PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Pastel Riot!

K Taylor-Green
09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
October is upon us and we know what comes in October! That's right! Halloween! So join us here in painting the spooky, the scary, the creepy, and the just downright weird!
I have uploaded a selection of photos that can be cropped or edited to suit you, or just use one of your own. Most came from the RIL, so thanks to those who donated them. A couple are mine.
Let's paint Halloween!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/41107-scarynight-ril-tessp.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/41107-black_cat_-_stephie20.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/41107-shannonfrog.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/41107-Chili_pepper4.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/41107-owl-d-dog.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/41107-Pink_Puppy.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I hope everybody has a spooky good time!

Colorix
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Gorgeous pictures! The kids are adorable, landscape just lacks a bat flying in front of the moon, and the closeups of the cat and owl are gorgeous, you can see every hair and every 'wisp' on every feather.

As I don't use black, it will be a great challenge to do the cat! How to make black with colours, I'm going to do it!

We don't really do Halloween in Sweden, not part of our culture, but daycare centers and shops have started to 'import' the custom from the US.

Thanks for the gorgeous pics!

Kathryn Wilson
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Here ya go Charlie - something black, with no black in it.

I've always been fascinated with ravens, especially when I go out west and see them flying in the canyons. I imagined this one sitting on the rim of a canyon with a big, orange moon behind him on all hallows eve.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2008/14941-raven.jpg

M Douglas
10-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Great job on this Kathyrn, I love the moon behind him and how you did the bit of shine on his beak. Wonderful.

Melodie

Kathryn Wilson
10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Melodie - that shine was just one line of pastel in the same color as the moon.

This was a fast and fun sketch and I am hoping others will take time from their serious painting and have fun with some spooky stuff :)

Colorix
10-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Quoth: what a beautiful and cute raven! Black with blue, gorgeous!

K Taylor-Green
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow, Kat! Great job! Very spooky.

Studio-1-F
10-04-2008, 11:29 AM
So join us here in painting the spooky, the scary, the creepy, and the just downright weird!
I did this (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m3cRR4bIXVs/SNa7ZnTPTnI/AAAAAAAAAc8/hj3T66fZOvA/s1600-h/scumble_bunny.jpg) a few weeks ago, but I think it qualifies. It sure creeps me out.

Jan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2008/12504-scumble_bunny.jpg

Rusla
10-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I love that moon picture, owl, and the cat. I love the haze around the moon...so good.

Randi-Lee

robertsloan2
10-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Kathrin, that raven is beautiful. The highlights on the black feathers and the interesting shadows make him so rich -- was that a really dark green or blue or what, that you used for the little shadows in the feathers?

Kathryn Wilson
10-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I think it was a Terry Ludwig very dark, dark blue - not black, but very blue.

Rusla
10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Here ya go Charlie - something black, with no black in it.

I've always been fascinated with ravens, especially when I go out west and see them flying in the canyons. I imagined this one sitting on the rim of a canyon with a big, orange moon behind him on all hallows eve.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2008/14941-raven.jpg

That is definitely a great raven.

Randi-Lee

M Douglas
10-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Although not spooky, scarry, or weird this does relate to Halloween. I've always loved this photo which I took last year and now I finally have a reason to paint it. Hopefully i'll get another painting done before the end of the month. The other night when I first opened this post and saw the pictures a owl started hooting outside my window....I think he was calling to me ..........:eek: eerieeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :lol:

C & C always welcomed
Melodie

6" x 9" approx.
on LaCarte

The Pumpkin Selection

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2008/51357-WDE_October_3,_2008_026-1_resized.jpg

robertsloan2
10-04-2008, 04:36 PM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z257/robertsloan2/IMG_0004-40.jpg

Owl
ACEO size, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Mont Marte soft pastels and General's white charcoal pencil (details)
on Tobacco Canson mi-Tientes

This was fun. I might do more than one of these. Thanks for such a weird and interesting set of references!

Melodie, your Pumpkin Selection is so sweet and nostalgic. I remember what I felt seeing those huge heaps of pumpkins when I was that small, it's so cool.

Kathryn Wilson
10-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Jan - that looks like a creepy, slimy, crawly something! lol

Melodie - awwww, punkins! This is darling.

Robert - I have a pair of hooooooty owls in my woods and they look just like this.

Rusla
10-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Wow! Good job on the owl.

Randi-Lee

M Douglas
10-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Excellent job on the owl Robert. I love it.

Melodie

robertsloan2
10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks! I have to do the cat and the moonlit night too, but maybe not as ACEOs. Or maybe so. I'll have to see, wanted to do some larger ones too. This is all month, right?

bchlvr
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Kathryn...love your raven!

Robert...great owl...love those eyes!

Kathryn Wilson
10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
This is all month - plenty of time for painting more than one - or working on something of your own - the photos were just suggestions or if you didn't have something else in mind.

bchlvr
10-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I tried the black cat...his fur is a little too long and thick and I think I made his face too fat...but he was fun to do. (I don't know why I only have a link and not a thumbnail)

Colorix
10-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Linn, beautiful cat. I've just started mine, and think much in the same way as you've done. GMTA, right?

It is WC, not you, who just gives links now, and not thumbs. I do hope it is temporary.

K Taylor-Green
10-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow! These are all great!

A puddle of irredescent slime? Kids would love it!

I love the sweet pumpkin piece, Melodie.

Robert, the owl is wonderful, especially in this size!

Linn, I think your cat looks great!

bchlvr
10-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks Charlie! Agreed GMTA. Actually I decided to do all three of these and I am trying to get away from using normal colors. Your use of color inspires me so as does Richard McDaniel (my favorite book). On this owl it looks kind of normal but I didn't use any normal colors...just not daring enough yet I guess.

bnoonan
10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi all,

Not sure I'll have the time to enter the challenge but I have to say the paintings are fantastic. Love the raven - the kid on the pumpkins, the cat and owl and oh - whom could I possibly have missed?

Great idea & nice photos Kate.

Barb

bchlvr
10-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks Katherine! Guess it takes Halloween to get me inspired.

bchlvr
10-05-2008, 12:36 PM
My final contribution (I think). I must say I have had a lot of fun with these. Paint and enjoy myself and not worry about them.

Kathryn Wilson
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Linn - that's so kewl - :)

Yep, just have fun and no serious painting here!

Semele
10-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Love your raven Kathryn! Of course it doesn't hurt that I love ravens, but that deep blue/yellow combination is a winner.

Melodie, how sweet. And completely catches the mood of the whole season.

Great owl Robert. You captured the "you're dinner" stare very well.

I like your cat Linn. The colors set off against each other nicely. And great use of the tree reference while doing your own thing!

Here's mine. It's a Frankenstein's monster combination of two RIL references and the first photo in this thread (spooky night). I had to invent my own lighting (I was imagining a campfire below the owl to the right, or some such thing), so I got confused about what to do with areas like his feet where I couldn't picture what the light and shadows would be doing (personally, I gotta see it to draw it). But for complete fantasy, I think I did well. :)

I put my references in below after my piece. (BTW, hard pastel on dark grayish-teal pastel paper; 9 1/2" x 13".)

[Edit: I thought the "manage attachments" approach would put images in, not links. What did I do wrong?]

Colorix
10-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Jan -- creepy-creepy, what is it? A rampant monster chromosome?

Melodie -- gorgeous pumpkins. Are they that big, or is the person a little one?

Robert -- beautiful owl, and one's gotta feel the creeps from its stare! That tiny size, and all that detail! Wow! (I've tried it once, and am very happy with a full sheet of Colourfix, thank you.)

Linn -- another beautiful owl! I see some 'unusual' colours there. Most noticeable is the bluish-purplish around the beak, it really adds zing, and the 'black' around the eyes, isn't that a very dark near black purple? Makes the eyes shine!

Linn, Witch -- Simply and elegantly caught night-scene. Witch is perfect!

Useless fact: While Swedes don't have Halloween, we have Witches, riding on broomsticks, with a copper coffee-pot hanging from it, and a hissing black cat riding on the bristles -- but, we have them on the Thursday of the Holy Week. Kids dress as 'witches', knock on doors and get candy. No tricks, but plenty of treating. They often leave a drawing as thanks. Or, I suspect they see it as currency -- leave a piece of paper, get candy. :-)

Charlie

robertsloan2
10-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow, thanks everybody! I'm stunned, considering some of you are pastelists who make me do wild takes and jawdrops and get amazed at what a medium I thought I knew my way around can do.

