really, Yvonne! I can't wait to see what JB does next. Edit: I looked at other threads and she posted it into the current Weekly Sketch Thread asking if it's done yet. She modeled the tree wonderfully -- go see! The light is very apparent now and the meadow's blazing with color.

I've got a couple of flower projects I need to get done, so the flowers topic is great, Doug.