PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Oct 6 Thru 12

K Taylor-Green
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Afternoon everyone! I am running a bit late.:rolleyes: Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

I see from the new sub forum thread that the new look is pleasing. Unfortunately, I can't see it, yet! Even after refreshing, I still see the old view. Bummer.

We had such a busy weekend, with grandkids and puppies. Hoping the week is a bit calmer.

Deborah Secor
10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Wonder why you see the old version, Kate... Trust me, the new front page is very nice! I have Pastel Talk and the studio on my favorites, so I didn't see the new scheme until Tracy put me wise, but once I clicked on Pastels above that top bar, here was the whole new layout!

Here's what I see:

You guys have worked hard! Thanks...

Deborah

robertsloan2
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
The new arrangement is convenient. I appreciate the effort y'all put into reorganizing all these threads. I got a little confused last night as I was actually reading threads in the Pastel Library while it was being shut down and thought something had glitched my account, but I eventually figured out it wasn't me and was a migration. Thanks for moving my WIP threads!

Our new little tortie cat weighs only 8 pounds and is very tiny. Her name is Gemini because she has a dividing line down her body with two nonmatching tortie patterns, very beautiful markings. Big green eyes and motorboat purr at attention from anyone -- even four year old cat-adoring Sascha, my granddaughter.

Weirdly though, since she moved in and settled down, the cat food is disappearing at three times the rate it did with just my 12lb longhair Siamese, Ari Cat. I used to fill his bowl once or maybe twice a day. Now I'm filling it six or seven times a day and it's almost always empty! The new cat has hollow legs or something. She looks like she's only maybe about four pounds, she's so little, but that's solid cat, she weighs 8. Tiny little feet too.

So that's my observation today -- two cats can eat for three.

Other than that, I'm working on my future website in ways that won't be visible but may make it a lot more navigable. I've been procrastinating and window shopping on Blick instead, waiting for my order to arrive tomorrow.

I'm doing a daily art event on Livejournal for the entire month of October, so I should draw something today -- and if I have any sense I'll do the sketch for my third artwork that should be done real soon. So I think it's time to quit procrastinating and get started on one or the other of the important things that need to be done!

Judibelle
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
WOW I feel like a kid in a candy shop with this new forum....so much good stuff that was unknown to me before. I can see where I will be spending a good deal of spare time reading instead of painting....but it will all be worth it in the long run.
Thanks for all the hard work put into pulling this together!
JB

robertsloan2
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, JB. I keep running around and reading and finding more cool things. You're right it'll all be worth it in the long run.

K Taylor-Green
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, duh, seems I am coming in through the wrong door! Yep, If I click on Pastels, I see the new set up. It is a habit to come in from the Wet Canvas home page, the way I bookmarked it years ago, when I first joined.
Thanks, Deborah, for reminding me of the other door!

Robert, you sound as cat crazy as I am dog crazy! We have 7 Labs and I plan on keeping a female from the oldest of the 2 new litters we have now. We hunt, train, and run our Labs in hunt tests. Seems my life revolves around the care, training, and events of our Labs, and I love it! Even most of my paintings are Lab commissions these days.

robertsloan2
10-07-2008, 04:56 AM
That rocks, Katherine. Labs are cool dogs. I'm that much of a cat nut, though I don't have a whole cat colony. I fed a lot of strays back in New Orleans. But when I got Ari, I promised him that he'd be my special only cat and he is. Gemini, his friend, is my daughter's cat.

Ari really appreciates the spoiling. I love painting cats and have been sketching him and painting him occasionally over the years -- he's challenging with his long fur and gorgeous profile and pale blue eyes.

My daughter Kitten and son in law Karl have two big dogs. Zoe is a Siberian husky, purebred, well behaved and gentle. Ayla, "the world's most submissive dog," is half Black Lab and half Australian Shepherd and half Zoe's age. Kitten thinks the dominance hierarchy may change when the black puppy grows into her big giant feet.

So we have two big dogs, a large and a small cat, a four year old granddaughter, a two year old grandson and amazing for all that -- a clean house. I don't know how Kitten and Karl manage it, but the house is always reasonably clean.

Not like it's ready for a magazine photo shoot or white glove inspection, but the messes vanish as fast as they're made. The number of toys in the living room is limited. Dishes and toys and stuff get cleaned up within five minutes after the kids are off to nap or bed, so it never adds up. I get as impressed by that as by their dog training skills.

