PDA

View Full Version : "The 688 is Late!" now complete! Wheee!

Roger Evans
09-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Okay, my personal living hell is now over. Wrapped this up this morning.

The WIP for this can be found here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518419

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2008/89662-train_finish.jpg

Larger views can be found on my website:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/train_late.html

http://www.rogerevans.tv/train_detail.html

This was fun and, really, only about 35 hours total but, honestly, I think it will be a while before I do another choo-choo.

Roger

Raymo
09-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Turned our very nice. Love the detail !

susme48
09-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I hate to keep repeating myself....but WOW!! Thanks again Roger...much appreciated!! I'll clean up your studio and get the extra chairs later today...:)

itsamistry
09-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you for sharing your talent it's been amazing to watch the painting come alive.

clementine
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
your train seems to run on the clouds!this adds a lot for me!very well done!:thumbsup:
clem

Lady Carol
09-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Fab-u-lous

Bizkit
09-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Holy Trains, Planes, and Automobiles.....this is supurb!!!!!! ANOTHER OUTSTANDING JOB ROGER!!!!!!!!

~~Kathleen
09-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Watching it come to life was so wonderful Rodger.
My thanks to you for sharing this WIP!
~~Kathleen

Linee
09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Great work!!! And fancy siggy. :)

Artchrispy
09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Masterful work and an extremely informative wip thread. Thanks.

Mixael
09-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Ah, the train is done! I am so glad to finally see it in it's finsihed glory!

I think this is better than superb, my friend! You are now my hero:clap:

In other words, I love it!

Michael

objectivistartist
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PattiLou
09-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Roger, this is an incredible finish!
I appreciate your WIP, which I looked forward to every day. It was very informative and interesting to watch how someone else works. Thanks for sharing.

AndyMcC
09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
WOW, it may have been hell to do but the painting is great :)

Roger Evans
09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Golllllly... Thank, everyone. I didn't know I had such a large audience watching this one. The most frustrating thing about this painting was simply that I had no time to work on it. All my other paintings were finished in a few days or, at the most, about 40-50 hours spread across one week. This one probably has only about 30-35 hours but took me a couple of weeks because I simply could not get away from my business to work on it. When I did have time, I was so tired that my hand wasn't steady enough to do the edge work. I love the look of metal in paintings but mechanical things always require a level of precision that trees and rocks and mountains do not. So, next, I think I'm just gonna paint a tree or something easy. And small. ;)

Thanks again, for all that kept vigil.

Roger

Katwyld
09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Excellent finish, Roger... and while you say it took you too long, I think you did it quite fast! Thanks for sharing the process with us. :)

ExpressiveAngie
09-27-2008, 09:12 PM
BRAVO! :clap:

Aires
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
It may have been hell for you to see this to completion but for those of us who have followed your progress, it is a wonderful rendition of those old trains that chugged and clanked through town, whistle blowing. Thanks for sharing a beautifully done painting.

gurleygirl
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
This is absolutely fabulous!
Tracey

OkeeKat
09-27-2008, 10:54 PM
WOW and WOW!!:clap:
This was an awesome WIP Roger!!
I Loved watching you paint this and was amazed at how easily you made it look, I'm still in awe.
Hope sometime in the near future you will do something small and Take a video of you painting. Your talent is amazing and I'm thankful you shared it with us!!
Just Magnificent!!:clap:

ponting
09-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Another absolure stunner Roger! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You keep me coming back time and again. I am thinking maybe it's time to do the Royal Hudson again...it's been a while and this has inspired me. :thumbsup:

Thanks ever so much, Dianna :wave:

chammi kaiser
09-28-2008, 04:41 AM
I have watched this process from start to finish . I am totally blown over by your fantastic talent. Wonderful wonderful work. I look forward to your tree!!!!!!!!!!

oicclouds
09-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Oh my! You are my hero! Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! Vicki

Roger Evans
09-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks, everyone. And thank you, Vicki! You must have really like it since you posted twice! (just kidding)

I took this to my gallery yesterday afternoon and had an offer on it before I could get it up on the wall. A customer in the shop checking out as I was carrying it in and she said her husband would love it for his study. So she's gonna bring him back over to look at it! Cool!

