PDA

View Full Version : varnishing question

*Violet*
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
has anyone ever varnished a painting with one part of it glossy varnish and another part matt varnish ? :confused:

i've got a painting underway that is 4/5 crop of car and 1/5 pavement and was thinking of doing the car with gloss and the pavement with matt to accentuate the shininess of the car in opposition of the dullness of the street ... think it might work? ... or look corny? ... or unfinished? ... or just plain odd?:confused: :confused: ... :)

would appreciate any and all feedback on this ... it's coming up to varnishing time !! ... :)

LavenderFrost
09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
That's an interesting idea. I suppose if you tried it and didn't like it, you could go over it again with either varnish.

Scattykat
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
sounds interesting, not sure what it would look like tho', for me I think I'd try and impart the textures of the subject with the paint rather than the varnish, but would love to know how it turns out if you do a split on it...

JamesDFarrow
09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Buy a Matt Varnish and a Gloss Varnish. Make sure they are compataible. Then use them like a paint with a paint brush. Paint the whole thing Matt, then just the parts you want glossy with the Gloss Varnish.

This came up in another thread. Some people do it for water (rivers, ponds, streams) as they want those glossy and the rest matt.

As someone else said, it may not work for all paintings. It's probably a matter of taste and each case has to be considered. But like they said, if you don't like the result, you can just re-varnish it all matt or all gloss.

James :)

*Violet*
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
That's an interesting idea. I suppose if you tried it and didn't like it, you could go over it again with either varnish.
:wave: michelle !! ...that's so true !! ... experiment and correct if necessary !! ... :cat:... will do !!

sounds interesting, not sure what it would look like tho', for me I think I'd try and impart the textures of the subject with the paint rather than the varnish, but would love to know how it turns out if you do a split on it...

i just might try to incorporate a bit of texture as i do the pavement !! ... many thx for the suggestion shelley ... :) ... and i will post my efforts so you'll get to see ...

Buy a Matt Varnish and a Gloss Varnish. Make sure they are compataible. Then use them like a paint with a paint brush. Paint the whole thing Matt, then just the parts you want glossy with the Gloss Varnish.

This came up in another thread. Some people do it for water (rivers, ponds, streams) as they want those glossy and the rest matt.

As someone else said, it may not work for all paintings. It's probably a matter of taste and each case has to be considered. But like they said, if you don't like the result, you can just re-varnish it all matt or all gloss.

James :)

i do have both kinds of varnish james and believe they're the same company but good point ... will make sure to check first ... and your mentioning that others do it for water and the like is encouraging !! ... will have to keep my eye out for one that's done it ... the gloss must make the water just glisten !! ...

stay tuned ... :) ... again, i do think i'll give it a try .... hopefully before the month's end i'll have my painting done and will be sure to post ...

many thanks everyone !!

AMuse
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I did it with a painting I did of a frog on a brick wall. I varnished the wall matte and did the frog glossy. I really like how it turned out. I did bring the matte varnish 'into" the frog a little and then went over the frog with the gloss just to make sure I had full coverage over the whole painting.

halthepainter
09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
It sounds very interesting and I would love to see the result after you' ve done it.

I'll file this idea away for future consideration.

*Violet*
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I did it with a painting I did of a frog on a brick wall. I varnished the wall matte and did the frog glossy. I really like how it turned out. I did bring the matte varnish 'into" the frog a little and then went over the frog with the gloss just to make sure I had full coverage over the whole painting.

too cool, kathy !! ... i'd bet it was adorable ... :)

It sounds very interesting and I would love to see the result after you' ve done it. I'll file this idea away for future consideration.

i thought so too, hal ... :) ... and am looking forward to giving it a try ... must get working on the painting !! ... i'm excited to give this a try !! ... and see it you will, hal !! ... even if i feel it doesn't *work* i'll photograph it like that too and post with the finished piece ... but twixt all you guys and me .... i think it *will* work ... :)

Einion
09-24-2008, 06:40 PM
...was thinking of doing the car with gloss and the pavement with matt to accentuate the shininess of the car in opposition of the dullness of the street ... think it might work? ... or look corny?
In all honesty, the second.

For decorative work - abstract pieces where the physical painting is the art as much as the image - this kind of thing can look good, but in representational painting I think the work needs to have a uniform finish to look right.

Einion

*Violet*
09-24-2008, 07:34 PM
actually, einion ... the crop actually does have an abstractness about it ... :evil: ... therefore i'm thinking it just might work ... as it is now ... anyone who's seen it sees the abstractness first ... and then you *see the lights go on* when they follow with *ohhhhhh* !! ... *a car !!! .... :D ... but then again ... when it's done on the canvas, if it doesn't look good ... i'll revarnish over the matt ... :)

AMuse
09-24-2008, 08:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2008/104029-TFmedres_-_wm.jpg

Here is my froggy... it's kind of hard to tell from this photo, but the frog does have more shiny-ness because of the varnish and the shine makes him really pop out IRL

Mixael
09-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't know about other brands, but Liquitex suggests mixing gloss and matte to produce varying satin finishes. So, check the labels to see if they say something of that nature.

I haven't tried combining a gloss finish and a matte finish in the same painting, so I can't offer an opinion about what that would look like. Unless/until I need to find out for myself, I'll go with Einion's post.

GENERALLY, though, varnishes from the same manufacturer (in the same line) are perfectly compatible. Unless I'm wrong. (Am I?)

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Bizkit
09-24-2008, 10:09 PM
dont see why it wouldnt work...you might want to mask off the area to prevent bleeding.......
Personally, I mix Satin with Gloss......I like the finish it gives.

Lady Carol
09-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Violet, give it a go and let us know how it turns out. You can always re-varnish if it looks a little odd.

*Violet*
09-26-2008, 02:27 AM
i wish i were ready to varnish !! ... i can't wait to experiment ... i have never used gloss by itself always feeling the reflective quality to be too much but i'm looking forward to seeing my car parts shiny ... and i've mixed gloss with matt and if the matt on the pavement is too much in contrast with the gloss of the car then i'll try sating (gloss + matt) on it ... and then if it still doesn't look right, i'll make the car satin too ... i'm sure the car will look shiny enough still the way it's painted ... but i can't wait to try the gloss on part of it and matt on the other part ... must get busy to get to that point !! ... :lol: ... but saturday will be a right off ... 8( ... so much to do and so little time ...

*Violet*
09-29-2008, 09:18 AM
ok ... i think i am finished and ready to varnish ... but ... i started a new thread to get c & c before varnishing ... and posted a few possibilities of how to approach the varnishing and asked for opinions on which way to go ... i've only varnished with semi-gloss so am looking for advice from those familiar with gloss and matt finishes as well as semi-gloss ... the link to the thread i created is ... http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521411

thank you in advance for checking it out and i hope you will provide your opinions again ... the clock is ticking ... i want to enter it into a juried show this friday evening ... is that too close? ...

mollynix
10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I think your idea is fantastic! I, for one, will certainly keep it in mind and when the occassion calls I will try it! So far though, I varnish totally with high gloss. I insist that it make my paintings "pop"!