PDA

View Full Version : WIA Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Andee
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi all!

I'm busy taking photos etc for some new Etsy listings, but I wanted to say:

Happy Birthday, Barrie! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/29310-flower.gif
Happy Birthday, Freya! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/29310-flower.gif

BBL!

LadyArowana
10-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Happy Birthday (s ) from me too. I'm off to catch up with what people were up to after I posted yesterday. Fiona

TheBlueBetween
10-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Happy Birthday to the two of you, Barrie and Freya!!! Do you have the same birthday? How come I don't remember that? What a fabulous gift!

Hi Andee and Fiona!

BeadTowne
10-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Happy Birthday Barrie and Freya! Have a wonderful day (year) filled with love, laughter, surprises, and hermit crabs!

(Imagine this in purple, bold, big letters. No Colors or Smiles today. What's wrong with this place?)

LadyArowana
10-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi again.

Pam, I loved the doors collage, although as you say peeling paint is only interesting if it's someone else's, or if you want it stripped off anyways I suppose.

Dawn, hope you managed your get together even though you were feeling a bit less than sparkly.

Claire, was today a quieter one at work. Yesterday sounded horrible. The only good thing for me with the painting is that it means I can quitly get on with it and have the ( not rap ) music on the radio. They were laughing I would bill the builder, he will just account for 'regular' paid labour I'm sure.

Angela, very cool beads, what a shame the birdy had some cracks, they don't show in the picture, but I suppose they are not good structurally.

Barrie, I could do with a nice heap of warm critters. It has been quite nasty here. I put the heat on and retreat under the duvet in my little home away from home.

Rita, you must have been so pleased to find the purple hoodie, I'm sure you and Barrie have the beginnings of a gang happening. As soon as Barrie gets her hoodie it will be official. Enjoy the trip to the big bead store.

Gwen, I guess 'studio kitties' could be half way between 'house kitties' and 'outdoor kitties', I'm sure it's nicer for them than a hole in the ground. Have you tried a thimble for stitching through the thick fabric. I don't really like them, but they can be useful occasionally.

I got the other half of my beams done with a second coat of primer today. Finished that by lunchtime, then off to a meet with the kitchen designer. He will have my drawings by next Tuesday. Came back to base camp, but have to head out again in a little over 1/ 2 hour. It is the AGM for our building, and since I'm, here I thought it would be nice to go. I have met a few of the other residents, in passing, but always good to see people IRL. I hope the person who lives downstairs doesn't complain too much about the construction noise ! have a good day all. Hugs Liz if you are around. Fiona

Andee
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi again!

Another day racing by - I don't understand how days can go by this quickly when you don't do anything... And I'm tired and aching and still coughing. ARGH!! And very much uninspired, even tho I managed to make 2 pairs of earrings. They took forever to make, as atm I'm awfully clumsy...

Fiona - lovely lamps, they have such a vintage flair. I have to admit that for some very strange reason they make me think "dentist". But that's just me being weird. :D (It just hit me why they make me think that - they remind me a little of the sink at a dentist's chair.)

Dawn - okay, it does make more sense for one person to drive all those miles. Hope you had a lovely meeting and weren't too exhausted when you got home!

Claire - that sounds like yet another Claire-day: busy as he**. Hope today was a bit quieter! Um, I rather don't take that route to get out of the job, lol.

Barrie - hope you're having a fabulous day! :) I hear you on the car dreams. When I dream about driving (which is quite often), I always, ALWAYS have problems with the brake and keep bumping into things.

Angela - yeah, I would've prefered the drunken-night-dream over the pregnancy-one, too, but I never get to chose. *pout* ;) Great bead, such a vibrant colour combo! And what a cute bird!

Pam - your necklaces are beautiful pieces of art and should be in that price range. You sold some very high-end necklaces already, I'm sure these will find a buyer, too. It always bums me to see really low prices on Etsy, who can compete with that?