Both of them are self employed and organized. Maybe that's part of why things are so quiet and clean around here. No one's dragging home after fighting traffic to get around to cleaning up. It's more the home and workplace and studio all need to stay comfortable because everyone's around. I babysit the kittenlets and critters when they go out.

ElsieH
10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Duh!
I have looked around, even went back out and logged in again and
still it looks the same! What new forums? What new setup?
And who took away the cute little icons!?! :-0 Now I can't wave at anybody or cheer!

You just don't realize who sick you are until your feel better! I'm my old peppy self this week and my, my the dust has been flying!

I made one last batch of tomato sauce in the crockpot yesterday and said
good night to my veg. garden. Our predicted frost did not show up, so maybe a few last tomatoes might ripen.

When we first got our cat about 8 years ago, he had been out on his own for awhile and was thin and neglected. He would eat ANY amount of food we put out! That cat had four hollow legs. The vet said to let him eat all he wanted for about two weeks until he got settled in, then gradually cut him back to about a cup of dry food a day. After inhaling that much a few times and looking pitifully at me we compromised and he gets about a cup and a half. It actually makes it through with a few left-overs. Urie is certainly not underweight, but he does seem healthy. We've had a whole string of cats over the years and EVERY ONE of them has been different. Right now, my cute fur-ball is curled up in my paper recycling box and sleeping off the wild
"Express Cat" train ima=itation he was doing a little while ago.

Have a great well, All!

ElsieH
10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
:wave: Now that's much better!
Ok, I went out for a couple hours and just got back. I figured must be coming in to WC from some side door. Sure enough, I just typed in www.wetcanvas.com (http://www.wetcanvas.com) and the curtain went up! Very nice new arrangement!
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Oh, about my missing icons! They're back! I think I must have just hit the quick reply button! Duh! :lol:

This afternoon, I stepped back into a former "life" and found it amazing how a couple of years can change one! For 43 years, I went off to teach elementary school each day. Besides that, I was very active in teacher education. Today, I spent the afternoon in the Univ. of Wis., Madison, College of Education, attending a lecture on current research on the learning of mathematics. While I found it very interesting and engaging, I realized I do not, daily, think of those things any longer. I still do workshops in teaching math using multicultural/ethnic materials such as African fabric, Islamic design etc. Those are times I go, do my thing, and return. But, suddenly this afternoon, I realized most of my thinking time is spent now on art, on genealogy, on other "stuff".
I realized that I define myself quite differently today than I did a few years ago. Thanks WC for helping an "old dog learn new tricks!":heart:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

SharonC
10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
There was a request to post a couple pictures of my Pine Needle baskets. I have been weaving for 28 years, but have always wanted to learn the Pastel medium. I use to sell at art fairs, in galleries, and commissions, but for the past 6 years have been making baskets for charity events. I'm just sharing just so you can see what I also do in my spare time.
Sharonc

bchlvr
10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Your baskets are lovely! They must take alot of time and patience.

Kathryn Wilson
10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I am going to move this into the Scumble - non-pastel specific topics are not allowed in these forums - that is why we have the scumble to discuss subjects such as this.

SharonC
10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry to post in the wrong area. I appreciate the suggestion.
Sharonc

Deborah Secor
10-08-2008, 12:33 AM
No problem, Sharon--magically your baskets appear over here where we can drool! Wow! These are GORGEOUS baskets! I had a few minutes when I decided to become a basketmaker (go ahead, laugh everyone...trust me, as a basketmaker I make a great pastelist....) Do you work these wet or dry? And what thread did you use--waxed linen? I love the top of the last one--are those porcupine quills? Very nice work!

Deborah

robertsloan2
10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Those baskets are gorgeous. I always liked baskets. Never tried to make one, but I've watched people do it and the process is fascinating. Do you create them with bundled long pine needles? It would be fantastic to be able to create something from those. I remember wondering as a kid whether there was anything you could do with them creatively. I was into making stuff out of things I found in the woods.

Elsie, you're probably right about why little Gemini is eating for two. She was on her own for who knows how long, and her coat was all rough with malnutrition. Now she's getting soft and silky like Ari and still eating like she might not get any more anytime soon... but I think she is beginning to slow down a little. Poor little sweetheart. She was so lonely and she needed to be our cat, she belongs here and she's so happy.

