PDA

View Full Version : Whats on Your Easel? Sept.14-20

~~Kathleen
09-14-2008, 01:48 AM
I can feel the paint flowing as I type......Go get 'em everyone.:smug:
~~Kathleen

susme48
09-14-2008, 02:19 AM
I forgot it was a new week...so I moved this.

Well, since I was feeling vague today...I painted vague...:lol: At this point I am just glad I did something. Yesterday's got gessoed. I just don't have any real inspiration. I think my give-a-d___ is busted...:lol: Could not be the stress or anything? Everyone else is doing such neat stuff. that I hesitated to put this up. But I thought it might make me do something better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2008/51170-ocean1x.jpg

Foxyheart2002
09-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Susan, I like it. I usually don't care for 'vague', but this has a good quality to it.

AMuse
09-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Susan - as long as you are painting!!!

I like this... it's not vague, it's more abstract :-)

OkeeKat
09-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Great that your painting Susan!! Its almost stormy/rough like the times your having..hmmm I do like it!!

susme48
09-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks, Sue! This is definitely not what I see as my ususal...but all I could seem to do.

Kathy, thank you! Not used to doing anything that I would consider abstract...but that is sort of what I was going for.

Thanks, Kathie, it has been kind of rough...he got up at 3am this am. Called people till 5, stole my keys (he found my hiding spot), and was ready to go outside, in the rain till his dad caught him. It has not been pleasant today so far...:lol: Hopefully I can go back to happy painting soon!!

Katwyld
09-14-2008, 01:21 PM
A couple comments from last weeks thread...

sveldstra, this is turning out excellent!

Elaine, I think you were born to do landscapes, dear. :) Nice work so far, I love those clouds...

Mette, looking good... beautiful shading on the clothes...

Sue, they both look excellent! Don't think you're gonna screw up TT... You will do just fine on it... it's already looking very good.

Incidently, you can put pictures up here without using the uploader... if you know the path to your pictures on your site (the whole http://etc.etc), if you copy that and paste it here, and then surround it with [ img ] and [ /img ] (minus the spaces before and after the 'img' (for example, [ img ] http://sues-art.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/3lipswipdsm.jpg [ /img ]) it'll show the picture. If you don't know how to get your path, just right click on any of the pictures you've put on your site, and select 'Properties'... it'll show you what the URL is.

Susan, I quite like it... It shows turmoil, but there's that little bit of sunshine trying to peek through... the light is ahead, just hold on. :)

Not a lot of progress on mine, but I'm quite pleased with where it is... and now that I've got this picture, I can flip it to make my reflection easier to do. (photo manipulation programs are a wonderful thing!)

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/ArtPieces/TheFishingTrip/InProgress/TheFishermen091408_600.jpg (http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/ArtPieces/TheFishingTrip/InProgress/TheFishermen091408_800.jpg)

As usual, click on the photo for a bigger view. (a holy cow big view can be seen by taking the '_800' off the end of the url in the address bar,... leave the .jpg, though. :p)

noodle1
09-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Raymo - Thank you! To answer your question from last week. I generally paint the backgrounds in first, but I'm generally doing a still or a portrait etc. since I didn't really know how to approach a landscape I just did what I always do. I more block in my areas then detail sketch them, then when I start to paint I use a reference if I have one, that way I have no confusing areas I can just paint, so I painted in the areas on the trees as I saw them. Does seem kind of backwards tho doesn't it? Thanks for mentioning that, need to rethink it next time.

Kat - hmmm so now not only are you a proficient landscape artist but a computer "wiz" as well..LOL I'm still loving this! Your painting to be clear!

Sue - It does have an abstract quality to it. When I looked at it the first person I thought of was VanGogh, I'd say you're in great artistic company. And yes the patch of light, that's all one needs. Glad you got to paint, I like it!

Elaine

Bright Eyes
09-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Sue- I think you do really well painting "vague"! Turned out excellent:thumbsup:

Kat- This is simply amazing! The reflection in the water turned out awesome!

deadsam
09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I got about 4 sketches on the way and about 30 ideas down in pen, since I can't paint right now I'm getting ready for my landing :)
all I have to do that way is draw the sucker on and start painting :)
Plus Im getting back into lino printing as well just for the heck of it and got 3 drawings to get ready to transfer over when I land.
if I can't paint at least I can draw :)
I'm doing one on time with a spiral staircase, one on a saying (for lino) titled "beyond the hidden motives lies the truth"
I got a ship painting half done lol gona do a train, a whale, and few more odd things (maybe even a stagecoach sine I'm going out west) on engraved walls.
and for some stupid reason maybe even a grizzly bear on a wall although unless I see one and make it mad to get that shot they are pretty expressionless to paint lol. Maybe I'll hold off on that one for now lol.

susme48
09-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Kat, Elaine, and Kim!

