PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 29 Thru Oct 5

K Taylor-Green
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Holy cow! Sept is almost over! I can't believe it! But it is a nice Monday morning, so welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the events of our everyday lives.

My second Lab had her litter Saturday night. There are 6 boys and 4 girls. Momma and babies doing fine, and are in the new puppy house! I could actually put an air mattress inside to rest on as spent the entire night birthing puppies.
Not too shabby.
So I now have 19 Lab puppies on the premises. Thank God, most of them are spoken for.

How was everyone's weekend?

robertsloan2
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Aww that sounds fun, you must really like your Labs!

We have a new cat. I have had my cat Ari for eight years, he was six weeks old when I first got him. But a two year old tiny tortie approached my daughter as she was coming back from the store and explained to her that she is a House Cat and needs a House of her own.

Gemini is a sweetie and she loves everybody. She even lets my four year old granddaughter pet her, and she is the most patient feline I've ever met. We have to defend her because she won't claw the chlid even if being dragged by the leg or head like a stuffed animal. She's small and lovable and spayed, so we won't be getting kittens. But I think she's decided Sascha is her kitten.

Paula Ford
09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
:eek: 19 puppies at once!! WOW, now that's a lot of puppies. I just love babies!!

I'm a kitty person too Robert. We have 4 sweet little ones. My oldest is 18 and is still going strong and plays like a kitten every day.

Am off on vacation starting Wednesday a.m., so have a great week! We'll see you next Tuesday or so...

Deborah Secor
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Yikes--19 pups! Have fun, Kate. Glad it's all paying off... :thumbsup:

Kitten pictures always welcome, Robert!

I'm busy with my blog today, as well as planning things for the post-IAPS workshop I'm offering next year. I don't give too many workshops anymore so I'm out of practice, but the art studio that hosts my classes is helping me on this one. It seems so far in advance, but people are making their flight reservations in advance to lock in airfares, it seems, so we're trying to get it all nailed down. It'll be a small group and I'm sure it'll be fun! I'm hoping folks that come in from some far-flung places can join me! (I already have 3 signed up! :D)

I'm also doing an interview for The Artist's Mag with an artist from Australia. I wasn't familiar with his work but it's really wonderful--and pastels, too!

So I'm off an running this week... :wave:
Deborah

CM Neidhofer
09-29-2008, 01:54 PM
:eek: Oh my gosh....19 puppies!!! I would just LOVE it!! I love dogs but don't have one. We have a cat also. She was Bruce's before I moved in. It's taken a long time to get past my evil, wicked step-mother status with her!! lol She was pretty much a wild cat from a litter that he helped remove from under someone's house just after hurricane Katrina, so of course, her name is....Kat!! She's a wild thing at times. I relate her to a little girl who's been raised by her father without a mother....lol Tomboy!! I've been trying to turn her into a little gentler version, but not with much luck. She just looks at me and blinks. lol As someone once told me, dogs come when you call them, cats take a message and get back to you....maybe!!! lol :cat:

Have a great vacation, Paula!

Christine

robertsloan2
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2008/70184-Gemini07crop.jpg

Here she is! I cropped this just to the cat, the original photo showed most of my art corner with Gemini about in the middle. I love her markings. She's a sweetie and purrs if anyone touches her. She's 8 pounds, but very compact and looks like she's maybe all of about 4 pounds, with very tiny feet.

Now when I go upstairs for a bath or a shower, I have two furry lifeguards watching me brainlessly go in water and get wet. Both of them are still concerned that I might have lost my mind with all the water soaking. They know better than to get in the tub, but they sit nearby watching with worried looks on their little faces.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2008/70184-Ari_Looking_Up_smaller_robertsloan2.jpg

This is Ari Cat, my eight year old personal muse and devoted Siamese Samurai. He's much bigger than she is, he's 12 pounds of lean cat under much fluffy fur, and has huge paws. You can't see them in this photo, but he has pale long tufts between each of his toes on the underside of his feet. This means if he's on linoleum or wood, he gets no traction. One of his favorite games is to run at the kitchen as fast as he can on the carpeted living room floor, then skid on his fluffy feet and skate on the floor.