Ari Cat just plopped into my lap to shed Cat Hairs of inspiration on everyone! He's purring at y'all.

SharonC
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the compliments! The baskets are made from the long leaf pine, I work with them damp, not too wet, remember things swell up when wet and shrink when dry so need them pliable. The thread is immitation Sinew, I use waxed linen and waxed cotton thread. Rafia is the historical binder but I cannot find good quality rafia any more, it splits, shreds and breaks. Yes Quill's on the third basket, my father in law was a Veterinarian and when ever he had to remove quills from a dogs nose he would save them for me. I use to go knock on doors when I found a pine tree with long enough needles and ask if I could rake the needles and everyone would laugh and say "Please do". The red and green on the middle basket are twigs from red and green twig dogwood, when the twigs dried the red stayed pretty close to the color, the green changed to a light tan color. In nature you never know what will happen.

Lab puppies, to me, are the cutest puppy of all puppies. I especially like the profile of a Lab when they are sitting and you are looking at them from behind. We have had three Lab's over our 28 years together and they all have been wonderful dogs. We have also had three different cats, the first died from some intestional problem at age 3, the second had his feluke shots but a neighbors cats had the disease and ours contracted it and died at age 2 The last one ,Wiley was around for over 13 years, but got out and never returned last November, quite devistating when that happens. I do miss having a cat, but now that we are empty nesters we are not in any hurry to replace pets, travel is in the future.

K Taylor-Green
10-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Welcome Sharon! Your baskets are beautiful! My cousin used to weave baskets. I still have a tiny one in my bathroom that he made for me to put my hair barrettes in.

This has got to be one of the cutest of Soleil's pups.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2008/41107-Male-23DaysSK.jpg

They all look pretty much like him, but I love this pose!

CM Neidhofer
10-08-2008, 03:20 PM
OMG Kate!!! He's just the most adorable thing I've ever seen!!! What a sweety baby. :heart:

Christine

Deborah Secor
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Awwww.... puppy breath! <melt> Thanks, I needed that...

Deborah

IdahoHat
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
What lovely and creative baskets. I like the little buttons and extras on them.

Will be out of pocket for the rest of the week due to a funeral. A dear friend and member of our congregation succombed to cancer and will be buried in Montana.
BUT, on Saturday I will be part of Art From the Heart in Coeur d'Alene. Our association will have a show in the Plaza Shops across from the resort. My demo time will be from 1-4 PM. Although I will demo in oil, I will have some of my pastel paintings up during the demo. Each demo artist gets a separate panel to hang their work on both sides during the demo. After the sadness of the funeral, it will be a welcome joy to do. If ANYONE is in the area, stop by.

Have a great week everyone and give thanks for every day you have the privilege of using the gifts God gave you.

SharonC
10-09-2008, 01:43 AM
I was just in Spokane Thursday through Sunday, a week too early, very close to Coeur d'Alene.

I have made baskets from 2 feet x 2 feet to a basket 1 inch x 1 inch, and I taught for a couple years also.

The puppy is totally adorable!!!Nothing better.

robertsloan2
10-09-2008, 04:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Harriett, but it sounds like the demo and Art from the Heart display will help sweeten your Saturday. Hope you get sales or commissions or both to help tide you over from the expenses. Have a good time at Coeur d'Alene!

Kathryn, that is a sweet puppy. Not all puppies grab me like kittens do, but this little guy is a darling!

ElsieH
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
:wave:

I'm sure Ari cat is a good sibling to your new cutie. I have a friend who had a sweatshirt that says: "Not outfit is complete without the addition of a vew cat hairs!" Just how did that cat hair get up on the easel into the pastel you ask? Just one of the many services preformed by your cat!:cat:

Oh, those baskets are so lovely! I'm with Deborah on this one: my only attempt at basket weaving produced a lumpy mess that only on the stretch of imagination could be called a basket! :lol: But, I love baskets. Such beautiful shapes! Treasures, works of art! :heart: :heart: Thanks so much for sharing!

