PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Challenge - The Spectres first task.

JesterDev
09-14-2008, 04:55 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/14-Sep-2008/150355-evilpumk.gifWelcome to the Halloween Challenge!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/150355-evilpumk.gif

If you have been reading the Oil Gusher lately you no doubt know this has been discussed a few times already. I cannot take credit for the idea, that goes to Bill and Pat. It is, however, my honor to host this special challenge, and I hope that you enjoy it. This is actually part one of two Halloween Challenges. I decided to do one at a time and let everyone who wants to participate focus on just one challenge at a time. So with that in mind I am starting this first challenge a little early. There is a bit of a twist with this challenge however, it's in the form of a story to get you in the Halloween mood! - Hope you like it!

Remember it's all in fun, so no one should be getting too scared, or should they? ...

It's getting close to that time of year again, when the veil between the worlds becomes thin, the nights become darker, and ghosts and other creatures began to walk among the living. They care not who they haunt, for the very act itself gives them pleasure. So without haste, here is your Halloween challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/150355-graves4.gif

It's dark, and it's cold. I know you may not believe me, but I must admit that I am in a bit of a predicament. I had better start from the beginning so you can better understand my situation. I was walking home this eve and became lost in a thick fog. Before long I became rather frightened at the idea that I may not find my way home! After several minutes of wandering around I began to hear a soft voice calling my name in the distance. And I followed it until I discovered that I was being led to a grave yard. There I stood, my body shivered and I did not know if it was more from the cold, or from the thought of entering the place that stood before me. My attempts to peer deeper into the graves failed at first, but then I could see an image standing some distance away. It motioned for me to come closer, and I felt as though I could not resist its call. Almost unwillingly I stepped forth and after some time I found myself face to face with a spectre, the likes of which I had never seen. I could not tell whether it was male or female as the body was old, and little was left that would show any recognition of it's former self. It was not until it spoke at such a close proximity that I realized it was a woman, or what I believe was once a woman. The mist surrounding us was thick and moist, and the wind began to pick up as she spoke.

“Should you ever want to leave this place, and end this night you must complete two tasks for me. Tis' fall time again and tis' time for remembrance. Not all ghosts haunt the living for the delight of such things as many believe. Many of them seek out the living in an attempt to regain some of what they have lost, and forgotten. For what it feels like to be alive if even for just a moment.

I have three images from Halloweens past that I expect you to examine closely. You may not leave this grave yard until you discover the truth about Halloween, and it's true meaning. Paint these images for me, and place them on my grave before the morning breaks the sky, and you will be saved from an eternal stay in this place. This is my first task, and I shall seek you out when the time is right, to complete the second.”

With that the ghostly spectre faded away, and in her place where three images placed gently on some sheets of parchment. Along side the grave stone I found some crude materials with which to complete the paintings. Fortunately for me, I have my laptop and camera handy. So I am asking all of you for your help with these paintings so I can escape an eternity in the grave. After all the ghost never said I could not have help painting the images!

So here I am, sitting below an old oak in almost pure darkness. The only light I have is from the screen of my laptop. The wind is cold, and unbearable and I need your help! I cannot do this alone with these rather crude tools left beside the grave of this ghoul. I believe it is her intent to have me stay by means of giving me such items to complete these paintings. I will be checking the forums for paintings every so often. I hope someone out there reads this and is willing to help. Once you painting is complete I can copy it to the parchment.

Here is the first image:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/150355-VintageHalloweenPostcard_752948867.jpg

And image two:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/150355-VintageHalloweenPostcard_1442756836.jpg

Here is the final image:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/150355-277442922_dc59cc5004.jpg
-

Note: All images are from post cards from the very early 1900's that are now in the public domain. I can provide larger images if needed.

Paint one, or paint them all, the choice is yours. Just remember to have some fun!

Scarefishcrow
09-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh My, Oh Dear. The spirits trapped Michael, I fear.
He sent us a message from the graveyard to say
He desperately needs help, or there he will stay!

At this season he knows from graveyards to stay clear!
But obsessed with things spooky he would not stay away.
We warned him about this and it was just yesterday!

What now? What now? Can we free him from his trap?
I've never painted people with pencils, much less with OP,
I hope more folks help that have skills better than ME!

Whence came this foul spirit to drop this in our lap?
From dark and dread places that make us shake at our knee,
He demands new OP paintings of those old postcards, three!

Maybe I can, maybe I can't, but I'll at least try, poor Michal to save.
I know if I was held prisoner, caught in this demon's mess,
He'd paint his poor heart out; that's what I'd guess.

So even though he knows better than to walk on a grave,
Please help him by painting, your best, nothing less,
Or Michael will be stuck with this new forwarding address!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/108067-AN048.GIF http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/108067-AN1046.GIF http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/108067-AN105.GIF

Bill:thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
09-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Michael,

It's not much of an offering, but at least something to let you know we are working on helping you out!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/108067-9-14-2008_2-20-38_PM_0086.jpg

Hang on.