Linn, your cat, your owl and your witch rock. I want to do all three this month too, I'm loving these references. Your cat is so beautiful with those rich blue highlights and I like the bold orange background for contrast, it's seasonal and cool and a complete reversal of the usual atmospheric perspective thing. You got the eyes on the owl great. The witch scene is just fun, I looked at the reference and I'll probably just be literal with it but you've made it a great concept.

Semele, I would love to see yours, but the Image Uploader seems to have gone south even in attachments -- the links lead to "invalid attachment, if you clicked a valid link contact your administrator." I posted a day or two ago about it but have gone to outside hosting just to be able to post anything -- and am making sure to keep my images small so that they don't overload the WC servers. So have other members I've seen. It's frustrating and I hope they fix it soon.

Charlie, thanks for telling me about the Swedish custom of kids dressing as witches and getting candy for drawings -- I would have loved that as a kid. Any excuse to draw or read was great when I was little, and candy on top of it rocks. And thank you so much for your compliments on the owl's eyes!

I used some tricks in the eyes beyond what was in the photo to dramatize them. Instead of just the pure golden color in the photo, I used some lemon yellow and pale yellow highlights and some yellow ochre shading and then blended them so that I had more color and more layers in the eyes than anywhere else in it. Once I put in the pupil with black, I swiped into it two or three times with a bright ultramarine-looking blue and a teal, alternating them and smudging black back over the "eyeshine" because I knew that owls, like cats, have reflecting retinas and it'd show either greenish or reddish. I chose greenish because the eyes are yellow, blue eyes go red on cats. Then I drilled in the speck-highlight on top after reserving it, and used a General's White Charcoal pencil to get that in about three layers.

So the eyes have a ton more detail and the rest is mostly loose sketchy feathering strokes in the direction of the feathers, one good blending and another layer of strokes. The beak got three layers. I was doing that deliberately to make the eyes the focal point.

Now I'm tempted to go a little in your direction and do something bigger than usual with one of the others. Maybe even go up to huge and do the moonlit landscape on a 9 x 12" sheet of Colourfix. Maybe someday I'll even do something that's 12 x 16" or full sheet size, but most of the time I like to keep it to something that fits on my scanner.

Semele
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Semele, I would love to see yours, but the Image Uploader seems to have gone south even in attachments -- the links lead to "invalid attachment, if you clicked a valid link contact your administrator." I posted a day or two ago about it but have gone to outside hosting just to be able to post anything -- and am making sure to keep my images small so that they don't overload the WC servers. So have other members I've seen. It's frustrating and I hope they fix it soon.

Robert, try it again. It might not be WC. I was in the middle of removing my attachments and adding in a new, less fuzzy version of my drawing when you posted.

robertsloan2
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you! I love your painting. It's magnificent, and I like your eagle owl references too, they're gorgeous. You really did justice to them all and I can see how you combined them too. The campfirelight under the owl is gorgeous. That underlighting makes him spooky -- and you did all that light in your head combining those references, it's great. Wonderful atmospheric piece.

Spooky is sometimes relaxing and comforting to me if it's from nature, and to me this moonlit owl just brings a deep gentle peace to my soul. I can smell pines and feel the warmth of the campfire and hear night chorus in my mind looking at it, and taste fire-charred hot dogs or round steaks. I know it's supposed to be scary, and I'm sure it is to people who don't like being out in the woods at night. But my gut reaction comes from some of the happiest moments of my life being out camping in the woods at night with people I loved and lots of storytelling. It goes beyond its obvious meaning to just being what it is, and leaves it to me to react with the emotions I really have instead of being overpoweringly Traditional Scary. Thank you for steering me to it. This one moves me.

I'm also happy the attachments links are working so that I don't have to link to Photobucket!

Mario V
10-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Beware the CAT :cat:

Senneliers on Velour 10x8"

robertsloan2
10-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Mario, beautiful cat! I love the way you captured that alert expression and bright curiosity. Neat iridescent looking background with all the contrasting tints too.

Colorix
10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Semele, gorgeous owl! I swear it winked at me! Those orange glowing eyes are a bit disturbing, but beautiful!

Mario, wonderful simple indication of fur on the cat. How do you like the velour? And who lit the light in its head, shining out of the eyes?

Robert, don't be shy, your work is very good! And thank you for telling the process with the eyes. I did see sweaps of blue in the irises, even on the monitor, but didn't know they were part of the reason why those eyes were so compelling. (Owl and I started into each other's eyes a looooong time.) Know exactly what you mean with "drilled in" the highlights, it is either doing that with a harder pastel or a pencil, or heavy impasto speck of a supersoftie.

bchlvr
10-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Semele...great owl...like the approach and background you used.

Mario...great cat...very nicely done!

You're right Charlie...I did use purples in the owl.

Tracy Lang
10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I just love this time of year:evil: and love seeing all the great entries!

Kathryn, your raven is awesome...wonderful colors!
Jan, yes, fits right in...definitely has an eerie/alien feeling.
Robert, I can hear your owl hootin at me...I'm amazed by what you can do with that size!
Melodie, Your pumpkin patch brings back happy memories and has a vintage feel to it.
Linn, You have been busy LOL, the kitty turned out great and your owls eyes are certainly haunting, but the witch is my favorite :)
Semele, Great combination of ref's especially turning the day into night... turned out very well.
Mario, Wonderful colors and softness in your cat, the velour really worked for this and those eyes are mesmerizing.

Tracy

Tracy Lang
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
What Fun ! I set this up yesterday to get a little practice working from life.
Hope to do a few more this month!

Tracy

robertsloan2
10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank you, Tracy! Wow, your corpse bride is wonderful. I love the way you captured the feel of that scene from "Serpent and the Rainbow" in it, that's what it reminds me of. So haunting and elegant. It belongs in the Addams Family Mansion or something. Joie de Mort would be a fun title.

Rusla
10-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Wow! You guys.
Tracy: Awesome picture, very cool.
Mario: The cat is purrfect., I can hear it purring.
Linn; The witch is perfect and so is your cat.

I am so ashamed, I haven't done anything yet.

Randi-Lee

bchlvr
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow Tracy! Love yours...spooky and beautifully done!

K Taylor-Green
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Gosh, you guys have been so busy! I really need to get one started!

Love the corpse bride, Tracy.

Charlie, that is a very charming take on Halloween, though not Halloween precisely. I wish it would take off here! Giving something to get something.
Is there a special name for the evening?

M Douglas
10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Linn, busy woman! wonderful job on all three paintings.

Semele, I love your owl and its surroundings

Mario - great cat.

Tracy - yikes spooky!! Great job.

Charlie - yes that pumpkins were that big and the little guy was that small at times when he was between pumpkins you couldn't see him at all.

Melodie

scall0way
10-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow, what a fun thread this is! I *love* everyone's pictures! I had such fun just looking at them all. I hope to be able to contribute a new picture to this thread - but in case I run out of time ... I wanted to participate anyway, so here is a portrait I tried of my own cat, Snickers. I figured the colors were right for this thread, :lol:, both subject and background.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2008/62165-Snickers-again.jpg

M Douglas
10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Great portrait Debbie, love the hyponotic stare.

Melodie

robertsloan2
10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Snickers is great! His eyes are so luminous, the strong highlights on his shining fur make him look soft and cuddly, and he's got a sweet expression. The cast shadow gives depth to the portrait too, he's posing in front of a wall and it's very clear. Quite the longhair, your Snickers. I'm guessing he's male from big cheek fluffs and relatively small ear size to head ratio.

scall0way
10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Quite the longhair, your Snickers. I'm guessing he's male from big cheek fluffs and relatively small ear size to head ratio.

Ooh, that sounds very technical. I'll have to tell Snickers he can't hide from you. He does have big cheek fluffs indeed, but we tell him his best feature is his incredibly fluffy tail - though that does not show well in a portrait. :cat:

K Taylor-Green
10-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Great kitty, Debbie! Snickers is definitely a Halloween cat!

robertsloan2
10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
LOL yeah, it's hard to put the floof tail in directly. But his beautiful coat implied a lovely fluffy tail. I love a cat with a fluff tail, it's one of their best features. Scritch Snickers for me and tell him he's gorgeous (like he doesn't know it!)

Semele
10-09-2008, 07:15 AM
A lot of very cool images. I haven't had time to get back on the net and absorb each one so I can comment, but I will.

I will say that I find it interesting how many "spooky" images use black kitties. Here kitty-kitty. Cute kitty! With the glowing lamp-like eyes. Nice kitty .... :-)

Colorix
10-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Tracy! Awsomely scary! Reminds me of some 17th century paintings.

Katherine, yes, there is a name -- skärtorsdag -- meaning something like 'cleansing Thursday' (day before Good Fiday). The children dress up as witches, easter witches -- påsk-kärringar.