Rita - Cassie's eating habits are so not like mine, lol. I love fruit, but I love chocolate more. Alas. :D

Gwen - how are the three musCATeers today? I always have weird dreams, some are better, some are worse, some are horrid, but they are all rather weird. It's been like that forever. Oh, the running away, that one's a classic...

Everybody - :grouphug:

claire.c
10-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi all
Miserable weather today, I have hardly stuck my nose outside all day. Not good for me, I could do with a bit of exercise. Work was OK, I have nearly finished my ongoing utterly boring task of getting the Intrastat returns up to date, I'm a bit annoyed with my immediate boss who is insisting on including an item in the EC sales which shouldn't be there so I will have to include it too and hide it somewhere. My colleague was back today, she ran a marathon on Sunday and is aching horrendously.

Tonight I have a night in, and really ought to make some plans so I don't just waste the time. I will try and photograph my "door inspired" bracelet that I made in college, it won't be a WAF entry as I don't like to enter things made previously but it will be a start.

Barrie, happy birthday to you and Freya, just as well you didn't have to wrap the hermit crabs. Those hardwood blocks sound a great freebie, what have you planned for them?

Angela, love those beads, especially the one top one, reminds me of Diana East's work.

Pam, how noble of you to rescue Frank. There's no knowing what people will pay if they really like something, and those necklaces are very beautiful and expensive looking.

Rita, it is very hard to get elderly people to exercise, particularly when they can no longer walk. I wanted my Dad to go and use the toning tables at the gym to help with cirulation and a bit of muscle tone, he was up for it but my mother wasn't keen. It's good to hear you are buying things for yourself at last, well done.

Gwen, how do you get the kittens into the studio so Chica can still reach them? You've been having a good run of sales lately, have you decided about the torch? I'm looking forwards to seeing the bag you have been working on, stitching through several thicknesses is tricky, had to get the stitches neat.

Fiona, going to the AGM is a boring job but does give you the chance to check up on what's really going on. I'm sure your neighbour understands that work has to be done, after all it is only in working hours.

Andee, how much longer do you have off work? I still have to plan my holidays, I have four days left this year (not including the C*******s ones) plus I will get time in lieu for working full time at year end. So I need to make some decisions fast. You make a lot more jewellery than I get around to, and you work full time.

Hi Maggie and everyone still to come.

Barrie
10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Thank you for all the well wishes!!! Pam, Freya was born on my 40th birthday, how's that for the most awesome birthday present ever!! Especially after having four boys! Finally got a girl! :) Mark, Cecili, Freya, Kevin, Claire and Dayton are coming for dinner tonight. Freya wants a triple layer spice cake for our birthday, so I'm going to bake it this afternoon, then she can help decorate it when they get here. Claire's going to drop her off right after school (Claire drops her off and picks her up every day as Cecili works). Then Freya and I can hang out for a while before everyone arrives for dinner. Dh is cooking - home made corn chowder, my absolute favorite soup in the world! It's going to be a great evening, I think! :)

Other good news about the kids, they (all 6 of them!) are moving into a place together in mid-November. They finally found a house (brand new at that!) to rent where there's an upstairs suite and a downstairs suite, with a huge yard, garage, etc., within walking distance to work for Mark (who's the only one who doesn't drive). They're all so excited. I'm really happy for them!

Claire, hope work eases up this week. Too many days of hectic are not fun!!

Andee, that cold's been hanging on forever!! What a drag for you! hope it goes away soon so you can enjoy yourself a bit more!

Fiona, I never worry about being cold, just have to sit still and I have critters! LOL Lazy bunch of beasts, I tell you! Hope the meeting isn't too tedious, but a great way to meet the rest of the folks in the building. Hope the downstairs people don't complain about the builders!

Maggie, lol this place is having issues these days, isn't it?! Hope your day goes well!! Hey, I was reading your blog and you sound sad. Hope that's just me being paranoid. Big hugs for you, no matter how you're feeling.

