PDA

View Full Version : Reworked Peach Tree

arl
09-14-2008, 09:13 AM
I have been reworking this painting; 7 by 9 inch mount board. I mentioned that the photo was frontal lighting and I gave my painting light from the left. I think my form shadows are too dark; I tried to darken my mid tone as well as lighten the form shadow but there is only so much dark mid tone for a peach. Same thing with the light on the peaches. I don't think the light on my peaches is that visible. All comments and advice would be helpful. Thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/114108-Peach_Tree.jpg

amotwell
09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, Arlene, you've made a ton of progress on this!

To me, your midtones look fine, but you can take the very brightest points all the way to white and your very darkest points as dark as you'd like (I'd say black, but some painters don't use black, your choice). If you take your darks much darker, you'll probably want to darken some of your leaves/background, but I'd say what you have can stand some lighter/white highlights without changing the background.

You might want to watch the contours on your peaches. I think some of your shapes got muddled a bit while you were reaching for the right colors. Then again, I haven't seen your reference photo . . .

Linee
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I like the rich color of the peaches. :)

arl
09-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Thank you both for your help.