Hang in there Sam...won't be long now!

sveldstra
09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Sam I can't wait to see some of all these ideas come to life.
Susan, my heart goes out to you. Right now so little of your time is your own. I can feel and see your frustration right through your painting. (that's a compliment by the way, it's not easy to create art that makes people feel not just see.) The important thing is that you are painting when you can. Often I have discovered new techniques that work for me when I am angry or sad and just throwing paint at the canvas with no real plan, but alot of emotion. Hang in there, eventually there will be a calm in that storm, and you'll be able to get your bearings again.
Kat I am anxiously waiting to see the reflection filled in under the bullrushes.

I'm leaving the big cat to himself for a bit and starting to fill in the background, once that's in then I'll know better what touch ups he needs.

AMuse
09-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Nothing on the Easel yet...

I'm cutting out ATC sized bristol board for the kids... My oldest and I are going to a Card Swap at the end of the month. :)

Mette Rörström
09-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I just finnished this one...
20 x 25 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/130835-Duck..jpg

deadsam
09-14-2008, 04:09 PM
cool quack quack :thumbsup:

OkeeKat
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Kat,thats realy looking great!!
Ohh Mette how cute.. Love it!!

noodle1
09-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Mette Why don't I know what this is, looks so familiar, I mean kind.
Love your tail feathers, all the feathers. One thing if you will allow me, the beak, maybe tweak it a bit, or maybe it's that daub of blue/gray in background water that makes the beak look less defined as the rest. I really like this one!:thumbsup:

Elaine

Mette Rörström
09-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you,Katlee!
Sam, thank you! quack quack..:lol:
Okeecat..Thank you!
Elain....Beak? ( unknown english word,to me. )

sveldstra
09-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Gorgeous bird, what kind of duck is it. We don't have anything with colours like that here.

Katwyld
09-14-2008, 05:13 PM
A beak is his mouth. :)

I like it.... I agree that his beak could be a little more defined, but other than that... beautiful bird...

Elaine, not a wiz by any stretch, but I am a geek (heh), and have run two different forums (and, thus, had to help a LOT with that kind of thing)... just experience, really.... and willing to help. :p

Roady
09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
This is my first attempt at acrylics....and I'm noticing all of the flaws now that I put the brush down and scanned it. The picture idea is from a lesson book.
It was hard to get started with paint but after time spent with this medium, I'd have to say I really like this stuff.

sveldstra
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Roady, this is a fantastic first attempt with a new medium. Acrylics are great, much more forgiving than watercolors, and opaque enough that you can easily paint over anything you don't like and re-do it. I hope you'll share more of your work here as you continue. Especially looking forward to seeing what you choose to paint when not working from a lesson book. If you go back to last weeks thread you'll see a bike 'howyadoin' is working on, I'm pretty sure you'll like it.:cool:

for some reason the attachment didn't come up on my last post, so here is the kitty with some start at the back ground

susme48
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks Sharon!

Love your duck Mette!

Roady, I think alot of people have that book...cause I have seen this before :)...but yours is quite well done!! A wonderful first attempt!

Sharon, your cat is really coming along!!

This is what I did this afternoon...I was looking thru' pics, and found this one of my daughter.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/51170-mandiref.jpg
Gonna call it "I Can Do What I Want To"...:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/51170-mandi1x.jpg
Still have alot of work on that mouth...the sly, half-smile half-pout, taunting look is still not quite there, nor the lowered brow, set chin that she got when she was daring me to punish her. I hope I can get it...but at least I got to paint. It is on an 8x10 canvas panel.
After I get the look right I will blend the skin tones better :o
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/51170-mandi2x.jpg

noodle1
09-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Kat I was teasing, I think it's great, had I a smidgen of tech knowledge I'd have a site of my own. I could use some geek in my person. and willing to help. just a sweetie not geekish at all!

Mette I'm sorry, should have explained the word. I apologize.

Roady - I agree this marvelous for your first attempt with acrylics. They can be frustrating at first but I think those who give em a try end up liking them alot, I do.
You did this on watercolor paper or board??, maybe the pix but I'm getting that feeling from the background, personally I think that's a bit more difficult then a canvas or panel so you did fantastically. Flaws, hmm not to my eye, great job!
Hope to see more!

sveldstra Fantastic, detail does have it's rewards, this is coming along oh so fine, love it.

Sue What a cutie! Great start. Before you go too far could I suggest that you
make the eyes a bit smaller, orb wise, the one to my right on the screen is further over towards the bridge of the nose and you could say barely visible and the other follows suit in shift only more eye showing. That way ya keep the "I can do what I want look" which you did catch maybe just tweak it a bit for more "attitude" :lol: It's that 'look at you through their eyelids testing the wills. Excellent start.

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Roady this is great!! I love the trees and grass.. the sky looks a little like water colors that ran when wet. other then that it looks fantastic great detail.
Sharon Love how you did these rocks and log its realy coming along great.
Susan, OHH what a cutie, I love it!!

Katwyld
09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Elaine, let me know, I might be able to give you a hand should you want. :) Its easier than you think... and us NYers need to stick together. ;) (yes, former NYer here).

