PDA

View Full Version : Trio

billmahler
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-20-2008/111636_calastrio2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Trio
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Sweetbabyr - a good photographer and a wonderful painter posted this on the RIL.<br>Another in the paint-it-once-and-leave-it-alone and paint-what-you-like-and-don't-worry-about-the-buyer series.<br>I'm trying to paint more often and paint more quickly. I'll never catch Spyderbabe, who whacks out little beauties by the hour, but I might catch JJWoodee.<br>I gave up trying to get the foto to match the original. <br>The purples in the foto are more gray in the original.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?<br>

Spyderbabe
09-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Ah Bill, the other part of the equation is quality and your at 100% with this beauty.
The paint it and leave it school of thought really works in preventing a lot of overworking and second guessing.
In the photo was there a cast shadow from the stems?

Corby
09-20-2008, 12:10 PM
it is fresh and beautiful, devoid of any sense of labor, it just grew as did the flowers themselves. Nevermind the purple cast. I am convinced that all cameras belong to the same purple tribe, Some just more so. (like mine)

Neyl
09-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Beautiful - love how the brushwork is evident even in the photo. Every brush mark right on the nail. The lighting strong and directional. Very inspiring. Nice to see a painting where first instincts are given reign. Interesting that your instinct was to place the shadow from the vase almost but not quite exactly horizontal. I'd not dare, I'd either go exactly horizontal or more likely my instinct is always to go for a distinct angle.

tbezesky
09-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Beautiful painting, I like the softness and the yellows and purples.

Ronni
09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I find it interesting, the flowers are so large comparing to the small vase, and it is obvious the three need each other for the balance, and this is a nice story about standing together!!! Very Purple!

tgsloth
09-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I remain a big fan. This one has got your confident brushwork. I do suggest the left background has gotten overly chalky/misty.

Bizkit
09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Beautiful job, and as Bob said very confident brush work!!

_emily_
09-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow... I just love this! Beautiful!

billmahler
09-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.
Kathleen
was there a cast shadow from the stems?

No. The shadows of the stems are out of the picture. This was a strange light, coming from the viewer's left but behind the subject, so as Neyl noted, the shadow leans toward the viewer.
TG
This one has got your confident brushwork.
Thank you for noticing that. I keep working toward a one stroke and finished technique.
I was about 80% successful with this one.
It looks casual, but it isn't.
A lot of design and sketching preceded those strokes.

the left background has gotten overly chalky/misty.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Correct. The camera ate my texture!

Gemini IX
09-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Beautiful!

zoropb
09-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Pretty pretty pretty!

Did I mention this is Pretty? Well it sure is pretty!
No way your wife gave you any negative on this Bill. lol
Sergio

billmahler
09-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for looking and commenting, Sergio and Ian
No way your wife gave you any negative on this Bill
She gave this one a single vertical headshake and no eye rolls. That is her equivalent of the Oscar, Tony, Ryder Cup and Super Bowl trophy combined.

MRSBB
09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi Bill. I can't paint like this, but I sure know a winner when I see it. You just keep listening to your wife, she's a very smart lady. This painting is so free flowing, it reminds me of a beautiful dance. Very elegant. Keep having fun........Lenore

lunchbox
09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Bill,
Ah, that special nod - it is the same one I look for, and hope to get, from my husband whenever I finish a painting. :)
I am still recalling that knock out “sursum corda”. I like your pops of color, which add a liveliness to your paintings.

RichDFischer
09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Very refreshing, I think the "paint it and leave it" is a great way to do a painting and think you have done a great job of not overworking!