PDA

View Full Version : Playin' Hooky

cathy~o
09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
My first attempt at a landscape. Notice I said landscape, the boy and his book are both collaged on using gel medium :)
I need more practice with people before I try to add them to*real* work...:lol:
This is 11x14 on canvas panel, the leaves were done with a stencil brush and pounced on.
Not too bad for a first attempt is it?
Cathy

Linee
09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Love the composition and subject. For being a beginner painter, you're doing great! I personally would prefer more form to the foliage. Sometimes it is easier to paint the shape of the foliage and then "cut" some sky holes out with sky color.

Keep pressing forward. :thumbsup:

Bill_E
09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
There is a charming quality about this. The figure is well done. Makes me feel like playing hooky today too...wait a minute, I'm supposed to be working right now :lol:

sveldstra
09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
It makes me smile. Great colours, light subject matter, a happy picture of when life was simple. Good work, especially for a first attempt.

ExpressiveAngie
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
It's delightful! Keep on painting and posting

barsha
09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I liked the painting. It is wonderful and 'delightful' too as Angie has mentioned.

TxAggieDarlin
09-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I like this...looks like Tom Sawyer :)

Katwyld
09-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I love the colors on this... good choices! And jump right in on the people.. ya never know what you can do until you actually work on it a bit. :)

cathy~o
09-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. :)
Bill, the boy is collage, I chickened out on trying to paint him! He is from a wallpaper border sample book that I have, cut him out and glued him down on top of the painting with gel medium.
I tried a smaller version on paper where I attempted real leaves and ended up tossing it which is why I went with the stencil brush for the next try :)
I know I will get better as I go along, and am trying to paint as much as I can so that I improve!
I did do a person for the MAPS thread and surprised myself! Her face is a bit *off* but not too bad, I think.
Cathy

Faded
09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the acrylics forum Cathy, nice to see someone else from Rhody here. This is very good for a first try. I agree about the foliage, a bit more definition and it'll be fine. I look forward to seeing more of your work
-David