Susan, so cute! I can't give you any portrait advice, but that it just too funny... I do think the mouth on the second pic is closer, for what it's worth.

sveldstra
09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Not much change from yesterday a few more rocks. One of them I can't even tell if it is a rock or a stump, or a petrified stump, oh well one good thing about realism, if you don't know just fill in the colors and shapes and let the viewer figure it out.:lol:
Susan, the photo is great, mischief personified, I think you've found your give a d...:thumbsup:

OkeeKat
09-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Looking great sharon, you do good work on the rocks and stumps!!

here is the hummingbird I'm doing. its on 16x20 wrap canvas. this is just the underpainting so got a long way to go.. first time ever did anything this big!!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2008/137439-HummingbirdUPif.jpg

artbywr
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2008/128085-Copy_of_Rose.jpg

Just finished "Unravelled'
18x24 Acrylic on canvas

susme48
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Elaine....I saw alot that needed done when I superimposed them on the pc...I still get amazed that no matter how I do it...sketch or trace or grid...I STILL end up off...:lol: it just goes to show ya I guess. :o

Kathie, thanks...she was a test of everyone's patience...for alot of years, but she always was cute while she did it...sigh! Ohhh...nice hummingbird...and a big canvas for such a wee thing!!

Thanks Kat! She was always good at pushing the limits...if you said don't touch, she would hold her hand over whatever it was...not touching it, but just an 'nth' away to dare you; this time I told her not to open the door...she did not, just held the knob...and dared me to spank her.

Sharon thank you!!...maybe I did find it...:lol: Love how the cat is going...wonderful work!

Wendy...neat title and wonderful painting!!

howyadoin
09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Afternoon, everybody. I'm sloooowly makin' more progress on the Indian:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2860473453_c3a39c3c15_o.jpg

noodle1
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Bret- Oh now I can see it better, this is fantastic, love the background as well.I like your seat better too.

Kathie Just love hummingbirds. This is showing signs already of being fabulous, good job!

artbywr - This is absolutely beautiful. Perfect form, love the color and you definitely caught the rose in all it's beauty. Love it!

Sue - Well now you just taught me something, I never thought of putting my painting on the computer over the reference, how cool is that!
On another thread they were talking about this Epson projector, now that would be nice to have, but since they're around 700 dollars or so think I'll just try your way. :lol: Portraits aren't easy I think you're off to an amazing start.
You caught the essence of your darlin' little rascal.

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Thank you Susan and Elaine!! got a little more done on the underpainting of the bird and more of the underbrush of the flowers.

Bret, wow looking great, the seat looks much better when you look at the whole. nice details on the metal pieces so far.

Wendy, Great painting, just a beautiful rose!! agree with Susan, nice title!!
ok.. think of one for my hummingbird :lol:

susme48
09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Gonna pull up a chair here too....I'm getting tired running back and forth to watch...:)

Hmmmm....names for your hummingbird painting...Kathie...you do know what you asked?...and who??? :evil:

Now mind you I cannot help myself here....it has been kind of stressful...and my sense of humor has snuck out....:D I will apologize ahead of time....:angel:

Wee Willie Drinky??? Lord of the Flyers???
Winds Beneath My Wings??? Drink To Me only With Your Beak??? Lady Sipper??? Brown-eyed Bird??? Jack and the Flowerstalk??? Twinkle, Twinkle Little Flower??? Hummingbird, Hummingbird Fly Away Home??? Polly Put The Nectar On???

susme48
09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Bret....nice to see an update...looking good!!

artbywr
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone!
Bret-I love this piece! The colours are wonderful!
Kathie-Tiltle idea.......'Hovering'. Simply to the point.

Wendy

OkeeKat
09-16-2008, 01:16 AM
ROFL:lol: :lol: :lol: OHH SUSAN!!! you made me realy laugh out loud here, right down from the toes!!! Love them all!!!!!
Great title Wendy!!! thanks.

susme48
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Kathy....just could not help myself!

Nothing new for here....stayed up way way too late working on revisions of mother and babe....if you get a chance to peek, let me know if it is better or worse...:lol:

dhawk
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Kathy....just could not help myself!

Nothing new for here....stayed up way way too late working on revisions of mother and babe....if you get a chance to peek, let me know if it is better or worse...:lol:

Darlin', the "Paintings" button on your Soul website is a broken link...FYI!

Nice work!

susme48
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Probably because I used a template to build the new rogue's gallery...and forgot to update it...:o Thanks for telling me, Donna!! And thanks for looking!

sveldstra
09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Bret-she's looking good
Kathie-great start on the hummingbird
Artbywr- that rose is stunning

Not much done but more rocks and sticks. They look not too bad in the photo, but close up they need a lot, but this is still the roughing phase and there is a lot still to rough in.

mickeyw3340
09-16-2008, 04:11 PM
The picture idea is from a lesson book.

I have that book and have also done that lesson. You did a super job, it is not an easy lesson for a first timer. :clap:

part time artist
09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
just got a moment to pop in and post..this is what is on my easlel currently. it is a piece I am working on at the evening class I attend. sorry about the flash flare..too late to go up the studio to take a photo in the daylight strip lighting up there. I love painting apples ..there is something wonderful about the colours and the red streaking you get that accentuates their curves.

NicoleXD
09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Its all beautiful work I love it!!

OkeeKat
09-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Hello all.. I see we have some new faces here!
Hiya Donna, Jane and Nicole!!:wave:
Sharon Thanks so much!! I hope to have an update tomorrow or thurs as during the week when I work I have little time time to paint and little progress.. Hopefuly will get another photo soon. you have done a great job so far on the rocks and wood, Its getting better and better!!!
Jane, Fabulous apples and leaves.. just love all the colors!! excellent!
Sharon that video was fantastic.. amazing, I didnt realize moose had two calves( are baby moose calves?) she musta been huge!! looks like they all had a grand time in the sprinkler!!

noodle1
09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
part time artist Really very nicely done. Like the comp. Can't resist, they look "delicious'. Fine job.

Elaine

AMuse
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Kathie... I have a weakness for hummers... probably because we get so few around here... (might be the tiny terrorists scaring them off! LOL)

Bret - it's really looking awesome!

Sharon - this is really impressive. I wish I could do a big canvas... :) I can hardly wait to see how it turns out!

PT Artist - lovely - really lovely. I love the apples and the leaves - so well done

AMuse
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
OK - here is what I 've got.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/mapleleafgrl/IMG_3428.jpg

They are all wee little trading card sized experiments (2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches). I'm trying to do some little things because with the chaos this week I just can't focus on the big things! Besides working on the wee things takes the pressure off an experiment having to turn out perfectly on a big canvas or paper.

sveldstra
09-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Kathie, I got dive bombed by one of your humming birds yesterday. With the almost buzzing sound the wings make I thought it was some really big insect as it flew in and hovered in front of my chest for about 30 second then zoomed over to check out the last blooms on my hostas. It was only when it had moved on about five feet away that I could focus on it enough to see what it was. I was really grateful that I hadn't swatted it.
Part-time-artist- nice fruit. They look tasty.
Kathy I really like those bright colours, I rarely use them so I always appreciate them more when others do. They'll make beautiful cards.
I got a bigger chunk of big kitty's back ground roughed in, it's looking better now that he isn't just floating in space, it also makes it easier to see where I'll have to darken the outside of the left hind leg.
Happy painting all!:cat:

AMuse
09-17-2008, 03:13 PM
He looks really great Sharon.

I'm going to attack the Diffrent strokes painting (and start another post card... my colour is black this time.... tricky....)

romi
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I have only one on my easel (all others were exiled in the other room:-)
20" X 20" gallery wrap - first layer
limited palette (basically quinacridone red, ultramarine blue, pthalo blue, white and black)

sveldstra
09-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Romi, I really like the flow in this one pulling your eye down the path and across the scene. The quinacridone red reads almost fuschia (sorry bad spelling) on my monitor. It is a striking contrast with the blacks.

objectivistartist
09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
It is interesting, to say the least... :thumbsup:

dhawk
09-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I got a bigger chunk of big kitty's back ground roughed in, it's looking better now that he isn't just floating in space, it also makes it easier to see where I'll have to darken the outside of the left hind leg.
Happy painting all!:cat:
Hello all! Lurker here, just about have my courage up enough to post something. Had a question about big kitty...can't make out well enough on the ref photo, but his muzzle seems overlong; makes him seem less cattish... that said, he's still Grrrreat!

sveldstra
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
dhawk- I'd noticed that myself, not only is the jaw longer but in comparison to the reference photo his head is bigger too. It kind of makes him look more masculine, and almost a bit tigerish. I may yet change it once I put the rest of the back ground in, but strangely enough I find it suits him, and I'm tempted to leave it that way. LOL Its odd but some paintings do that, just develop an unexpected personality of their own. Thanks for pointing it out though.
Sharon

AMuse
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
dhawk- I'd noticed that myself, not only is the jaw longer but in comparison to the reference photo his head is bigger too.
Having seen one of these guys a little too up close and personal... I would say that he looks just menacing enough to a frightened hiker!:lol:

sveldstra
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Kathy are you kidding? I'd be terrified. When we were out in B.C. they had these signs posted in all the parks saying that they were common, and if you run into one try to stand tall, wave your hands above your head and make alot of noise, basically try to look menacing and scare it away. I had seen them before at zoos, and even a really good taxidermied one in the store where I bought my sailing wet weather gear, it was taller at the shoulder than my waist. I thought to myself, oh ya! that's going to work, me scare it.

AMuse
09-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Nope I'm not kidding we were stalked by a cougar in Waterton Park a few years back... it was probably about 10-12 feet long from nose to tail... and got about 20 feet away (what I figured would be a very easy leap) from us before it decided that we were going to be more trouble to eat than it was worth.

The really freaky thing about it was that it was the most silent creature I have ever seen. When it jumped in to the brush to go look for easier pickings it didn't make a sound.

howyadoin
09-17-2008, 07:25 PM
When we were out in B.C. they had these signs posted in all the parks saying that they were common, and if you run into one try to stand tall, wave your hands above your head and make a lot of noise, basically try to look menacing and scare it away.That's what they tell us to do when we run into cougars at the bar, too.

howyadoin
09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
All joking aside, the Indian is nearly finished now. Made some major strides over the past couple days:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2865792523_df12a3d882_o.jpg

AMuse
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh Wow Bret - it is so awesome!

howyadoin
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh Wow Bret - it is so awesome!Thank you so much. Hoping to finish it over the next couple days.

sveldstra
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Bret-I was wondering what you were up to when I hadn't seen a new update. It looks fabulous. I was waiting to see how you were going to do the engine.
And thanks for the mental image of you waving your hands above your head trying to look menacing to scare away the cougars in the bar. I'll be laughing everytime I pick up the brush tonight.

dhawk
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
That Indian is one gorgeous piece of work!

PattiLou
09-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Deleted for duplicate...... Grrr. Got a fatal error message and didn't think it posted.

PattiLou
09-17-2008, 08:41 PM
They are all wee little trading card sized experiments (2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches). I'm trying to do some little things because with the chaos this week I just can't focus on the big things! Besides working on the wee things takes the pressure off an experiment having to turn out perfectly on a big canvas or paper.

Kathy - Have you tried your new paints yet? Did you use them on your trading cards and if you did, how do you like them. :rolleyes: :p

Bret - The Indian is looking real good.

susme48
09-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Part time...wonderful apples!

Kathy, those are really interesting! Are you gonna show the ones your daughter is making?

Sharon, all I can say is wow!

Romi, nice use of color!

Hey Donna...we won't bite...put something up, and let us peak.

Kathy that is one scary story! Wow! Reminds me of an alligator that was thinking about indulging in one of my kids once in Fla. No fun!

Bret...to your first comment...ROFL!

On your Indian....WOW....Nice!! And that seems so imcomplete...this is great! Hubby is gonna go nuts!

I got a few minutes to work today....I think this is better...but a long way from done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/51170-mandi3x.jpg
In case you forgot or don't want to scroll backwards...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/51170-mandis.jpg

sveldstra
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Susan, it's coming along great. I just noticed something small though, the line from the eye on the right that shows where the nose curves down has a bit too much curve. If you straighten it just a bit it will really bring out the little devil in that eye. I noticed it by fluke because my cursor arrow was sitting in just the right spot.

susme48
09-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Sharon...not sure where the curve came from....:lol: must have snuck in when I had my attention interupted. Thanks! Around here, I get a few minutes of painting in between chasing the little big man...sigh! Today he slept alot..which tells me I won't do much tonight. Also saw while I was looking at the line from her nose...that the one by her mouth is alot straighter than I have it. Looks like I got lots more to do! Thanks again...love those extra eyes!

romi
09-17-2008, 11:59 PM
you are so brave to do such a portrait, nice work!
Romi

objectivistartist
09-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Oh yeah - that Indian is one nice piece of work there. for sure!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

trix from the stix
09-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi All! :wave: I haven't posted for a while, but I have been checking out the forums and reference library. Here are 2 paintings I just finished this week! The landscape (11x14 canvas board) is from a photo I took at Cedar Lakes (WV). We have our yearly reunion there. The second (8x10 canvas board) is a male Cardinal in the snow. Trixie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/98270-Pic989.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2008/98270-Pic995.JPG

howyadoin
09-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks, everybody. Guess I need to figure out what my next project is gonna be, now.

noodle1
09-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Kathy How great are these! Lively colors, I like "wee".

sveldstra Wow this is coming along fantastically, you are Amazing!

romi - Like the comp! I always admire people that use limited palettes, waiting to see next progression. Already draws you into it, nice going.

Bret This one is, in my opinion, by far the best I've seen from you, and that's saying alot cause they're all great. Superb!!

Very slow this week, haven't any real progress to share but hopefully soon.
Great things happening here as usual, happy painting everyone.

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Kathy, these are great little cards!! bright and cheerful, very lovely!!
Sharon, WOW, loving what you've done so far..the background really makes him pop out.. its looking fantastic!! Sorry to hear about the little hummer incident, I have never seen one, dont think they live around here.
Roni, great colors in this one.. can't wait to see more on it!!
Bret, WOW This is amazing Love all the detail on the engine, looking awesome now!!
Susan Looks fantastic!! her mouth is just right.
Hi Trixie!! These paintings are great, love both of them!!

Did alittle more on my hummingbird but not enought for a photo.. hope to do more this evening when I get home from work. maybe get update tomorrow. will see.
Happy Painting all!!:wave:

noodle1
09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Sue - You're getting there, portraits can and will make you crazy but oh the satisfaction when you arrive. Great going so far.

Trixie - Nice comp in the landscape, colors offer very peaceful feeling. Like it! Cardinal nicely done as well.