Well, better get on with cake baking, and such! I have to zip to the store and get a couple of little things for Freya - the dollar store here has some fabulous shells which would be perfect for her hermit crab. I haven't had a chance to get to that other store to get more. It's so darn out of the way! I also have a ring that has to be finished tonight as I have to drop it off tomorrow no matter what. I'm heading to town anyway, so it will all work out. Hope you all have a great day! I'm off and running (well, hobbling, really, but we'll pretend!) :) Cheers!

TheBlueBetween
10-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I want to thank you guys for being so supportive of my prices. I don't know why, but selling my stuff is so hard for me. If I sell it for too little, I don't feel like making any more because it's not worth it... but then I see the super low prices on etsy and feel like a putz for asking so much (even though I know it's fair pricing, especially in this area of the world, low even for some of the galleries around here.) So thank you. :grouphug:

Barrie - yes, what a great 40th birthday present. I should have remembered that, I remember when she was born! No wonder you two have such a great bond. Enjoy your day, it sounds all good so far!

Andee, time sure does fly when we are not doing anything. I've been printing out that think pink tutorial all morning... and here it is almost noon and still nothing done but printing. (My printer needs major babysitting to get the job done, sadly.)

Claire, it's getting to be that time of year. Today the sun is out but it's raining. Last night wind storms so loud they woke me up (we do still have trees, just not the sick dried up ones in the front yard.) Exercise is good though, I need to push myself to go get some.

Fiona, your project sounds like it's coming along quite well - how great! Have a good time at the meeting, getting to know your neighbors again.

Hi Maggie. I don't know what they did with this box I'm typing in, all of a sudden it's teeny tiny. Wonder is uploader works. Should give it a try. They need to get things more stable here asap.

Well... printer is out of ink so no more printing job. Am going to go do something... something. something useful now. xoxo

TheBlueBetween
10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
oh and now the box is back to normal. someone's working on something, I guess. Uploader doesn't work though.

framerak
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Note to self - STOP reading the dire economic news and focus on creative, life-affirming things that won't leave me feeling drained and depressed! Can you tell what I did this morning instead of lighting the torch?? Must not do that each morning as it puts me in a foul frame of mind for the rest of the day.

Pam, we got that wind and rain last night too. Woke up listening to the trees being blown about and wondering if there was anything that could blow out of the yard. I guess Fall is officially here, huh? I just downloaded two of Lydia Muell's tutorials - the Encased Floral Panel and the Black Petals. They will force me to practice my stringer work, which is better with the new torch but still needs some work. Enjoy Think Pink!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR BARRIE & FREYA!! It sounds like you have a great celebratory evening planned. Spice cake is one of my favorites (not a chocolate person) and corn chowder sounds yummy. Enjoy your day! And it sounds like a perfect place for the kids to rent - great find.

Fiona, will you be doing more construction work? I suppose you can add it to your resume, huh? What a multi-talented princess you are!! ;)

Claire, if you're talking about getting more exercise, it confirms that I'm a total slug! A night in sounds like a good thing with the weather you're having. I'd love to see some pictures of the bracelet!

Andee, LOL about three MouseCATeers! Good one. And yes, time can zip right by when you're not doing much. Doesn't seem fair that it drags along when it's about 3pm and you're at work, does it? BTW, congrats on your recent sales!

DH has a work thing to attend this evening so I've got the house to myself (well, along with Dammit Dog, Dodger and Trixie). I need to do some basic housework and some laundry but can't seem to get too enthused about it. Still coughing and congested. Oh, got my haircut yesterday and when I looked at it this morning, I realized it's quite uneven. One side is definitely longer than the other so I'll be attacking it with some scissors. Could go back to the salon but I'm afraid they'll start chopping again and it will be shorter but still crooked. :eek: I definitely got what I paid for because I went to one of those quickie drop-in places.

Hi to Maggie, Gwen, Sylvia, and anyone else who swings by today! Hope everyone has a fabulous day!

Gypsy*
10-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I’m just catching up, I didn’t get back here yesterday, as I had intended.

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Barrie!!! Happy Birthday, Freya!