Debbie -- Snickers has that disconcerting stare, and the red shadow is 'creepy'! Fits perfectly! and there is a great sense of light reflected from the wall!

Ah, got sidetracked by cleaning studio a bit and framing, but *will* do one sketch.

Charlie

Colorix
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Felix is a cat, an ordinary black cat. He somewhat of a sensitive cat, and he can sit for hours watching the dustmites dance their golden polonaise.

He does keep an eye on his house and garden during the brigth hours, when his human staff is off to work, but nothing much happens. The magpies may tease him, trying to make him chase them, and the small birds stay out of reach in the foliage at the top of the trees, where he can't climb. They don't know that he really dislikes the tickling of feathers that *always* get stuck between his teeth, so he prefers his food pre-plucked by agile hands.

Food is important to him. He'd never sink so low as to eat off the dogs bowl, and is amazed at the rumour that dogs have a good sense of smell. "Really, that can't be possible, or dogs wouldn't eat that miyeuww!", he often says to sleek Felina who lives next door. No, he vastly prefers what is on the dinner-table of the humans that go with his house. And if he could, he would sell his tail for a plate of shrimps.

Quite an ordinary and good-natured cat.

But....

... once a year...

... The ....

... Change...

... comes over him ...

... and he ...

...goes out in the Night...

... as the ....

... ferocious ....

Midnight Stalker

... and he ..

... hunts!

:eek:

:D

:lol: :cat:

Charlie

M Douglas
10-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Charlie. I love it and the cute story as well.

Melodie

Mario V
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Charlie, I will not be able to sleep tonight :D:D:D

fantastic!!!!!

bchlvr
10-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Well done cat Debbie...good colors!

Charlie like all the colors in your cat and those eyes!

robertsloan2
10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Charlie! The story and the painting are wonderful together! I love the colors, you got so much rich color into the lovely black fur, and those fiery eyes are compelling! What a glorious hunter! Your cat rules. He looks like he was painted by vampires... by someone who can see color in dim light as brilliant as by day (a fictional conceit applied by Anne Rice and many others).

K Taylor-Green
10-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Charlie, this fantastic, creepy, and gorgeous!! Amazing rendition.

Semele
10-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Thank you Robert for your very kind words. I also like to be in the woods at night. I used to sneak out at night and spend time in the woods by myself as a little girl. I guess I wasn't thinking scary, as much as I just fixated on the symbols of night (and Halloween). Thank you again.

Mario, it's amazing how your cat's eyes glow! And the background is truly magical.

Tracy, what can I say? Truly in the spirit of the challenge! And yes, definitely scary. I like the almost-black roses -- nice touch.

Debbie, nice color contrasts. You really pulled it together with color.

Charlie, I'm blown away. Now that is a scary kitty! As a matter of fact, I hesitate to call him kitty; I'm more tempted to call him "sir"! Outstanding. :clap:

snowfall
10-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi

Spooky greetings to everyone. Here is my contribution. I love all the stuff done so far - especially the kitty cats.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2008/142898-pics_black_cat_001.jpg

Hope to post some more to this thread.
Pam

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Pam, your cat is sweet! I love the white whiskers and glistening beautiful eyes. I used the reference once in watercolor before I started mine and do need to do this cat myself, seeing so many great examples. You captured the fur texture and soft highlights well without sacrificing the blackness of the cat, they're very subtle highlights with beautiful fur texture. Love the nose and muzzle. Such delicate work, I can feel the cat's breath. I've also got the black nose of my Siamese to compare with, since he was right on my chair a moment ago, and that nose and muzzle are just right.

Great sense of motion too. You caught the cat lunging forward in the instant before he leaps out of the picture to give just a streak of black tummy fur en route.

I must do this cat properly in pastel. If anyone wants to see my preliminary watercolor, I'll post it. Or wait till I do the cat and put it in the post as a stage.

Semele
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Robert, I'm always interested in seeing what people do for underpaintings. I'd like to see the watercolor.

GaryNorthants
10-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Great stuff everyone, time is too short to comment individually but :clap: to all.
I hope to get some more in before the end of the month but in the meantime,
I WANT TO PLAY A GAME........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2008/106728-Sun12thOct.jpg
Gary :wave:

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM

This isn't an underpainting, it was an ACEO in its own right that I did partly to plan out the composition and my color choices. More of a preliminary to become familiar with the reference and make some decisions. I knew I wanted to do the cat in pastel, but wasn't sure about how strong I wanted to make the highlights. So I painted this on the 1st when I first saw the thread. Watercolor goes very fast and easy for me sometimes.