Our little grandson, Ben, is about to have his first birthday later this month.
I wrote earlier about Ben's hearing needs and his cochlear impant that he got in August. He has caught up to where he should be and then some in language understanding and even attempts at speech.
They sent us a video of his first walking steps and at the end, his daddy says "Say bye-bye, Ben!" He looked up at the camera his father was holding and waved and said, "Bye-Bye" in a sweet baby voice! Buckets of tears time here! We are so blessed in the miracle of this child and the miracle of technology. Yesterday, I did my Grandma thing: went birthday present shopping! Such fun: cute outfilts, books, books, books (of course) and puzzles and a wooded school bus to pull and carry little wooden people!
:heart: :heart: :heart:

SharonC
10-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Elsie, isn't it wonderful how much our health care has improved over the years. Something that would not have been a possibility in the past is possible today. Congratulations on the successful implant. Grandchildren are the most marvelous gifts in life.

Pet hair: I saw a little sign a while back that read "Dog hair is a condiment in our house". Now that could transfer to "Cat hair is a condiment in our house". It made me chuckle because it is so true. No matter how much I clean there is pet hair. My brother in law who also is a Veterinarian gave me a new pet comb yesterday called FURminator deShedding tool, WOW, I combed our dog Kirby last night and I had a huge pile of hair and I was not done.

Dot Hoffman
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
No outfit is complete without cat (or dog) hair.

K Taylor-Green
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
No outfit is complete without cat (or dog) hair.

Ain't it the truth?!:lol:

Deborah I have puppy breath times 19! :rolleyes: I could probably send you some.

Robert we call that one Ike. They were born during the blackout when Hurricane Ike made a very surprising visit to the Miami Valley, here in Central Ohio. So they all have storm nicknames! Very temporary, as their new owners will name them as they want.

Elsie, I am so glad that Ben is doing well!

Harriett, my condolences on the loss of your friend. Very sad, indeed.

Well, I am going to be up to my ears in puppy clients this weekend. From here on out, til they all go to their new homes, my life is not my own!

Artistammy
10-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Love the baskets! And the puppy!
I love all dogs & cats but only live with ones that don't shed. ;) Don't like that fashion accessory. I've had a poodle & 2 mini schnauzers so far.
The back x-ray didn't show any fractures. I had a MRI but haven't got the report yet. My back pain is better but I think it's because I've been staying off my feet & keeping heat on it. I've got a new fashion accessory....a microwavable heating pad. It's got a belt so I can wear it all the time. :rolleyes: The Dr's office said I would hear before noon tomorrow. I finally got myself in the mood to paint today.
Tammy

Snowbound
10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I am currently dogless, and that feels weird. I am always stopping people on the street and asking if I can pet their dogs for a dog-fix. But 19.... eh, no. Cute they are, but I am a one-dog at a time woman.

Robert, I know what you mean about having to take in those little fur beings who need a home. Two years ago I tamed a little lost cat who'd moved into my barn to have kittens, and managed to get her just a day before the kittens were born. I ended up keeping her and turning her into a content house kitty. At first I was worried about how my other two cats (I'm not a cat person, either, but haven't been able to convince them of that) would take to her. From the beginning they each adopted her and treated her like a kitten. She was a tiny thing, too, small boned, 6 pounds, with the cutest little kitty toes. My other cats are 14 and 18 pounds, what a contrast.

She came with health problems, malnourashed and pregnant at too young an age. Sadly, a few months ago she became ill with a debilitating and incurable disease, and died one evening snuggled up to my side. My other two cats still miss her, and so do I. But I am so glad I took her in. She was a treasure.

Let's see: the Lyme seems to be well on the wane. And the sprained ankle is gradually strengthening. I took my first trip to town yesterday without wearing my brace! I'm getting back to my pastels, and think that in all the sketching I'd done while off my feet has influenced how I'm thinking about style and technique. I'll have to post one of my sketches, I guess.

Oh, the baskets: lovely! I love baskets. Many years ago, I used to do baskets using yarn, grasses and other natural fibers, incorporating beads and bits of bark and found objects. I've been thinking about doing them again. A nice substitute for rafia, believe it or not, are the long leaves from the old-fashioned orange daylilies known as "ditchlilies" in some places. I cut them as they are starting to fade, and lay them out until they are limp, then loosely bundle. To use, soak enough to soften, just as you would rafia. They aren't as long as rafia, so you have to overlay them, but they are very strong.

I had a wood stove installed a couple of weeks ago, and am still waiting for my wood delivery, which was supposed to be this week! I am getting frustrated... grrr. I so love the soft radiant heat of a wood fire.

