PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question: What do you do with your shavings?

ArtWench
07-28-2002, 11:50 PM
Okay, I know many of you will think I've leapt right off the deep end; but, as I was empying my pencil sharpener recepticle, I noticed how much of the wood shaving were going into the trash. Well, being a gardener, I started wondering about compost and whether there is any reason not to use my CP shavings in the compost pile? Of course, mine are mixed in with the graphite...

Lulu
07-29-2002, 02:00 AM
I'll be interested in your replies Cathexis:) In over a year of using cp's I've never thrown out any of the shavings:D Still waiting for bright ideas on how to use them. I thought of making paper and putting them in the water but don't know how that would work.

ArtWench
07-29-2002, 09:57 AM
LOL! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one concerned with shavings! I mentioned this to a friend of mine and only got a quizical look in return. Sigh. Maybe between us we can come up with something wonderful to do with them! LOL!

TeAnne
07-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Mine are all in a tin for a rainy day :D I have used some in collages. Not so crazy :evil:

Lulu, it will work fine. do it, you wont be sorry.

Lenore
07-30-2002, 01:41 AM
I thought of making paper and putting them in the water but don't know how that would work.

Lulu that is a great idea!! I am going to give it a try but I am going to add mine to the pulp mixture itself or sandwich them between layers. Not sure yet but so glad you thought of that!

Lenore

Elankat
07-30-2002, 03:13 PM
I put mine in the trash. :)

I wouldn't recommend using them on the plants unless you know the composition of each pigment. Often, color pigments can contain elements that are harmful to the environment, humans, and/or wildlife. Graphite pencils may not contain lead any longer, but it is possible that there are things like lead or cadmium in colored pencils. I'd say to find out for certain before putting them in your yard or house.

Charles Perera
07-31-2002, 04:33 AM
why not soak them in water and grind to make a pulp of it. Then mix it with gum arabic and model it. Perhaps a " big model of a colored pencil", to appreciate the yeoman service it is rendering to creative CP artists.....!!!

Sorry, it is just a thought.

Charles

Cathexis.

Wasn't it your B' Day a few days back....? Please accept my best wishes, for a long life with lots of ideas for paintings. May you be a well known artist before long.

Charles

ArtWench
08-01-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Charles Perera
why not soak them in water and grind to make a pulp of it. Then mix it with gum arabic and model it....

Wasn't it your B' Day a few days back....?

What an interesting idea! Hmmmm......

And thank you, Charles, for one of the most beautiful birthday sentiments I've ever received! If my husband has anything to do with it... I will have the equipment for every exigency for years to come! LOL! Yet another box from Dick Blick arrived today!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: