PDA

View Full Version : Tina Portrait- WIP

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I decided to put this into a wip as I have been taking so many photos of it today thought everyone might enjoy it.
Any C&C welcomed..
I'm not out to get it Exact as in Photo but close.. I know the hair curls might be a bit different.
ENJOY!!
Attached is the reference, underpainting and a few updates..
This photo is where I am at now. the latest update.
acrylic on strathmore canvas textured paper.9x12.
This is for a friend its her daughter, for a painting swap.
I started this last evening so far put in 17 hrs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/137439-Tina4cIF.jpg

mickisew
09-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Kathy:

Your portrait is coming along very nicely. No tough love from this end! LOL Seriously, check the brows - there is something ...

Luv ya, Micki

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 02:02 AM
thanks so much Micki!! I realy appreciate your comments!! Will look closer and touch up the eyebrows. thanks! always good to have other set of eyes.

edtree
09-21-2008, 08:54 AM
:wave: Hi Kathie!

This is a GREAT portrait! I like the way you've painted the hair and the skin tones, and the likeness is very good! My only suggestion is to widen her forehead. I really enjoyed the WIP pictures you included - thank you! It's always interesting to see other artists' processes. :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

Lady Carol
09-21-2008, 09:21 AM
It is a good likeness of her. Just check the forehead there is a dip into it on our left. The hair could do with a few highlights.

ExpressiveAngie
09-21-2008, 09:21 AM
:wave: Hi Kathie!

This is a GREAT portrait! I like the way you've painted the hair and the skin tones, and the likeness is very good! My only suggestion is to widen her forehead. I really enjoyed the WIP pictures you included - thank you! It's always interesting to see other artists' processes. :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth
I agree. :heart: :clap:

Linee
09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Love the colors in this. Great glow to her skin! Very supple. Lovely features, too.

*Violet*
09-21-2008, 11:18 AM
i think you've done fabulously so far !! ... a great likeness :clap:... i do think you could be braver with the values tho ... i see greater values in her skin tones and think darker darks and lighter lights could be brought into her hair which could accentuate the wavyness ... as is it looks more towards resembling a photograph rather than a painting ... the latter of which i think you'd feel much better about in the end ... in addition to very slightly widening her forehead as has been previously mentioned, i think her cheeks could be narrowed just a tad to capture the slight angles down from her cheek bones in contrast with the roundness of her cheek bones and her jaw line ...

in my *very* crude rendition of how you might consider greater values, here's an *attempt* to illustrate what i mean ... which is ... a slight increase of the values you've done vs those present in the photo ... with the modifications i mentioned .... remember to squint lots to see what i mean and what's in the photo ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2008/46454-portrait.JPG
:o*blush*:o ... :eek:.... boy does it look crude :(!! ... but i hope you get the gist of what i mean ...

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Elizabeth, thanks so much, I will look at the forehead again
Carol, thanks, Her hair is far from being done, but thanks, and will check the forehead again.
Angie, Thank you!
Linda, Thank you!
Violet, Thank so much for your suggestions and working up the photo for me.
Its great having other eyes view your work.
Thanks again all!!:heart:

edtree
09-21-2008, 12:32 PM
:wave: Hi Violet! Crude?...maybe, but I like it! It shows well what you were describing! :thumbsup:

Elizabeth

AMuse
09-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I really like it Kathie - and I bet her mom is going to love it!

I think that her eyes look a bit more closed in the painting - maybe a little highlight under her brows to lighten them up a bit? :)

she looks lovely and very serene.

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Kathy, I realy appreciate the comments all!!

Bizkit
09-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Kat-Coming along very good!! My suggestion would have been the same as Violets, if you have a program,(Photobucket does it), that converts to Grayscale its quite useful. I do believe the skin values need looked at a bit, also, and this could be a camera or picture thing, the hair look a touch Orange, understandably she's a redhead, just be careful with how much you push it, a wash of Sienna my help tone it down........
Overall wonderful work and likeness, glad you decided to share it!!!
mike

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you Mike, I realy appreciate it.
I know I have a ways to go yet on this and all the suggestions are helpful.

Thanks. not sure how much I want it to look like the photo, I do want it to look like a pinting too, I'm not brave enought to put different brushstrokes of colors in like some artist do.. I like to blend it.. well maybe I'll come up with a happy medium!!:lol: thinking yet. Mainly want it to look like her.
thanks

HOllyLL
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
this is coming out SOO nice! Can't wait to see it completed....you're doing a great job..you should be SO proud!!

