PDA

View Full Version : ?What to Show?

RPut
09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Hi All, If you could enter only 2 pieces in a community art show, would you pick 2 completely different pieces, or 2 that somewhat go together?? I need to have my registration in by Friday, and I've been putting it off cuz I don't what 2 pieces to put in! Thanks for any help! Ruthie

~~Kathleen
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Different, there-by showing your diversity!
~~Kathleen
Who says "Hi Ruthie!":wave:

Katwyld
09-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I would go with two different pieces... that's what I'm doing for the show I'm entering later this month... one landscape, one animal portrait... Pretty much for the same reason as Kathleen said, showing your range as it were...

Good luck!

susme48
09-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Sounds about right to me! The best of luck!!

OkeeKat
09-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Agree with the rest!! GOOD LUCK RUTHIE!!

connievanwinssen
09-16-2008, 04:31 AM
I would pick 2 pieces that have the same (your) style. Subject doesn't matter.

Antony Burt
09-16-2008, 09:04 AM
The phrase "If you've seen one, you've seen them all" comes to mind.

Use the second painting to display something totally different (style, subject, mood...)

Good luck on narrowing it down to just two! Have fun at the show. :)

Lady Carol
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
The phrase "If you've seen one, you've seen them all" comes to mind.

Use the second painting to display something totally different (style, subject, mood...)

This is so not true in the case of art.
I would go for pieces that are the same style. Jurors want to see that you have developed your own particular style. They do not want to see they you are all over the place.

Katwyld
09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes, but what about subject matter? I like to think my style comes through whether I'm doing a landscape or a still life... Am I right in thinking that, or is it really hard to see that the same artist has done the different subjects?

Antony Burt
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
If they are judged as a pair then perhaps, but if the restriction is just to keep people from entering a years worth of paintings, and keeping the entries to a workable amount... then perhaps a variety may be the way to go.

At our local fair, the artist's identity is blocked from the judges and we can only enter one painting per class (portrait, landscape...) Each class is judged on the individual entries without consideration to other paintings by the same artists.

RPut
09-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, here are the ones I'm thinking of. The lake ones could go together, or a lake and the oil rig/cat to show different subjects. Now, what if by some miracle, someone wanted to buy? If the two lake pics could go together, there could be a bigger sale. (I'm not expecting a sale, but.. would be an awesome dream as I have never had a sale yet.) So, I'm still undecided. But then, the object may not to be to make a sale, but to show my work. Okay I'm thinking aloud, so I think I will go for different......Thanks for all your suggestions! Just which ones? Ruthie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2008/117502-7-31-08_006.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2008/117502-June_08_513.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2008/117502-IMG_1625.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2008/117502-Lake_08_134.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
They are all 16 x 20.

Katwyld
09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I love that second lake one... as far as which other one... I'm not sure... that's a hard decision... I love ths kitty, but that's just me, really. hehehe But I would say you at least have to put that second lake picture in...

clementine
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
IMO it's good to put two works of the same tonality so :or 1and2 or 3and4!
clem

Mixael
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Ruthie, my opinion is to use the 2nd lake and the oil rig. Of course, YOU have to decide, but that would be MY choice.

Michael

Antony Burt
09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I would exhibite the second lake image, it is so tranquil. The first one with the white leaveless trees seems sad to me. I would also exhibit the last one, as I love the humour in it. Whatever your choice though, have fun, and good luck.

edtree
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
:wave: I feel your pain. I had to decide on just two not long ago and it was not easy. In the end, I went with just ONE! lol! For these you've shown us, I agree with Clem: either choose #1 with #2 or use #3 with #4. Actually, 3 and 4 have the most originality, in my opinion. Also, they show both your personal style and your versatility. Hope this helps! :D

Elizabeth

MRSBB
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Who knows what the judges will like. I don't believe they should be the same. I won at our local fair with a buffalo, an indian girl and a sky painting. All different and different mediums. If I was looking to buy one of your paintings it would be the #2 lake and cat. Tough decision, good luck in whatever you choose........Lenore

JamieWG
09-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Ruthie, my opinion is to use the 2nd lake and the oil rig. Of course, YOU have to decide, but that would be MY choice.

Michael

Those would be my choices as well. Are any of these well known local scenes? if so, local scenes always go over well and are easier to sell, IMO.

Jamie

Linee
09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I would have a hard time picking between lake scene #2 and the cat, but I'd vote for the oil rig for sure.

susme48
09-16-2008, 11:58 PM
#2 and the oil rig I think.

RPut
09-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Okay, are you guys all doing this on purpose?? You want to confuse me even more than I am already! Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm thinking that I like the #2 lake scene--it's my favorite and the rig cuz it's different. Or maybe the cat. Well, I could do the 2 lake scenes, they aren't local here, but are farther north of the state. But, then I like the rig and cat as they tell a story...Oh, well, I have till Friday to decide! Thanks again for your time!!
Ruthie

Chia
09-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Okay, I'll throw in my vote for lake#2 and the oil rig. It's mostly personal preference, although I feel they are the more successful in the group. Which ones would you LEAST like to part with? - Chances are, those are the ones of which you are the most proud.

RPut
10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
GUESS WHAT!!!! I sold my first painting at a real art show and a real person! (not family or friend giveaways!!) And it sold the day before the show opened, and someone else wanted it too but the lady had to tell him it already sold! WAHOO!! I'm pretty excited! Can you tell?? Guess which one? The Sunset Oil Rig! Someone from a neighboring town who is moving to Texas and wants to take something of North Dakota with them--huh? Aren't there tons of oil rigs in Texas? What ever! This was the show that you could only put in two pieces. And this was a really upscale do. Wine and hordourves, and lots and lots of people. When I left, only 2-3 other pieces had sold yet. I didn't stay long cuz I was by myself and didn't know anybody as I am so new the art world in town. The show will be for the rest of the month. Anyway, thanks for listening to me blubber along and letting me share!! Ruth

Chia
10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Congratulations Ruthie! How exciting - a sale before the show even opened - that's BIG!!!

edtree
10-07-2008, 09:39 PM
:wave: This is GREAT news Ruthie! I'm so glad you shared it with us; congratulations on the sale! :D :clap: :D

Elizabeth

susme48
10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Yay Ruthie!!!!

~~Kathleen
10-08-2008, 12:36 AM
GOOD ONE!
I am pleased for you! :)
~~Kathleen

RPut
10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Thank you Coralee, Elizabeth, Susan, and Kathleen! You and all the WC Friends are the best! I never would have painted as I have without you, and your guidance. Thank You!! Ruth

Grace5
10-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Congratulations Ruthie.

sveldstra
10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Congratulations. If I had money to buy other peoples art, I would have gone for that one too. (or maybe the cat). You are on a roll, keep painting.

Antony Burt
10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Way to go!

It must have been a trip to have two offers on the same painting before the show even started. Good choice in taking the rig to the show. :)

RPut
10-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry to keep bugging you all---but I also made the paper!! AND If you google the Bismarck Tribune (ND) my painting is one of their slide show pics!
Ruth

ExpressiveAngie
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Ruthie ...i have no experience and will not answer your question but i have to tell you that kitty painting really made me smile! :clap:

~~Kathleen
10-08-2008, 04:21 PM
I googled it, and it is the FIRST pic on the sildes!
Way to Go Ruthie!
Well done, and I can just bet how pleased you are with this.
I remember your painting this, and how much work you put into it!
A well deserved recognition to my mind, and an even better sale.
~~Kathleen