Anyone who'd like to use these photos for references, please do! Enjoy. I feel I ought to share to give something back for all the WC members who post such wonderful references in threads and in the Reference Library!

meowmeow
09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
19 puppies!!!! Only you, Kate! I bet they are real cute!!!!!

HAven't been around much...more family stuff going on. Just an unbelievable year for us but we are wading through it. Hubby's brother, who was 52 and living with their mother in Florida, got sick and died rather suddenly in August. WE had to go down and tend to things and have since brought her up to Maine to an assisted living near us. She is settling in but it's been crazy, to say the least. Anyhow...I finished a painting a week or so ago, right before we left to get her (second trip down to Miami during Hurricane season...not recommended) and have started another one. Plus I will be taking an encaustic painting workshop this weekend. So I am working on getting back to my art.

Sounds like everyone has been busy and is essentially okay here. I hope so at least!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
Welcome, Robert! It's nice to have a new face here. Yes, we love our Labs. My husband hunts and we run hunt tests with them. Loads of fun.

Paula, have a great vacation!

Deborah, I know just how you feel. I am running as we speak!

Christy, Be careful, I may ship you one!

meowmeow
Oohh...kitties were posted while I was posting...great photos!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Sandy, we crossed! Yeah, only me. But our pups are very popular, and I love raising them.

Robert, what cute kitties!

IdahoHat
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Pups, Kats, babies. We seem to all be mushes with animals and babies. They are such companions, though. Glad Iris is fixed and won't be presenting us with any pups. I took her for her walk today and she resisted my every attempt to speed her up for a "brisk" walk. However, she would go on a walk a dozen times a day if I took her, just don't ask her to walk any faster than her normal plod. Here she is parked where she always is if I am in the office. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2008/93947-Iris.jpg

I think I will join the 1-hour sketch challenge after I sign off of WetCanvas. Have a couple of oil plein airs to post over there in that forum and then, I'm anxious to get back to pastels for the day.

Deborah, I received my first magazine of the new subscription to Pastel Journal and have enjoyed it immensely. I start with the front cover and read over every page one-by-one all the way through to the back cover.:lol: Love it and am about 1/4 way through. Try to digest everything a little at a time.
Have a great week everybody.

Winny Kerr
09-29-2008, 09:17 PM
19 puppies, goodness gracious. That is a lot of work. I used to breed German Shepherds and Pembroke Welsh Corgi's but never had so many all at once. Those days are long gone though, we are now pet free, love to watch the wild critters around our house.
Have a safe and wonderful vacation Paula.
Winny

Deborah Secor
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Love the kitty pix, Robert, and Harriett your Iris looks like quite a character! :D

Nice to see you here, Sandy--so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your m-i-l is happy in her new location. You all have had quite a time lately. Hang in there and get some easel time in!

After a day of going back and forth via e-mail with a lot of discussion and questions to iron out, I was AMAZED to find out that the art school that's going to host my two-day workshop after the IAPS convention next year will only be asking--get this--$75 per person!!! At first I was taken back, but after we 'talked', it makes such perfect sense to me. I guess my ego got in there for a minute...but in this economy where everyone is tightening their belts, this group wants people to be able to take workshops and classes to involve the community in gathering together and growing! Kewl, huh? It means accepting more students, but I have 20 at the moment and find it very energizing and fun to have so many different people in the classroom. I hope the folks who plan to come to IAPS can squeeze in a couple more days for the workshop. Sometimes when times are rough it's good to have a time and place set aside for pure entertainment and fun, I think! That's often what painting is for folks... so I think it's really neat that the school wants to do this.

I have a final critique this week and--foolish me--I've invited everyone to come to my house for it! Man, I need to start organizing the place NOW! I suddenly realize how small my living room is, and wonder how we'll seat 20 people (though not all will come, I suspect.) What was I thinking??? :eek:

Deborah

meowmeow
09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
$75 for a 2 day workshop is a great deal...I can see where that would have thrown you at first, Deborah. But yyou are right that people need to be able to do these things and it is so hard right now.

