PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your priorities straight

SuzySue
09-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I’m currently on a business trip and stopped by my favorite art store in the area. Well, they have the landscape and marine 25 piece sets of Girault 40% off. Well, they jumped into my arms and made me buy them. When I called my hubby I told him I had an accident :angel: – that I accidentally spent over $180 at the art store. (had to get other stuff too) You know if you got pastels you have to have paper to go with them. I couldn’t sit in the hotel room with pastels and no pastel paper….:wink2:

This morning I went clothes shopping and just could not get myself to spend $30 for a shirt. Then I realized what I spent on pastels without giving it a second thought. I guess I’ll go get clothes at Goodwill and garage sales.

I guess I have my priorities straight. :lol: Do you?

maw-t
09-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Mine are right in line with yours.. so I am guessing so!!

Lucky you.. what a FIND!.. Surely you told your hubby how much you SAVED!!

Adriana Meiss
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I tend to do the same thing! My pastels are better than my wardrobe!
You just have to take advantage when an opportunity like this presents itself!
I have the Doug Dawson Girault set and love them!

gourdburner
09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Who needs new clothes!? I find it much easier to spend my money on art supplies.

Shari
09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Sue, I am with you all the way. I almost never buy clothes, all my spare money goes on art supplies and it is so much more fun to buy all those little sticks of color than to try on clothes in a dressing room with fluorescent lights that leave you feeling depressed!!!

Dougwas
09-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I am sitting here in my old sweat pants and tee shirt but I have my new Mount Visions.:D My priorities are fine.:thumbsup:

Doug

DAK723
09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
When my pastel bills starting climbing too high, I joined a nudist colony to limit my other "non-essential" expenses.

Gosh, that pastel dust gets everywhere!:eek:

Just kidding, of course!

But, come to think of it, I haven't bought a new shirt in about two years....

Don

bchlvr
09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm spending way too much on pastels and art supplies...maybe Santa will bring me some clothes but who knows he may get me pastels instead!:lol:

Adriana Meiss
09-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Don,
You're a hoot! Hum, pastels in the nude.

Paula Ford
09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Why do you think I make my own clothes??? :lol:

M Douglas
09-14-2008, 02:23 AM
I couldn't tell you when I last went shopping for clothes but I could certainly tell you the last time I was in the art store so I think my priorities are in order.:evil:

Melodie

Colorix
09-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Of course it was a life-saving *neccessity* to get pastel paper too! Just imagine what the pastel sticks would have done to if you had not? You'd have sat there, on high alert and guard, making them stay in the box, but eventually, you'd gotten tired, fallen asleep, and .... and *then*... the sticks would have revealed themselves as gremlins!... Couldn't let that happen, no!

Old jeans and t-shirts on sale last a looooong way. In clothes-shops, I behave more like a man than a woman -- I don't like to stay there more than 30 seconds... Browsing art-stores, now that I could do for hours! At least a whole hour.

I just decided to not buy a thing that'd cost me as much as a large Unison landscape set... the one I'll order real soon!

Charlie

Bill Foehringer
09-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I have a room dedicated to my art but only a half a closet and a few drawers for my clothes. I think that balance is about right. BillF

Sonni
09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I've learned to eat dust and wear swipes of color. Works fine.:thumbsup:

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2008, 04:10 PM
LOL - I was in my clothes closet yesterday sadly shaking my head and saying what is wrong with this picture ... one side of my closet is devoted to "painting in" clothes ... the other side of my closet are my "better clothes." Guess which side wins!

WC Lee
09-14-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't need any new clothes ... not trying to impress anyone :D besides, I need all the extra room I can get in the closet for my art supplies ... and it's already a workout trying to get something I want out of it :D

chewie
09-14-2008, 07:30 PM
and another one here too! i wear whatever the thrift shop has, i do splurge on good shoes tho., i cannot stand bad/worn/poor shoes. but art stuff, now there i get the best i can possibly buy! new clothes are only in fashion this season, new pastels, wow, those will be good til they're gone!! i am home most of the time anyhow, so who cares what i wear?? the only problem is when i do go somewhere, what on earth can i wear?? since i dont' go often, my town clothes are usually several seasons behind! ah well, i'm jsut one of those 'crazy artist types', right?!

Goewyn
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Lol so true - I get my clothes off the sale rack at "Tar-jay" (that's how you pronounce it, right?) But the people at Aaron Bros know me on sight. Did I need the Nupastels and Art Stix I recently bought? Not really, but they were half price!!! :lol:

-- Linda

Rusla
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Well I need to renew my license plates by the end of the month. Instead of doing that I spent $200. on art supplies. I will get the plates renewed before the month ends, probably last day. As for clothes I bought a pair of jeans and a t-shirt on sale for $33. that is all I have bought in two years. However I have spent a fortune on art supplies, pastels, acrylics, paper, primer...etc.
Look at it this way, we can all paint naked but we can't paint without supplies.

