PDA

View Full Version : a wonderful story

bruin70
04-15-2000, 02:06 AM
i have a very nice story to tell. i am just finishing the first week of my seminar. i do a demo every morning, all five days. the demos are sold in a lottery at the end of the week. names are picked out of a hat......one of my students this week has been an 85 year old wonderful lady,,,frail, delicate, in love with art. her name was picked to purchase one of the weks demos. she was ecstatic. after class she came up to me to say goodbye. we had a very nice hug. as we were hugging, she held on to me more tightly and started to shake,,,,tremble. i thought she was falling weak, so i held "held on". she was shaking almost uncontrollably. as i pulled back to ask her if she was ok, i saw that she was crying. (i'm getting misty as i type this out). i said "sue, don't cry,,,, everything is allright." she couldn't speak....but after she composed herself a bit, she said "art is so important"...........

Rod
04-15-2000, 02:48 AM
That is very heart touching Milt, Its moments like that, that make it so worthwhile,
A memory to treasure,
Rod

paintfool
04-15-2000, 03:01 AM
Milt, That must have been very moving experience for you & it only goes to show that wisdom abounds. I would say wisdom comes with age but i rather suspect that this dear lady has known this all of her life. i'll bet you were as honered to make her aquaintance as i might have been. What a treasure.....Cheryl

llis
04-15-2000, 07:01 AM
I agree, Bruin, what a wonderful experience. It is what makes art. Truly you have touched a chord in Sue and made her sing. It was meant to be, (for Sue to have your painting)....and what a treasure for Sue to have.

cagathoc
04-15-2000, 08:02 AM
Milt,

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. That's what it's all about isn't it? Connecting and sharing; communicating. You sound like a wonderful teacher!

cindy

RyderArt
04-15-2000, 10:13 AM
Milt...
As I type this through misty eyes....what a great experience! And I agree..."That's what it's all about!"
Art is important...unfortunately, in todays society, it gets placed at the bottom of the list for our children.
I hope that we hear more touching stories like this! That's what keeps us doing what we do!

Stephanie

shelewis
04-15-2000, 01:24 PM
Milt,
what a wonderful story!!! That truly is what it's all about!!! What an inspiration that must have been for you! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
Reading your story reminded me of a similar experience that I had about 7 years ago that I felt I should also share. I was struggling very hard personally as well as artistically, at the time I was 9 months pregnant with my 3rd son and had started showing my artwork weekly at the local farmers and Crafters market in town. I averaged enough money there to usually buy groceries for the week. Well, one particular Saturday a lady walked up to my booth and started looking at my drawings and paintings. She said she was visiting New Mexico from Virginia and enjoying her visit. She proceeded to go on and on about how much she really liked my work. There was one particular drawing I had done of a Native American standing in the desert. I was showing it but had no price on it. She asked how much I wanted for it and I told her $35. She ended up telling me that's not enough and started to write me a check for $55. As she wrote the check she started crying and said she would cherish this drawing and she hoped that there would come a day when I wouldn't be forced to sell my work for such a low price. She later wrote me several letters telling me how much she enjoyed my work, and that she had hung the drawing above her bed so that she thought of me often. The feeling this woman gave me was priceless, if I hadn't been so desperate for the money at that time I probably would have given her the drawing! To touch someone with my art,... that really is what it's all about!! Thanks again Milt for sharing your story! It's stories like that that keep me going as an artist!!

Paula

oleCC
04-15-2000, 01:44 PM
Milt - don't know who has blessed me more today, you or Larry in these discussions. On a day when I needed uplifting more than I can describe, you post that story! What a blessing it is, to find you have been a blessing - and you have. Thank you so much.
Carol

Gisela
04-15-2000, 08:59 PM
Milt and Paula,
Thank you both for sharing. I've got a tear in my just from reading your stories.
Beautiful!

Gisela

CarlyHardy
04-17-2000, 02:41 PM
Thank you for sharing that wonderful story, bruin....the heart really is what art is all about.
(Hope I'm not 85 by the time I get to take one of your workshops!)