Bill

Pat Isaac
09-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Good job, Bill and maybe Michael will have his task completed by all of us....You are off to a good start..
Okay are we all on board to help Michael with his task....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/35760-hallShowLetterCAJ1YY34.gif

Pat

I'll stickie this and bill, I didn't know you were a poet....
Thanks so much for doing this, Michael...

Scarefishcrow
09-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I'll stickie this and bill, I didn't know you were a poet....
Thanks so much for doing this, Michael...

Thanks, Pat. I don't know about a poet. More like Dr. "Souse"!:lol:

JesterDev
09-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks Bill! That is actually quite a good job. And I like the poem also. First time I'm in a poem!

Getting cold out here, and this oak tree is really no good for my back.

Scarefishcrow
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Bill! That is actually quite a good job. And I like the poem also. First time I'm in a poem!

Getting cold out here, and this oak tree is really no good for my back.

Well, probably one of the few poems I've written! Just call me Dr. "Souse".

Actually, I did that one hurridly, and just wanted to get something out here so you'd know we haven't forgotten you. I'll try to do another one today. Won't be real refined, just quick sketches since I've got some surf pounded rocks that are giving me headaches. But, hang on and maybe some of our other OP friends will be able to do a better job and help you get out of there!

Next time you better listen to us when we warn you about graveyards this time of the year!!!!!

RainySea
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Michael, such a cool challenge!!! Bill, very cool poem. . . and Pat I really like that goulie ghostie you have there !

Scarefishcrow
09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Michael,

I set my press up today and used it for the first time making a print for your Halloween problem. I used Cretacolor Aquastic watersoluble OP to lay down color on an 8x10 sheet of plexiglass (even remembered to print the lettering backwards to make it come out forwards). Pressed it using damp, soaked, Arches 140lb. Watercolor Paper and moderate pressure through the press.

It didn't come out great, but then again I've never done this before so I'm going to count it a semi-success. Maybe the third one will be the charm. Hope you aren't getting too cold out there in the graveyard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2008/108067-9-16-2008_8-31-25_PM_0087.jpg

RainySea
09-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Bill, I just love the fearful expression on your little pumpkin girl's face!!!!

Scarefishcrow
09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Bill, I just love the fearful expression on your little pumpkin girl's face!!!!

Thanks, Rainy.

JesterDev
09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
The more you work with that press the better-much like anything else. Sorry I haven't said much, my fingers are frozen and numb.

It's not too bad I guess. I'm not entirely alone :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/150355-graveCLR.gif
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/150355-skeleton01.gif

Pat Isaac
09-17-2008, 07:14 AM
First print is fine, experiment away. Maybe you could try using more pigment..

Pat

Scarefishcrow
09-17-2008, 01:59 PM
First print is fine, experiment away. Maybe you could try using more pigment..

Pat
Thanks, Michael and Pat.

I think the problem was applying the waxy op dry on the plexiglass. I think I might need to sand the face of the plexiglass to give it some tooth to pick up the OP.

Also probably too much pressuse. But, what the heck, first time I have ever even seen an etching press much less used one. I'm happy I got anything.

Bill

Rusla
09-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Michael, did she say
if the pictures were changed,
would you still be saved?

Well how was I missing this challenge. I will have to do it even if I am late getting it in. I bet no one can bet which one I am doing.

Randi-Lee.

JesterDev
09-18-2008, 02:04 AM
I personally believe that with this line "You may not leave this grave yard until you discover the truth about Halloween, and it's true meaning" she meant that each image should be a personal interpretation about what they mean to you. Then again doing them exactly the same is of course welcome. :)

Looking forward to your painting Randi-Lee!

Bill, practice makes perfect. As long as your having fun and learning something new I can't imagine that anything you do with it will be a wrong choice.

Rusla
09-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Then be afraid, be very afraid. Bwahahahah!

Randi-Lee

Scarefishcrow
09-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Oh, Michael, I am having fun. It is really neat to take a medium you have worked with quite a bit and try something different with it. Or, OTOH, it is also revitalizing to take a way of working and try doing it with a different medium.

These are all things that keep us revitalized. I am a life time beginner when it comes to playing musical instruments. Whenever I tried to learn to play something, I would attack it with a passion and then develop a sense I wasn't going anywhere. I would set it aside for a while, then one day decide I'd try again and almost always things that I was struggling with before suddenly seemed to fall into place.

Don't you think this is true of creativity in general? If you try to hard then you sometimes quench the fire that ignites the creativity and you have to do something different for a while. Like you writing, painting, philosophising, starwatching, etc.

I may be getting, OT, but since it is your thread I probably am not sure there is such a thing as OT with you!!:lol: :lol:

Michael is freezing his buns off.
What are we going to do?
Let's get off our duff and start painting,
Or he could end up haunting YOU!

It's just a few old postcards;
that aare easier than others you drew.
So why aren't you helping to save him,
at least try one or two!

You don't have draw fancy,
Or use every color but two;
A quick sketch or drawing with OP
might save him from the demon's stew!

So pick up those Oil Pastels,
and work for an hour or two,
Who knows, you might be the one
who has the skill that you never knew!

