PDA

View Full Version : cleaning or remaking oil pastels

saralindsey
09-12-2008, 12:50 AM
I am replacing an art teacher who apparently did not take care of her supplies as I was taught to do. So I have been spending alot of time attempting to repair or rework supplies because my supply budget is really tight due to other financial factors in the district. I have a ton of old broken oil pastels and they are getting too small to use and I hate to waste so many bits, is there a way to remake them like with soft pastels? Any advice would be appreciated.

Scarefishcrow
09-24-2008, 12:57 AM
I am replacing an art teacher who apparently did not take care of her supplies as I was taught to do. So I have been spending alot of time attempting to repair or rework supplies because my supply budget is really tight due to other financial factors in the district. I have a ton of old broken oil pastels and they are getting too small to use and I hate to waste so many bits, is there a way to remake them like with soft pastels? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sara,
Sorry for missing your post as this is an archive area.

Oil Pastels are pretty simply beeswax with a bit of mineral oil and various other minor ingredients along with the pigment.

They melt very easily at a low temperature (even a griddle or electric skillet set to the lowest power setting would typically be warm enough).

Using small metal containers you can simply melt the OP's then carefully pour them into tubes made of something like heavy weight aluminum foil and allow them to reharden.

If they are dirty or contaminated with other colors you probably should wipe them clean first; if you have problems dipping a paper towel in mineral spirits first would help.

Simply sort out the colors and melt the pieces and remold them into sticks. It is that simple. It is also a way of mixing colors of OPs if you wish, melting them together in the right proportion and remold them.

Sorry for the slow response; Hope this helps.

Bill