Randi-Lee

knippes
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Wow, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who shops at garage sales and thrift shops for clothes and spends all of the rest on painting supplies. Guess I'll have to point this thread out to my hubby to show him that I'm not nuts (or if I am - I have lots of company:wave:). The best part is, when I'm at the garage and thrift sales, I can get great props for my paintings.
-Kym

Donna T
09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I feel so much better after reading all of this! I was beginning to worry that I was "letting myself go" because I never want to buy clothes or stuff for the house anymore. If I get tempted by some nice thing in a catalog I quickly come to my senses and calculate how many pastels I could buy instead. I did buy some new shoes last week ... for plein air painting only, I'll wear the old ones to the grocery store. :)

Donna

chewie
09-16-2008, 09:49 PM
i've also noticed my horse is MUCH better dressed than i am!! his stuff is all new and top notch, nothing second hand or second rate for him! me, heck, one of my fav. shirts is one the thrift store GAVE me!! lol!!!

claydesigner2156
09-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Gosh, I thought it was just me that salivated when I read the Pastel Journal or went to the art store. Any ideas on how to afford a set of Doug Dawson or Unison pastels?
Not sure my soul is worth a lot...but it is a tempting thought! You all do know this is an addiction...just not illegal...right?

Yvonne

SuzySue
09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm so glad I'm not alone...my co-workers just don't understand. For example, the guy I share a cube with wears new neatly pressed designer clothes and here I sit with clothes from garage sales and thrift stores that hopefully don't have too many wrinks:o

Yvonne - my hubby has been trying to get my to get rid of some stuff (like the hammock I never used) until I realized I could sell stuff and buy more pastels!!! Sunday I'm going to dig though the garage and see what else I can find.....:D

rankamateur1
09-17-2008, 10:07 AM
My underwear was in tatters so I finally had to break down and get cheapies at Sears. But has anyone gotten the Mount Vision Thunderstorm set? Do you like it?

Luana

Deborah Secor
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Uh oh. I bought a new tee-shirt and a blouse at WalMart the other day. I haven't purchased any new pastels in months. Guess I better evaluate that.

Well, does getting Wallis paper and buying some ClearBags to resell to students count? How about purchasing full spectrum light bulbs for the studio lamps? (When was the last time you spent $35 for bulbs?) Or getting a great deal on some Somerset Velvet sheets to play with? If so, I'm good to go. But all of those are write-offs, too. I guess once it's a business expense it doesn't have as much of a sacrificial aspect to it... Something for y'all to keep in mind! :lol:

Deborah

DAK723
09-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I have a confession to make. It happened a few days ago and I have been feeling the guilt ever since. I know it will be hard to believe, but it is TRUE. As many of you know, I live in Rochester, NY, the home of the online art supplier known as The FineArtStore. Here in town it is known simply as Rochester Art Supply. Along with Dakota pastels, it has perhaps the largest supply and variety of pastels in the world. Well, I was in the store on Saturday and...oh, I can barely admit what I did...the shame...the guilt....

I didn't buy one thing! I didn't spend one cent!!

Please forgive me, everyone. I have irrevocably tarnished the reputation of pastellists. I will try to make up for it as soon as I can.

Don

gourdburner
09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
The art supply store here in town gives you $100 free merchandise for each $300 you spend on non-sale items. I'm within $40 of my second round and getting to know them all by name! Can't wait to see what's new for me to try this time. They are more expensive than ordering online but I get to take it home with me and that $100 makes it worthwhile! Do ya think they'd do that at a clothing store?!

Paula Ford
09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
:eek: OH DON!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rusla
09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Here is how my priorities go: rent, cat things, utilities, gas for car and payment, those are all together. Then art supplies, food, clothes, and whatever for me. Usually the last two are non existant and good thing I can buy my tortilla flour and beans dirt cheap. They last a month.

Well, Don, get out there and buy something. Have you been going to those Artist Anonymous Meetings? You better renew your addiction or we may have to cast you out. If we lived closer we would drag you to the store. We would put the supplies in your hand because once you touch you have to buy.

Randi-Lee

Deborah Secor
09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, Don... So, real honesty is needed now. Take the next step. Which will it be? An irrevocably tarnished reputation or forgiveness??? It's expensive but there is redemption, via credit card, it seems.

:lol:
Deborah

Colorix
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Don, my son, you have confessed and if you honestly want repent, I hereby absolve you. Go now in peace and put things right with buying at least one little brush, or pastel stick. Even a kneaded eraser will do.

And, as I splurged (I believe that is the correct technical term for maxing the credit card) on a 72 stick Starter Set of Unison's, plus their Light Set, and the Orange set, and some extras (in addition to the Dark Jewels set and Special set I already have), the Universe is still in balance, the sky won't fall down.

And I'll have a haircut next month, and I can still see between the scratches on my glasses, and I can give up one of my magazines, and who needs new plants for the garden...

DAK723
09-18-2008, 12:24 AM
...and I can still see between the scratches on my glasses...
OH, NO! I replaced my scratched lenses just a few months ago, and I didn't even need a new prescription!!

I'm doomed...doomed...:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Don

knippes
09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh my Don! How COULD you?? Not one little thing?? Wow, my poor hubbie can only dream. Well, I guess it gives you an excuse to go back sometime soon - huh?
-Kym

JWebber
09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
I do not need one more pastel, not one! I do not use even half of what I have accumulated as my savings dwindled!

However I am going to a workshop at Dakota Pastels next week and what do you want to bet that I bring home another whopping bag of goodies I could truly live without!

Don, I can only hope to be as strong as you one day, do you offer counselling?

Dougwas
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
But Judy, you can't get most most of those pastels in Canada so you HAVE to buy them while you are there!! Right?:evil: Look at the money you are saving on delivery.:lol:

Doug

Snowbound
09-21-2008, 04:56 PM
My rule is pay bills, buy art supplies, see how much is left for food. Clothes are to keep me covered and decent. But I'm sorry, guys-- I took one look at my oil contract for this coming winter and decided to spend the money on having a wood stove and chimney put in. Still am waiting for the wood delivery, more $$$ up front. The payback, of course, is that the fuel savings will pay for the stove and chimney in three years (or less), and then my heating costs will be less than half what they are now. But my budget is like seriously dented right now, so I am suffering art supply withdrawal and making myself use what I already have. I am learning self-discipline.

I do go online and make wish lists though. They are really long now. Just imagine what I can do when I get through the payback period...

Dayle Ann

JWebber
09-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Of course, Doug, that is why... you are so right!!

I would have to be a fool not to stock up with the money I can save....

A Dakota moment.... priceless. Whatever comes my way there is Mastercard!!!

Colorix
09-22-2008, 06:15 AM
... making myself use what I already have. ...Dayle Ann

(Gasp!) :eek: You mean, actually *use* them! Eeek!

:D :lol: :wink2:

Colorix
09-22-2008, 06:22 AM
I do not use even half of what I have accumulated ...

Sounds familiar... I got a lot of Rembs about 10 years ago, and played a bit with them, and then didn't use them anymore, until I seriously picked them up a year ago and got dusty for real. About half of them (all the earth-tones) are still virtually unused. Now and then, I take all those sticks I do not use, and make a painting using only them, and not my normal ones. Just for variation, so, see? I *need* them still. :D At least once every second or third year.

Colorix
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
:clap: Yes, I do have my priorities straight as a ruler -- my new Unisons arrived today! :clap:

They are so rich in pigment, I feel I'm really *painting* with them. Look at these goodies:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2008/117343-Unisons.jpg

I already had the two dusty ones, lower left.

Delicious 72 piece Starter Set:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2008/117343-Unison-72-starter-set.jpg

Charlie

Dougwas
09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Have fun Charlie. They look soooooooo nice.

Doug:envy:

Lisa Fiore
09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
OOOO Charlie I'm jealous!! Wish I could reach into those pictures and grab a few!! In this time of scary (panicky) economy, I just ordered the Great American half-stick plein air set--Dakota has them on sale until the end of Sept only--I couldn't possibly miss out on that sale, right? But alas I used my mastercard, when I'm trying so hard to pay OFF debt... Oh well... What hubby doesn't know, won't hurt him! :rolleyes:

Colorix
09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Are not artists suited to maintain hope in and for the future? This crisis will pass, too, as they always do. And then we'll have stacks of paintings ready for the huge demand!

Doug, thanks, and this was my last splurge until I sell some more paintings, so you do not need to be green. :-D

scall0way
09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
:lol: I love this thread. I can understand not buying clothes. How often do you *really* need new clothes? I mean, I do have a day job, and I'm expected to dress "decently" for it, but fortunately no one demands that the clothes be constantly new and different! The blouse I have on today is at least 5-6 years old, and the slacks at least 3-4 years old. And I have plenty that are older than that. :)

But I confess I do have another [passion. Books! My house is overrun with thousands of books! I adore books! A bookmark that I got with an order from amazon.com had the quote from someone famous (whose name escapes me) that goes something like, "If I have a little money I buy books. If there is any left over I buy clothes and food".

That has been my mantra for most of my life, and when I was a teenager it drove my mom wild that I took money she gave me to buy clothes and bought books instead! And just wore the same old jeans and T-shirts all the time.

But of course now art has become a consuming passion too. So in addition to art supplies what else do I look for? Good *books* about art, painting, pastel, etc. Those are the sorts of books I want in my "keeper" library. But I actually have begun to frequent the public library a lot more lately, to save money for art supplies. Though it goes sadly against my grain to read a book and then have to *give it back*. But the art supplies are running low ....

Gee, I always ask for art supplies for birthday/Xmas. How come no one ever gives me any?

Colorix
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Gee, I always ask for art supplies for birthday/Xmas. How come no one ever gives me any?

Ask for gift-certificates for the relevant art-stores. Way easier for other people to handle. They probably just get daunted by the thought of finding something you'd want or need.

Seems you have your priorities totally right. Says another bookaholic. :D

artist_pw
09-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi:

When I travel for business and get a per diem for food, like $30 a day or so, routinely I stay in a hotel that serves free breakfast then get extra stuff for snacks and eat light the rest of the day so that I can get art supplies and not feel like I'm spending too much. Even if I don't get the per diem, I still have to get some new supplies if there's a good art store close by. It's part of the travelling necessities. In fact, when I get a new gig and know I'm going to have to travel, I love the features on internet maps that show businesses so that I can scope out the art stores early, and almost always make sure I have a little extra room in my luggage for new supplies, and try to take a watercolor pad and travel set of watercolors along with me. :)

bchlvr
09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
My priorities are way off...or is it way straight? I keep checking the Dick Blick web page once an hour to see when they are going to give the money off so I can get a 36 piece set of Unisons to try them. (Won't tell anyone I just bought a bunch of pastel but really need to try the Unisons. I'll stick to paper and single sticks for awhile after these.):evil:

robertsloan2
09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I’m currently on a business trip and stopped by my favorite art store in the area. Well, they have the landscape and marine 25 piece sets of Girault 40% off. Well, they jumped into my arms and made me buy them. When I called my hubby I told him I had an accident :angel: – that I accidentally spent over $180 at the art store. (had to get other stuff too) You know if you got pastels you have to have paper to go with them. I couldn’t sit in the hotel room with pastels and no pastel paper….:wink2:

This morning I went clothes shopping and just could not get myself to spend $30 for a shirt. Then I realized what I spent on pastels without giving it a second thought. I guess I’ll go get clothes at Goodwill and garage sales.

I guess I have my priorities straight. :lol: Do you?

Your priorities rock. I haven't bought any clothes for about five or six years now, and the last time I did was some discount target or walmart thing where I got new sweats. I have not on purpose spent $30 on a shirt in my life. Yeesh. That'd be enough to try Schminke at least with a small set.

Charlie, that was wicked of you posting the picture of your 72 starter set of Unisons. I've been drooling at those for years and you're wearing down my resistance.

Let's see... over the years since 2005 when I actually got Social Security... 185 Yarka soft pastels in a wood box (great for earth tones, no brights as such), 72 Loew-Cornell in a "wood box" that is a great sturdy container, 96 Nupastels, 10 Sennelier half stick "Blue Notes" (want more!). Plus 72 Cretacolor Pastel Pencils in a swap for an ink painting.

An oil painter/graphite artist friend gave me a set of 60 Rembrandts, barely used. His friend, another oil painter, tried pastels and hated the medium and gave the set to him. He tried the medium, hated the mess and then saw that I was doing pastel paintings, so he sent it to me out of the blue like getting Christmas in August a few years ago. I love those.

So with all that, when I got a chance to do a trade for some art supplies from Australia, I got 36 Mont Marte soft pastels and a three-drawer pastel box that's turned out to be great. I'm now thinking of picking up individual sticks in some of the brands I want to try, because I can just keep them in the drawers and use the smaller sets if I go out to draw/paint outdoors.

They pay for themselves though. I used to sell portraits on the streets of the French Quarter in New Orleans and supported myself on pastels for some years till my health crumbled.

I really like getting clothes in thrift stores because I can stock up for years on everything but underwear and still have money left for art supplies. It's not false economy. I bet one good full-page painting would pay for those Unisons if I did one again...

Artistammy
09-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I must confess that up-to-date brightly colored clothes are one of my obsessions. But I do buy them 2nd hand or a great sale. My husband notices those little purchases alot less than art supplies since I've got to order & pay all that shipping. I do tend to splurge & spend some on art supplies after I make a sell.
Tammy