Pat Isaac
09-18-2008, 01:09 PM
:lol: another poem, Bill. My DH writes poems like that for all sorts of occasions. I'm working on one, but won't get to my studio again until next week.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
:lol: another poem, Bill. My DH writes poems like that for all sorts of occasions. I'm working on one, but won't get to my studio again until next week.

Pat

You know, I don't know what triggered that. It's not high poetry, but more like the old tale telling poems in the tradition of the "Cremation of Sam McGee". Just fun stuff.

I've always been a "word person" and like playing with words.

Look forward to seeing your contribution.

Bill

Pat Isaac
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Yup, just fun stuff...being a preacher probably accounts for some of my DH's fun with words....

Pat

Rusla
09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Near the graveyard
Skyclad withces dance.
On all Hallows Eve
to give Michael a chance.

The cauldron bubbles
and boils.
Bats and jack-o-lanterns
are near by
as they hear Michaels' cries.

They now have one of each
that should be enough
above the grave to reach.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2008/127469-Boil,_boil2.jpg

Randi-Lee

Scarefishcrow
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I love it, Randi-Lee. Both the drawing and the poem.

Michael's got us all working
To save his poor hide,
Even though we tried to warn him
with laughter splitting his side.

He's not laughing now, though,
And will be a shivering mess,
Unless we get cracking,
but then I digress.

I still have one more postcard
That I haven't tried yet.
Perhaps I'll improvise on it,
That'll do it, I bet.

But one thing still haunts me,
Hidden, like wearing a mask;
If we succeed with this challenge
That's only the FIRST task!!!!

:eek: :eek:

Rusla
09-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Another good poem for you too Bill, and I liked your paintings. It was so much harder doing little people in OPs.

I forgot to say this is on an 8X10 canvas primed with Blue Haze colourfix primer. The canvas is a very inexpensive $1.00 canvas.

Randi-Lee

paul444
09-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Hope this helps you out of your grave predicament.
6 X 4 water colour paper using senns.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/82968-halloween.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
The witches and poiems are wonderful, Randi and Paul. I'm glad this isn't a test for poetry....:lol:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
09-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Paul, Fabulous rendition of the card. Really like your colors and textures.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Though our Patron Saint Pat
Has talent unequalled
When it comes to using OP

The halo she wears instead of a hat
occasionally slips just a bit
when her devilish smile we see.

Her bag never opens to let out the cat
so who knows when she's seriously joking,
she speaks and we just do her bidding!

Offer us wealth, give us this or some of that
But if you think we'd consider trading in Pat,
surely you gotta be kidding!
:angel: :angel: :angel:

It must be the spirit of the Great Pumpkin stirring in the air, don't you think??

Dr. "Sousa"

Pat Isaac
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil: I'll get you my pretty.....watch out for the witches...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/35760-hallShowLetterCAC5YI02.gif
Who moi....:angel: :angel:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
09-23-2008, 10:03 AM
And my little dog, too!!!!!!!:eek:

Actually, Toto has grown into a 60 pound lab named Zoey.

That should challenge your warts!:evil: :evil:

LadyZ
10-17-2008, 02:23 PM
had fun with this, thank u for the challenge.

Pat Isaac
10-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Great image, I love the big moon face...

Pat

Scarefishcrow
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Great job. Wonderful, bright, bold color.

Bill

starblue
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't know when the Spectre's second task begins, and I will be computer-incommunicado during Halloween week, so maybe this one picture will appease the spirit for both tasks. Or not--I had something in mind, but what I painted looks nothing like my mental image, and then after scanning the scan looks nothing like the painting, and I'm on a spare computer with an ancient LCD screen with no photo programs, so what you get is something that isn't color corrected and that has lost much of the background texture. That spirit will have to have one heck of an imagination to visualize what the original really looks like, because in a way, the image here is but a spectre of itself. Meanwhile, the painting you think you see is unveiled here.

- Pentels on 9"x12" buff-colored Canson Mi-Teintes, smooth side
- Verithins and WH pencils used for some facial details and the book lettering

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2008/83719-the-apparition-wde-700px.jpg

Pat Isaac
10-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Wonderful, Bob. Glad to see you posting....The young child looks appropriately scared. What an evil eye in the pumpkin.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Bob,
Love the contrast, bright color and details. Really great job on this.

RainySea
10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm loving all these Halloween drawings!! They are all very nice and rich in details. I hope to find the time to do one before the month is over! October is my very favorite month.

Scarefishcrow
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm loving all these Halloween drawings!! They are all very nice and rich in details. I hope to find the time to do one before the month is over! October is my very favorite month.

Yes October is a significant month. Many VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE were born in that month!!:rolleyes: :smug: :rolleyes:

BILL:cool:

Pat Isaac
10-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Hmmmmm.....wonder who???:rolleyes:

Pat

Yannse
09-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Love this one!

thevaliantx
10-29-2013, 12:07 AM
I've not ever seen this type of challenge before in the OP forums. :thumbsup:

The Halloween images remind me of my childhood, when it was actually FUN to decorate for Halloween, going to see haunted houses, the candy at school, etc. Thanks ACLU. :o

Pat Isaac
10-29-2013, 10:03 AM
It was 5 years ago and someone thought it would be fun.

Pat