PDA

View Full Version : Burnt bone?

MDurante
07-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Hello!

I'm looking at the oil painting lesson at www.1art.com, and the author uses a color called "burnt bone". I cannot find information on this color anywhere. Is it a psuedonym for some other color?

Quote: "13. The dead layer - the fourth PODMALYOVOK - is made with white lead, light ocher, red ocher, and burnt bone."

Thanks for any help,

Matthew Durante

Patrick1
07-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Bone black maybe?

MDurante
07-28-2002, 04:24 PM
> Bone black maybe?

That a good suggestion. Maybe it's a typo, and he combined Burnt Umber with Bone Black (or something).

I read that some ancient cave-paintings used burnt bone as a pigment, but I doubt this guy is robbing graveyards.

- Matthew Durante

harriet
07-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Matthew,

I'm not at all sure, but my 1st thought was Ivory Black. As I understand it, it was origionally made from burnt elephant tusks and then later from other burnt animal bones.

Just another idea for you to look into.

harriet

cobalt fingers
07-29-2002, 09:21 PM
ask the one that said it

Einion
07-31-2002, 01:14 AM
Harriet, Ivory Black is Bone Black these days, they have mostly retained the old name simply because it sounds better :rolleyes:

Matthew, you'll find a number of instances of odd colour names on that site (light ochre is another good example) possibly because they are literal translations of the Russian terms for given colours. Best of luck trying to get an answer from the host if you try!

Einion

professor_Betty
08-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Einion, you are one of those wise people we can't afford to loose from this place. I was just defending another professional, cobalt in figures. We need you fellas!

Theres a thread about color over there; I'd like to know what you think.

B