PDA

View Full Version : I Can Do What I Want To!!...so there?

susme48
09-20-2008, 04:29 PM
This is one I have been working on for almost a week. I have tried to follow all the suggestions I have been given so far...to the best of my abilities. Not sure that I still have the "look" that I remember so well, even tho' 28 years have passed. This is my middle daughter...who was at grandma's house trying to sneak into the walk-in pantry. She loved to dare you to punish her...actually taunted you...she stood there for over 20 minutes just holding the knob, but not opening the door...just to see whether she would get spanked for "not opening the door"...what a kid!

First there is the ref photo...not so great...but it sure captured the look I recall :wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/51170-mandiref.jpg
Then a series of progressions...:lol: the look in her eyes and the tuck of her chin, as well as that taunting little smirk seemed to totally elude me. But I kept trying...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/51170-allmandis4.jpg
With Kathie's help and some pointers from Elaine and Eliza...I hope this is a bit closer. All C&C is welcome, and needed. I would really like to nail this one...not sure my daughter would...but I would...:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/51170-mandi11x.jpg

Bizkit
09-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Looks really good Susan, I like the progression photos youve included, I see youve been really working diligently with this...!!!!

ExpressiveAngie
09-20-2008, 06:43 PM
The end result is worth the trying obviously...because you got the 'tude!~ :thumbsup:

Linee
09-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Looks like you got it! She's a real cutie and you captured her impishness. :) I really like your treatment of her hair. I wonder if a wash of warm ochre or oxide might warm her skin tone up a bit. Either way, she's a beauty.

susme48
09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks, Mike!!

Angie, thank you!

Might help Linda...I always forget about washes...I get afraid I will mess up what I have...:lol:, but I did notice that she had a yellower skin tone than this. Thanks for the help!

amotwell
09-20-2008, 07:28 PM
You definitely have her likeness, Susan! You don't need to do anything more to have a really good representation. However, if you want to get to 101% :thumbsup:, you might want to look at the shadows I've indicated in orange and the highlight I indicated in white. My shapes aren't exactly right, but they should point you in the right direction to fine tune the skin tones. I just noticed after I uploaded that there might be more of a shadow down and to the left of her nose, too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/58881-susans_painting.jpg

Hope that helps!

Aires
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I had a daughter just like the one you describe - push to the limit of mama's patience and then stand there with that look of so there! ha You've done a lot of work and come out with a keeper. It brings back a lot of memories to me so I'm sure it will be a picture you'll treasure, even if daughter doesn't. Great going.

RPut
09-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm thinking---Wow! You captured the spirit and likeness very well. I agree with toning the skin tones tho. Great Work! How big is it? Ruthie

Katwyld
09-20-2008, 08:21 PM
I think ya got 'er, Susan! Angela has given some good advice, I think, and I don't know that I could do nearly as well as you have, so I will just enjoy... and I'll continue to be glad I didn't have kids. hehehe

susme48
09-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I wonder if I will EVER remember to put the size :o ...sheesh you would think after a year I would remember...:lol: It is 8x10 canvas panel.

Thank you Aires, Ruth and Kat (hey Kat...I got a cute 'little' boy I can lend you for a few months....that would crank up your gladness level....:lol:)

Angie...thank you! I tried to put those shadows in but subtlely...:o...did not want them to be too glaring (when I tried they looked too separate from the rest of the skin)...I will go back and try to add them with better blending.

Linee
09-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't have a problem with how the face is shadowed. Maybe just a bit more in areas, but I can see the subtle shadowing you've done. It's good to ere on the side of caution since acrylics dry darker. Sometimes it is easy to go too dark. All this to say, take it easy if you plan to beef up those shadows. :) I just LOVE that hair!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
09-20-2008, 10:18 PM
sue this is great i love how you got there!

susme48
09-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Angela....I apologize for calling you Angie, it was a slip of the fingers...washed my hands today, and cannot do a thing with them...:) Again...thanks!

Thanks, Linda! Have learned at least that much the hard way....if I had one wish, it would be that they did not dry so dark...lol. I have been accused of painting to dark...I respond with I did not paint to dark...it just dried that way...:o

Joy, thank you!