MichaelRH
04-18-2000, 12:12 AM
Absolutely!!. (a little misty-eyed myself, as I read your post m)...(but there are many things that cause me to become emotional..I am caught off guard at the most unusual times). Thank you m for sharing this little story. It is funny, when I was caught off-guard..I used to make excuses (jokingly).."too much smoke in the room" etc. I think it is a good thing that things we value soooo much can move us to tears.
That is interesting m....that emotion you describe..I feel it quite often. (???) hummm
(m, if you see Sue again..tell her Michael agrees with her..it IS that important.
(((m))), ((Sue))

Painter
04-18-2000, 05:47 AM
Folks: It's all true. Thanks for the stories!

figgby
04-19-2000, 12:59 AM
I wish someone could send these stories to the congressional committee in charge of funding for the arts. Wonderful stories. All of this positive energy is great!! We never know the impact of our art.

Allaprima
04-20-2000, 01:12 AM
After being in your workshop and having the privalage of watching you create I get why she was so moved. I was totally inspired and awakened as an artist Thank you

bruin70
04-20-2000, 04:39 AM
alla,,,you were in my workshop???? milt

paintfool
04-24-2000, 02:58 AM
I had an inspiring experience today & remembering Milts story i felt i had to share it. Today is Easter Sunday I took a painting trip to the Gulf coast of Florida. Packed a picnic & fising gear for my husband & nephew & away we went. It was a perfect day. The weather cooperated beautifully & we found a very pristine little inlet. I painted the inlet complete with glimmering water,little islands & lots of sawgrass & palms. I was very pleased with the work & that alone was quite the Easter miracle, as i tend to be very harsh with myself. I'd never done a plein air that i was so happy with & decided "this is a keeper". Lo & behold, here came this little old woman. She's at least eighty. I marveled at her efforts to make it down the little sandy path to the waters edge & she did. She came over to me & started to admire my work. She was completely taken with this painting. She couldn't say enough about how i'd captured the beauty of the place. I can't even remember all of her exact words but could tell that she was truly in love with the painting. Then she went on to tell me about how she & her husband had spent so much time there at that spot & how she's just recently sprinkled his ashes there! (days ago!) So this place had a very special place in her heart.Needless to say, she was just killing me there!! She told me how gifted i was & that i should never stop painting. She turned to leave & after about ten seconds i yelled out to her "excuse me, but if you give me just a moment to sign this, you may have it". I think i was even surprised myself & still am not sure where those words came from. I'm not entirely convinced that they came from me! Oh my goodness! she was beside herself! as i signed it i could see that she was crying! She told me that her husband, had told her that she could get a painting for a particular spot in their house & had passed away shortly afterwards. She now thinks that he 'sent' her this painting of thier favorite spot!! I have no regrets whatsoever in giving her this piece,as she promised me that she would treasure it for the rest of her life & will it to her children....all in all, very sweet but i had to wonder, as i drove home today, was that a little bit of devine intervention in sending her an Easter gift from her dearly departed? Or do the elderly have a more profound appreciation for the arts than most of modern society? Is there hope for us in that as we age & have seen & done it all we finally come to realize what's truly important? Either way, she told me that i had "made her day" But she'll probably never know what she did for me today....just felt that i HAD to share. It was so timley, after reading Milts story....Cheryl

oleCC
04-24-2000, 04:47 PM
Cheryl...What a wonderful story! It reminded me of a quote that certainly fits.. ..

"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others .. cannot keep it from themselves."
James M. Barrie http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

[This message has been edited by oleCC (edited April 24, 2000).]

llis
04-24-2000, 05:31 PM
Cheryl, I know that the lady will have many happy moments looking at your painting and remembering the spot, her husband and now YOU. The painting I am sure is a treasure, but more than that, your gift of kindness to her is a treasure beyond any. (((Cheryl)))

sniff sniff

paintfool
04-24-2000, 10:02 PM
awww...gee, guys... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif remember now, i'm not so selfless...the experience was just as much mine as it was hers. I'll bet 'yall would have done the same thing http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Cheryl