PDA

View Full Version : Illustration Board

Tazz
09-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Is Illustration Board a good base for Acrylic Paintings?

If so, how do you prepare it? Or do you need to?

Thanks for your help :wave:

jocelynsart
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I very much love illustration brd for acrylics. It does cause the paint to work more like a guoache, very dry and almost powdery. Or, it can be done in washes like watercolour. However, unlike wc, it's not rewettable.
I tend to use it on coldpress ill. brd and I use a lot of drybrush which creates nice visual texture on the surface. I'll post an image which was acrylic on ill. brd to demonstrate the look I mean. It has little washes, mostly more opaque layers of semi dry dragged paint as the method.

You can tint or tone the surface first too, before starting, which I did here, in a grey green if I recall. I linked to the thread too, incase some wip info may be useful. It's an old thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345270

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2008/8354-sophiewipdoneclose.jpg

Jocelyn

Tazz
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Now that's just STUNNING. What a beautiful and such a wonderful style. It's late here so I'll follow this thread tomorrow.

Thank you for your post, you certainly proved your point. If you don't mind, please check this thread again if you see it pop back up...I'm sure I'll have some questions. Again, that is a beautiful piece.

Cheers!

jocelynsart
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I will check, sure. I have done much acrylic on brd. since college, except this, but I can try to answer any questions that come up, sure. I really should do more as I love the look and the glow and the nice textures it always ends up with. Tinting the surface helps lots with the richness of the colours in the end, too.
Jocelyn

BeeCeeEss
09-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Wow! Beautiful work, as always, Jocelyn. Gorgeous work and a lovely model.

Do you prep your illustration board with anything? Or do you just begin working on it as is. I know you mentioned a toned surface, but I was wondering if you used any sealer such as diluted acrylic medium or gesso.

Beverly

jocelynsart
09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
No, I have not used a sealer or gesso on ill brd for acrylic the few times I've worked on it. I tint the canvas with a thin wash of tone so I'm not working on white. It's just a wash of acrylic but has a bit of blending medium in it, so it could act as a sealer then, in a way.
Thank you.