PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter Megan - WIP

Mixael
09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, I decided to do this as a WIP, but that decision was made after I had gotten a start on it. I wish I had gotten pictures from the bare canvas to what I'm posting here, but I didn't. I had started on this before and messed it up beyond repair. Since it was on a cheap canvas panel, I decided to just start over, and enlarge it (to what turns out to be pretty much life-size!) from 8x10 to 10x14-ish. Here is the reference and the progress thus far (99% of it today):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/117040-MeganPortraitRef.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/117040-MeganPortrait-1.jpg

The first thing done was the background, so that I can "hide" it behind the actuall portrait. Then the rest of what has been painted. Next will be her hair, just to get the basics of it in place. I'm going to be doing this a bit different than my normal way of "finish one part, then go to the next"....I'm going to pretty much paint ALL ot if as I go.

My progress may not show it that way as I post it, but I will do it that way anyway.

Oh, and this is 10x14 on stretched canvas, with homemade strainer. I figured out how to make my own stretchers AFTER beginning this, so my next one will be done on "real" stretchers!

Michael

susme48
09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
What a beautiful girl, and a wonderful pose and look!

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Good start Michael.. oh my she looks so much like my daughter when she was little its not funny!! have to find a photo somewhere!! shes beautiful!!

Mixael
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
What a beautiful girl, and a wonderful pose and look!

When we got the pictures developed from our vacation this summer, I saw this and thought "This one HAS to be painted!"

Thank you for the compliments, and I'm sure my daughter would appreciate the compliment as well

I will do more work either tonight or tomorrow, and take some more progress photos.

Michael

Bizkit
09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Off to a wonderful start!!! She's gonna break alota hearts so you'd better do good on this!!!!!!!!

Mixael
09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you, Kathie! Please do find a pic of your daughter! We compared a picture of my wife when she was 8 years old, and my daughter (she'll be 9 in Nov.), and the resemblance was TRULY amazing. They look like sisters, if not twins!

I will let her know that you and Susan have said she's beautiful. I don't know of any little girls that WOULDN'T like to hear that:lol:

Until next time,
Michael

ps: C&C is ALWAYS welcome by me. Feel free to let me know!

Mixael
09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey, Bizkit! looks like we cross posted! Thank you for the kind words. I have already let my daughter know the replies so far, and she was both embarrased and thrilled!

One of the reasons I was reluctant to get started was that I want this to look good. I know about a few placs that need work, and they are more evident IRL than in the post, but I'll deal with them as the painting progresses.

And I want you to know that your somments mean quite a bit to me, as I have seen YOUR work!

Thanks again,
Michael (and Megan!)

Linee
09-23-2008, 12:50 AM
What a good, confident start you have. I know you'll do great!

Mixael
09-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Thank you, Linda.

I was going to do some more work tonight (Monday), but Have decided to wait until tomorrow so that I don't "force" the paint. I'm just tired enough to really screw the painting up if I were to go on. Instead I've been doing some BORING artist type things in my so-called studio. Like filling paint tubes to try to preserve the MASSIVE amount of paint that I purchased a few months ago. Remind me not to buy 32oz tubs of paint again:D I MEANT to get 8oz tubs, but for some reason ordered the big ones.

g-night all, and I'll paint and post tomorrow.

Michael

ExpressiveAngie
09-23-2008, 07:43 AM
what a little beauty! yup I will be checking in :thumbsup:

Scattykat
09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
this is looking good, I'll be back to see the finish...Shelley

*Violet*
09-23-2008, 03:17 PM
what an adorable pose and a beautiful girl !! ... i look forward to watching your progress ...you've got a great start going ...

Mixael
09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I apologize for no update yesterday (Tuesday), but that thing called life got in the way. Today is going to be quite busy as well, but I intend to get some work done on this, anyway. After all, tomorrow isn't much better, insofar as being busy.:D

Anyway, I'm off to finish getting dressed so I can go take care of today. Take care, and pray that I can find the time today to paint, if not post the progress.

Michael

Mixael
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, I didn't get to do as much today as I had hoped, but I did get some done. I've put a base layer of Burnt Umber for her hair, as well as worked on her eybrows some. I also lightened the whites ofher eyes a bit. I was going to work on her irises, but had cleaned the brushes and put everything up. In fact, I noticed them when I was taking the picture:o

I need to lighten her skin tone, as well as introduce more of a pink cast to it. All told, I'm happy with it at this point, and the whole thing (except her eyes) I think is done---for the first layer! I'm far from finished, and would like comments on what I've got so far. (just don't mention that I still need to do the eyes, or that her hair isn't auburn as it appears in the painting....I know those things!!!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2008/117040-MeganPortrait-2.jpg

This isn't quite as good a crop as the first one. Please feel free to C&C if you wish. And if anyone cares to do a digital "fix" go right ahead. Of course, I reserve the right to ignore your opinions:D

I will be working on this one tomorrow afternoon at Open Studio (my art "class" at the VA), so I hope to have more progress than this tomorrow. And it may just be my monitor, but the skin tones seem a bit lighter on screen than they do looking at the realthing. When I get this one finished, I'll get my uncle (the GOOD photographer) to take a picturem and see how that turns out.

