PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 22 Thru 28

K Taylor-Green
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to this week's edition of the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

There is a change in the air. A sense of turning away from the sun. The days are still quite warm, but the nights are chilled. The light has changed, coming from a lower aspect of space. Fall is just around the corner! Leaves are just starting to turn, and we are coming into one of my favorite times of the year.

I find myself unexpectedly without grandchildren today, so I believe I will paint something! Unfortunately, not in pastels. But the puppy house needs it's last little details finished so that I can move my little charmers and their momma out of the cottage.:lol: So I will be painting out of doors. Hmmm, would that still be considered en plein air?

Shirl Parker
09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, I know it's fall, because my pastelist and other artist friends are getting ready for the trek back to Brownsville for the winter. We have finally dropped temperature down into the 80s so it is finally becoming tolerable. I may have to follow someone home next year, it was so hot here this summer.

ChristyLB
09-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Good morning!

I'm very excited that fall is on its way! Around here, that usually means the nights are a few degrees cooler, and the days cool a little earlier than they did a month or two ago. I absolutely love fall, I can't wait for all of it this year!

This weekend, my little boy mastered the art of sitting! (Is it OK to post pictures in the scumble thread? Let me know if it's not and I'll take it down...)

http://www.coypond.net/uploaded_images/sitting-748561.jpg

He was so very pleased with himself! Then last night, he slept in his crib in his own room for the first time. I'm experiencing a wide range of emotions about that... good and bad. And now he's sniffling and possibly catching a cold.

Sigh.

My husband brewed a batch of ginger ale last night. We won't get to taste it for a couple days, but I'm looking forward to it!

This weekend is a baby shower for one of my good friends, who after many years of disappointment, adopted a son three weeks ago. I'm in charge of the baking, so I have 40 cupcakes and 80 biscotti to bake this week.

Hopefully somewhere along the way I'll find time to paint!!

Deborah Secor
09-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Aw, cute little kiddo you have there, Christy! Posting pictures is just dandy with us here in the Scumble! Hope he avoids getting a cold... Enjoy every second with him! I had my kiddo over here yesterday and we had a great visit. Mine is 22 now...and he sits up well :smug: :lol: but he still takes a nap when he visits! I found him asleep in my recliner in the midst of a roomful of friends. The kid can sleep anywhere, anytime!

My hubby just called to say he feels like he's catching a cold. He's hanging on at work, but feels icky. Unfortunately he's exposed to every germ that comes along and I suspect this year will be fraught with lots of bugs for him.

I just made a momentous decision in my life--not HUGE but fairly impactful. I decided to withdraw from my gallery representation altogether so that I can sell my paintings for a really reasonable price. I took 16 paintings out of the Santa Fe gallery on Saturday morning, and just made an announcement on my painting blog of my intentions. I feel like I've neglected painting too much for other things like teaching and writing, which I love doing, too, but I need to challenge myself to get back into the studio more frequently. Selling things motivates me, and I LOVE the idea of having my stuff selling to people who want original art but never thought they could afford it. I've always kept my prices reasonable, but galleries can inflate value, perhaps a little more than I want right now. I have these wonderful ClearBags I can ship work in so easily now and there's just no reason to have a portfolio stuffed with paintings that aren't showing or selling! So now we'll see if doing a daily painting, or getting into the daily blogs, and/or just being willing to sell for peanuts (reasonable peanuts) will make me PAINT more! Hope so...

Fall is here. The balloons are all over the place (a whole flock flew over yesterday), the nights are colder, and my cottonwood tree has three yellow leaves. I hope my big maple will be ablaze with color in time! We'll see...

Okay, laundry and errands await me. Plus I have to spend some time editing that workbook this week. I have 65 pages right now, only about 40 edited! Better try to balance typing and painting somehow. :wave:

Deborah

chewie
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
wow deb, brave step. i am feeling really pressured--i have a job to start in a few weeks, a mural to paint, a couple commissions to do, and what i'd rather be doing is some plein air. i have a gallery who wants them, too, and just when i've gotten into some of the nicer galleries around, i feel like i can't keep my head above water. i hope this step suits you well.

our weather here has been changing as well, and i enjoy it much. we went on a trail ride yesterday, arrived late due to church obligations, then got there just in time to get totally drenched! i wont' go on this ride again, as it was just a beer party on horseback, ppl racing past us and making our horses get hyper. it did teach the 2 young horses a few things. there was some sharp lightning tho., and that really scared me! then our pickup got buried in the mud, so we had to sit in that downpour for an hour, til someone else could let us use their outfit to get home. ugh! gee, how fun! i was glad i didn't allow the 11 yr old to ride the young horse she's been working with, i had enough to do handling my own!

saturday tho., is the funnest round up day of all--great friends hire us each year for this one, so i know the pastures by heart, we move around 250 pairs out of some very rough pasture along the Missouri river, then along the river a while, and up to the tops again and to corrals where the babies are pulled off, all of them worked (shot, etc.) and babies hauled off. it will be my gelding's first time, i hope he does well.

kate, the pups were alot of fun here, but i was sad to see them all go. now we only have older dogs, and one is showing his age big-time. he's only 7 but it was a very hard 7 years, and now he barely moves off the porch! i hope you enjoy them while you have them, even tho. oh boy, they are alot of work!! are we going to see some paintings of pups??

and christy, awwww! i sure don't mind seeing a cutie! he will grow up fast too, enjoy him! write down things you think you will remember, cuz you wont'! date it, and keep a simple notebook with them in, you'll cherish it someday. and lots of pix!

have a great week!

