PDA

View Full Version : Kara at Bodega Bay

NDee
09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/72528-Apple_009.jpg

This is one I finished this week and I think I'm finished with it but I wanted some fresh eyes on it (that's you guys!) before I varnish it. If you see anything that needs fixing let me know. Following are two of my favorite areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/72528-Apple_010.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/72528-Apple_011.jpg

sveldstra
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
It looks great to me. I love the expression on her face. You've captured the feeling of peace and awe a large body of water inspires in me. The cool colours compliment the feeling. I really like the way you've painted the strands of hair blowing back in the breeze.
Sharon

LavenderFrost
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Very nice work! I just wonder if the water needs something yet, especially by that lone rock. Maybe a couple of dark ripples to show some reflection.

NM Painter
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Nancy - This is lovely portrait of Kara in a beautiful location! Thanks for the detail of the sky, it's just right.
I'm noticing a couple of little things you might want to consider:
-Since she is the focus and in the foreground of this piece, I feel the edges of the rocks and other objects that are farther away should be softened to keep them in their place.
-The vegetation in front of her seems to me to distract from her in its contrast and edginess.
- I agree with LavenderFrost that the small offshore rock needs to be connected to the water more... perhaps with some waves/reflections/its shadow on the froth.
Please post the final version!

Magical_Realist
09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree with what NM Painter has said. My only other criticism is that the values in her face appear to be too close to those of the sky and water behind her, so her profile tends to merge with the background instead of coming forward.

But it's very well done--I love the color transitions in her face, and her hair looks alive. I used to go up to Point Reyes and Bodega Bay a lot when I lived in the Bay Area, and you've really captured the feel of the place. Nice work!

Charlie's Mum
09-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree with the comments above, so won't repeat them!
I also think you picked out the two most successful areas and would like to see the other areas brought up to the same standard!
Lovely feeling of cool, windy day!

OkeeKat
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Fabulous painting!! Kara is gorgeous and so is the rest of the painting!!
very well done, Love it!

objectivistartist
09-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Has sort of a Wyeth look to it, even tho is not a drybrush rendering... very interesting, and well done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

NDee
09-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you all very much! These are all great suggestions. I'll play with it some more and let you see the results.

Aires
09-12-2008, 11:47 PM
:thumbsup: Both paintings are lovely. The only comment I would make is about the two rocks in the seascape. They appear to be setting on the water rather than in the water - maybe a bit of foam or water splashing as it swishes around and over them would do it? Please do let us see your finished pictures. They are nice paintings.

Chia
09-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I also thought of Wyeth when I saw this. I love the composition and the feel of the painting. A few small tweaks around the rock area & it'll be perfection!

NDee
09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2008/72528-misc_002.jpg

I finally got back to work on this and I tried to address all of your suggestions. The color in my photo is a bit more washed out than in real life but I did darken the sky behind her face and it looks much better. I didn't go too heavy on the spray on the rocks as they are really very far away but I did soften them some and added some details. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

NDee
09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2008/72528-misc_002.jpg

I finally got back to work on this and I tried to address all of your suggestions. The color in my photo is a bit more washed out than in real life but I did darken the sky behind her face and it looks much better. I didn't go too heavy on the spray on the rocks as they are really very far away but I did soften them some and added some details. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!I forgot to mention the size, it's 24x36.

~~Kathleen
09-25-2008, 08:54 PM
The style in which you painted the lovely young lady tells me that any more detail in the background would be very distracting.
I Think that the simplicity of this painting is wonderful and speaks volumes.
Absolutely Fabulous to my eyes!
~~Kathleen

NDee
09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Thank you so much Kathleen! It means so much to hear what you have to say!

~~Kathleen
09-25-2008, 09:50 PM
:)

Aires
09-25-2008, 10:27 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for showing us your finished painting. This painting is about Kara, everything else is simply background and you have carried it well. You've let us share the pleasure Kara is feeling as she looks out over the ocean and feels the breeze blow through her hair. A lovely girl

susme48
09-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Nancy this turned out beautifully!! Just the darkening of the sky and the touches around the rocks, really brought it together. She is lovely and so is the painting. They both seem serene!

NDee
09-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Thank you Susan and Aires! I hope they like it too!

ExpressiveAngie
09-27-2008, 09:16 PM
It's just lovely! a coming of age feeling...yanno? :clap: