GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Falls -WIP
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x40 apx
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I know it looks a little surreal, that was unintentional. I hate the trees on the right. Help

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments are appreciated.

Spyderbabe
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/23281-Image1.jpg

Chop them down! They dont have to be there.

shirleyq
09-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Try softening edges in the background to get rid of the surreal look.:) Especially the rocks and the left bank where the bank ends and the water begins. Gray down the colors in the background also. This will help get more depth. I like the changes that Syderbabe made with the trees. She is right, they don't need to be there. Good luck. Let us see your changes.:)

Bizkit
09-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Hmmmmm...I think the trees give this much more balance than without them....just my two cents.

billmahler
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
This is a fresh way to look at a familiar subject.
I like it!

carltonm
09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Eye-catching! I'm intrigued by your stylistic choices. I kinda liked it with the trees, too.

Corby
09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
It is I think the unusual style in which the rocks are painted that gives it its dash of surrealism. I like it! With or without it is nice, but I too kind of like it with the trees because they hide protect screen 'The Revelation of the Stone' which has a slight essence of...threat? Something not meant to be seen? Emotionally for me it goes beyond just the waterfall.

creodont
09-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Use a different brush but do not cut them down. Dabbling foliage gives it one way of doing vegetation. Try using detail brushes to bring out some of the varied twisted branches up front and in the back . It helps to know what kind of trees you wish to do do. I would google lets say yellow pine or pinyon pine as examples and then add photos and then you would have a reference to go on. Trees as such will give a distinctive touch to your work by knowing what kind they are. The rocks look artificial but by far are the strongest part of your painting . do not touch them but in your next paintings explore this oppurtunity with other shapes and textures..john

Phranque
09-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I really like the composition and subject. The rocks are really sculpted and stylized which I like. The foliage is painted in a different style and fussy IMO. I would use bigger brushes and do a more stylized representation of foliage that will tie in better with the rocks. I would also tone gown the contrast between the rocks and the water at the bottom and bump up the contrast between the trees and sky. I feel the way it is now the eye is led off the bottom a bit.