Now I want to do this cat in pastels, and feel more familiar with the reference.

bchlvr
10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Beautiful cat Pam...very realistic!

Gary...great Halloween Portrait!

Robert...very well done...wouldn't have guessed it was watercolor without your say so and looking very closely.

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow, thanks! I had a little fun with the background using an iridescent Daniel Smith watercolor, and used a little interference green in the eyes for emphasis.

Here is my second black cat, this one is for the Halloween Riot! Stage One is a sketch in white charcoal pencil because the black charcoal sketch did not show well enough on black Colourfix...

Size is 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and I may be doing this as a Bi-Weekly Challenge piece too, have primaries, black and white out. Considering using a light blue instead of white, but I can mix a light blue using the white and white will mix better with a mixed green in the eyes. May have to do some fiddly Colour Shaper work with it to make it work in the eyes.

And here are my five colors: blue, red, yellow, white and black. I chose a purplish bright blue, a true red and a lemon yellow for best mixing. I also finally dared to deliberately break the sticks. It gave me more corners. I never break sticks on purpose, that was just a habit of mine not to do so. But I'm starting to think it was a dumb habit.

I took a photo of all five broken sticks and then remembered that last time I wished I'd just sensibly used the white charcoal pencil for my white and thus not cheated with an extra stick. So imagine that white stick is a General's white charcoal pencil. It's the same hue!

Strong blue highlights blocked in but not dulled, muted or whitened. I'm considering doing this cat with a black background, just using the Colourfix for background since he stands out so well with it. But his coat needs more shine, time for the white to come back in! Then the blue mid-tone highlights will not look as stark.

He's going faster and better than I thought he would! Especially if I keep the black background and keep it simple. His visible eye is finished, I put most of this work into getting his eye right before blocking in blue highlights and putting some red into his ears, then toned that darker by blending it down.

robertsloan2
10-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Finished my cat! I toned down the blue a lot and worked in some neutrals here and there. After using fixative, I needed to brighten up some areas as the darkest values vanished into black. There is a little color smudged into the right but it vanished mostly in the black, which was okay since I hadn't liked how it came out. Black Cat at Night, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" on black Colourfix with black, blue, red and yellow Mont Marte soft pastels and a white charcoal pencil.

Colorix
10-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Melodie, Mario, Linn, Robert, Katherine, Semele, thank you!!! Funny, I was simply *playing* with this one, and it turned out well. It is the ‘eleventyfifth’ time that happens. One day I will learn to play with them all! I tried to make the cat more mysterious than actually scary, as cats can be spooky, but not really scary. :-) Forgot to say it is roughly 8x8", on black Canson Mt, and that TL deep purple/aubergine is 'blacker' than black! That is, more luminous.

Pam, beautiful cat!

Gary, I’d not like *that* playmate.... “Would you buy a used car from this man.” Great rendering, though!

Robert, aw, your wee kitty is looking cuddly, and longhaired. Just like my little b/w neighbor, who ignores all people but his own folks.

Kathryn Wilson
10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
All the black kitties are looking fantastic!

Gary - what kind of game are you wanting to play? He is so spooky, I wouldn't play a game with him!!

snowfall
10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
robert - thanks. I wanted to try and achieve a soft furry look with delicate highlights. I am glad you think the nose and muzzle are right. I really struggled to try and draw this, I rubbed out it so many times i wasn't sure whether there would be any more tooth left on the paper to actually put pastel on. I love your 'Black Cat at Night'.

gary - stop it, you're scaring me! You've captured the expression extremely well, the eyes are definately the key to this painting.

bchlvr - thanks.

Charlie - thanks, your cat from your earlier post was fantastic, as per your usual excellent standard.

Pam

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the compliments! Charlie, I love cats so much I couldn't help his coming out more fluffy and loving than scary. Though I look back at my watercolor preliminary one and he looks meaner... Black Cat at Night really has more cuddle factor.

I may want to do this cat again larger later on, I had so much fun with him.

Rusla
10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Great pictures everyone. I am so behind this month. After this week I should be able to get some done.

Randi-Lee

bchlvr
10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Robert...great cat in pastel!

K Taylor-Green
10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
All the kitties are wonderfully done!
Gary, I love this piece! Very spooky!

robertsloan2
10-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Linn and Katherine.