I tried posting a painting yesterday but was unable to get it to work. I'm going to try again now. I assume it was a WC glitch...I havent' changed anything on my computer. I think I had a problem a few weeks ago but got it to work finally.
Oh well! The wonders of modern technology.

Sandy

ChristyLB
09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I recently paid $75 for an upcoming pastel workshop, for only four hours! I feel like I am missing something! (Kidding. I'm not complaining at all, I can't wait for the workshop!)

19 puppies! WOW! My future dream includes owning a house with a decent-sized back yard (the dream is on hold while the economy topples... sigh), and my ultimate dream includes two labs: one black, and one white (yellow). My scaled-down dream is springer spaniels, as they are a bit smaller than labs (since my yard is not likely to be that huge, especially if we buy around here).

Lost of parentheses in that paragraph, but I don't feel like editing!

Last week was SO BUSY, culminating in a weekend where my in-laws visited, I helped to throw a baby shower, and last but definitely not least, my son was baptized. We also went to dinner for my birthday (which is tomorrow). I did not have any time for painting last week, which made me sad!

This week is already looking up. I got a little art time yesterday, will try to squeeze some in during the days through Thursday. Friday afternoon I am packing up and heading to a spa near Palm Springs. I'll bring my pastels, hopefully I'll be able to paint. I'll have the baby with me, and it'll be 100+ degrees outside, but if I can, I will!

Have a great week everyone! :)

Shirl Parker
10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Did everyone take the day off yesterday?

Artistammy
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow! Can't imagine having that many puppies. One is enough for me.
Cute kittens.
Sandy, I wondered where you'd been. Sometimes it seems life conspires against time for art.
Deborah, I'm hoping I can come for the convention & workshop. I mentioned it to my husband just this week. I wish the economy was doing better.
I've ended up with a backache that's really driving me crazy. I've got a DR's appt this afternoon. I hope he can help me get rid of it. Three weeks is long enough!

robertsloan2
10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
What was October 1st for people to take it off, Shirl? I live on disability so of course I had it off. But it was Theme Week listing day at eBay, so of course I didn't and spent all day drawing and painting ACEOs on the theme of "In the Shadows." Considering I suggested that theme, I was all thrilled my suggestion won and managed to do all the ideas I had for it.

Today I need to work on my website. But I want to get some art in too and relax.

Last night at one thirty in the morning, little Gemini discovered my grandkids' battery operated alphabet teaching toy. It's like an oversize keypad with the letters, and if you press one a computerized female voice says "J, Jaguar starts with J" and things like that. So at one thirty, long after both grandkids were sound asleep, I hear this thing go off. J. Then I. Then G.

My cat Ari looks up, ears perked, confused. My daughter and son in law were upstairs sleeping and even if the dogs could manipulate it, they were upstairs too sleeping. So that left one possible alphabet learner -- Gemini.

Ari went in to keep her company and they played with it till about four in the morning. Our cats are learning to type. Next thing they'll want to use the computer...

IdahoHat
10-02-2008, 10:01 PM
What smart and inventive kitties! However, you might want to put the toy away at bedtime and only let them play with it during the day....:lol:

Please pardon me for being a little thick, but, what are ACEOs?

Deborah - Yes, Iris is quite a character. When we travel she goes to Steve's B&B (our son's home) and rules the roost over there, but she steers very clear of their calico Callie who let her know at first meeting that "cats rule and dogs drool." Anyway, Callie likes the backs of couches and chairs, whereas Iris prefers the cushions, so it works out.

I dearly wish I could go to the convention, but it isn't in the budget this year. Maybe next.

robertsloan2
10-02-2008, 10:09 PM
ACEOs are Art Cards Editions & Originals, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" artworks that can be sold as well as traded. The acronym was invented on eBay by bone*diva, who didn't want to call them ATCs since ATC purists (Artist Trading Cards) were only meant to be traded among artists. ACEOs can be sold to collectors. I tend to do both. I love working in very small sizes, even in pastels.

