PDA

View Full Version : Repurpose empty thread spools?

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Those crafts manufactureres are smart folks. My grandmother's old sewing box which I know have had all sorts of old thread on wooden spools. She found all sorts of ways to repurpose those and I recall playing with them, "knitting" with them with nails hammered into the end of them, stringing them together . . . all sorts of things.

Now, thread is on hollow plastic spools and for 1.99 or so you can BUY a package of two small wooden spools in the crafts store. Go figure!

So, I hate throwing away things but have tossed out several plastic thread spools in the few months since I learned to sew/quilt. Does anyone have any clever idea for repurposing the empty plastic spools? If so, I'd love to hear it!

Share your ideas here!

Maureen Grantham
10-06-2008, 05:41 AM
I sometimes use them to stamp with, you can get some interesting patterns depending on which thread spool you have.

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-06-2008, 10:17 AM
It's a thought. Thanks. You know if we come up with enough good ideas here, the thread companies will probably find some new way to market thread and then sell us the empty plastic ones for 2.00 a piece! Wonder how they will keep the thread together then? lol

DrDebby
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Cat toys. :lol: That's what my empty thread spools used to become. I don't have a cat now, but, hang one on a doorknob with a bit of yarn and the cat would play with it. Or tie the yarn into a loop and drag the thread spool like a wheel and the cat would give chase.

BeyondTheNineSquares
10-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Ah, yes. I don't currently have a cat but when did, a ball of tin foil or a ring pulled from opening a new gallon of milk or water were popular toys!