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
And here it is, Moonlit, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" on dark blue Canson Mi-Tientes (smooth side) with five Cretacolor pastel pencils: Zinc White, Ivory, English Red, Payne's Grey and Ivory Black.

I love this challenge. I may be doing more Halloween theme ones as I've still got lots of month ahead!

bchlvr
10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Beautiful job on your Halloween Night Robert!

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks! It was so much fun putting pastel almost exactly the color of the paper on -- and then seeing it in action when I blended. That was the silly fun part of this one.

scall0way
10-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow, lots more cool cats here. Charlie, your cat's eye is hypnotic. Pam I love your cat too - both fabulous close-ups. I like Robert's too, though I really loved him with the intense blue. :) Gary, *great* portrait! And Robert, nice moonlit night. Really seeing some fun stuff here.

robertsloan2
10-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks, Debbie! I considered keeping the intense blue, and might do him again with it. I really like that reference.

GaryNorthants
10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
A couple more old horror film favourites from my dailys
Gary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2008/106728-Mon13thOct.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2008/106728-Tues14thOct.jpg

robertsloan2
10-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Way cool, Gary! I loved Vincent Price. Those movies ruled.

K Taylor-Green
10-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Fantastic work, Gary! I used to love the oldies, too.

Robert,your moonlit scene is very spooky, and very well painted. That is the one I want to do, if I ever get time!!!

robertsloan2
10-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks, Katherine!

SandyRGA
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Hello,
I've had a go at the spooky moon scene. It made good use of my new Schminke white pastel (for the moon). Oops the pine trees are leaning over, maybe they're afraid of the bluish tree.

I've enjoyed looking at all the paintings, this was a great idea for a project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2008/114916-halloween.jpg

Oh, this is on dark blue Mi-Teintes paper.

Sandy

robertsloan2
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I like your leaning pines, they've got character! Interesting the way you changed the reddish tree to a bluish one. Very barren and cold and spooky.

GaryNorthants
10-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I used to be a werewolf but I'm alright nowooooooo!! lol
Pastel on La Carte about 9x6
Gary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2008/106728-Sat18thOct.jpg

Colorix
10-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Gary! LOL! Only reply I have is

Wherewolf? Therewolf!

GaryNorthants
10-20-2008, 12:02 AM
I love wordplay, superb answer Charlie lmao here :clap:

robertsloan2
10-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Werewolf workin in the werehouse? Love it, Gary. That rocks! Great likeness too. The red eyes really make it!

robertsloan2
10-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Cross-posted from the Bi-Weekly Challenge: Abstractions: the scariest painting I have ever done to date:

Close your eyes and the black cat comes out of the reference. Then he's painted in your head, on the inside of your eyelids where all the nightmare shapes form when you can't get to sleep too well.

Tracy Lang
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Lot's of great additions since I last checked in!

Debbie, Snickers is adorable and has quite the look in his eyes.

Charlie, Absolutely loved the story and your painting...colors are fab, but, it's the eye that really gets me.

Pam, Your fur texture is wonderful and you really captured a great expression in his eye.

Robert, you have been a busy kitty painter :) I have enjoyed all of them, but my favorite is the "ghostly one".

Gary, your characters are awesome and definitely bring back some spooky memories...my fav is the werewolf...very scary stuff :)

Sandy, lovely spooky moon scene- the Schminke worked perfectly for you!

Tracy

Tracy Lang
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Okay, less than a week to go :)

Finally got this one off the easel...Yikes, it is so much easier to do silhouettes digitally:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2008/75377-HalloweenRiot2.jpg

Tracy

Colorix
10-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Robert, it works, the afterimage is dark! and *that* was a creepy sentence! =:-O :-)

Tracy, it is fab! Wow! Gorgeous forms on the ravens, and spiky dead tree-limbs reaching ooooooouuuuut to grab.... Love the wonderful colour-perspective on the land!

K Taylor-Green
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Robert, that is wonderful! Truly scary.
Tracy, yours has a crisp feel about it that I like, but spooky none the less.
Great job so far for everyone!

robertsloan2
10-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Tracy, I love the haunting feel of yours. The silhouettes must have driven you crazy, but doing that in pastels instead of digital gives it a different feeling, one that has some edging over into borderlands and makes me smile. I'm weird. I like the weird. It's beautiful.