PDA

View Full Version : watusi calves

winecountry
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I saw these cows at Safari West, and to me they are awesomely beautiful, not to mention they have the biggest horns I've ever seen.

This 12x12 oil on panel did not succeed exactly as I wanted, which was to have a study in mood and value, I did get it right for a while, then just painted myself away from that and never got it back.

I also wanted to try out some new colors from Robert Doak, Transparent Sepia and Pyrol Red, to that I added his French ocher extra light and Charchol Black and Titanium white from Graham. These are the main colors I used with a touch of true Chinese Vermillion.

I will enter it in a local fair next month, it is my first try at this kind of animal...if I can get more photos of the watsui I will do more, I want to do a grown animal but haven't got a photo I like yet. see attachment for the grown up's.

I'm still tweaking this if you have suggestions. I'm going to try some glazes to bring it together more...it looks a little better in person than the photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2008/103030-watusi_calves_oil_sm.jpg

jody007
09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh I love the colors you put into this painting! Beautiful work as always!
Jody

PatrickHedges
09-15-2008, 11:17 PM
You wouldn't need too much in the way of glaze as it already seems 'together'. Lovely work Colleen.

OkeeKat
09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
WOW this is fantastic!! You did a wonderful job of capturing this little guy.. those are amazing horns on the big ones!! thanks for sharing!

FaeLynn
09-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey Colleen! This is a great painting! I can't see a thing to change! I love the little guy, makes you want to go cuddle him. Man, I thought the longhorns out here had big ones, but these ones you photographed beat em all to heck! lol, there's a guy in our motorcycle group who has horns on his handlebars, I'd challenge him to try those on for size! lol he'd have to buy a bigger bike! Good job though, I love the colors too.

winecountry
09-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Thanks Faelynn, hard to believe those little nubs will grow so big, isn't it?
Patrick I agree it seems ok, only I know it falls short of what I really wanted, but it holds as a painting of the calves
Thanks Kathie
Jody, have you posted lately? I don't think I've seen much of your work around or maybe I missed something

Ceci
09-16-2008, 04:27 AM
great one colleen, love the colors
ceci

AngieR
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
HOw'd I miss this post! This is beautiful colleen! I just love the overall red, warm feeling and the composition of the cows. I like square formats and I think you did an outstanding job!

winecountry
09-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks Angie and Ceci
I was able to cool the highlights down a bit today...will repost when it's done

timwootton
09-17-2008, 05:55 AM
It's a stunning painting Colleen - love the relaxed attitudes you've achieved and the quality of light is very true. Beautiful work.