PDA

View Full Version : Technique on painting water flowing over rocks

SharonC
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I have class in the morning with PeggyB and I am working on a piece. The photo was one of hers and it has a stream flowing over rocks, and I have never painted rocks or water flowing over rocks. Learning two techniques in one painting, the old addage killing two birds with one stone. The rocks I have painted look ok, I know she will give me a few suggestions in the morning and they will take on a new life, but my water:eek: really needs help and I would like to paint tonight after I get home from work and make it look better for class than it did when I hung up my pastels at 12:30 last night. I have typed in water, waterfalls etc. in search so far I have not found a post with waterfall in the title. HELP!!!
Sharonc

Bringer
09-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi,

Hope these will help you :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6jBEPc0tHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdEXHvQ0gY&feature=related

http://community.how-to-draw-and-paint.com/video/video/show?id=2036495%3AVideo%3A432065

I got these results by typing : waterfall pastel on Google.
Note that you can use sentences between "" to get specific results.

Kind regards,

Josť

SharonC
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Thank You!!I viewed each of the ones you posted and I will look for more. I was originally looking on the Wet Canvas Website, duh, did not think to Google. I will post my picture after my class tomorrow.
Sharonc

PeggyB
09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
and she did a great job of finishing that painting in class this morning! :thumbsup: Thanks for the suggestions Jose.

Peggy

SharonC
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank You Peggy, your added touches and suggestions really helped. I still need to work on the Nanimo Bar rock, I am at work so cannot work on the piece, but thought I would attach a scan of my project. I loose a bit of the detail when I scan so the tree trunk disappears and more, but you get the idea.

robertsloan2
09-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I love the rippling surface of the water under the waterfall. It's looking good!

jemgold
10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Sharon,
I think your waterfall is very good. I love the cascading over the rocks

Colorix
10-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Looking very good, in fact, looking like *water*! You did great!

SharonC
10-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Robert ,Carolyn ,Charlie, and Peggy. I cannot express how much fun I am having getting back into being creative and with pastels. I cannot get creative with payroll and billing, and I am a bit burned out with weaving.

Bringer
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi Sharon,

Your water looks great, especially the sensation of transparency and depth over the riverbed.

Kind regards,

Josť

SharonC
10-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey thanks Jose, I just popped in between work duties and saw your post.

PeggyB
10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
.....and I am a bit burned out with weaving.

Hey everyone you should see Sharon's woven baskets! They are absolutely, incredibly beautiful! :thumbsup: Furthmore, she donates them to her favorite charity auctions even though they take her dozens of hours to create. Maybe we can get her to show us some of them.

peggy