Pam, I have no idea what it is about the yogurt, never asked. Just ate it for my system like a good little girl. It sounds like you all will have a blast at the bead thing. As for your prices on Etsy, I agree with Angela... It might be hard to attract just the right customer, but your pieces are worth it!

Andee, Thanks for the post edit. I was getting tired of not seeing the images, too. That’s one heck of a dream! No, Toby does not seem to be missing any toes, I think he was ready to dart away. His paws have dark fur in between his toes, maybe that’s what looks funny.Bob got to pet him this morning! Toby rolled over onto his back before he realized he was being touched! Then he ran out of the garage, of course. We may tame him, yet! I just love his very green “bedroom eyes”! I thought you were over that cough--- Hope it leaves you soon!

Rita, Nice to put a face or two to the names. The “pudding shots” are great! Your dad must love having Cassie around. Beautiful painting! Yup, exercise has a lot to do with keeping one’s system moving! Get dad to sit and bicycle his legs, if you have to! Oh, I hope you had a ball at the bead store today!

Dawn, Are you feeling any better, yet? I hope you do. Bead group last night

Maggie, Glad you had a safe trip to Pasadena and back. good for you making plans and getting your tickets!

Fiona, Lovely lamps! Hooray for finishing the beams!

Claire, Hello, busy lady! I don’t blame you a bit for helping the workers paint, or anything else. Besides, that show of willingness to help will surely convey a sense of pride to them, and they will surely be careful with the job!

Barrie, Hope you can get pics of your gallery pieces, we’d love to see them! That’s a lot of work (last night) to be doing, when one is covered in critters! I can just picture it! Hope the rain let up for you before you went out. Have fun with everyone tonight, celebrating the birthdays! Hooray for the kids finding a place to live, it sounds perfect!

Angela, What wonderful lampwork! That bird is just adorable! I do hope you kick the “bug”, you have had it far too long, now. I can’t go to cheap haircut places, they never do what I tell them. Just don’t trim the uneven parts too much!

Gwen, Good for you for finding time to torch! Hey, aren’t we due for another kitten pic update? He, he! Hope you’re having a good day.

We had a ritual practice last night, I’ll tell you about my night later. Tonight we have a House Committee meeting, and I’ve go to go get ready. Take care, Everyone, enjoy your evening!

BeadTowne
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Fiona, We do live in times where people don't know their neighbors like they used to so I am glad you are going to the gathering. Painting beams doesn't sound like fun, I always get drips on my head.

Andee, Vacation days always pass faster whether you are doing anything or not. Come to think of it, the days just seem to be passing faster all the time. I'm sure your clumsy fingers managed to make beauties.

Claire, One good thing about everything being separate here, I have to go outside to go the the toilet and kitchen. It's a gorgeous day here, a bit warm after a very chilly morning. Hope you did a good job of hiding the item. Is there a reason boss man needed it in there?

Pam, I was able to add a picture to S&T over in glass. My laptop has always had problems putting pictures here, nowhere else though, but I found a way around it. Finally got to your Etsy and everything looks wonderful! I think your prices are right on and hope the right buyers find them.

Angela, Can't tell you how many times I have heard/read not to watch the news because it is just depressing. I usually just read the issues I am interested in rather than watch. Your bird and leaf are wonderful and seeing them has me so excited! I have LOVED that style of leaf since I saw one of hers a year or so ago. I have one of her birds. Make sure you are well long before our trip and stay that way.

Sylvia, A ritual practice? Hmmm. Sounds intriguing and looking forward to hearing more.

Gwen, Hope you are having a productive day. I love the idea of a studio kitten or two or three. Are all of their eyes healthy looking now?

Barrie, Spice cake is one of my favorites. Have a yummy go at it. Not sure if I am sad, at times yes, but I am feeling lost. A lot has to do with Gary, but that's not all. Living here presents its challenges, most of which I am okay with and laugh at, like vacuuming up flying critters before I go to sleep so they don't dive bomb my face in the middle of the night. Yes, that has happened two nights. Think I miss home (home being So Cal believe it or not), miss my students and even miss teaching.

