PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Buff /Buff Titanium Question????

mickeyw3340
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I saw these colors at the store today in both Goldens and Liquitex. Pigment is PW6. I am fascinated by them. Didn't buy one yet because I could not think of an instant use for them. Do you use them? If so, for what purpose? In my mind I see the color on a beach, sandstone cliffs, sky horizon tint, splattered rocks and gravel. Come on, talk me into going back after work and buying a tube. :lol:

JamesDFarrow
09-17-2008, 03:36 PM
It's paint! What other reason do you need!

:lol:

James :)

idylbrush
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Use it, love it, use it as a soft white for many mixes, not as blue a titanium white, makes wonderful warm mixes.

Andrew
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Blend your own and see if you like it. It is just titanium white with a touch of iron oxide yellow (yellow ochre light).

Andrew

Aires
09-17-2008, 04:02 PM
It is sometimes preferred for mixing colors than the cold white of Titanium. Perhaps not bought so much as a tube color as for a mixing base. At least one portrait teacher preferred it to start her flesh tones. Not a necessity but you might be surprised at the warmer mixes you can get with it.

timelady
09-17-2008, 04:23 PM
a friend of mine uses it on all her underpaintings, usually doing the whole canvas buff titanium to cover the white gesso.

objectivistartist
09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
It's paint! What other reason do you need! Well Said ! :lol::lol::lol:

phobden
09-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Use it all the time. Nice warm white though darker then TW.

Einion
09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't buy paints like this because I think that colours of this kind - so easy to make on the palette - aren't really worth paying for.

Many version of Buff Titanium can be replicated with a simple mixture of Titanium White and a little Raw Umber which is kinda easy to do! I already have both of those, but there are other ways of mixing something similar if necessary. If desired you can even make up a batch and keep it in a 35mm film canister or syringe if you don't want to have to make some up each time you paint, although with a two-colour mix...

For the same reason I don't have any convenience mixtures, including greens; if I wanted a large amount of something similar to Sap Green for example I'd mix it and store it.

Einion

JeffG
09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
An acquaintance of mine does alot of figurative works, and loves it. I do landscapes, and some animals (sheep) in my paintings, and I just find it too greenish & deadening for general use. BTW, I don't use acrylics very much anymore, just oil and egg tempera.

Mixael
09-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Another name for this is "Unbleached Titanium White". I have heard of it, but don't use it and don't plan to get any. As others have said, I can mix a bit if I find I NEED that color. It would otherwise sit unused in my stuff.

Michael