PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Oct 6-Oct 12

Dougwas
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Hello Artists

The weekly pastel sketch thread is for pastelist of all levels who use soft pastels, hard pastels or pastel pencils.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything whether it be from life or photos.

Let's try something a little different this week. Our theme for the week will be "fruit and vegetables". Remember, you can paint whatever you want. This is just a suggestion.

It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flys when you are creating! So get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us.

For inspiration, please visit the reference library. http://wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

bchlvr
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Looks like some have used the uploader so I will try this again. On blue rough side Canson (by mistake for the rough side) and after doing this thinking I should have used a different color paper so it would be brighter. Also instead of purple on the red maybe green would have made it brighter...but it was fun and a learning experience for me.

Judibelle
10-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Nice one, Linn!
I used canson also, but the smooth side (had to really check to be sure!)
But I'm not sure about the background...any suggestions would be helpful...
Doug...sorry about posting in the old thread after-the-fact...

Dougwas
10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Looks good Linn. I think the purple looks good on the red. Nice rendition and you did good work on the fabric. I know what you mean about paper colour. I always think I should have used a different colour after the fact.

Doug

Dougwas
10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
JB- We posted at the same time. I almost missed you. Good job. I really like the bowl of eggs. The eggs and the bowl are well done. If the b/g is fabric, just paint the different shades of the shadows and the tints of the highlites. Don't be afraid to go too dark. Darks are what make your lights pop.

Doug

WC Lee
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
very nice still lifes, Linn and Judi :)

---

did this for the bi-weekly challenge but misread the rules of using red, yellow, blue, and 2 other colors. For some reason, I though it said 5 colors of my choosing, duh :D Anyhow, this is done on colourifx primed YUPO, 4.25 x 5.5, and lo and behold, it fits in this week's theme too :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2008/122017-sketch01403.jpg

bchlvr
10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Very nice JB...I'm never sure about backgrounds either but this is very well done!

WC...like the yellow lemons against the deep purple! Very much like the loose style also.

robertsloan2
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Linn, I love the boldness of yours. The purple does work well on the red. The zucchini are so dramatic! The onions connect them wonderfully, this has so much motion and liveliness in it. I like the bottles in the back too, it all pulls together as a moment in a real kitchen more than a still life setup. Very cool!

Doug, your red pitcher is wild. I like the warm light it reflects onto the fruit in the basket and all the subtle combinations you have in it, also the loose strokes.

WC, your color choices for the Lemons reference are great. I hope you'll do another one for the Bi-Weekly Challenge so that I can compare how it looks when you're using the primaries-and-two palette too.

Dougwas
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
WC- I am glad you messed up. We get to see it.:D I like the colour contrast.

JB- I am not an expert by any means, so take what I say for whatever it's worth.:evil: When doing a background for a still life, look to see where the light sorce is coming from. There should be a shadow behind the object the light is shining at. The background will also be darker the further away from the light sorce you go. So if your b/g is red, it will be a darker red when you get further away from the light. If you haven't already, maybe take a look at the Still Life forum for some examples.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Dougwas
10-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Okay. Now that I have figured out how to post a painting,:mad: I will post a still life I did about a year ago. I hope you can tell that the b/g is lighter on the right side, the side where the light is coming from.

Doug

Scottyarthur
10-08-2008, 09:53 AM
nice work linn, judibelle, WC, doug, good colors and compositions

Judibelle
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Scotty, Doug, and Linn...
Doug...love the way the bottle shows through the glass...nice job.
WC...I like your color combinations...
Here is one I did this morning, took about 40 minutes, but I think I might have over-done it a bit. what do you-all think?
JB

Dougwas
10-08-2008, 06:15 PM
JB- I like the lose feel to this. Lots of colour. I cropped the sketch by placing a piece of paper over the left side of my monitor (high tech:lol: ) and made it a square and I like it more.

I hope to be able to do a sketch tonight.

Doug

Judibelle
10-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Doug....I think I can do that on my scanner....I'll give it a try. I think I will like it better, too....

bchlvr
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
My post got lost for some unknown reason:(

Great job on this one Doug...good job on the glass! Did you use your Mount Visions?

JB...good color and roundness of the apples!

Dougwas
10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I finally had a chance to do a sketch.:clap: I recently purchased a 24 stick set of Polychromos and have used them mostly for under paintings and finishing off paintings. It was time to try them on their own. This sketch is done entirely with Polychromos. It is on 9 x 6 Belgiun mist Wallis and took about an hour. It was a little tricky because I only had the 24 colours and it forced me to think.:lol: I am going to experiment with them. I think I see a full set in my future.:evil:

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_09_08_Sketch_Pears.jpg

Doug

Judibelle
10-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh Doug...your pears are so nicely done! I love the shading, and the texture...heck, I love the whole thing!
YAY for Polychromos....!
JB

loribfromva
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
This is my try at an orange. I still feel clumsy with my sticks, so any criticism and advice is greatly appreciated, like should the background be darker? Done on Art Spectrum 9x12.

Lori

Dougwas
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Lori- Good job! Nice shadow and good shading on the oranges. Fruit is a great subject to practice on. The best advice I can give you (and I am not an expert) is keep at it and the sticks will feel more comfortable in your hand.

Well, I did a little experiment with my Polychromos. I decided to try a wash underpainting. The first photo is the pastel on the paper before the water. The second photo is after I brushed water onto the paper and the third photo is after I added the Polychromos over the (dried) underpainting. I think the next time I will put more pastel down for the underpainting. It is on 9 x 6 White Wallis and it took just a little over an hour.

Thanks for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2008/102199-Pear_Stage_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2008/102199-Pear_Stage_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_09_08_Sketch2.jpg
Doug

Judibelle
10-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Pretty neat, Doug.....thanks for sharing that. I guess I'll have to try that too...
I really like the result.....
JB

WC Lee
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Douglas: Rembrandts creates the most opaque pastel wash out of all the pastel brands I currently have, probably because of the kaolin clay that they use. All the others seems to come out looking like watercolor. I went through that cycle of playing around with pastel wash under-paintings, but quickly gave it up :D

Dougwas
10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
WC- I have used Rembrandts for an underpainting before and found I liked the colour but it took up lots of the tooth. I am now just trying different ways of painting with just the Polychromos. I can use them sitting in my recliner:D and if I give them a quick underpainting I get more coverage. I do like the colours. I find them very vibrant.

You gave me an idea! Do the opposite of what most people do. Use soft pastels for the underpainting (with water) and the Polys ontop.:evil: I am such a rebel.:lol:

Doug

maw-t
10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Lots of yummy fruit!! Good work all! I did a sketch of an image from IRL.. it fits this thread & the bi-weekly.. I think I might finish it... I really dont get the reflections?? but thATS how I saw them in the photo.. not sure if this is a shelf or what they are sitting on?? Image is courtesy of mark44.

Dougwas
10-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks JB. I had fun doing something different. I liked playing with the colours.

Nice job Maw. I like the reflections. It shows what can be done with a limited pallette.

Doug

maw-t
10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Edit.. make that : Paul444 provided the image.. Not sure why I got so confused.. must be old timers kicking in >))

robertsloan2
10-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Your Polychromos experiments are cool, Doug. I like the wash underpainting, now I'm tempted to try that myself with something, either Nupastels or color Conte, hard pastels. The textures are great that you're getting and they do give so much color.

Maw-T, I liked this on the other thread and still like it so much. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do, and looking forward to seeing what else you do with them. The reflections are great!

Lori, the oranges look great. I might have done the shadows darker but then I'm always a nut for strong contrasts, what you did made the oranges look all juicy and tasty.

bchlvr
10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I also posted this in the 5 color challenge thread but it is fruit so it will go here also.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2008/74106-Lemons.jpg

Dougwas
10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks Robert. I am having fun doing it. I love the vibrant colours of the Polys and I am still experimenting to see what I can come up with. I think I might be on to something.:D

Linn- Great job on the 5 colour challenge. The lemons look great.

Doug

bchlvr
10-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Doug!

You are right Doug...experimenting is the best you can do...I love vibrant colors also and with experimenting you will hit on just the right combo!

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 02:20 AM
LOL -- I knew this thread was here, but am still so dopey recovering from the big cleanup that it just took me twenty minutes to find it again after doing a pastel in under an hour.

I did this for the Bi-Weekly Challenge in about forty minutes. I almost think it's cheating to go under an hour by working small, because I had to put a lot of layers on it to make it look right. But here it is -- a little mini-pumpkin from life, with a cat's shadow as the cat comes up to investigate it. Halloween, black cats or shadow cats, pumpkins...

bchlvr
10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Already commented on your colors Robert but I do love that blue against the orange!

