PDA

View Full Version : Old House In Woods

PETE K
09-20-2008, 10:16 PM
I found this old house in the woods going back a ways. I did this from a refferance photo. 16 /24 acrylic on masonite C&C WELCOME

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/131537-1072.jpg

PETE

PattiLou
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Wow - You have some great trees going there. From my view I think maybe the porch might have a little bit of a perspective issue and that can be fixed easy enough. Looking real good so far though. Thanks for sharing. :wave:

Bob Rooney
09-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Perspective is a little off and you need to ground the house a little better. Your on the right track though. Thanks for showing it.

ExpressiveAngie
09-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Pete the top half of the painting is really beautiful! :thumbsup: but I agree that the old house needs to be grounded...you can do it, I know you can because the top half is so well done with the shadows, trees and sky~

edtree
09-21-2008, 09:35 AM
:wave: Hi Pete!

What a great painting! Terrific subject matter - I love old dilapidated houses in paintings. I agree with the other posters though, there are some perspective issues. Also, I think the area under the porch would be improved by darkening the shadowed areas.

Back to the perspective though - I think the house might look okay if you corrected the angles of the porch floors. I wonder too if you might consider taking out the whitish wood in the foreground. The painting does not really need it and it distracts from the focal point. On the plus side though, the trees/foliage and the sky are absolutely perfect in this piece and you've done really well rendering the look of old wood on the house. Just a bit more work and this should be ready to frame and hang! :D

Elizabeth

TxAggieDarlin
09-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I just found this and wanted to say I really like this and good thing you captured it when you did, it might be gone by now. Love the trees

amotwell
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Pete, I've seen a bunch of these houses here in Georgia, and I'm suspecting that house might have leaned all sorts of ways, so your perspective might not be as far off as some might think! :)

That said, the floorboards of the porch are definitely out of kilter. The columns, however, look much like a formerly gorgeous old house in my own neighborhood.

halthepainter
09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Pete: Since you signed the painting, I assume it is finished.

The sky, trees and most of the old house are great. The colors used in the house are quite pleasant.

It seems as if you rushed to bottom half of the painting. The building seems to float without support.
The column at the left end of the porch doesn't seem to touch the roof of the porch (that might be the small scale of our image?). The porch appears to be hanging down from the house???

The top half of the paintings seems to be fairly tight but the bottom seems to be sketched in, especially the fencing. The contrast in styles is a little jarring.

Prespective issues have been voiced and you might revisit your roof line when considering these issues.