PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Motor Inn

C_Line
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Xposted from Landscapes:

Was driving downtown early one morning a couple weeks ago and it was so foggy - made for some neat photos. The Mayo Hotel is a famous Tulsa landmark that harkens to the city's history when Tulsa was the Oil Capitol of the World and was built in the 1920s. As I was driving, I caught sight of the neat sign for the Mayo's parking garage and thought it would make a nice little painting. Here's my take - acrylics on an 8 x 10" piece of Ampersand Aquabord. C & C welcome.

http://cwforum.net/userpix/76_Mayo_Motor_Inn_1.jpg

Linee
09-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Nicely rendered. Great atmosphere. I like the dark values giving value to the focal area. :)

Aires
09-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I can see why your fingers itched photograph and then to paint this scene. The misty day made for a great painting and brought back many happy memories of when I lived in Tulsa a long time ago. Very nice.:thumbsup:

susme48
09-20-2008, 09:21 PM
This is really nice!!

Bizkit
09-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Great job, I just love these kinds of pictures that capture old buildings or landmarks...!!!

ExpressiveAngie
09-20-2008, 10:09 PM
this is really good stuff!:clap: you should do it larger!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
this is ready for a frame- love the mood and texture

peggy_c
09-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Very well done. I live in Tulsa and your painting is a perfect replica. I love the way the more modern buildings are faded back into the fog.

OkeeKat
09-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Beautiful Celeste!!

amaze_1101
09-21-2008, 04:10 AM
Just love your neat easy style Celeste, and I would love to see how you apply paint to the canvas. There is so much I could learn from you.

You have a great eye for a painting.

edtree
09-21-2008, 09:51 AM
:wave: Beautiful painting! The subtle palette works SO well. I love the deco meets modern day depicted here between the signage and the cars...and the way you've painted the foggy atmosphere is awesome! I agree, you have a good eye for what makes for a great painting, Celeste!

As for suggestions, maybe take a look at the building to our left; it appears to be tilting in. Other than that, it is perfect! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

arl
09-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Beautiful. I like the atmospheric background.

C_Line
09-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks so much friends. So nice to hear from a fellow Tulsan Peggy! Would love to meet you - why not come by The Pearl Gallery this Thursday night - we're having an opening night with several artists works showing including a few of mine and another fellow WCer from Bixby - Larry Clingman. We'd love to meet you.

As to that "tilting" building...actually both buildings on left and right tilt inward to give the feeling of the "tunnel" effect of being in amongst tall buildings. It was intentional. I also think it adds a little visual tension to the scene. I'll study it for a while to decide if I want to tweak it a little. Thanks for that - someone in landscapes mentioned the same thing.

La Paz
09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I am always impressed by people who do city scenes. There is so much going on. But, this is wonderful. You have beautifully simplified a very complex scene.

What is Ampersand aquaboard like to work on? Looking for alternative supports to stretched canvas,

LavenderFrost
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, I don't know about taking pictures while driving, lol, but nice work!

C_Line
09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah ... I usually pull over or as in this case, wait til I'm at a stop light. This was taken through the front window.

Ampersand Aquabord is awesome stuff for acrylics!