PDA

View Full Version : Glueing Paper To Back Of Canvas?

mickeyw3340
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I am finishing up a painting that is a wedding gift to my niece. I want to make some comments about it and put them on paper or note cards attached to the back of the canvas. Anyone tried this without harm to the front? Would Elmers glue work? Thanks.

howyadoin
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
You could collage the note onto the back with one of the Golden clear gel media.

Alternately, you could attach the note to the frame instead of to the canvas itself.

Aires
09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Would it be an option to staple the note cards to the wood stretcher? Perhaps in an envelope so the cards could be removed and then replaced?
I would doubt it being good to use Elmer's glue as a means to attach the notes to the back of the canvas itself. My thinking is that if the canvas ever had to be restretched, the glued on paper might be a problem??

Another option might be covering the back of your painting with paper made for that purpose and then you could attach the cards or notes to it without any danger of future damage to the painting itself. Most professionally framed paintings are finished with those dust covers on the back anyway so it would seem an easy and safe option from an archival perspective.

Linee
The note probably wouldn't adhere for as long as you want with Elmers. I think gel medium would be a better bet.

Raymo
I did a painting of my Grandparents old place and have decided to give it to my first son and he gives it to his first son and etc. etc.. I figure i'll staple a ziplock baggy to the back to include notes about the place, how I felt about the place, and photos of the old place. Just some kind of provenance to go along with the painting.

I dont think I would glue anything to the back of the canvas but maybe someone else might know more than me about those kinda things.

Haha, my painting will probly end up in a garage sale....:lol:

halthepainter
09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Don't mess with the canvas. Mount foam core on the back of the frame. This protects the back of the canvas from getting poked by foreign objects and I always write a little narrative or description on the back. I also cut a couple small wedge shaped holes in the foam core to allow the canvas to breathe.

I have also used a special paper backing (I think from Dick Blick) when the gallery or art show requires the back to be totally covered. It comes in a large roll of thick, blue gray paper and I use a color matching aluminized tape that actually looks quite good. It makes a good looking package.

Lady Carol
09-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Agree with Hal...don't mess with the canvas. It will come back some time down the road and bite you. Glue the label to the stretcher bar. I use glazing medium as a glue. This is acrylic compatible so I always have a lot of it around.

mickeyw3340
09-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Haha, my painting will probly end up in a garage sale....:lol:

Your probably right Raymo, mine too. That is part of what I want on the note. If the day comes it is not on a wall anymore, it is to go to my kids or grandkids. LOL

idylbrush
09-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't do it, IMHO. Most writing papers have acid and it will transfer. You can also have the canvas "crinkle" as the glues dry. If you use certain inks they can bleed through the canvas and destroy the painting.

I would put a separate envelope with the information stapled to the stretcher if it were me.