Elaine

Katwyld
09-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Whoa, y'all have been busy in here! Looks like everything is coming along nicely... Welcome to the new folks and returned folks. heh

Trixie, nice pieces... Cardinals just go well with snow... heh

Susan, getting there.. yeah, I noticed the curve, too, but otherwise it's looking good... I think ya definitely got that smile. There was devil in that one, that's for sure. :lol:

Bret, that's just fantastic... I love those colors, and how you worked the engine on it... another stunning piece from you... can't wait to see the finish, and what you come up with next!

Romi, such colors! heh Looking forward to seeing where you take this one... I'm rather intrigued by it, honestly... not usually one for the 'non-normal-colored' landscapes, but I like how you've treated this one so far.

Sharon, the background is coming along beautifully... Such detail in those rocks!

Kathy, experiments are a necessary thing, and it looks like you had a lot of fun with these! I love that little blue bird, and the bottles... Adorable stuff...

Part time artist, now you're making me hungry... thankfully I actually have apples at home... nicely done, I like the perspective on it... a little different than I'm used to seeing.

Kathie, hummingbird! Looking good... I've been trying to get a good picture of ours to painting, but I don't think it's ever gonna happen. :p

Look, progress! Finally got through the grass/cattails/bullrushes or whatever they're called... and the reflection of them... Decided to play a little with the bank and rock placement last night, and had a hard time stopping!

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/ArtPieces/TheFishingTrip/InProgress/TheFishermen091708_600.jpg (http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/ArtPieces/TheFishingTrip/InProgress/TheFishermen091708_800.jpg)

(click on the image for a bigger version)

susme48
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Sharon, Romi, Kathie, Elaine, and Kat! I played some more last night...and really messed it up...sigh. :o Then when I used the pc to check found I was off sooooo many places. Oh well...back to the drawing board. If at first...and all that. :)

Trixie...those are both nice...but wow that cardinal!

Kat...this is going to be really nice when you are done...am loving those reflections!

sveldstra
09-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Trix-I really like the colours in the water on the first painting. And I wish I had that cardinal. One of the artist guilds I belong to just had selections for the upcoming Christmas show invites and show guide. I don't think I even have anything with snow. Your cardinal would have been perfect.
Kat that shoreline came out great. I like the rocks.
Susan-keep at it. You are so brave to do a portrait, they scare me to death, and this is one you're going to cherish once it's done.
I'm still plugging away on the rocks. Today went well, I happy with how the details are starting to come in, but as you can see from the second picture, there is still so much to go.:eek:

noodle1
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Kat - This! just gets better and better. I still can't get over those reflections, just magnificent.

sveldstra - You should be pleased with the details they're fantastic!

Elaine

noodle1
09-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Stumbling along here, tons to do, maybe this will offer some idea of where I'm trying to go. For the most part I'll just lay in some more color and then refine
it with thin layers..such fun but very slow going, for me anyway.
Hopefully I paint better then I take pictures, crooked indeed. :lol:

Elaine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2008/139027-salesian_2.jpg

Bright Eyes
09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a bit, but I did get some painting done! By the way, the work on here is looking awesome folks:thumbsup: Here are the three I'm currently working on.

This is one of Billy the Kid. I was born in New Mexico, and my dad lived there for the last few years. This is kind of a tribute to being raised in the southwest.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2008/139098-Billy-1-web.jpg

This is a commission I'm doing for my husbands aunt. One of the twins is her husband (no one can remember which one).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2008/139098-Ludine-1-web.jpg

This is a painting I'm doing off of one of my friends. She is looking in the mirror. And C & C and really getting the reflection right would be much appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2008/139098-Roxy-1-web.jpg

Yay for multi-tasking! I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

howyadoin
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm still plugging away on the rocks. Today went well, I happy with how the details are starting to come in, but as you can see from the second picture, there is still so much to go.:eek:That's really coming to life. Good luck with the rest of it.

romi
09-19-2008, 12:05 AM
WOW for multitasking....
here it is mine, not sure if I moved in the right direction....if I lost something from initial spontaneity....

Romi

Artista:)
09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
This is what I'm painting now, she is going to be a Mayan Goddess so I need to finish her with her ornaments and maybe a mask. I'm trying to use a wider brush to get a more impressionist look. I think I'm little off with her torso proportions...

23"x48"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/99740-DSCF6660.JPG

Katwyld
09-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks all.... I'm getting excited about it now...

Sharon, you're doing great with it,... don't look at all you have left, look at what you've done!

Elaine, that's just awesome.... I'm so glad you started doing landscapes, you really seem to have a knack for them!

They all look good, Kim... I love the texture in them!

Romi, it looks good from here... filling in some of those spots has made a difference in my opinion at least...

Sikiu, that's pretty cool... I love her pose. but I love that fabric more!