Yep, both cats are very smart. Ari used to type a lot in chat rooms when he was a baby kitten and his paws weren't so big he can't strike just one key at a time. He could understand that his typing made marks on the screen, and that the screen responded by other lines of type answering his posts. So he loved hanging out in the writing chat I belonged to at the time. When he got too big for that, he started sitting next to the computer thwacking the mouse with his tail.

He got very good at opening new browser windows with his tail and once managed it with two different computers because I had both mice on the same mousepads. When we moved to Colorado years later he was so confused when he chased a small rodent, because my housemate and I were calling it a "mouse." He looked up to say "But that isn't a mouse. It's not connected to anything and doesn't open windows on the monitor! What are you talking about?"

Shirl Parker
10-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi Robert, the reference to "day off" was because no one posted a message to this thread that whole day. A bit unusual, and my attempt at humor. Obviously, no one got it.

Deborah Secor
10-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Did everyone take the day off yesterday?

:lol: I got it--but I had two days off! Meaning I had two days on doing a LOT of other stuff! I had 15 women here at my house yesterday for a final critique and class potluck lunch. Boy, you should have seen the food piled in this kitchen! We eat like queens when we do these... and the critique was a really good one, too.

:wave: I'm off to organize things for a city-wide homeless outreach that's happening here tomorrow. My husband and I are heading up a small team of folks to go there and hand out clothing & Bibles and just talk to people. I need to mastermind breakfast burritos for ten people!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Shirl! I guess I was off! It was really quiet here, wasn't it?

Robert, you may have to get those kitties a computer of their own!

Tammy, hope the doc can help your back. Mine bothers be badly at times. But it is usually when I over do.

Deborah, what can I say? You are busier than I am!

Puppies are all growing like weeds. The first group are starting to toddle around and have their eyes open. They are expecting their first set of visitors this weekend as potential clients are coming.
Second set sleep, eat, and you know what!
Both mommas are eating like pigs, to keep the milk flowing, and I oversee all happenings and clean up all messes!
In between all that, I am working on a commission, caring for three grandchildren three days a week, and trying to keep up with the house and kennels!
By the time all these pups go to their new homes, I'll be a basket case! But I do so enjoy them while they are here.

Deborah Secor
10-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Uh, no, Kate--you certainly take the BUSIEST prize this week! :lol: I couldn't cope with puppies and grandkids... Right now I'll stick with critiques and crusades!

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Sounds like everyone is having a busy week!

We have been having a problem with our internet service and it turns our that the telephone lines (including DSL) in our "new" older house are not up to standard, so we found someone who can run new lines for the internet. He was supposed to come out on Tuesday to do that, but had a heart attach:eek: -- not a serious one but enough to keep him off work for a few days. He's coming Sunday instead.

ON Wed we took a couple paintings to the Art Alliance for the Pastel Society Show starting today, and some other errands etc. before heading out to get our flu shots -- I was amazed, no long lines :clap: ! We were so used to standing in line for at least a half hour in Missouri. Nice!

Today I'm washing clothes, then going to Target to get gift cards for my grand-daughter-in-law and my son, whose birthdays are coming up. Then to the Art Alliance reception late this afternoon. This will be my first show entry here in NM, so I'm just kind of dipping my toe in the water:wink2:. I have so much to discover here.

The annual Balloon Fiesta starts this evening. The weather forecasts are for winds today and for tomorrow when it really kicks off, so I hope that doesn't mess things up too much. My back won't stand for me to go to the Fiesta Park, but maybe we can find a parking lot somewhere where we can at least get a long distance view of the liftoffs. Winds will be from the SW, so they will be heading in the opposite direction from where we live.

Next week start pastel classes on Thursday. I still have to find my way to the location....got all twisted up the last time we tried:rolleyes:

CindyW
10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes, the Balloon Fiesta! Dot, I had heard of it many years ago...my mom was able to visit relatives there in October in the late 80s and took some beautiful pix of the balloons as they took to the skies. It must be quite a spectacular scene to see all those balloons lift up and fill the skies out there! :)

Deborah Secor
10-03-2008, 07:24 PM
It's Fiesta, all right. I just ran over to the grocery store and at 3 in the afternoon it was a total madhouse! EVERYONE has someone coming in from out of town, I think. I'm kinda glad we'll be heading downtown for the Outreach--it should be among the quieter places in town!