Well, that's it for tonight. Thanks for your interest, and keep well!

Michael

Lulu
09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
You've got a great likeness and are progressing well. Looking forward to updates.

Oh, btw, about the eyes..................:lol::lol::lol:

Artchrispy
09-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey Michael. This is looking good! Can't wait to watch it unfold. Keep those updates coming!

Mixael
09-24-2008, 11:39 PM
You've got a great likeness and are progressing well. Looking forward to updates.

Oh, btw, about the eyes..................:lol::lol::lol:
When I showed it to my wife, she told me I need to hurry up and get some color in the eyes:D I tried to explain that I had my stuff put up and brushes cleanes when I realized I'd forgotten them, and she just gave me "the LOOK":lol: I promise to work on them tomorrow.

Michael

Oh, I missed a post by Artchrispy. Thank you for the kind words.

ExpressiveAngie
09-24-2008, 11:46 PM
yup, you are progressing nicely :thumbsup:
lo [email protected] your wife!

Bizkit
09-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Looking good..........!!

Mixael
09-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Wasn't able to get as much done today as I had planned, but I did get some work done on the eyes. Now I'm ready-ish to begin color-adjusting and layering in hair and, well, you know, the rest of the painting. C&C is welcome, as always.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2008/117040-MeganPortrait-3.jpg

Note that the blue line at the bottom is painter's tape that is hold the ref pic in a handy spot.

I hope to work more on it tonight/tomorrow, as well as over the weekend.

Michael

susme48
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
This is going well, Michael! Not gonna say anything yet...since you have more to do. All I see is some shading and shadowing details to finish off. Otherwise this is great!!

*Violet*
09-26-2008, 02:00 AM
again ... i love her pose !! and you're coming along marvelously ... for C&C ... i would suggest checking the shapes of the whites of her eyes as i believe they are larger than in the reference photo ... and then the position of the pupil within the iris ... once the eyes are right in a painting, the rest plays 2nd .... and perhaps it's the photo, but her complexion appears a little on the dark side ... then again, you did mention you intend to lighten it ... :)

Mixael
09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah, the eyes need some more work. The overall shape of the eye is a bit off, but I won't worry about that too much...it's so very minor that even I have to look very closely at the ref and painting to see it. The whites of her eyes, believe it or not, are actually proportionate! I was worried about that yesterday, so I measured them. (Well her left, our right, anyway. If the other was off, would it make BOTH seem off?) And I noticed the pupil being wrong too, but I was having to put things up for the day, and let it go until I paint today or tonight.

Her complexion IS a bit on the darkside, and looking at the ref photo, it needs to be lightened and have a pinkish cast introduced. I'm surprised you didn't mention the hair being the wrong color:lol:

Over all, this is a first layer, so I'll be able to get these corrected before it's done.

(I just looked back at the ref and the painting, and noticed that the eye shape IS off alittle more than I remember from yesterday. Maybe I should work on that, eh?)

Michael

ExpressiveAngie
09-26-2008, 08:05 AM
You'll get it :) the eyes are the hardest part..well ...and the mouth and nose lol I crack myself up!

Mixael
05-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Well, I've been doing other stuff for a while, and have neglected the site for a while. Just for kicks, I thought I would see if I ever posted my painting, and found this thread! I must apologize, as it was supposed to be a WIP of this one, and I COMPLETELY forgot about it!

Truth be told, I was scared of messing up beyond help. I have yet to take a photo of the finished painting, but will try to do so tonight, and get it posted this weekend.

I will say that I entered it in the VA art show this year and won 1st place for Acrylics at the local level. (I don't think I even placed at the national level, but who cares...I got a blue ribbon for it anyway!)

I'm currently working on a portrait of my son, but that one will go into its own thread.

Michael

susme48
05-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Nice to see you back, Michael....congrats!! Can't wait to see your daughter...and then your son!

Bright Eyes
05-30-2009, 02:32 AM
This is looking good! I really like the expression you've already have to her eyes. This is going to be a great painting!

Mixael
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, I've been trying to upload this for forever, and between forgetting to take the picture and having some problems uploading, it has taken too long.

But, finally, here it is. The finished portrait of my daughter Megan. As I mentioned earlier (MUCH earlier), this won First place in the local VA art show. It didn't place in the national competition, but at least I got a blue ribbon!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2009/117040-MeganFINAL.JPG

This is actually a crop of the painting, but it is the important part.

Michael

OkeeKat
10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the ribbon!
Nice finish!

susme48
10-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice finish!!