Nothing new to show... got more work on the rocks done, but no pictures. Today will be a painting day, though! :)

OkeeKat
09-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Kat, the folage is just gettingbetter, love the mirror image!!
Sharon, great details in the rocks, its coming along great!!
Romi, looking good,not sure where this is going. but like the bold colors.
Elaine, wow the foreground is great as is your trees as always.. I just love how you do your clouds.. maybe a WIP with closeups to show how you do your clouds would be fantastic! hint hint!
Kim, these all are Wonderful! how do you manage to do so many at once, you go girl!!
Sikiu, welcome.. this is beautiful, I love your tile work, I peeked at your site. great artwork!!

Here is an update on my hummingbird painting.. worked on the background sky some and the flowers mostly.. I'm trying to get the distand overhanging trees to blur some with the background so they aren't so prominent. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My reference photos are attached.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/137439-Hummingbird1cIF.jpg

sveldstra
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Sikiu, she's a little on the skinny side in the waist, if you reduced the curve above the hip she would look a bit more realistic, but that said she's a goddess and that curve going into the hip is very dramatic and appealing. I wouldn't change a thing. The fabric trailing on the ground and leading to the figure is fantastic, it gently draws the eye up and mimics the curvatious form. Can't wait to see what you plan for her.

Shirl Parker
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
This is looking really good Kathie. Nice composite.

romi
09-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Thank you Kat & Kathie.
I think mine will go to the wall for a while :-) I don't want to mess with my rare burst of spontaneity for a while:-)

I love that goddess!
Romi

noodle1
09-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Bright Eyes You're amazing! The last is fantastic, sorry would be of no help with reflection but I think so far it's fantastic, sure you'll get it perfectily you always do. All terrific, multi-tasking for me, that's walking and chewing gum these days..LOL

Romi I still get the same feeling from it which is a spontaneous Wow.
But I know when you think you've lost something it drives you crazy, I can't see it but that's just me, still nice piece.

siku perez Love this, not sure about proportions, they look okay to me, if you go by the seven head length it all fits, maybe it's her pose, which I think is fantastically done. Or just maybe move her navel very little towards outter side, towards backdrop and a very small bit lower that might do it, but just me, sure you'll get what you're after this is so well done already.

Elaine

susme48
09-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Sharon, I cannot wait to see yours done...it is so neat! Brave or foolhearty...who knows. But if it turns out, I will have a little piece of my daughter to treasure.

Elaine...I agree...would love a tutorial on how you do your clouds!

Kim, these are interesting...I like the 3rd one...facinating!

Romi...sometimes I think it is best just to leave the spontaneous ones...too much can overwork them

Sikiu....wonderful!!

Kathy...this is a tough one...but I know you can do it!

Well...I am not sure whether I am going forward, backwards, or just wallowing in the same place....:lol:

Here are the 'befores'.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/51170-allmandis.jpg

And where I am now....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/51170-mandi6x.jpg

I realized that I do not seem to have captured that "tucked in" look with her head...and not sure how to get it. I have redone her eyes, nose and mouth, and I still feel like I am off slightly.

I laugh long and hard, when I read about other artists who think that tracing or projecting turns a painting into paint by numbers....:lol: because somehow, no matter whether I trace or sketch...my angles still end up totally different...if it is a portrait...the angle of the head is different than the ref...if it is a builing somehow it ends up facing slightly different, or at a different angle...so for me...it does not feel like paint by numbers...because I end up doing everything over, and over, and over...sigh! To me paint by numbers would be "easy", and this never is.

Funny how that old saying about back to the drawing board makes alot more sense now that I draw and paint?

OkeeKat
09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Susan, I think the eyes need to be a bit darker.. in photo very little light/white is shown under the iris/pupil due to her looking up with head down and shadow on her left neck.. I tried to play with Photoshop but not too good at it.. I got the eyes way I was thinking, with more shadow on the upper iris/pupil as its in the shadow of her eyelids.. but the neck colors are off.. just wanted to show you how more shadow makes it look like her head is down more.. I think.. also more off top of her head her hair was too high.. see ref.. i know i made the cheek /jaw too narrow with the shadow but just gettin the idea acrossed. I would also darken her hair on top as well as around hair on bangs and around the face and lighten the highlights on hair. sorry to be so critical but want to help ya...
hope this helps.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/137439-51170-mandi6xKPif.jpg

howyadoin
09-19-2008, 07:00 PM
This is what I'm painting now, she is going to be a Mayan Goddess so I need to finish her with her ornaments and maybe a mask. I'm trying to use a wider brush to get a more impressionist look. I think I'm little off with her torso proportions...

23"x48"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/99740-DSCF6660.JPGI'd say that's coming along nicely. One comment really stood out, though - the bit about impressionism and the wider brush. I'm no expert on the subject, having only started studying it recently, but it seems to me you might consider going in the opposite direction. If you look at Cezanne, Renoir, Seurat, Monet, etc., colours are generally built up with a lot of small brushstrokes.