But I've already photographed it so that I can sell prints. I think I'll run an ad in some of the train enthusiasts magazines and websites.

Roger

Li'l Brown
09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Very cool. I've been showing my bf your progress pics too... most people would have no idea of the amount of work that goes into something like this. Thank you for sharing :)

Charlie's Mum
09-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Excellent that it's a) finished and b) probably sold!
I'm not surprised - it's a super piece :D

I keep thinking it's a bit of a ghost train - there being no signs of people and the appearance of snow/clouds - gives lots of atmosphere.

Thanks for the very informative WIP too :D

Roger Evans
09-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Excellent that it's a) finished and b) probably sold!
I'm not surprised - it's a super piece :D
Thanks!

I keep thinking it's a bit of a ghost train - there being no signs of people and the appearance of snow/clouds - gives lots of atmosphere.
Yeah, I had considered putting someone in the cab but I felt that a sillohuette of a person in the cab would just be too distracting and the engineer would not exactly be hanging out the window in cold weather. So I just left him out and decided to go with a warm glow from the cab windows.

Thanks for the very informative WIP too :D
My pleasure!

Roger

arl
09-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Really wonderful work. I love the way you did the metal on the train.

barb8j
09-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Doesn't surprise me that you had an offer before it was even hung! Fantastic painting, but then all your paintings re fantastic.:thumbsup:

I am in agreement with Kathie about you doing a video. Maybe sometime in the future you could arrrange one?

sveldstra
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Fantastic finish. Thanks again for letting me watch. Can't wait until the next one, it's a pleasure watching you work.:clap: :clap: :clap:

lilbelle
09-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Fabulous work Roger!!

*Violet*
09-28-2008, 07:12 PM
excellent !! ... :thumbsup:

Roger Evans
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks again, one and all. I have had mixed emotions about this painting. My original intent was to do something very atmospheric. But a couple of things happened. First off, my original comp with the train and falling snow and mist and steam made my wife and others go "Oh, look! The Polar Express!". So I backed off that idea a bit. Then when I was researching some things about the headlight, I talked to a guy that is pretty much an expert on trains and he said that the print market for locomotives is pretty hot, right now, and that the more detail, the better.

Sooooo.....

I had to make some decisions. My new target market wanted a lot of detail but I wanted a night scene. So that meant some sort of logical fill on the viewer side of the train, hence the large snow bank. But for the snow bank to work as a reflector, there needs to be a clear, full moon type of sky. Okay, fine. But if there are no clouds, then I can't very well have snow flurries floating about. If there are no snow flurries, then no need to have the train covered with snow, which would hide some of the precious detail that apparently floats the boat of my target market.

Which brings me to where I am now. I like the painting a lot and I love the detail. But, personally, I would love to have a snowy sky and mist and more atmosphere. So I'm going to let this one go "as is" for a while and see the response it gets from running ads in train magazines and the such. I love the clean, crisp, cold air look but if it doesn't seem to move, then don't be surprised if it shows up here again for a reworking to add snow and mist and other things that might add more atmosphere to it.

When that happens, I will add another comment to the Halloween thread about what's really scary. :eek:

Roger

Soul Expressions
09-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Wow that is awesome! I thought of Polar Express immediately! Love it.

Gilberte
09-29-2008, 04:49 AM
yes, yes, yes ... this is fabulous

amaze_1101
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
WOW Thats a pretty darn hefty piece of iron. VERY impressive work. Love the little bits of warmth amongst the all the cold.

scottsart
09-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Roger, this is awesome, much like all your other work!! Love watching your paintings unfold. Thanks for the WIP

LavenderFrost
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I love this painting!

Roger Evans
09-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks, all.

I'll probably do a small painting next, followed by another large one. On that I might do a time lapse, which I've wanted to do for a while. WIPs are fun but a video would be more informative, I think.

Roger

edrickart
09-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Good stuff - love the details, especially the cinders and sparks flying out into the night.
Nice one indeed.
Regards,
Paul