PDA

View Full Version : Painting Too Glossy ????

mickeyw3340
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I have just about finished the wedding present painting for my niece and have to stop "pokeing, puttering, and playing" before I ruin it. I used some impasto technique for the first time and used a gloss GEL . The impasto portions are reflecting too much light. How can I "ungloss" it and be assured that it will not ruin it. Also .... Seems I have seen and assume they also make a matte heavy Gel that would be better for impasto for a painter that doesn't like the reflections?

barb8j
09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Don't know if this would work, but how about varnishing it with matt varnish?

Lady Carol
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
As Barb said a matt varnish will solve this problem. It will even out any variation in gloss as well.

Jesse Riggle
09-24-2008, 11:18 AM
If you opt to use varnish, make sure you read the instructions well. You might want to check the manufactures website and see if they have any special instructions. I know the stuff I use requires an isolation coat and the varnish has to be diluted with water etc, or you risk messing it up, and the matte varnishes, if applied wrong can leave a cloudy effect. Granted, most good varnishes can be removed and re-applied...

If you don't want to varnish it, you could just cover the whole thing in a thin layer of matte medium. but if you mess that up, you can't undo it and it wont help protect the painting at all...

Antony Burt
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
There are lots of mediums and varnishes that can be used to even out the paints, and additives you've used. What to use depends on your intent. If you just want to 'even out' the look, I would use a medium. If you also want to protect the painting, then you have two options in a varnish. A permanent varnish, or a removable varnish. The permanent is applied just like the medium, but it offers more protection (less pervious, and stronger than medium). The removable offers the best protection, but it is more work. You need an isolation coat (a medium or permanent varnish as specified by the maker), and then you need to apply the removable varnish. Unlike the other treatments, removable varnish is not water soluable.

The beauty of removable varnish is the extra protection (not pervious, strongest, UV protection...), and that when the varnish ever becomes too dirty that cleaning does not restore the painting to it's original grandure, the varnish (and it's dirt) can be removed and a clean coat put back on for more protection.

No matter what route you take, you can use matte, or gloss or a mix of the two to create your own custom sheen (just mix matte and gloss versions of the same product.)