OkeeKat
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Started another painting tonight.. a painting swap for a friend on another forum.. this is her daughter "Tina" collage portrait , and the partial underpainting. just a start.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/137439-JanDtrTina.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/137439-TinaUP1if.jpg

eliza ollin
09-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Well...I am not sure whether I am going forward, backwards, or just wallowing in the same place....:lol:

Here are the 'befores'.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/51170-allmandis.jpg

And where I am now....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2008/51170-mandi6x.jpg

I realized that I do not seem to have captured that "tucked in" look with her head...and not sure how to get it. I have redone her eyes, nose and mouth, and I still feel like I am off slightly.

I laugh long and hard, when I read about other artists who think that tracing or projecting turns a painting into paint by numbers....:lol: because somehow, no matter whether I trace or sketch...my angles still end up totally different...if it is a portrait...the angle of the head is different than the ref...if it is a builing somehow it ends up facing slightly different, or at a different angle...so for me...it does not feel like paint by numbers...because I end up doing everything over, and over, and over...sigh! To me paint by numbers would be "easy", and this never is.

Funny how that old saying about back to the drawing board makes alot more sense now that I draw and paint?
Hi Susan! Very cool idea for a portrait, and I'm so glad you can laugh about it now, this little darlin sounds like she was one continous test! I'm not sure I would have survived, lol.

I wish I had piped up sooner (sorry, just so busy lately!), this whole time I've felt the same thing--it's all in the eyes. For my money, the third version is *very* close, as far as features, just the eyes would have needed to be tweaked, I feel like that one had a very good likeness otherwise. There the eyes are painted looking away. The eyes need to look at us, but the important part is, she needs to be looking at you from the *corner* of her eye, that's what needs to be captured, to capture the little :evil:. In the latest version, there seems to be a change in the shape of her face too, especially in the lower (our left) cheek/chin area, that's working against likeness...her face is looking skinnier in the eye area, and droopier in the lower cheek chin area...hope this helps!

noodle1
09-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Sue Have to agree with eliza, it's the eyes that's what I noticed when you started, the third is the better one I think too. The white of the eye is more seen towards the right of both (my view on screen), when you surround it with white you change the direction she's looking toward. Ya got the shape in the third one I think, that slope on the left eye is really really close. Take a deep breathe it's good. Maybe before you tweak it on your canvas, just use tracing paper to catch the shapes and direction better. She probably has the most beautiful big eyes, but not in this picture, paint what you see not what you know. I have a more difficult time when I'm drawing someone I love or know well, what I know gets in the way of what I see sometimes.

Just look at it if you can as a series of lines and shapes, capture the negative space which is nothing more then an outline without any detail at all. Then you have your perimeters which you will then fill with what you see. The left,my left side of her will appear to have much more fullness then the right because of the angle, you can define that area with shading and varied skin tones. You really are doing so well with this one, don't give up
kids are tough enough to paint, this angle well kiddo you done really GOOD!!

Always say it but seeing is the key, don't paint for awhile maybe and just study the picture, get familiar with the flow and the angles and the shapes then let what you've seen transfer onto your canvas..

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
got this far on the portrait.. still have a ways to go yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/137439-Tina1cIF.jpg

noodle1
09-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Kathie Very nice so. You'd recognize her on the street just having seen this. Good going!

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Thank you so much Elaine!! that means alot to me:D

susme48
09-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Kathie...did my trick...:lol: You are right on with the placement of features. All I can see is that her face and mouth need to be just a bit wider. Amazing likeness...and as I said the placement is perfect!! She probably had those loveable 'pinchy' cheeks when she was younger. :) You have done so great here!

PattiLou
09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Susan - I played with your painting on the computer to show you my thoughts. This is very rough but I think her face needs to be shorter and a little smidgen narrower at the chin to give that "tucked in" look. Also her right eye needs to be narrower and the iris more toward the corner. Just my take and you can completely ignore it. :p This is just my opinion but I don't do portraits... just go by what it looks like to me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/125378-51170-mandi6x.jpg

gnu
09-20-2008, 05:52 PM
on my easel...
I have had Sooo much trouble uploading, only to WC of course!
So managed to attach this time...
size 1metre by 30 inches, mostly knife, about 3/4 way thru...

OkeeKat
09-20-2008, 06:14 PM
HI gnu, Looks great so far.. Love those big sunflowers!!
here is an update..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2008/137439-Tina2cIF.jpg

AMuse
09-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh Kathie.. she looks beautiful. I'm thinking of tackling a portrait of my daughter... there is this beautiful picture of her my husband took... but I'm so scared or trying it! LOL

Gnu... I love sunflowers! :) I bet this looks spectacular in person.

howyadoin
09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Rough sketch for the next one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2873053141_59b87c0713_o.jpg

objectivistartist
09-20-2008, 07:51 PM
It may seem odd, Kathie, but she reminds me of Minnie Driver.....:eek:

OkeeKat
09-20-2008, 11:05 PM
thanks much Kathy and Robert!!
I was kinda hestitant Kathy, when she asked me to do a portrait of her daughter.. I thought OHH NO, I'm not good enough at people. but hey thought go for it.. need the practice.. its coming along great!!
LOL Robert.. yeah I kinda do see a resemblence!! thanks much!!