I know change can take time to adjust to, but last time I took two years off of teaching, I didn't miss it for the first 1 1/2 years. School started only a little over a month ago. Really want to stick with making this a year of rest, creativity, family time, and whatever else I need it to be. I do love it here, but am beginning to see it more as a place to visit in later years than where I want to call home. That's such a huge revelation for me.

I torched part of the day, the wind started throwing the flame towards my face so it was time to quit. Need to build my better ventilation system so that won't continue to happen. Think I need to start creating jewelry in the evenings.

TheBlueBetween
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Maggie, thank you :) Will have to check out your s&t over in glass. Yes, jewelry making at night, that's what I've been doing, while watching the news. Hah, not the news, but debates. Another one tonight. I have a feeling one of them is going to blow his top tonight. He seems pretty close to it these days. I think living rustically is an eye opening experience, you will be so grateful some day when you move back to a modern building. Or you'll get used to your cozy little haven - one or the other. But Frank said to me the other day that our next house will be brand new and all done and I had to agree with him... this always something needing doing/breaking is for the birds.

Sylvia, ritual practice? This sounds... wiccan? What else could it be? Something for Halloween? LOL

Angela, I'm sticking my fingers in my eyes so I can't see what the heck tutorials you are talking about. I'm sure they are lovely but I can't see them now! Hope you are feeling better soon and that your hair cut is fixed ok = those cheapie places can be a nightmare. But then so can those expensive places... have had bad luck at both.

OK, time for homework and stuff, then early dinner (blueberry pancakes with bacon!) and then debate. Whee, such an interesting life... haha.

BeadTowne
10-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Pam, Just a shell like yours. Thought about mentioning black cats to Sylvia, but wasn't sure if it would go over well with all of the cute cat lovers around here.

TheBlueBetween
10-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Maggie, it's a lovely shell :) I am still thinking what to pair mine up with.

Kerensamere
10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey guys! I've been lurking a lot lately, I wanted to say Happy BDay to you Barrie and to your DD too! What a lovely thing for a mother and daughter to share!

I've been working full time for a financial planner and believe me I've been hearing all about the economic/market/wall st. insanity every day! I feel like I hardly have time to create and yet I have two shows a month this fall and I'm barely able to keep my inventory up to the level I like to have it at.

To make things even more interesting I had a bit of a health scare last week. Which brings me to the other reason I'm posting here today. Last Tuesday night I was on the phone with a friend and I felt like I had an itch on the side of my left breast. Thinking it was probably a hair or lord knows, a crumb! I reach down and swept my hand between my breast and my bra and felt a lump. Nope, not a crumb, or a bead (believe me I've found those in my cleavage too! :D) it was a lump in my breast. Well you can imagine how freaked out I was. I got off the phone (didn't tell my friend for fear of freaking her out too) and went down to the basement to find my DH and had him check it out. Yep, there's a lump there. So I went to bed of course I didn't sleep. Got up, got the kiddo off to school and then called the Dr's office at 8am only to find out that they didn't open until 8:45am that morning, figures! So I have to wait, oh and had to call my office to say that I'd be late. Finally get the Dr's office and the earliest they can see me is 4:15 that afternoon, thank goodness! So I go to work, try not to worry as I wait to leave early. Doc says "yep it's a lump" so he gives me a script for a mammogram and an ultra sound. I call the place that did my baseline mammogram in 07 and the earliest they can see me is Noon the next day. Yep, spent another sleepless night, didn't go to work in the morning (I have a 45 minute commute each way). Got the scans and loh and behold, it's a fat tumor, nothing to worry about at all (well not counting all the hours I'd been worrying since I found the thing in the first place!). So the here's the deal:
1) if you haven't already gotten a baseline mamogram do it, do it now! Don't tell me you can't afford it there are places that will do them for FREE!!! I had mine done last year because there is a history in my family on both my mom's side and my dad's although your mother's family health history is more important when it comes to breast health.
2)Do check yourself, only you really know how you feel. There's actually a campaign in our area called "feel your boobies" :D
3) if you find something, don't hesitate, call your DR. I was lucky and was able to get in and get screened pretty quickly not all health systems are that fast.
4) don't panic, if I hadn't called my mom who calmed me down I would've been an absolute basket case! Thanks Mom!

5) last but not least it's not an age thing, I'm only 37 I had my first mammogram done when I was 36 because of the family history.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share my story with my "lady" friends particularly since it is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

It's back to the studio for me I have to get ready for a big show this weekend in Thurmont, Md if you're in that neck of the woods this weekend drop me a line!

Hugs to all of you!

Jen

fringe4u
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARRIE AND FREYA!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2008/42096-happybirthday19.gif

BeadTowne
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Jen, I'm so glad you had a positive outcome after such a scare. You had me on the edge of my seat reading until I heard how you are. I've read/heard so many mixed reports on who gets breast cancer, including daughters of women who have had it, but the number one group is women. I've been having my breasts smooshed every year since I think age 35.

Kerensamere
10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Maggie!

I just wanted to share my story to help keep everybody healthy. My maternal grandmother had a lymph node removed and my paternal aunt had a radical mastectomy. I've also found out that a maternal aunt has had issues with cysts. So one way or another there's a history in my family. It's simply not something to take lightly. But even if you don't have a family history it doesn't mean that you should slack off on vigilance. No, mammograms are not fun but they are not awful either. I'll take that over heavy duty dental work any day! :D

Oh and just in case anyone wants to know, last year I made pendants to raise money for Susan G Komen, I donated 50% of the sale price to the foundation. Maybe someday we can be free of breast cancer and hopefully all other cancers. One can hope!

Jen

BeadTowne
10-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Jen, I lost my mom to breast cancer so that was always a concern of mine also. Lately I've read conflicting studies, not trying to make light of it and don't know what the truth is, think ALL women need to have their yearly breast exams. I'm so bad at doing monthly checks and wish I was better at it.

Susan G Komen is a great organization. I have things on my site where proceeds go there. Raised $18 so far this much. Not a lot, but it all adds up. I try to do the 5k each year also. My friend was just on a Holland Cruise to Alaska and she said at the end of each of their cruises they have the 5k for Susan G. How cool is that! Cruise for a Cure (http://www.zibb.com/article/4103306/Cruise+Critic+Gets+On+Deck+for+the+Cure+R)

Rita, Where are you???

Gypsy*
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi, everyone. Just flying through, after getting home late from the meeting. I’ll read and catch up in the morning, and answer your comments then. Hope everyone sleeps well, and hey, tomorrow’s the mid-week “hump” day, make it a good one!

ValleyCreekStudio
10-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi all, fast one from me before I dodder off to bed. Bad hair cut day for me as well. Must be something in the air, or moon phase.

Jen, so glad all turned out well. As a breast cancer survivor I just wanted to add my two cents worth. There was no history of breast cancer in my family but I still got it! Had a free mamo at work and a mass was detected but not read as cancer. Long story but please ladies, have those mamo's done and do your routine self exam. If you have insurance then you probably have a free well woman check that includes the mamo. Also, some women's clinics offer reduced fees for those without insurance. Some clinics even have the new machines that don't squeeze so hard. Be safe, not sorry!

On another note.......I have now sold enough beads this month to buy the Cricket torch! Now we are working on an oxcy-con and all the other fittings. YEAH!

Off to bed. I'll try to catch up properly tomorrow.

Ritazart
10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Maggie, Hi been home since about 1/4 to 8 or so. LONG day!! Rode 4-1/2 hours each way, and spent waaaaayy too much at Shipwreck Beads!!! Will blog and post stuff later. Here is my stash from today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2008/105733-bead_stash_web.jpg

BIGGEST BEAD STORE IMAGINABLE!!!!

:clap: :cat: :clap: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARRIE AND FREYA!!!! :clap: :cat: :clap:

Kerensamere
10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Oooooh what a great stash Rita! Looks like fun!

Jen