PDA

View Full Version : The Hat

zoropb
09-11-2008, 10:10 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-11-2008/127813_Hat1small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-11-2008/127813_Hatportion.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Hat
Year Created:
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 20x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here is the 2nd digital. I added a close up of the digital brush strokes. Just trying to learn this stuff.
Any comments appreciated.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
>

MRSBB
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Sergio. I do like this painting, but I don't understand the digital aspect of it. Is it painted by using the computer and a paint program, or do you actually take a brush in hand and paint it. It's very different from your other work, which is pretty awesome. Keep having fun.........Lenore

zoropb
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
They are paint brushes in the program. You use them like you do in real life just easier clean up lol. There are like a hundred+ brushes. I got a small walcom tablet and stylus to paint with. Thanks Lenore

S

Corby
09-11-2008, 12:27 PM
What a beautiful composition! And the color harmony is absolutely wonderful. The icing on the cake as it were is the hat/table relationship! The table top almost becomes the hats brim and the mild surrealism is delicious! Very nice Sergio!

zoropb
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Good eye Corb sheesh man! I was going to put more shadow there but decided to stop where it is.
What is way fun about this is I can be looser than normal as you just control z the last brush stroke and retouch the area the way you want it. It is such a pain in analog that I try to control the strokes to much. Maybe this will help my analog painting to get a little looser hmmm. Well anyway it sure is fun. Thanks big C way cool when you weigh in.

Sergio

tgsloth
09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Did you know that when I played street basketball in NYC at student age, my nickname was "The Hat"? I thought it was because I played with a flop hat but others argued that when I shot the ball, it was as if the basket had a hat on it.

Anyhow, your composition is magnificent. It would make a great painting, great photo or great piece of digital art. And what I'm seeing more of these days is photos being hit with "art" photoshop filters such that they come out looking like your creation.

I was in a sketching group with a live model some time ago with about 30 artists and three guys were "drawing" right into tablet computer screens. They did pretty good too.

I wouldn't push the "digital art can sell for less" argument too hard. Some digital artist spend more time than us brush jockeys. And there's digital art which is "enhanced" by brushwork. And of course we can sell sketchy things like aceo's and The Archival Digital Print Formerly Known as Giclee.

zoropb
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah Bob There are lots of ways of painting in the program I am learning them. Lots of material to master. I agree there are some works I seen in this medium in my research that probably took for ever I was talking about the average. Many that I saw where the artist said it took them 10 hours would take a week in analog at least. I find this pretty cool and the potential amazing. Thanks for the nice comments guy.

Sergio

La_
09-12-2008, 10:50 AM
hmm, i too like the comp and colors, and the nice painterly effect, but think the hat needs a bit more separation from the table ... both being white it appears that the hat is exactly the same diameter of the table so i would strengthen the shadowline under the hat a wee bit more, imho

la

allanom
09-12-2008, 12:03 PM
It's hugely clever in it's simplicity and has a neat surreality to it, as Corby points out. The brush strokes are delicious, even if virtually applied!

tali
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Just a quick note to let you know how much I love this. The compositions is perrrrrfect IMO. The light effect so inviting. My only lament (and why I have taken so long to comment) is the lack of texture that brush paint strokes provide. Is there any way to program your digital bushes to cast the tiniest of drop shadows and spectoral highlights? Or perhaps you can print it and brush some acrylic gel over it. Just some thoughts....

Gwenlyn Norton
09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
I really like this, Sergio. It's so European. I can hear music playing in the background with the soft voices of happy conversation and laughter.

zoropb
09-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah L I was battling do I seperate it more or not. Sometimes I want to and sometimes I don't. Thanks )

OMG al wow thanks for those nice words. I appreciate it.

Super T hey I got training wheels on still!!! {- hey It's been about 2 weeks and a couple of days for me with this thing . I think I can program those suggestions >. There are some cool impasto and texture brushes I got to play with next. Thanks for the super nice words.

Sergio

Ronni
09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi S. :) I was hezitating how to comment to this one, I am not used to digital works; and it dissapeared, and now I found it.
I like the fact you keep trying new technics and I enjoy trying to find the common denominator of all your so different works. In my eyes, the qualities special to you, are first of all, delicate humor - the hat looks flying, so much it fits the table. Another quality is the complete controlling and perfectionism. You certainly find an original point you look from at scenes. This is a director's way of looking. Very interesting and amusing!

billmahler
09-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Great work, Sergio.
I'm not a fan of digital, but you just took a major step toward making me one.
What software program are you using?
I have to find one of those tablets!

_emily_
09-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Wonderful piece! Thanks for sharing!

GavinD
09-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Good painting, Sergio. It has a sense of mystery about it, reminiscent of 'The Talented Mr. Ripley', or something like that. What is the program you used? I like to mess around with Corel Painter occasionally.

Cheers,
Gavin