GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Confedrate (WIP)
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Like an idiot, I decide to have trees in the background and use oil paint. Can't paint trees and always swore against oil paint, but what the hey`

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Where I don't have any confidence in trees, landscape and anything dealing with nature, do I need to get more detail on the trees in the back of the right background, or do I need to have it more simplified? Let me know, I need some of your expertise help on this before I continue to the left side.

Aselka
07-28-2002, 03:58 AM
I do not thnk that there is somthing worng with folliage. It looks OK.
Though I find it a bit "feminine" as a background for confederate painting. In such paintings , people usually expect to see battle feild as background, some signs of that epoch, etc, or some symbolical hints on war tragedy (dark skies, cloudes).
I also find that body propotions of a character are distorted and face.

Good luck,
Kepp us posting,

Aselka

jerryW
07-28-2002, 11:18 AM
this reminds me of the troubles I have had trying to get new technology projects off the ground.
the financiers are interested (in making money but they claim to like the project) and want to see results in the smallest fundable portion of the total picture in order to decide whether to contine.

unfortunately the effort in producing a small fragment as a mock-up either really requires the full tooling up or the fragment ends up being a separate concept.

here you have 3 separate projects looking for commitment, the trees, the soldier, and the rest.

Parts of the picture are advancing without the rest of it.
If you get continued support what results will you have?

It is best to begin with commitment and do the whole thing together. final detailing in isolated sections with out a vision of the whole leads to fragmentation.

I have seen some artists do this successfully but it involves a strict hermetic (engineering) approach and severe limitations in the overal project as relates to brush size and a limited prearranged set of palet choices.

mcknight
07-28-2002, 12:42 PM
I agree with aselka, the trees of the background seem too place the soldier in too gentle a context.

Dave

Pam B.
07-28-2002, 11:31 PM
How are you working? eg: a photo, imagination........ It seems you are jumping from section to section here without an overall feel for your work which will inevitibly end in fragmentation and disapate the strength of your piece. Detailing is not always necessary, you need to feel what you are painting then allow that to transfer to the canvas. Perhaps take it a little easier on yourself, let go and don't try so hard. Keep us posted! Keep painting!