PDA

View Full Version : Impasto Painting Style ??????

mickeyw3340
09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Second Post of this, first one doesn't work.

I love it I love it. :heart: I tried impasto oil like painting last night with my acrylics for the first time. I love it. :clap: I am using a Liquitex Gloss Gel Heavy. I would like to hear from those of you who also do this, and your pros and cons and gotchas !!!!! Your technique, what you add to the paint, etc.

JamesDFarrow
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
You can also try the Liquitex Super Heavy Body Acrylic paint. Then you don't have to add anything. They are as thick as tar. Great Stuff.

Check them out at Blicks. The price is not bad at all.

James :)

susme48
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Personally, I love thick paint...usually end up painting straight from the tubes. I use the Liquitex mentioned and also Golden heavy body. I do use the Liquitex Slo dri Blending Gel to help with the drying, and to extend the paint. I like when the brush strokes show. I am finding with the larger canvases, that I am painting a little thinner...:lol:, because I don't want to run out of paint.

mickeyw3340
09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Susme,
I'll have to try the Golden heavy body. I try to shop locally and usually at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, taking advantage of their 40 and 50 % coupons. Budget is tight so its hard for me to turn loose of enough to make up a decent internet order. Thanks for your input.

ExpressiveAngie
09-22-2008, 04:40 PM
You can also try the Liquitex Super Heavy Body Acrylic paint. Then you don't have to add anything. They are as thick as tar. Great Stuff.

Check them out at Blicks. The price is not bad at all.

James :)
ooo sounds good, thanks!

gnu
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Mickey, I work most of the time with a knife, and Atelier Interactives, with same brand Impasto medium half and half. More economical, because you go through less paint than if you use a thick paint only, I need to stock up on spearate colours far less often.Great for the sides of gallery wrap too, better and faster coverage, leaving no canvas texture. Also leaves you more options for painting in other styles, since you can add flow medium for thinner paint/ink or Watercolour tecnhique, Impasto medium for knife etc, and as is for everything else(Because if already has a thickening agent added makes dilutions not so great).. Also Since I travel round, I need as small a stock as I can manage.

arl
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I use heavy viscosity liquitex paint mixed with super heavy gloss medium. I keep my brush at a low angle to the painting which is a technique I read about in a book. Currently I am having a problem doing impasto work due to damage to my arm and hand. I think I have tried now every brush imaginable to try to overcome the problem as well as move my canvas to a position so the brush is at a lower angle. I have decided to try some light modeling paste although this will lighten the paint. This is a thread I will continue to read.