Dayle Ann

Deborah Secor
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Aw, Dayle Ann you're killing me here! I miss my wood stoves so much!!! We tried to talk our landlord into installing one on the hearth of this pitiful 'decorative' fireplace but since the house went through a structure fire last year he was resistant. I guess it's wise. Most folks renting a house wouldn't know how to handle a wood stove (in these parts anyway), so we're reliant on forced air heat. It's chillier now but haven't got the heater hooked up yet. My mom (96) is starting to suffer from the 'cold', so I need to let my landlord know. People with normal body temp don't understand how chilled someone aged can get, and how quickly. I have an oil heater I need to hook up in her room, but I'm dreading the learning curve that will have to come with it! :rolleyes: Oh well, gotta be done...

Right now I wish I could kindle a little fire, smell the pinon smoke, and snuggle up next to my little stove with my coffee and paint. Enjoy!

Deborah

Snowbound
10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Deborah, I am so sorry you can't have a wood stove! I've lived with one just about all my life, and with the oil prices what they are, decided it made fiscal sense to get one put in here (I also had to have a chimney installed, but it should still pay for itself in three years or so). I am like you: love the radiant warmth. And nice for older folks, especially skinny ones (I just realized that I've already passed the age I can refer to myself as "middle-age", darn).

My dad loved the wood stove in the last house he lived in (my brothers kept the wood split and stacked for him). Too bad you couldn't get one for your mom to enjoy. I hope the oil heater works to give her the same kind of comfort.

I was burning some wood left in my barn (no idea how long it has been there, the bottom row was completely rotten). It was lovely, and my cats sooo happy. They think I put the stove in just for them!

But right now what I have is a cute little piece of decorative cast iron in my living room. Need wood! Still waiting. Wah. He's trying, just had a major piece of equipment break down so got behind in his deliveries.

Dayle Ann

robertsloan2
10-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Dayle, congratulations on your progress. That trip to town sounds like a release from jail. I've had some similar milestones this year, love that feeling of gaining back something I used to be able to do.

Elsie, congratulations on your grandson's hearing and his birthday! That sounds so wonderful. I love hearing about a medical success like that. One year birthdays have a tradition in our house. Kitten makes a chocolate cake for the kittenlets and they get to do whatever they want with it -- eat with their hands, smear it on themselves, play and eat as much as they want. We got pictures of birthday cake smearage for both Sascha and Gaby. I completely understand the indulgent-grandparent thing. I drool at Blick and Amazon over kid art supplies, toys, DVDs and books.

That sweatshirt is for me. LOL the cat hairs. Yep. I have two big long white ones stuck to the side of my easel on a bit of blue tack for luck, and of course I wear black to show the world I'm owned by a Siamese. When he meets someone wearing white, he donates tail, face and paw hairs, has everyone covered.

Zoe is the volume shedder though. Karl goes after her with a stiff brush and pulls out four or five big handfuls every time -- even if he brushed her the day before. Spring when she lost her winter coat underhair he saved baskets of it for Kitten to spin and knit. So we've got practical uses for dog hair around here. Ayla's not much of a shedder but Gemini is thinking about it as her coat gets more sleek.

We have a wood stove on our long term plans, that sounds so great. It'll take some remodeling because we don't actually have a fireplace of any kind in our house, but it may wind up living in the corner of the kitchen. I'm looking forward to it, never having had one but loving fireplaces for heat.

I spent my whole Friday going to excess on cleaning my studio corner. I didn't even put that on my October goals, but my aggravation with the clutter hit critical mass and I felt too tired and lousy to paint anything but a crayoned color wheel for my granddaughter Sascha.

But I completely reorganized my mediums. All but one of the big colored pencils tins migrated across the room to the bookcase supplies shelf, along with the boxes holding tube watercolors. I filled all the palettes, so the tubes can live across the room till they need recharging. Most of my watercolors wound up over there except the little stack of charged palettes and a couple of pan sets. The shelf had only been stacked shallow with three or four pastels sets on it. Now those are over here on my easel shelf.

Most of my sketchbooks got put away except for the main big one in use and the small ones I'm always referencing as well as scribbling in. I found every single small thing I misplaced and forgot where it was, and put it in easy understandable reach. I put away every book and magazine except the current issue of Artist's Magazine. This got rid of two huge stacks of books and magazines and sketchbooks on the floor that I had to work around to find anything. I found my hand bridge for doing larger art. Much help for my WIPs!