DocBoots
09-22-2008, 01:26 PM
The air is, indeed, changing. I absolutely love fall, and this is our first autumn in the Rockies. I prefer 'sweater' weather more than anything above ~70 so I'm in heaven. Each day when we walk the dogs some bush is turning a different color. Even though my two experiences with plein air have been fraught with ants and not all that much fun, I keep seeing things that I want to try to capture, or even just stand and stare at. I'm finally seeing the world with an artist's eye like I used to - everything is beautiful.. I love it!

Christy: He is ADORABLE! He looks so proud of himself!!

Deborah: You inspire me - I think I'll get offline and finish the portrait I'm working on that I've stalled at.

Chewie: The round-up sounds awesome, good luck!!

Okay - I am going OFFLINE now, really!! (this place is addictive!)

~~ Boots~~

K Taylor-Green
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Who in their right minds wants to drink alcohol and ride horses? I know, I know, the world is full of nuts.....bur sheesh.
Chris, probably won't paint any pups, but I will put photos in the RIL for everyone else. I will be painting their father, however. It will be a gift to his owner, my trainer and mentor, Carol. Blaze is a gorgeous fox red Labrador.

Christy, you have a lovely little boy! Such a sweet face.

Deborah, a brave step for sure, but you have to do what is right for you. I applaud you for it!

Dot Hoffman
09-22-2008, 05:04 PM
When I signed in today to see what was going on I got a message that I haven't posted for "several weeks" -- has it really been that long???:o

So, here's what's happening right now. We took a day off yesterday and drove to the Petroglyph's Monument, and I am NOT made for walking those trails. But it was fun, as long as DH held my hand:p ! Then drove around the west side a bit, and Deborah, you'll laugh about this, drove by the church where you have your classes, and ended up in the parking lot behind Hometown Buffet. I think we missed a turn somewhere:( !

We also went to the open space visitors center where they had an art show -- two, actually, one of small paintings and one by signature members of the Plein Air New Mexico group. All VERY nice paintings, including some by Maggie Price and Ann Templeton. We were impressed! What excellent work!

We are finally getting settled in. Only 2 more small boxes to unpack, and some pictures to hang, and then some shopping for one more room and a few odds and ends. We frequent a consignment shop that carries some good stuff at reasonable prices; I love the idea of recycling! We are on the lookout for a buffet, a tall cabinet for extra storage, and bookcases, although I think DH will probably get some unfinished ones and finish them himself.

Deborah, would you PM your address so I can send you the deposit for the next classes?

The weather is wonderful. I'm sitting right now in front of the open window, watching the breeze stir the dessert willow in our front yard and the poofy clouds float across the sky. DELICIOUS!

I'm going to go paint for a while....

Maggie P
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Deborah pointed out I posted to the wrong week. Well, I've been away for a week, and was reading last week's scumble to catch up, then forgot to forward to this week. Guess I'm still jet-lagged.

Christy, that is one cute baby. Post his pics any time! It makes me smile to see that sweet little face.

Deborah, good luck with your online sales. I will be interested to hear how that works.

Chewie, that sounds incredible. I'm kind of timid about actually getting on a horse but love to look at them and would love to see that event.

I'm not back in the studio yet. In fact I haven't even caught up on the laundry. It was an exhausting week in NY, followed by getting up at 4 a.m. New York time (2 am here) to get to the airport. Yesterday I had a migraine all day, no doubt the result of too little sleep and too much stress/excitement. Today I'm dealing with a few urgent tasks and some easy things like this. Tomorrow I will get back into my normal high gear! (Easy to say now.)

Hope y'all have a great week.

ElsieH
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
:wave: Hi, All!
Oh, my, is it Wednesday already and I haven't posted on the Scumble yet?

Cute, cute baby! Don't miss a moment...they grow up so fast!
Please do post photos....we'll like seeing that cutie grow!

Lots of activities: pups, new houses, trips etc. You all are quite busy!

Last weekend, we drove from where we live (near Madison, Wisconsin, USA) to Gay's Mills, Wis. to get apples. This was an area of Wisconsin hit badly by floods last spring. The whole little village is considering moving to higher ground. But the apple orchards are high and dry up on a hill.
There is just something about apples in the fall! My hubby is addicted to "Honey Crisp" apples for eating, so we came home with a bushel of those!
Then a half bushel of Cortlands for pies, applebutter, and baking.
The drive there was quite foggy and misty...very lovely soft colors!
By the time we traveled home, the fog was gone and sun bright. So many lovely colored trees. It was interesting to see the same scenes with the mist and then in full sun! Ah, the artist's eyes! :heart: :heart:
Monday, I baked an apple pie! Oh, yummy!
Also, we are quickly making a dent in the Honey Crisps...little tell-tale cores piling up!:lol:

Deborah, Good for you! Hope all goes well with the more direct selling! :heart:

Maggie: Oh, I just know you enjoyed the NY trip. But, rest up, relax, and get dusty! Hope the migraine is gone! They are terrible! I'm a fellow-Migrainer...sympathy! :o :heart: :heart:

Yesterday, I got a full day to paint, practice my violin and do some genealogy! I hope to get back to the painting again today, too! :clap:

Have a great week! :wave: