PDA

View Full Version : I have decided to Leave Pastels...

AliciaS
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
..This is my Dear John letter to you all---.
I just wanted to say, I have enjoyed pastels immensely..and I am not saying I will never do them again...oh I know I will
However...I am beginning the path I have desired truly since I began painting.

Oils.

All the encouragement I have received here has been great and very supportive.
I am moving on though.
I haven't contributed here in a long time, so I thought I would let those of you who want to know, what I have decided.
I have been painting up a storm with oils...
they are tricky for me and alot more technical.....but I love them.
I will certainly be lurking here because I enjoy all of your work.
Maybe if I do an occasional pastel I will post it.
Thanks again everyone for all your support.

Happy Painting!!!
Peace,
Alicia

Deborah Secor
09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
See ya, Alicia! Check in now and then to say hi and if you ever find time between paintings, I hope you'll give us a few critiques now and then!

:wave: Enjoy oils!

Deborah

artist_pw
09-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi:

Don't make it an "either/or" - I've heard a lot of people who flip between pastels and oils and cross train from both. I'm sure there are some images that benefit from a treatment in one or the other, and sometimes that's the fun of figuring out the best one for a particular scene. Maybe that will give you some help so that it doesn't feel quite like saying goodbye, maybe it's more like a little holiday! :)

PeggyB
09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
We all must do what we feel is right for us at any given time in our artistic life. No need for explanation or apology from anyone in this regard. Thank you though for letting us know where your journey is headed for the moment.

I know you'll do well in whatever medium you study Alicia.

Happy, Productive Painting to You To!

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Alicia, we will miss you! Don't be a stranger!

AliciaS
09-25-2008, 08:42 PM
See ya, Alicia! Check in now and then to say hi and if you ever find time between paintings, I hope you'll give us a few critiques now and then!

:wave: Enjoy oils!

Deborah

see ya deborah:wave: (as the ship sails away into the sunset)lol

thanks artistpw....oil will be the main focus....pastels will be a once in a while pleasure....thanks for the sugestion!!

thanks PeggyB
I appreciate that!!

When your a professional artist, I think it is wise to really focus on a medium and learn to excel in it.
I will be working hard to accomplish this.

AliciaS
09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Alicia, we will miss you! Don't be a stranger!

thanks!

nana b
09-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Alicia, we will really miss you but a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do! I understand, I like oils too! So paint, paint paint!!
I'll check in on the oil forum every once in a while to see what your up to! I won't say good-by but just "later".

nana

DAK723
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Alicia,

See you over in the oils or the figure forum. Your work has been and will continue to be an inspiration to all of us. I do, however, urge you to do both. I work with both pastels and oils and if you switch back and forth, not only will you stay mentally fresher, but you will learn things from one medium that you can apply to the other. They have much in common. At least that is the way I approach it!

For those who haven't seen Alicia's oils, I urge you to check out those forums. You will see that her oils are done with the same master's touch that she consistently has shown with her pastel paintings.

Don

Scottyarthur
09-25-2008, 10:20 PM
You will be truely missed, hope you will not be a stranger and will stop in once and a while to say hi. :) Take Care, Be Well, Be Safe.

Gail V
09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Alicia - What I think is once an artist, always an artist--it doesn't matter what medium you choose in your journey. From amazing pastel work to your already amazing oils. You are very gifted!! Can I just say how VERY fortunate I feel that I was able to take a class from you!!! Thank you for being such an inspiration!!!! And, even though I haven't tried oils (yet..... :-), you will always be an inspiration, regardless of what medium you choose.

nvcricket
09-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Alicia,

I wish you all the best on this new path you are embarking on.
I'll pop on over to see what you are posting over there from time to time.

Thank you so much for all you have given, and shared with us!

Keep those beauties coming!

CArol

AliciaS
09-25-2008, 11:15 PM
nana B-you are so very talented...i wish you all the best and hope you continue on your art career...

Don= thanks for the support...you have been so encouraging with you comments...and very opinionated I might add,,,which is not a bad thing//
I am too!!!

Scotty= you are a joy and a happy soul...I see that in your work..
keep going your doing great~~

Gail= your awesome...you do beautiful work....thanks for all your support!!

Carol- thanks to you as well...I appreciate the good wishes!!

alaskan rose
09-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I am also very interested to learn oils, Alicia, I'm actually hoping to get some very basic tutoring this fall. I have never done oils, but like you, they have always been something I've wanted to learn. I have been and will be checking in to see what your doing. Any advice would be much appreciated. (I will hopefully get to the point of doing on location alla prima landscapes someday) :rolleyes: Thanks and happy painting! :wave:

maw-t
09-26-2008, 02:26 AM
How exciting for you!.. I know you will do wonders in oils, you already have!!... I love your work. Thank you so much for your encouragment & help while I have been learning pastels..You have been a GREAT inspiration:heart: .. I will be checkin in to see what your up to in figures, portraits & oil forums..! Best of luck & Happy times with your new venture!!!

mang
09-26-2008, 02:52 AM
I really wish you well with your new adventure.
You'll certainly excel, good luck
Margaret

Colorix
09-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Alicia, you'll be missed -- you *are* missed, as you've not posted much for a long while. But you must follow the beat of your own drummer.

Thank you for saying good bye and I certainly hope the lure of the pastels will make it an au revoir!

Charlie

Merethe T
09-26-2008, 08:17 AM
You will be missed indeed! You work has truly been an inspiration to me, I'm gonna miss them....but I understand your choices, mastering a medium does take a lot of commitment and practice, and if oils are right for you at this point - follow your visions!

I'll look for your work in oils too, you are one very talented artist!
Best of luck to you on your new adventure, do pop in and see us once in a while!

Merethe

AliciaS
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
alaskan rose-- You have to follow your heart...at least if thats what guides you...
when I started painting I studied oil painters..and I have never stopped...
I tried very hard to create an "Oil" painting look with my pastels, but always
was not pleased. I have tried oils before, but struggled greatly.
Now that I know a bit more about the painting process itself, I am learning to handle them better. Thank you for your good wishes.

T- you are one of those that has a special touch with your pastels...
don't loose that!! your landscapes have been looking great!! thanks
for your comments on all my work I have done...it means alot to me!

Mang- you are another one with a special touch with pastels..your portraits are beautiful and sensitive......sensitivity is a hard thing to create..and hard thing to describe..but I feel that with your work....I think you would do very well with oils....you will know (like I did ) when its your time....keep up the great work!

Charlie--what can I say...you're a bright light here..not only with your colorful paintings but your character as well....your spirit is in each of your pieces..
your bright, clever and so creative....and you say that with each painting..
I will be watching your work...although I wish you would post more of them!!

Merethe- thank you for the well wishes..
Visions are important for an artist...it keeps us motivated and creative..
I wish you well on all your visions..
You are very talented as well. Keep up all the great work!!
Thanks all....

I do like a little drama....was there music in the background when you
read this???:music: :music:

But seriously though I have meant everything I just wrote...truly:heart:

Jimerz
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Alicia, DON'T LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scall0way
09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
alaskan rose-- You have to follow your heart...at least if thats what guides you...
when I started painting I studied oil painters..and I have never stopped...
I tried very hard to create an "Oil" painting look with my pastels, but always
was not pleased.

Oh you bet. We will miss you, but of course you must follow your heart. I feel the same way, though my :heart: is with pastels. I have tried other mediums (oils, acrylics, watercolors) and hated them all about equally. In fact, trying them drove me away from art for years! :D But with pastels I have found my passion.

Yet of course I don't demand that be true of everyone, and if oils are your passion then I say GO FOR IT.

AliciaS
09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Alicia, DON'T LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok.

AliciaS
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks Debbie-I think when you love what you do and you are true to yourself I think it shows in your work...and if painting in pastels is what you love then that will show...
thanks for your thoughts...

CindyW
09-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Alicia, your work is wonderful! and I've enjoyed viewing what you've shared here!
You're saying you're not closing the door on pastels...I think that's a realistic statement since a distance of time from now you may wish to give oils a rest for awhile and go back to pastels.
Every medium we are attracted to will give us a great new avenue to explore our creativity if we only give that medium a chance. Good for you to open the door to oils, it's very exciting and challenging to begin anew. I do know a few working fine artists who do work in a couple different mediums simultaneously with each medium feeding off the other in terms of learning and experience. I also know some who are successful in selling in more than one medium at a time, for example, oils and pastels or oils and watercolor, so there is evidence to me that both are viable and lucrative together by one artist if that artist successfully markets themselves.
If you frequent WC's oils forums, I'll be sure to take a peek every so often as your work is a treat to view.
Have a blast exploring oils!! :)

AliciaS
09-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Cindy--I appreciate your insight...I look forward to doing pastels once in a while...it is great to be able to back and forth with a different mediums.

I have learned so much with oils already that I know it will improve my pastels.

Thanks again Cindy.

Bringer
09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Alicia,

Let me be frontal here, as I always am as a person.
I don't know if you work with other mediums than oil and pastel, but you already have some experience in painting.
So, if you're like me, I'm sure that you've come to the conclusion (or quite probably will) that working with more than one medium develops one's abbilities and it's more relaxing.
I could bet that you'll feel the need to transit between mediums.
In my case I work mostly with oils (recently posted an english wrench) and pastels. Sometimes I paint a watercolour because I find it to be a relaxing medium.

Kind regards,

Josť

David Patterson
09-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Well...we will miss you in here...but most of us know that you'll venture back in here with a pastel in the future...they are too addicting to stay away from for too long. :)

Good luck to you Alicia!

David

AliciaS
09-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jose..I appreciate your suggestion...I will still be doing pastels on occasion ,,but I will focusing on oils..
I have been known as a pastel painter...and now I want to be known as an oil painter....so that is going to take alot of focus on my part.....there is only so much time in a day...and I will be using that time as wisely as I can and
at the stage where I am in my art career...I want to use it painting in oils!!
It will be fun to do pastels on occasion!!!

David- Thanks!! I will be back to show something sometime!! it may be a while
and like I said I will be looking regularly at all the work here..
You work has grown so much David---You are doing beautiful stuff!!
You should be very proud!!! And thank you so much for all your support now
and in the past!!!

PainterMike
10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Just caught this, Alicia!
Have to say that I'll miss your pastel paintings much, but I understand wanting to 'branch' out. Oils are fantastic, and with your talent and skill, you'll be amazing in any medium you choose...
Happy painting!
Mike

Mario V
10-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Alicia, I'm very sorry to hear this :(!!! I was always running to check your new pastel paintings and know most of paintings from your web site by heart.
I'm sure with your great stile you'll be doing great with oils :D