I threw my back halfway through migrating large sets of pastels one way and colored pencils the other with the stacks on the chair in between for transit till I got the easel shelf empty. That was so frustrating. So I had to rest, sit still, put up books and think. Got up as soon as it eased at all and kept going grimly till I was done, because it was worse in the middle than when I started.

Most of the small tins of colored pencils migrated to another shelf across the room, lightening up the clutter stacked horizontally on top of the books on my laptop cart. A lot of cards from friends and notes and decorated envelopes wound up in a memorabilia and collage stuff box. That did a lot to reduce the general scruffiness and make things easier to find.

I discovered supplies I bought and hadn't even tried yet because they were too hard to get at, a set of 30 watersoluble artist crayons is going to be fun for oil pastels experiments. I kept Derwent Drawing Pencils, Graphitints and Tinted Charcoal pencils over here for sketching but reduced all the colored pencils to the Prismacolors in leather cases, Inktense tin, Aqua Monoliths in leather case and pastel pencils in leather case. One of the leathers is my mouse pad, so the leathers can stay over here. One big tin at a time from now on, I can't spread out more than one or two trays anyway.

I found my good tin of graphite pencils. I found my box of willow charcoal sticks. I found all sorts of things I knew I had and rummaged like crazy looking for days ago.

I cleared off my easel, put away all the loose art and sketches, reduced that to just my pastels WIPs until they are done. I filed all the papers I'm keeping. I rummaged in the Blick box that still hadn't gone out to storage or dumpster and saved all the bubble wrap for mailing my pastels WIPs safely.

So my Friday was more physical than artistic, but it's made a huge difference. I vegged for hours, laid down and napped, woke up again and may sleep in a bit. But I know tomorrow it'll be so much easier working on any of my pastels, because all of them are now in reach. My little side table has nothing on it but my coffee cup and ashtray, so I won't have as much trouble laying out lots of Pan Pastels for painting.

I might still keep to putting them out in stacks with whatever colors I'm using on top of the stack though. It helps keep me organized to do it that way, and covering the colors I'm not using at the moment helps save them from Ari Cat's wandering feet.

This may sound crazy to anyone not on this forum, but I spend a significant amount of my "must rest" time reorganizing my upcoming Blick orders. I budget my savings and other expenses and then decide how much of what's left goes to Blick and where else during the month before I get my check. Then by the time I get my check, I've had plenty of time to reconsider my decisions and usually manage to make good ones that way. I do my impulse shopping into my Wish List and toss stuff in and out of the cart up till the last day -- but usually just the last couple of negotiable items.

This time I've got more packing supplies than art supplies in the cart, and it'll stay that way. Foam board, glassine, and a roll of archival shrink wrap. I used to use shrink wrap years ago and liked it better than the bags because it was so customizable to the size of the art. For shipping I can just put a piece of glassine under it on unmatted art. For display, I mat it and the shrink wrap is almost frame like, protects it well. So I'm finally getting that stuff again.

For the first time in a long time, most of the order is stuff I need for practical selling and only a few new things to paint with. That's okay though. I'm happy with my new Pan Pastels and only dabbling with a couple of other things, like the Shades and Tints sets and 24 Senneliers. I pulled off most of the rest for later. It's a good feeling, I'm taking my art more seriously.

CM Neidhofer
10-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Well, we're getting our first taste of winter tonight here in Colorado. First snow of the season for those of us in the lesser elevations. It's really very pretty and it's not too cold outside. First snow is always nice...after that...well...wish it was the first and ONLY snow!!! :eek:

Christine

K Taylor-Green
10-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Christy, I just can't wrap my mind around snow in October! I mean, I know it's out there in a lot of places,just can't make it feel normal to me.
Today, it was in the low 80s.

CM Neidhofer
10-12-2008, 12:35 AM
It's not sticking very much. Maybe about an inch at this point and the roads are just wet. It's going to warm up again into the 70's by midweek again. Same thing as Spring in the Rockies...wait five minutes, it'll change!

Christine

CM Neidhofer
10-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Forget previous post...it's a heavy, wet snow now! I think we're going to have a mess by morning!! :p

Christine

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Christy, thank you for reminding me I don't live in Colorado any more! I spent a year there near Boulder and right around middle of winter wondered if I'd ever see the sun again. I tend to wake up late and so I would often wake and notice it was sunset. Yep, first snow that early. But the skies are so pretty there and the air is so clear that it was gorgeous.