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Thank you so so much Holly!! Realy appreciate your praise!! realy a boost to the ole ego!! yes I am proud of it so far. Hope to have another update tomorrow!!

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Update, Worked mostly on the skintones and a little bit on her hair.. I think I fixed her forehead now.
this photo isn't as blurry as the previous one(Even thought it looked more blended).
attached is the previoius update. so can compare, along with the ref photo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2008/137439-Tina5cIF.jpg

edtree
09-22-2008, 06:29 AM
:wave: Great job on the edits Kathie! You're so close. I think a bit more off her right cheek (our left) and you'll have it! I put these side by side, blown up, and the likeness is so incredibly good - she's going to love this!:thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

noodle1
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Kathie, I think personally you've done a really fine job with this. I'd have to agree with the forehead and side cheek line (illustrated for you), not so cheeky but slightly straighter as it comes down. I'd perhaps thin out her top lip a bit, and pull the lower right dip up and in a tiny bit more, will straighten out the mouth (looks just a tiny bit tilted) but not depart from the balance of her features. More light on lower lip, softer color that way it will blend into her face. When you do the hair lift the hairline atop, and blend tones of flesh and cast shadow from the hair which should give you the shape of the forehead even if you widen it some.
Fixing the cheek will probably do alot to make the forehead appear more wide, so maybe do that first and see what you think afterwards.

You got that glow and it's really a fine piece, vary your skin tones just a bit and play with that light, the photographer has set you up, now put your spin on it. She's obviously fair so mix your flesh tones accordingly. Just a little more definition and ya got her even more so, I think. Nice job!! From the beginning I thought you really did capture "her" look, don't over work it but just maybe thin layer some areas to make them more definite, Kudos to you!! Everybody approaches portraits just a little differently, comes down to the seeing, you got that, your style your way ya know..:lol: But the greater picture, the whole is first then the details, your basics are good just pull everything else into them.

Elaine

TxAggieDarlin
09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Very nicely done. Someday, I will venture out there and try and portrait lol...great job!!

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks so much Elizabeth and TxAggie!!
Elaine, Thanks I realy appreciate you taking the time to make these suggestions. will work on that now. Be back later!!:wave:

*Violet*
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
kathie ... i love how fabulously the hair looks now !! ... :thumbsup: :clap::clap: ... it's gorgeous !! ...

right along with elaine, though, i think the cheek could be addressed as advised and also a little on the right at the temple and below the cheek bone ... and again, i agree with elaine that the skin tones still could use some greater value changes ... it does require a little bravery, i know ... but give it a try with some thin glazes ... i'm sure you'll see it'll bring more life to her face ... there are shadows in the pic that aren't there in the painting and once you have 'em there you'll see ... since she's a red head, the additional tones could perhaps be a little more on the pink side and a touch darker to provide the needed variance ... here's a pic of all three of your posts together to help you see how wonderful the highlights and added shadows worked fabulously in her hair ... there's lots of value differences there now ... and hopefully you'll see just how the skin tones need to be addressed now ... your portraiture is wonderful ... the gown is great, too ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/46454-portrait2.jpg

[edit] ... i almost forgot ... i also think that including the dark shadows on either side of her pearls will make them pop !! ...

*Violet*
09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
:o :o apologies if you've heard too much from me o :o ...

another thing i played with to see if i could make any constructive suggestions is her gaze ... in the photo she is looking at the viewer while in the painting she has a slight downward-to-the-left gaze ... if that is what you're after, then disregard what follows ... if you'd like to address it, here is perhaps how it can be addressed ... i know my example is far from perfect ... but here goes anyway ... i darkened the pupils so it they are more prominent, and positioned them so there is more iris showing below them rather than above it .... i also lightened the glints in her eyes ... :) ... a beautiful girl ... :heart: ... lifted the lids a bit and darkened them ... etc ...

i hope you can distinguish the changes i implimented ... and don't mind my meddling ... it's only well intended ... :) :heart: :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/46454-portrait_eyes_mod_compare_2.jpg

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks so much Elaine and Violet, I think alot of the problem I have here is a poor colors in the photo.. appreciate the suggestions and will take them to heart and make adjustments.. I have done some on the cheek and temple and darkened the pupils already :lol: I agree with Violet on the eyes. and Yes Elaine good idea on the pearls.. I will try to get a better photo once I adjust the eyes more so you can at least see a difference.
thanks again :heart:

mickisew
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Kat:

Being a newbie, I don't feel qualified to offer detailed critique - only what my eyes see. Please check the area above the lip as highlighted in Violet's post.

I know you will add your personal character and style as you complete the portrait.

Hugs, Micki

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks much Micki!!

Here is an update, I believe I fixed most of the suggestions. I did alot of changes to her eyes, mouth, and face tones.I still have minor adjustments to the gown on the shoulder and the beads as well as more on the hair.
It actualy is a tad darker in RL then in photo.. ok went back edited it and darked in photoshop, this is more like the color in RL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/137439-Tina6cADJif.jpg

closeuphttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/137439-Tina6cCUADJif.jpg

mickisew
09-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Kat:

I think the portrait is incredible! The changes in the face tone makes a noticeable difference. Thank you for sharing - I am taking note!

Hugs, Micki

MRSBB
09-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Kathie. I have been in the background watching this when I get a chance and I think you have taken a good portrait and made it great. Their is such good advice from fellow artists here on W/C, it's like we have our own private school. Nice work.........Lenore

Zena
09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Its AWESOME Kathie! You have gone to so much work on this! My daughter is going to LOVE it just as i do! Thankyou so much! Hugz,Jan

Zena
09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Also thankyou to all the members that have helped Kathie with my daughter's portrait! It is very much appreciated!! Hugz,Jan

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you so much Micki and Lenore!!
AHH Gee Thank Jan!!:o It is a pleasure to do this portrait for you.and Glad you like it.:D
This was great practice for my people portraits.. after struggling with both of my grandsons portraits I hesitated doing this one... but Glad I did.. I'm honestly surprised by how well this turned out in such a short time.. The Projector was a BIG HELP! and saved alot of meaningless steps that I used to take.
I realy have to thank WC and everyone here on WC for all their help along the way not only with this portrait but with all my paintings as they realy have helped me fine tune my talent up to this point.. and I KNOW there is always room for improvement and hope to be as good an artist as some here are now. I'm Still learning and I have you all to thank. Great teachers and friends. thanks.

susme48
09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Jan...you are more than welcome....it is what we do :) Kathie's skill is what made it work!

Raymo
09-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Jan !!! :wave:

Zena
09-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Raymo! How you do'in sweety! Been a long time,lol.Is'nt Kathie AMAZING!!! I'm so excited with this gorgeous painting of my Tina!! Hugz

Raymo
09-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi Raymo! How you do'in sweety! Been a long time,lol.Is'nt Kathie AMAZING!!! I'm so excited with this gorgeous painting of my Tina!! Hugz

Hiya doll !!! I've been fine. I decided to come over to the acrylic section here since our site is pretty much gone. Kathie is a very very good artist and a cutie to boot, hehe. I knew she would do a good job on this but I didnt realize it was your daughter till you showed up. Where have you been hanging out at ?

Mixael
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
My oh my! I can't believe I missed this thread! It's a wonderful painting, and I wish I had seen it sooner!

Hi everybody!

Michael

Zena
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Well,the SP forum is dead so i'm at Craftcrowd and paint and draw forum and this one too which i should visit more often,lol.You still painting the Jerry Yarnell style??Hugz,Jan

Raymo
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I dont do so many Yarnells anymore but still follow his style and his influence is definitely in my paintings, lol. I'm on both of those sites also. I'll have to look for you.

It was definitely a happy moment to see an old friend pop up....:clap:

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Hiya Ray!! OHH thanks for such sweet compliments:o /blushin here.
Yeah we all been haning here and on craftcrowd. :heart:

Hi Michael. Soo glad you like this!! thanks much for stoping by and commenting!!:wave:

susme48
09-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I give up...what is SP? If I may ask?

Zena
09-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Sp is Simply Painting forum,but nobody goes there anymore,it is so slow!! Hugz

OkeeKat
09-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Susan, it was simplypainting.com, they now made up the sites.. Craftcrowd. similar to idrawandpaint.
http://www.craftcrowd.com/profile/Kathie
http://community.how-to-draw-and-paint.com/profile/Kathie

susme48
09-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Okie dokie! Don't know much about other sites, my head just hurts with the size of this one...:)

OkeeKat
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Did a little more on her hair and shaved some more off of her cheeks.. I think its about done, I signed it but want to see what everyone else thinks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2008/137439-Tina7cIF.jpg

*Violet*
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
kathie ... it's lovely !! ... the changes you've made have taken this portrait to a new level !! ... kudos to you !! ... i do notice now, tho ... that her top lip could be thinned slightly ... and widening and lightening the bottom lip would do it ... and since the upper lip is in shadow, it could be darker ... pretty much the same shade as is there towards the corners ... that's about it !! ... a portrait to be extremely proud of !!