OkeeKat
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Susan , looks great, the fixes realy turned out well.. Just one little thing.. the smudge under HER left eye.. need to make the line under the eye straighter.. will try to fix in photoshop for ya..you have worked so hard on this little one.:clap:
Her hair and dress turned out wonderful!!
tried to fix the line under the eye to show you what I meant.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/137439-51170-mandi11xKP.jpg

susme48
09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks, Kathie....I will keep plugging away...maybe I will give it to her to remind her...:lol:

edtree
09-21-2008, 07:19 AM
:wave: I like this as is, Susan! It truly is an excellent likeness. I didn't mind nor really even noticed the lack of strong face shading. To me, for the style of the painting, I think it works! You've really captured the "you caught me but I'm going to do it anyway" expression in both eyes and the set of the mouth. You also did a fantastic job on the hand!!!!!!

Your hard work shows. One of your best, Susan! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

susme48
09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Elizabeth! I appreciate your comments!

LavenderFrost
09-21-2008, 12:01 PM
You really captured that look!

zoropb
09-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Very cute Sus!

Sergio

HOllyLL
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
thank you for showing the WIP..it's very helpful! Beautiful portrait..you should be proud!!

susme48
09-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks Sergio!

Holly, thank you!!

I think I redid this at least 8-9 times today, and around the 6th I was seriously considering gessoing it and starting over. Everytime I checked it on the pc, something more was wrong...sigh! Then I did something different (for me anyway), I copied her...and then cut out her head and put it on the painting. I lined up the eyes and realized how far off angle her mouth was..then I tilted it just a bit...and voila...almost had it. So, I adjusted things just a bit for the "correct" angle. Not gonna bother with the other views...there are so little changes in each...I just did a few minutes at a time...due to someone' behavior...:wink2:

I worked on the shading alot...:lol: and her mouth and chin forever...:o The colors are not perfect...on my monitor anyway...I played and played...but they look pretty good in RL.

So here it is...and I hope you like it...because I'm not sure I want to see it for awhile...:lol:!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2008/51170-mandi18.jpg

AMuse
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
LOL Susan... I think you've got it now!

I love the hair! Seriously great!

susme48
09-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks Kathy...I appreciate your looking...I might never have started if I had known it would be so hard....:lol: I mistakenly thought it would be alot simpler...:o

OkeeKat
09-22-2008, 02:25 AM
WOW SUSAN!!! Awesome!!
You realy captured her now.. its perfect!!!
No crits from me.. I'd say SIGN it and Seal it!!!
congrats I know you worked realy hard on this one. and it surely shows!!
A quote comes to mind my husbands grandad said about my daughter...
she's 50 miles of Bumpy road!! and it shows!!
Fabulous finish!! DONT TOUCH IT NOW!!:clap:
:heart:

TxAggieDarlin
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM
JUST TOO CUTE...love the painting, but she is adorable and I have SEEN that attitude lol.. Great job

Linee
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Good job, Susan! I, too, have a daughter like that. :)

sveldstra
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I was so glad to see that you kept at it. It's absolutely wonderful.:clap: :clap: :clap: You deserve a standing ovation for this one. You inspire me not to give up even when you have one of those paintings (or children) that just fights you all the way. I guess if it had been too easy it just wouldn't have been her. A tribute to a mother's love and perseverance.

susme48
09-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Kathy and TxAggieDarlin!! I appreciate all the support!! It truly was a tough fight...:o

amotwell
09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great job, Susan!

susme48
09-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you Linda, Sharon and Angie!!

Linda...you have my complete understanding...hopefully you will not go thru' ALL that I did with her...:lol: but one great thing is that she turned into a wonderful adult!

MRSBB
09-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Susan. This is another one I've been checking in on when I get a chance and you really, really captured that defiant look. Kudo's, it's great.....Lenore

~~Kathleen
09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh My Susan!
You got her to rights!
Don't you just love that look now?
Then it was a different story I am sure.
So small and so daring....:evil:
And they didn't even know that there were laws protecting children then!:lol:
~~Kathleen

susme48
09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks, Lenore!! I appreciate your checking in!

Kathleen, thank you!! You are right about not liking it much then :lol:

You should have heard my oldest's mouth when they first found out that you were not supposed to spank....she threatened to call on us. After her dad got done with a long 'explanation', they all behaved for awhile :)