Dot, with the 'Albuquerque Box' (winds) working they'll come your way, too! Sooner or later you'll hear the roar of propane burners overhead...it's a sure sign of fall in NM.

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Deborah, I read about that in this morning's paper after I sent this. I was so glad to hear they'll be coming this way:)!

ElsieH
10-04-2008, 11:25 AM
:wave: Hi, All,
My, my, my! 19 pups, cats, mother-in-laws, workshops!
Looks like I am not the only one who got caught in the rush of life this week!
Yikes, it's Saturday and I've not even posted on the Scrumble!

We have a resident cat here....Actually a resident cat here has us!
Uriel Kitty-Cat is an 8 year old cat who came into our lives one wintery day after he had been found OUTSIDE crying by a friend. After trying to find an owner, they gave up and Urie was ours. Over the years we have had several family cats, and it all started with the first who came with an angel name:Lucifer! He was anything be a devil angel, he was heavenly. Then came Gabriel who was a little stinker who kept getting into trouble...some angel! Many "cat-tastrphies!" Then Raphrial, or "Raffie". So, of course, we had to come up with a new angel name: after internet searches on angels, we came down to Michael or Uriel. Since Uriel is the angel responsible for the earth, we decided it fit perfectly! Urie owns us, manages us, inspires us! Who could ask for more.:heart: :cat:

Oh, my week.....it all started fine with crockpots full of applebutter. Then some sort of virus hit!....not a computer one, a sick, sick, sick one! :eek:
I am just creeping back into life! For four days the pastels were not even picked up!
So we can consider this the end of this week or the start of next week! :lol:

Artistammy
10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Dot, I feel for you. New houses come with all kinds of unexpected problems which is one reason I don't want to move (among a myriad of others).
The Dr. mentioned he was afraid I've got a compression fracture to my lower back & sent me for an x-ray. Of course, being Thurs when I got it I've not heard a report yet. I'm spending my time sitting with a heat pad & Tylenol. When the pain is better I can still paint. :)
Tammy

robertsloan2
10-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Sorry to hear that, Tammy. I hope the heating pad and Tylenol are helping. Maybe if the x-rays come back showing a fracture, your doctor will give you some stronger pain medication.

Uriel sounds like a wonderful cat, Elsie! Sometimes great cats just walk up by themselves and meow and become lifelong friends. Cool naming tradition you've got there with the angels. I named Ari after an ancient Greek comedian, Aristophenes.

bnoonan
10-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Whew - i'm tired just reading all your posts. So I'll just say that I personally find Fall to be an interesting time of year - I take on more than I can possibly achieve and yet I get a burst of energy with the cooler temps.

May all your projects come out grand. If you're sick - may you heal quickly. Let the cats grow strong in their winter coats and the puppies be well fed by mom. May your classes be full as are your larders and may the creative juices flow deep.

Me... I'm hoping for a bolt of lightening to inspire me for the deadline which looms all too close. Off to go meditate, sketch and view the threads for inspiration.

My best to all.

Oh and Deborah... having spent time with you in a teaching situation, anyone who takes your workshops is getting a bargain!!!

Barb

robertsloan2
10-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Barb, what great blessings for the day! Thank you. Ari Cat is getting fine and shaggy in his silky winter coat and sheds many Cat Hairs of Inspiration on you and everyone here. (I wear black so that everyone I meet can tell that I'm owned by a Siamese.)

Deborah, your workshops are a real bargain. I've been looking at your art and reading your stuff and wow, yes, I would love to be able to take one someday. Must become more prosperous, sell books, get power chair...

meowmeow
10-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Tammy, take care of yourself. Compression fracture is nothing to laugh at...I'm sure you know.

I just finished up a 2 day encaustic painting workshop....done by a neighbor I met a few months ago. REally enjoyable...not sure how much I will do it since you need to be in a well ventilated area and my studio isn't...but it was great fun. Good for me to work in a less realistic fashion for a change and try a new medium.

Sandy