Dougwas
10-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Robert- There are so many threads here, it's easy to get lost.:confused: You did a great job on your pumpkin. You made some nice colours with the primary colours. That challenge is opening my eyes to what is possible with a limited palette. You blended the colours well to get the hues you wanted.

Doug

Judibelle
10-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice pumpkin, Robert. Great colors.
This didnt quite turn out the way I wanted...it's from a photo of moonbeams creeping through the clouds over a lake....but I couldnt get the clouds white, after laying down dark blue first. Mistake #1. Didnt get the darks of the distant mountain and foreground quite right. Mistake #2. Probably should have had different color paper....maybe gray, to fit in better. I may try it again, but would love your comments on what to do...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2008/103700-scan0011.jpg_moonlit_cloud.jpg
It's 8x10, but I never seem to get out to the edges.

Dougwas
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
JB- I actually like the colour of paper you used. It gives the painting a brighter feeling. If you used grey, I think it would darken the painting. But, you might want that. I like the effect of this. Did you use a soft white over the dark blue? If you use a light touch with a soft white or light tint, you should be able to get what you are looking for. Maybe try it on a scrap piece of paper first.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Linn and Doug! Yeah, Doug, that challenge is opening my eyes to the possibilities of limited palettes too. I played with them a little now and then, but always wanted to have hundreds of colors to choose from. Now the small ranges with the best mixers look better and better!

JB -- the moonlight in clouds may not have turned out "right" compared to your reference, but it came out beautiful. It is light. It reads as light, not just as patches of light color. It reads as white even if it did not reach a pure white value. As for not going all the way to the edges, just cut a mat that's smaller than the paper and about the right size to cut off the art just right. If you cut two large mat corners and move them around as cropping tools, you could even use the mat dimensions to tweak composition and make the painting even more beautiful.

I would love to learn to not work all the way out to the edges! I always have, and it's caused me no end of trouble when a composition that works if shown in full turns wonky because a quarter inch is cut off on all sizes in order to mat it. Sometimes I remember to mark up a picture area and leave margins, but I never just do it by random accident. I may start trying to make myself mark off margins again when I start working larger than 4 x 6".

Dougwas
10-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I decided to keep at the pastel pencils and a semi-limited palette.:evil: I used 2 greens, 2 reds, 1 blue and 1 yellow. (I'm not going to count the white highlights:D ) This took one hour and is on 6 x 9 white Wallis. The reference photo was from the IRL.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2008/102199-Oct_12_08_Red_Pears.jpg

Doug

bchlvr
10-12-2008, 10:23 PM
JB...nicely done...I like how you did the sky!

Doug...great job with pencils again!

Dougwas
10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Linn. Guess what I've ordered from Dakota?:rolleyes:

So, any suggestions for a theme for next week? A free for all? Fall trees? I'm game for anything, so if anyone has anything in mind, let us know.

Doug

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 01:08 AM
I'd love either Trees or a free-for-all. I'm enjoying Scottyarthur's Tree Studies thread a bunch.

But sitting here thinking about it -- Tree Studies thread is already up.

What about Clouds? Have you done that too recently? I'm inspired by Deborah Secor's clouds studies and the idea of doing "clouds in under an hour" appeals to me. Then I won't overwork them but will do LOTS of them and get a handle on dramatic, violent weather! Plus you'd post some great references maybe?

Or one step more specific: storm clouds and Nasty Weather in general. Not just clouds, but clouds that would be hard to paint in plein air even if you were a healthy athletic hiker. Maybe even one with clouds and lightning...

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Your red pears are beautiful, and pop off the page like mad with that green textured background! I love how you get such strong colors with the pastel pencils and shade with those little almost pointillist marks. It's very striking and distinctive.

Dougwas
10-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Robert- Thanks for your comments on the red pears. I am planning on using the pencils more often to see what I can come up with.

We did clouds a little while ago. We did trees too. So.... how about trees and/or clouds. This will give people a choice or they can do whatever they want. How does that sound?

Doug

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Wonderful! I'll put trees in my clouds painting. Or clouds in my trees sketch! I have a clouds reference that I love, all I need to do is match it with a trees reference that's got light from the same direction and I've got my idea.