PDA

View Full Version : layers

wanderfast
03-21-2000, 11:14 PM
I am wondering about painting layers on layers of acrylics. I have put down one layer of paint...let it dry...put down another on that..etc....I can do this with oil but how about with acrylics?

Drew Davis
03-22-2000, 12:16 AM
Yes, layering acrylic is safe. Safer than oils, in a way, with no fat-over-lean problems to worry about.

blackbird1
03-22-2000, 11:40 AM
Hi,
you've already got an answer, but just thought I'd chime in. Acrylics, no matter how many layers, become one plastic layer. (if you painted it on a slick surface, say glass they could be peeled off as one...ive never tried that, but thats what they say)Its where they fly.

vita brevis
04-04-2000, 08:54 AM
Whats the matter with wet into wet re:acrylics? If fast drying is a problem retardents are available.And its fun.

bettyfaye
03-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I am wondering about painting layers on layers of acrylics. I have put down one layer of paint...let it dry...put down another on that..etc....I can do this with oil but how about with acrylics?
I THINK YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH ACRYLICS. WHAT I DO, IS COAT CANVAS WITH A SEALER, THEN I PUT A COAT OF VARNISH DOWN, LET IT DRY, AND I,M READY TO PAINT. TRY IT. BETTY FAYE

LisaArt
03-12-2005, 03:13 AM
Hi, I put so many layers down (have to actually to cover the canvas properly) And...I hever had a problem! bye for now :wave:

lensman
03-13-2005, 01:38 AM
I THINK YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH ACRYLICS. WHAT I DO, IS COAT CANVAS WITH A SEALER, THEN I PUT A COAT OF VARNISH DOWN, LET IT DRY, AND I,M READY TO PAINT. TRY IT. BETTY FAYE

Umm, Betty, the original message was posted 5 years ago.... I think she may have tried it by now :wink2:

Glenn

tubby2legs
03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Lensman that was really good for a laugh :D

Einion
03-15-2005, 07:45 PM
For the record you can layer to your heart's content with acrylic. Layering is actually much safer than with oils as you can use many more layers than are safe with oil paint as well as not being restricted about film thicknesses, drying times and so on: thin over thick; thin over thin; thick over thin; thick over thick; thick, thin, thick, thin; etc. etc. :)

Einion